• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2013 (Oct 07 - Oct 13)

saichi

So looks like 3DS in en route to do even better than in 2012, since the Holidays season is yet to come, and Pokémon X and Y aren't taken into account here (plus some additional sales for Monster Hunter 4). And it's pretty clear now the the 3DS got most of the audience of the PSP, which compensates for the casuals leaving for more mobile pastures.

And I had forgotten how strong the DS still was when the 3DS launched.

While 3DS is doing well, I'm not sure if 3DS + DS this year would do better than 3DS + DS in 2012.

I don't usually post this for a variety of reasons, but I think it may be somewhat relevant this week:

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Top 5 Wii U Software Sales Rankings: Week 42, 2013 (Oct 14 - Oct 20)[/U][/B]

1) The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Sold 3,069 units at rank #26 last week (according to Dengeki)

2) New Super Luigi U
Sold 1,419 units at rank #37 last week (according to Dengeki)

3) Pikmin 3
Sold 1,418 units at rank #39 last week (according to Dengeki)

[B]4) Rayman Legends[/B]

5) Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online

I really hope Tsutaya is inaccurate when it comes to Wii U software rankings next week. If Rayman Legends doesn't make the Top 3 Wii U Software charts, it may very well debut under 1.5K.

yeah, well I hope Tsutaya is accurate with Pokemon Y>Pokemon X so.... :p

vareon

Is there any hype or talks about Gaist Crusher in Japan? I kinda think Capcom really, really want it to succeed. Like they're throwing money to make this a craze in Japan.

Kid Ying

I don't usually post this for a variety of reasons, but I think it may be somewhat relevant this week:

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Top 5 Wii U Software Sales Rankings: Week 42, 2013 (Oct 14 - Oct 20)[/U][/B]

1) The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Sold 3,069 units at rank #26 last week (according to Dengeki)

2) New Super Luigi U
Sold 1,419 units at rank #37 last week (according to Dengeki)

3) Pikmin 3
Sold 1,418 units at rank #39 last week (according to Dengeki)

[B]4) Rayman Legends[/B]

5) Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online

I really hope Tsutaya is inaccurate when it comes to Wii U software rankings next week. If Rayman Legends doesn't make the Top 3 Wii U Software charts, it may very well debut under 1.5K.
I think that's spot on and only with lucky we will see Rayman charting.

Usually some people says when a game bombs that it was sent to die, had no ads, etc... But in this case it actually is true. Nintendo had no ads for Rayman, nor any kind of promotion. I think they agreed to publish the game when Rayman was still exclusive and after that debacle, they just went with the flow and sent the game to the stores. The game have very little ratings on the eshop and almost no one on miiverse. Never sold well on any sites... I can't see Rayman being a sucessful story.

Impressive so only MH itself, GE and Phantasy Stars are bigger ?
What's more impressive is that it's new IP. As far as I can tell, God Eater and Dragon's Dogma are the only new IPs with stronger debuts in Japan the last few years. For more you have to go back to the heyday of the Wii and DS.

L~A

While 3DS is doing well, I'm not sure if 3DS + DS this year would do better than 3DS + DS in 2012.

I think it's quite possible with the Holiday push. The 3DS would need an additional 7M software sales till the ned of the year, 5M actually, since Pokémon X and Y sold roughly 2 millions the first week. That + Monster Hunter + the other 2013 release, I think the 3DS CAN do better than 3DS + DS last year.

sörine

Banned
What's more impressive is that it's new IP. As far as I can tell, God Eater and Dragon's Dogma are the only new IPs with stronger debuts in Japan the last few years. For more you have to go back to the heyday of the Wii and DS.
There's also NiNoKuni and Just Dance.

Yanikun

Banned

Tousouchuu? Isn't it past 500,000 already?

Yanikun

Banned
Isn't that game based on a TV show?

It is, but it's a completely new video game IP, and one that doesn't benefit from being in the most popular genre in Japan at the moment (action-hunting seriously has become Japan's first-person shooters). The game started quietly, but its tail is just ridiculously long.

Spiegel

It is, but it's a completely new video game IP, and one that doesn't benefit from being in the most popular genre in Japan at the moment (action-hunting seriously has become Japan's first-person shooters). The game started quietly, but its tail is just ridiculously long.

No one is denying that the game has been a huge success, there's no need to downplay other game's successes. But if it's based on a TV show then it's not a new IP.

No one would be putting the first Dragon Ball game ever released on a list of new IPs.

Yanikun

Banned
No one is denying that the game has been a huge success, there's no need to downplay other game's successes. But if it's based on a TV show then it's not a new IP.

For example, the first Dragon Ball videogame ever released was not a new IP.

There's a big difference there, with something like Dragon Ball. Tousouchuu isn't a series, like an anime or whatever, it's a game program, with contestants. It's a new video game IP to me because of its unique situation, but I understand that it might not be eligible.

Famitsu is out, and what is THIS:

【1/30】[3DS] イメージエポック「闘神都市」

Google Translate:

[1/30] [3DS] image epoch "Toshinden City"

o_O Hope it's an RPG, but the name, Takara Tomy owns Toshinden and hence that's a problem? Of course it's likely a mistranslation. Any takers?

crinale

Famitsu is out, and what is THIS:

【1/30】[3DS] イメージエポック「闘神都市」

Google Translate:

o_O Hope it's an RPG, but the name, Takara Tomy owns Toshinden and hence that's a problem? Of course it's likely a mistranslation. Any takers?

It's a port of oooooooooold "Eroge" I heard...

Bo130

Do people expect Pokémon to pass Monster Hunter 4 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf already after two weeks? With the Rayman Legends information above it seems likely that the Wii U will hit another new low this week :/

Rock_Man

Do people expect Pokémon to pass Monster Hunter 4 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf already after two weeks? With the Rayman Legends information above it seems likely that the Wii U will hit another new low this week :/

No. Yes.

Rayman sold 1k last week.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nope. The Luigi add on and the retail version are treated as the same release, and the online add on is not treated as DLC for NSMB Wii U.
Makes sense. Thanks again =)

There's a big difference there, with something like Dragon Ball. Tousouchuu isn't a series, like an anime or whatever, it's a game program, with contestants. It's a new video game IP to me because of its unique situation, but I understand that it might not be eligible.
Arent there many seasons of Tousouchuu? Or do you mean that it is a difference situation because there are different contestants in each season and not the same characters/people in the show all the time? Just wondering out of curiousity.

But regardless of being a new IP or not, it sold really great. Its surprising how consistent it sold for a longer period of time, it was a great success indeed. I wonder how the sequel will sell (maybe it isnt directly a sequel, but i think it has some relation to Tousouchuu?).

Yanikun

Banned
Makes sense. Thanks again =)

Arent there many seasons of Tousouchuu? Or do you mean that it is a difference situation because there are different contestants in each season and not the same characters/people in the show all the time? Just wondering out of curiousity.

But regardless of being a new IP or not, it sold really great. Its surprising how consistent it sold for a longer period of time. I wonder how the sequel will sell (maybe it isnt directly a sequel, but i think it has some relation to Tousouchuu?).

An anime comes with a fanbase that's video-game ready. The same people who watch Dragon Ball or One Piece or Pokemon already want to play games based on them. It's a built-in audience of geeks (sorry for the way it sounds, but it's true). There's a whole well-established universe, art-style, story, memorable protagonists and antagonists, a tone etc. that people will want to follow.

There's (was?) no Tousouchuu fanbase. It's a fun TV game, but it has no universe, no mythology, no storyline, no art-style. People who watch it aren't "geeks" who are likely to buy a Tousouchuu game based on name alone, just like people who watch MasterChef probably aren't a big video game audience that just can't wait to play a video game version of some cooking show they watch for entertainment at the end of a long day of work. People aren't passionate about it the way people are passionate about Dragon Ball or any other popular anime series.

The game is something completely new, as Kotaku wrote, "perhaps the most apt description is to call it a mix between Pac-Man and Mario Kart." I consider it a new video game IP because it came out of nowhere with no mythology to back it up and surprisingly created something new and fun. It does bear a title that already exists, and there are guys in black suits wearing sunglasses in both the TV show and the game, but that's about as far as it goes. It was a completely unproven "IP" that came with no expectations before the 3DS game.

Foshy

3DS(164115)
PSP(3222)
Vita(25211)
Wii(1101)
Wii U(3083)
PS3(12531)
Xbox 360(229)

Pokemon 591025
MH4 97336
GTA 83391

Woah looks like Vita will be back to 10k rapidly.
Nah, release list is looking decent for the rest of 2013.

Top Bottom