• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2012 (Oct 08 - Oct 14)

Apparently there's an image of the Kingdom Hearts browser game out.

It actually looks pretty cool and high effort. I wonder if it would have been a handheld game in the GBA/DS era given Kingdom Hearts: Chains of Memory.

Maybe, but the portable line has had enough resources put towards them to be considered full games at least for BBS and 3D. I think the real question for Nintendo (and I guess Sony can be included here as well) is why Square Enix's iOS games are being developed as multiplats for the E-shop. This applies to a bunch of Japanese publishers. If Nintendo really wants the E-shop to mean something, having more big name publishers developing on it would be in their best interest.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo's Q2 financial results will be released in just two days. Maybe we'll hear something then. *shrugs*

Actually, three.

Checked in their schefule: they always release the results on Wednesday, but they make it public the day after ( Thursday) and then, on Friday, there's the Invrstor Meeting.

Kenka

This is gonna be a week of significance: Nintendo's first attempt at selling DLC was crowned with success beyond everybody's wildest expectations and there is little doubt that they will present the analyzes of these results, and comment about future DLCs also. We could hear about Smash Bros and Pokémon in the upcoming Nintendo Direct, above all.

Third parties may also want to make some announcements in that regard.

We will probably know this week how we will be tempted to throw more money at them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Store 7
- FIFA 13 over 50% sellthrough, doing better than FIFA 12. In terms of copies sold PS3 >>> Vita > PSP.
- Zero no Kiseki limited edition around 50% sellthrough, regular edition is... yeah.
- Little Battlers W around 30% sellthrough, both versions selling here and there.
Is this where the 1st day sellthrough numbers come from? I thought it was Famitsu general salesthrough.

Mpl90

Comgnet's corner

[PS3] Tales of Xillia - 852pt
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 - 461pt

[Wii] Animal Crossing: City Folk - 84pt + 58pt or less than 58pt = 142pt or less than 142pt
[3DS] Animal Crossing: Jump Out - 291pt

[PSP] Super Robot Taisen Z2: Hakai-Hen - 201pt + 78pt = 279pt
[PSP] Super Robot Taisen Z2: Saisei-Hen - 130pt
[PS3] Super Robot Taisen OG2 - 192pt

[PSP] AKB1/48: If I loved an Idol - 89pt + 31pt or less than 31pt = 120pt or less than 120pt
[PSP] AKB1/48: Idol to Guam de Koishitara... - 133pt + 30pt = 163pt
[PSP] AKB1/149 - 155 + 30pt = 183pt
[PSV] AKB1/149 - 29pt or less than 29pt

[PS3] Yakuza 3 - 194pt
[PS3] Yakuza 4: Densetsu o Tsugumono - 178pt
[PS3] Yakuza 5 - 110pt

[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Subtitled Edition - 38pt
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Subtitled Edition - 61pt
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Subtitled Edition - 92pt

Could anyone explain to me the business strategy behind games still being released on the Xbox 360 in Japan or games that sell less than 5,000 units in the opening week? I just cannot realistically wrap my head around how a publisher can recuperate the various costs associated with bringing these games to store shelves. Licensing, translation, marketing, distribution, etc., cannot be made up from only a couple thousand units, can it?

Take Dishonored for 360 which released this week. At less than 5,000 units sold, isn't it pretty safe to assume that the title will never crack of 10,000 units? What's the point of even releasing this title for not only a market that doesn't care for it, but on a system that has been fairly dead for almost 3 to 4 years in Japan. I get that the game is a multiplatform title, which is already being released in western markets on both consoles, but why waste resources by doing the same in Japan? If it was "free" money, then yes, I understand, but like I mentioned before, all things considered I cannot possibly see a few thousand units covering all the fixed costs with releasing the title.

I mean we see more 360 releases at this point then Wii, and it's not like either system provides many overall units -- so what gives?

Could anyone explain to me the business strategy behind games still being released on the Xbox 360 in Japan or games that sell less than 5,000 units in the opening week? I just cannot realistically wrap my head around how a publisher can recuperate the various costs associated with bringing these games to store shelves. Licensing, translation, marketing, distribution, etc., cannot be made up from only a couple thousand units, can it?

Take Dishonored for 360 which released this week. At less than 5,000 units sold, isn't it pretty safe to assume that the title will never crack of 10,000 units? What's the point of even releasing this title for not only a market that doesn't care for it, but on a system that has been fairly dead for almost 3 to 4 years in Japan. I get that the game is a multiplatform title, which is already being released in western markets on both consoles, but why waste resources by doing the same in Japan? If it was "free" money, then yes, I understand, but like I mentioned before, all things considered I cannot possibly see a few thousand units covering all the fixed costs with releasing the title.

I mean we see more 360 releases at this point then Wii, and it's not like either system provides many overall units -- so what gives?

If its a multiplat then translation and marketing costs are pretty much covered by the ps3 version so any sales on 360 pretty much are free money, its the niche otaku 360 exclusive stuff that baffles me

VAPitts

Don't know why GEIMIN.net hasn't updated with it. They got it months ago. May have to consider other means (that take more time to process) to get it...

MC doesn't put brackets around the titles. That's just for posting there. Vita is 'Vita'. 360 is 'XB360'. Wii U will probably just be 'WiiU' or 'Wii U'. They don't have some three character limit going on for the official listings.

oh i see, thanks for explaining that.

If its a multiplat then translation and marketing costs are pretty much covered by the ps3 version so any sales on 360 pretty much are free money, its the niche otaku 360 exclusive stuff that baffles me

Well the translation is there, sure, but isn't there labor involved with coding the 360 version to include Japanese text, Japanese manuals, etc.?

muu

A lot of those are ridiculously low labor. KID, er 5pb, er MAGES has a multiplat galge engine set up so there's little to no development that needs to occur for these games to be released. Straight up ports have probably all of 10 people working on them, if that.

Road

Nope. Famitsu never provided official first-day sell-through, and Sinobi hasn't leaked those figures in years.
Famitsu first-day report has sell-through.

I see. Is it possible to know how things are in general if those numbers are only from one store?

The widespread notion is that the blog has access to Media Create reports. I have never seen confirmation of it, but it's just a curiosity anyway.

November Releases

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3) 11-01
Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (PS3) 11-01
Okami HD (PS3) 11-01
Animal Crossing: Jump Out (3DS) 11-08
Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires (PS3) 11-08
Halo 4 (360) 11-08
Silent Hill Downpour (PS3) 11-08
Assassin's Creed III (PS3,360) 11-15
Summon Night 4 (PSP) 11-15
Medal of Honor: Warfighter (PS3,360) 11-15
Assassin's Creed III: Lady Liberty (PSV) 11-15
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Subtitled (PS3,360) 11-22
Hot Shots Golf 6 (PS3) 11-22
E.X. Troopers (PS3,3DS) 11-22
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate... (3DS) 11-23

Take your picks, suggest others.

Just looked at 3DS's line up for the rest of the year at Famitsu's page...it's not absolutely crazy, but there's definitely strong potential from a lot of titles. And a lot of shovelware, but that comes part in parcel with being so successful.

3DS
Software:
AKB48+Me
Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd
World Soccer Winning 11
Nicola Kanshu Model Oshare Oodishon Purachina (Nicola Editor Model Style Audition Platinum)
Animal Crossing: Jump Out
Jewel Pet Magic Style Dance GO
Aikatsu: Cinderella Lesson
Monster Hunter 3 G Best Price
Ouchimai Tamogotchi
E.X. Troopers
Dangerous Old Man & 1000 Friends
Sparkling Nurse Tale 2
Rhythm Thief (Sega The Best)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate & the Infinite Labyrinth
Naruto SD Powerful Shippuden
Unchained Blades: Exxiv
Inazuma 11: 1/2/3
Professor Layton X Ace Attorney
Paper Mario: Super Sticker
Inazuma 11: Go2 Chrono Stone
My Kingdom Let's Get A Handsome Boyfriend! Heart-racing School Days
Toriko: Gourmet Monsters
I'm an Air Traffic Controller/Airport Hero 3D Narita with ANA
Fantasy Life

Hardware:
3DS LL Black
3DS LL Monster Hunter 3 G Pack
3DS LL Animal Crossing: Jump Out Pack
3DS LL NSMB2 Pack

I guess I never stopped to think about how much was coming here this year.

Hobby

Just looked at 3DS's line up for the rest of the year at Famitsu's page...it's not absolutely crazy, but there's definitely strong potential from a lot of titles. And a lot of shovelware, but that comes part in parcel with being so successful.

3DS
Software:
AKB48+Me
Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd
World Soccer Winning 11
Nicola Kanshu Model Oshare Oodishon Purachina (Nicola Editor Model Style Audition Platinum)
Animal Crossing: Jump Out
Jewel Pet Magic Style Dance GO
Aikatsu: Cinderella Lesson
Monster Hunter 3 G Best Price
Ouchimai Tamogotchi
E.X. Troopers
Dangerous Old Man & 1000 Friends
Sparkling Nurse Tale 2
Rhythm Thief (Sega The Best)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate & the Infinite Labyrinth
Naruto SD Powerful Shippuden
Unchained Blades: Exxiv
Inazuma 11: 1/2/3
Professor Layton X Ace Attorney
Paper Mario: Super Sticker
Inazuma 11: Go2 Chrono Stone
My Kingdom Let's Get A Handsome Boyfriend! Heart-racing School Days
Toriko: Gourmet Monsters
I'm an Air Traffic Controller/Airport Hero 3D Narita with ANA
Fantasy Life

Hardware:
3DS LL Black
3DS LL Monster Hunter 3 G Pack
3DS LL Animal Crossing: Jump Out Pack
3DS LL NSMB2 Pack

I guess I never stopped to think about how much was coming here this year.
Also Acrylic Palette ~Irodori Cafe * cheers~, which is due 12/20.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/10/22/60717.html

Famitsu first-day report has sell-through.

The widespread notion is that the blog has access to Media Create reports. I have never seen confirmation of it, but it's just a curiosity anyway.

November Releases

Okami HD (PS3) 11-01
Halo 4 (360) 11-08
Silent Hill Downpour (PS3) 11-08
Assassin's Creed III: Lady Liberty (PSV) 11-15

Take your picks, suggest others.

My picks. Also, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright and Taiko Wii, unless they aren't counted in this November?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Okami HD (PS3) 11-01

My picks.

Yeshua

My picks :

Halo 4 (360) 11-08

Mpl90

Bravely Default is sold out on Amazon, but somehow it jumped right back to #1. What the hell, lolololol.

The demand seems to be really high for an RPG which didn't had a BIG debut (500k or more) in its third week. Can't wait for second week's number.

beril

Well the translation is there, sure, but isn't there labor involved with coding the 360 version to include Japanese text, Japanese manuals, etc.?

10 000 units is more than half a million dollars in revenue. There are full games with lower budgets than that

November Picks

Okami HD (PS3) 11-01
Halo 4 (360) 11-08

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Following our complaints that Square Enix Japan isn't announcing enough Japanese games, they unveiled four games today: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496737

1.) Final Fantasy x GREE:

qj2Yf.jpg

2.) The World Ends With You LIVE Remix:

3.) Circle of Mana

4.) Chocobo no Chocotto Nouen

With these four titles combined with Emperor's SaGa, let it be known that Square Enix does not abandon their IPs nor the Japanese market.

Mpl90

Following our complaints that Square Enix Japan isn't announcing enough Japanese games, they unveiled four games today: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496737

1.) Final Fantasy x GREE:

2.) The World Ends With You LIVE Remix:

3.) Circle of Mana

4.) Chocobo no Chocotto Nouen

With these four titles combined with Emperor's SaGa, let it be known that Square Enix does not abandon their IPs nor the Japanese market.

Yay!!!

...Even if low-as-fuck efforts shouldn't be considered XD

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, this is a bit tangential, but I know one of the discussion threads that leaked into sales-age was that publishers were moving toward their own internal engines, which might have an effect on the middleware market, and Square Enix was an example of that.

However, since they signed an Unreal Engine 3 and Unreal Engine 4 license that applies to all of their studios, it seems that the benefits of leading edge middleware might be outweighing the strengths of some companies' internal engines to the point they still want to invest in middleware.

Notably it also applies to phones, so it supplements their mobile development as well.

Nekki

Okami HD (PS3) 11-01

My picks

test_account

XP-39C²
I see. I was curious since it said "Store 7" and i've seen people refer to those numbers sometimes when talking about previous sales. I always thought they were numbers for whole Japan in general.

Hobby

I see. I was curious since it said "Store 7" and i've seen people refer to those numbers sometimes when talking about previous sales. I always thought they were numbers for whole Japan in general.
I actually didn't know "store 7" wasn't a store and was the source for first day sellthrough numbers until it was pointed out earlier. The rest are actually anecdotes from guys that do work at stores, though, as far as I know.

Edit:
Kokoro Connect (PSP) release date set for 11/22.

http://kokoro-connect.channel.or.jp/

Valhalla Knights 3 (Vita) release date is 1/31/13.

http://remoon.blog15.fc2.com/blog-entry-23249.html

Monster Monpiece (Vita) release date is 1/24/13.

Gradivus

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy did a lot better than I expected.

any idea at what time info relating around Nintendo's Q2 financial results will be out?

Nintendo's earnings are out.

NSMB2 over 3 million.

3DS shipment forecast lowered by a million

They give seperate WiU forecasts this time. 5.5 million for the fiscal year

edit-net income forecast for the fy slashed big time.

Mpl90

October 25

Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing
(for institutional investors and securities analysts)

Pachter lol.

antonz

3DS sold 5.06 million q2 versus 3.07 million last year. Sales are up but Western sales still considered disappointing

Hobby

- 5.06 million 3DS
- 980k DS
- 1.32 million Wii
- 4.26 million BW2
- Mario Party 9 over one million
- Wii U hardware to have negative impact on Nintendo's profits

Top Bottom