• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2014 (Oct 06 - Oct 12)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I understand Hino's line of thought, but it's Rovio's comments thats a bit funny, because they explicitly said they want to be "much bigger" than Disney.
Yes, Rovio is a bit insane in general. I'm surprised it took them as long as it did for their hiring to exceed their growth.

Yeah I understand Hino's line of thought, but it's Rovio's comments thats a bit funny, because they explicitly said they want to be "much bigger" than Disney.

Indeed.

The comparison, though ironic, doesn't hold because Rovio's comments was more "We want to be big than the biggest in the entertainment industry" (they also said they wanted AB to become as popular as Mario, if not more). Hino's statement is more about a strategy of the company in the long-term; not that they haven't pursue the multi-media franchise approach in the last years.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is only its third day since release (released on October 16th), so maybe it's too soon for statements like this one, but I think Chaos Rings III could sell better on Vita than on Android...

O4zuUPs.png

Download Chart.

Also, if you look at Google Play page

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings3gp

You can see it's currently at between 100 and 500 downloads.

Yesterday, it was at 50-100.

Again, it's probably too early, and I want to wait more days before saying anything more concrete. Still, consider this as an early look at Chaos Rings III's sales on Google Play and also a possible look at amount of downloads corresponding to specific placements in the download chart.

However, it seems it's doing much better on iOS

iPhone

iPad

On something of an aside, that quote had me looking up DIS and I had no idea how much growth in value Disney has seen over the last two years... it's now worth $141B almost double the number in that Rovio quote.

Kind of makes drawing any comparisons sound even more audacious. (I know they're talking more about transformation into more of a conglomerate than a games company first and foremost, and not trying to compare in scale.)

Went to Yodobashi to get MH4G and the n3DS for a friend of mine

Everything was still available but i had a feeling tomorrow n3DS will be sold out again

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On something of an aside, that quote had me looking up DIS and I had no idea how much growth in value Disney has seen over the last two years... it's now worth $141B almost double the number in that Rovio quote.

Kind of makes drawing any comparisons sound even more audacious. (I know they're talking more about transformation into more of a conglomerate than a games company first and foremost, and not trying to compare in scale.)
I thought that number sounded way too low.

Mpl90

Dat Mahvel, baby

@Nirolak: There's a PM for you :p

Mory Dunz

Majora's Mask 3D wouldn't be nearly big enough for christmas 15. It wouldn't be a million seller, probably not even 500k.

I'm not sure what they can release next holiday season that's a million seller tbh.
3D Land 2?
Maybe....CODE Steam lol

Road

Isn't minecraft vita free for all minecraft ps3 owners? ps4 should get the same offering.

Yes, but you still need to pay $5 to upgrade to the PS4 edition.

My bundle suggestion is not serious, and Sony is not serious about PS4 in Japan this holiday season. But if they do one, Minecraft should be free. Make a bundle with CODAW as well while they are it. But most importantly, don't make them exclusive to their stupid online store (although I wonder if they're doing that because retailers refuse to stock any more PS4).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Level 5.

Their game sales in Japan by IP:

Inazuma Eleven: 4,727,000
Prof. Layton: 4,474,000 (4,142,000*)
Youkai Watch: 4,045,000
Little Battlers eXperience: 1,123,000
Ni no Kuni: 747,000
Fantasy Life: 370,000
Paul Sloane & Des MacHale's Intriguing Tales: 316,000
Tago Akira: 102,000
Time Travelers: 54,000
Girl's RPG: 32,000

*excluding vs. Ace Attorney
Famitsu

Youkai Watch Shinuchi will put the franchise on the top (it was going to get there without it anyway).

Level 5.

Their game sales in Japan by IP:

Inazuma Eleven: 4,727,000
Prof. Layton: 4,474,000 (4,142,000*)
Youkai Watch: 4,045,000
Little Battlers eXperience: 1,123,000
Ni no Kuni: 747,000
Fantasy Life: 370,000
Paul Sloane & Des MacHale's Intriguing Tales: 316,000
Tago Akira: 102,000
Time Travelers: 54,000
Girl's RPG: 32,000

*excluding vs. Ace Attorney
Famitsu

Youkai Watch Shinuchi will put the franchise on the top (it was going to get there without it anyway).
Within a year and a half, and half the amount of entries of the top two.

As I expected the XL model was on top, but I expect it to continue to have the most demand.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm not sure what they can release next holiday season that's a million seller tbh.
3D Land 2?
Maybe....CODE Steam lol

After Smash Nintendo is done with established multimillion sellers on 3DS and I don't have faith in them creating something new aka Youkai Watch. Last big new hit from them was Tomodachi Collection back in 2009.

Next year will have Pokemon Z and YW3 as guaranteed million sellers (and Joker when SE decides to publish it). It's up to third parties to show if they want to invest on n3DS.

Best thing Nintendo has to do is experience with projects like Kid Ikarus or Fire Emblem that found success on 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah my general takeaway since E3 is that Nintendo is out of flagship games that wouldn't be follow-ups to existing products.

STEAM being the E3 showcase suggests they're working on their niches in the same way we saw them putting out things like Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade late in the Wii cycle.

This normally leads to a follow up system fairly quickly, but they did just put out the N3DS which would suggest two more years to me normally.

Not entirely sure what they're planning at this point. Perhaps third party momentum in Japan and deciding to write off the final years of the system in the West.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's not that they have many options creating sequels unless they want to burn sales of next gen handheld entries. Big sellers

Mario Kart
Smash Bros.
Animal Crossing
2D Mario
3D Mario
Tomodachi

are out of the question.

That leaven out only Pokemon: Pokemon Z for 2015, Pokemon (remake?) for 2016.

For B-category sellers:
Mario Party: it has lost the power it had
Zelda: Majora's Mask remake?
Kirby: maybe for 2016

Like I said before thay have to experience with smaller hits, new or sequels, if they want to continue supporting the system

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For Japan I think whatever they do will be fine generally. We are talking about the waning years of a system with very little competition so hitting most of their sales potential shouldn't be overly difficult since I doubt it's even very elastic at this point.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For Japan I think whatever they do will be fine generally. We are talking about the waning years of a system with very little competition so hitting most of their sales potential shouldn't be overly difficult since I doubt it's even very elastic at this point.

I don't think that was the impression for 3DS future a few months ago. If they do wrong moves now, even for Japan that they have no contest at handheld area, 4DS will have a very hard time.

PSP had managed to steal third party support and sales from DS at its last years but Sony failed with Vita from the beginning and never recovered.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think that was the impression for 3DS future a few months ago. If they do wrong moves now, even for Japan that they have no contest at handheld area, 4DS will have a very hard time.

PSP had managed to steal third party support and sales from DS at its last years but Sony failed with Vita from the beginning and never recovered.
Oh, no, that's still my overriding concern with regard to Nintendo handhelds. It's just that looking at the 3DS itself in a vacuum I don't think what they do now will change how the 3DS itself sells much.

The 4DS to me is basically a mix of managing consumer satisfaction leaving the 3DS, strong early 4DS support, and most importantly keeping faith from third parties.

However, I'm not sure a niche game selling 200-300K copies will win broad base consumer satisfaction, especially if Dragon Quest XI or YW3 are their main focus in the latter years.

AniHawk

Yeah my general takeaway since E3 is that Nintendo is out of flagship games that wouldn't be follow-ups to existing products.

STEAM being the E3 showcase suggests they're working on their niches in the same way we saw them putting out things like Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade late in the Wii cycle.

This normally leads to a follow up system fairly quickly, but they did just put out the N3DS which would suggest two more years to me normally.

Not entirely sure what they're planning at this point. Perhaps third party momentum in Japan and deciding to write off the final years of the system in the West.

nintendo's done well in selling software to the existing fanbase for the most part. and the existing fanbase seems to be easily swayed by japanese things. bravely default and tomodachi life became unexpected hits this year. i don't see why more western localizations couldn't do the same. monster hunter will probably do well too considering it isn't a port, and that the 3ds version cleared the 200k mark over here.

Mpl90

I'm pretty curious to see next year's 3DS support from Nintendo

So far, we know about

Codename: STEAM, which seems to me quite more "Western-oriented" than other strategic titles like...you know, Fire Emblem
The Great Pikachu Detective, still mysterious
Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS

Supposed

Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (SO...MANY...HINTS)
Pokémon Z

Now, I think there are other titles (excluding new IPs) which could possibly come on 3DS in 2015

Rhythm Heaven, which was a bi-million seller on DS, and came out on Wii in 2011
Paper Mario: ...why not? Sticker Star sold great, and it certainly won't be a launch title for next handheld. Also, Sticker Star came out almost 2 years ago
Mario & Luigi: DS had two entries, I think 3DS could be the same. It would be released around 2 years after Dream Team, and there have been many recent sequels of 3DS titles from third parties 2 years after the first one

Remember: there are titles in development both enhanced by New 3DS AND exclusive to New 3DS. We've seen some enhanced titles, but so far we just saw one exclusive, we'll probably see more of them in the next months.

P.S. I think they're not writing off the system in the West since New 3DS is coming, I mean a brand new revision which should be a good sellers among people who already are 3DS users and want to upgrade. IMHO writing off would have been not releasing a new version at all. Especially not a new version with such significant changes / improvements. We can't say now how much it'll do in the West, but I just think writing the system off would have been something different than New 3DS, i.e. no revision at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The system just sold 140K in Smash month and had some sub 100K results prior to the N3DS being announced. Even if they can placate the audience that bought the system, I don't see them repairing sales in a notable way in the West.

The thing is still doing like half of what the PSP was doing at this point in its life.

I view the N3DS more as a way to try to keep what sales volume is left going in the interim via adding in replacement sales to fill in further drops in new users.

Maybe for B sellers and for the increasing N3DS user base in 2015 and part 0f 2016, release some ports of GC/Wii software to help fill the line up.

Also an Amiibo based game for both the Wii U and 3DS for 2015.

In regards to the future, the next third pillar (QOL) won't be announced this year due to the cuarrent situation. Don't think Nintendo would want to take focus away from the Wii U hollyday releases and the N3DS. Of course im basing this comment on the asumption that Iwata did comment about talking about QOL this year and an offcial unveil in 2015.

Road

DQXI will be a 3DS million seller in 2015. =P

Out of my own curiosity, game sales by IP in Japan and their worldwide shipment total:

Code:
Mario		106 / (over 400 million?)
Pokémon		 70 / 260 million
Dragon Quest	 57 /  64 million
Final Fantasy	 47 / 110 million
Monster Hunter	 24 /  31 million

Inazuma Eleven	4.7 /  7.5 million
Prof. Layton	4.5 / 15.5 million		

Japanese sales: before 1996, shipments for some games; since 1996, Famitsu.

Oregano

The system just sold 140K in Smash month and had some sub 100K results prior to the N3DS being announced. Even if they can placate the audience that bought the system, I don't see them repairing sales in a notable way in the West.

The thing is still doing like half of what the PSP was doing at this point in its life.

I view the N3DS more as a way to try to keep what sales volume is left going in the interim via adding in replacement sales to fill in further drops in new users.

Smash was only out for two days of that month though and the series isn't that frontloaded. I'm curious to see what momentum it has in October, it could go either way.

I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to conflate the US with the West to be fair either. The 3DS is relatively weak in the US(and even worse here in the UK) than some other western countries isn't it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Smash was only out for two days of that month though and the series isn't that frontloaded. I'm curious to see what momentum it has in October, it could go either way.

I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to conflate the US with the West to be fair either. The 3DS is relatively weak in the US(and even worse here in the UK) than some other western countries isn't it?

Nintendo called out France as the main outlier for Western performance in one of their earnings calls.

It seems to do okay in Germany too.

However relative market size is an issue they face in that those two markets aren't going to outperform bigger struggles.

Mpl90

I view the N3DS more as a way to try to keep what sales volume is left going in the interim.

I see "writing off the system " as not doing anything at all on the matter, i.e. leaving the console continuing going down and down without giving incentives to people for buying the system.

Instead, New 3DS is certainly something interesting for those who already own a 3DS and want to upgrade from their older models. IMHO, it could interest also some of those who don't have a 3DS yet and waited for a revision + games being at lower prices, to be honest, but let's not get carried away. Still, a revision like New 3DS is relevant, and will influence positively Western sales as well, especially in the short term. Still, I'm not expecting such a huge surge in sales months later its launch. I think it will avoid to let the console literally die hardware sales-wise (which would be not doing anything at all = my definition of writing it off) and, maybe, it'll give the console a decently better average monthly sales compared to the current one even, like, one year after New 3DS came out.

Again, I see this as being a bit active and doing something on the matter in order to help sales to not slide off any further before the new console comes out instead of not doing anything at all, which is "writing it off", at least for me. We can discuss on how much they're doing surely, but I can't define it as writing it off. Maybe, our definitions of "writing something off" are different, and that's where our discussion relies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay yes maybe we disagree on terminology.

To me the DS had a pretty great year the second to last on the market, and the 360 had quite a lot of success (albeit temporary) with the Kinect launch. I don't really see the 3DS having any kind of late gen resurgence in the West even with the N3DS.

I could certainly be wrong, but I'm just not seeing there being a likely vector there.

I also feel it's in the sales territory where if it's going to be on the market another two years, they would want some kind of resurgence.

In Japan they're likely to have at least decent sales relative to where the market is at even if they did nothing, and with some coordination with third parties they can probably still notably spike the system's sales every so often even if the trend continues down.

sure, but their relative success in France is canceled out by their subpar performances elsewhere in Europe, so that as a whole US is roughly equivalent to Europe in 3DS sales (I think....)

It's not that they have many options creating sequels unless they want to burn sales of next gen handheld entries. Big sellers

Mario Kart
Smash Bros.
Animal Crossing
2D Mario
3D Mario
Tomodachi

are out of the question.

That leaven out only Pokemon: Pokemon Z for 2015, Pokemon (remake?) for 2016.

For B-category sellers:
Mario Party: it has lost the power it had
Zelda: Majora's Mask remake?
Kirby: maybe for 2016

Like I said before thay have to experience with smaller hits, new or sequels, if they want to continue supporting the system

Rhythm Heaven would be a million seller on 3DS. I can also see Fire Emblem: Awakening 2 (i.e. the second 3DS entry of the franchise) to sell more than 600k units.

A game like Luigi's Adventure, in the vein of Luigi's Mansion could also do well. Then, Pokémon spin-offs, if they are lucky enough (each generation had a Pokémon spin-off selling over a million, IIRC).

Also, it's not that Nintendo was not able to create million seller from nowhere, even very late in the lifecycle. And 3DS has enough userbase to make this happen (see Youkai Watch, though third party).

Oregano

Nintendo called out France as the main outlier for Western performance in one of their earnings calls.

It seems to do okay in Germany too.

However relative market size is an issue they face in that those two markets aren't going to outperform bigger struggles.

You are correct but I think it still shows that there is potential for the New 3DS in the west.

Honestly I think a large part of it is down to the type of software being released. I think 3DS is sorely lacking in western focused content, a Metroid Hunters 2 for N3DS could probably do pretty well and might even sell a few systems.

France ix doing well because Japanese culture is very popular there and I think the presence of Simulation style games is what is helping in Germany(isn't Harvest Moon very popular?).

Well, also Amiibo and NFC games.

Probably they will not succeed, but there is a chance that with the right games, NFC compatibility could prove to drive hw and sw sales; think of YW or Pokémon interactive toys. And also a toy-box game like à la Disney Infinity, but with Nintendo characters, where all toys can be used.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You are correct but I think it still shows that there is potential for the New 3DS in the west.

Honestly I think a large part of it is down to the type of software being released. I think 3DS is sorely lacking in western focused content, a Metroid Hunters 2 for N3DS could probably do pretty well and might even sell a few systems.

France ix doing well because Japanese culture is very popular there and I think the presence of Simulation style games is what is helping in Germany(isn't Harvest Moon very popular?).
The issue for me is that I don't see these big hitters in the West being announced.

In theory they could come up with a game that sells 15 million copies in the West and 10 million of them being to new customers, but without them actually showing something off it's hard for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Like there's nothing that's obviously coming that's a major hardware mover in the way I can assume Pokemon will help move consoles when it first comes out on a new system.

That to me is the main issue in being through all their known big sellers at least once already without overwhelmingly successful third party support in place in the regions.

Roo

I can't at the XboxOne numbers lol
Right now it seems like 3DS is in beast mode. Let's see how it goes once Christmas is around the corner.
Congrats to Nintendo and Capcom for Smash and Monster Hunter respectively.

Oregano

The issue for me is that I don't see these big hitters in the West being announced.

In theory they could come up with a game that sells 15 million copies in the West and 10 million of them being to new customers, but without them actually showing something off it's hard for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Like there's nothing that's obviously coming that's a major hardware mover in the way I can assume Pokemon will help move consoles when it first comes out on a new system.

That to me is the main issue in being through all their known big sellers at least once already.

That is definitely true. I don't see them coming up with an ace in the hole but I could definitely see some smaller but more focused software helping.

I think Xenoblade is perhaps a good example(for Japan) but it's a bit hard to explain. Although the 3DS has a lot of RPGs none of them are the same style as Xenoblade, in the sense that it's an expansive, 3rd person, free camera, real time RPG. I think that will help the 3DS somewhat.

The hope would be of course that Xenoblade isn't the only one and that they are thinking of stuff for the west. Something for the west seems a bit less likely but Next Level Games could have a western focused project.

I fully admit I could be talking out of my ass and completely wrong though but the choice of Xenoblade made me think about how they're positioning the N3DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Also, it's not that Nintendo was not able to create million seller from nowhere, even very late in the lifecycle. And 3DS has enough userbase to make this happen (see Youkai Watch, though third party).

Nintendo has lost Mida's touch since many years ago.

Maybe. Though, it has recently been able to create phenomenal successes with Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Fire Emblem: Awakening (IIRC, not even you expected so much from them). Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is also expected to be the best-selling entry in the series. I guess Nintendo is still able to surprise in many aspects; a new IP might be around the corner and perform well enough.

donny2112

I think there never was a Midas touch, and DS/Wii just finally brought into contact that mainstream person Nintendo was always making games for and their games. The games aren't dramatically different in appeal/quality to that mainstreamer now (in my opinion), but the audience just isn't there to connect the game to them. Like how Princess Bride didn't do that great in the box office, but it is a classic of classics now. How Wizard of Oz barely broke even in its original release but is an all-time favorite now. How Star Trek was cancelled after three seasons, but after connecting with enough of an audience (and Star Wars showing there was a viable audience for Space Adventures out there), brought about 12 movies and 25 further years of TV series in that Universe.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is also expected to be the best-selling entry in the series.

Until the Wii U version comes out... oh, wait.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think there never was a Midas touch, and DS/Wii just finally brought into contact that mainstream person Nintendo was always making games for and their games. The games aren't dramatically different in appeal/quality to that mainstreamer now (in my opinion), but the audience just isn't there to connect the game to them. Like how Princess Bride didn't do that great in the box office, but it is a classic of classics now. How Wizard of Oz barely broke even in its original release but is an all-time favorite now. How Star Trek was cancelled after three seasons, but after connecting with enough of an audience (and Star Wars showing there was a viable audience for Space Adventures out there), brought about 12 movies and 25 further years of TV series in that Universe.

Until the Wii U version comes out... oh, wait.

I feel with the DS and Wii they offered notably low barrier to entry systems through easy to use control schemes (touch and motion respectively) at affordable prices and a selection of games designed to match (that could also serve as stepping stones into their more traditional games).

However, it's pretty hard to beat "I can play seas of $1 or free games on this touch device I already own," so that market is now a lot harder to reach again for the same reasons Sony lost them after the PS2 (Singstar, Eyetoy) to the more appealing Wii/DS.

These days to get new major sellers they need to basically appeal well to either their own traditional audiences and/or to the audiences big third party games appeal to on the 3DS, as those are the demographics they still have.

I think trying to win an additional demographic this late in the gen would be quite hard.

They've been having some success on that front, so I wouldn't take it off the table, though I imagine it wouldn't be something that would also majorly move hardware at this point given it would be something that appeals to those who already own the hardware. However, given the 3DS itself is mostly on autopilot now in Japan, simply adding more solid brands (or reviving dead ones) would still be a good success.

That said, I'm not optimistic that STEAM is that game even with Fire Emblem having success so I'd personally put this hypothetical project(s) in the bin of things that could be announced, but aren't currently.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
However, it's pretty hard to beat "I can play seas of $1 or free games on this touch device I already own,"

I still think this mobile gaming market is going to explode at some point to become something more reasonable, because I think the ad-supported/$1 games is simply unsustainable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still think this mobile gaming market is going to explode at some point to become something more reasonable, because I think the ad-supported/$1 games is simply unsustainable.
Well, it sort of happened already. Most of the money is made by f2p games with lots of IAP instead of the games that cost $1-$4 or the ad only games.

However, $1 games and ad based games are enough to support tiny teams of 1-3 people which is why we still see a lot of them, and the old ones are all still there every time someone wants to go look for something new.

Apple also subsidizes some of the more promising pay-for games that are older by paying the developer and then giving the game away for free once per week so that they can get a financial boost to make more on their platform. It's a bit like PS+ for games that don't exactly fit the market as it is anymore, but they would still like to exist. Like The Silent Age is this week's and they did Deemo not that long ago.

Yes, Nintendo has released the majority of their flagship franchises on 3DS; however this doesn't mean that their focus is lost until the next inevitable handheld generation.

The focus for next couple FYs, from a software standpoint, will likely be Amiibo driven. So I see a "rebirth" of existing franchises that will utilize these, as well as net-new IPs specifically for the toy line.

Also, if STEAM and Splatoon are any indication, there's likely a myriad of titles in the works from the younger devs.

tl;dr: a firm makes key decisions based on their ultimate business strategy. In terms of 3DS, the focus is clearly around Amiibos; thus I fully expect FY15/16 titles to have these at the core

on Amazon MH4G has 209 negative comments out of 478

just trolls or something to complain ? I mean, Smash 3DS has just 55 negative comments out of 399, both Youkai Watch games have 21 negative comments out of 390

hiska-kun

As I promised.

Shinjuku Bic Camera - New 3DS XL sold out, the normal model and MH4G available
4340D8F4-6752-45BA-8B85-34B5D1A916E4_zpshu2gxn8v.jpg

Shinjuku Yodabashi Camera - New 3DS XL sold out, the normal model available (MH4G too)
E3F2678C-EA8E-442A-B05C-C43369A1A2C8_zpslx1lwzla.jpg

Ikebukuro Bic Camera - The same picture, just XL sold out
6420CC86-91AD-4419-BB5B-3905A0FB2091_zpsqgzcebwb.jpg

Ikebukuro Yamada Denki - XL sold out, the rest available
3371F446-E4E5-4D93-8450-174957F4B0B8_zpsflyt4epy.jpg

The conclusion is that the XL 3DS is the superior model.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yes, Nintendo has released the majority of their flagship franchises on 3DS; however this doesn't mean that their focus is lost until the next inevitable handheld generation.

The focus for next couple FYs, from a software standpoint, will likely be Amiibo driven. So I see a "rebirth" of existing franchises that will utilize these, as well as net-new IPs specifically for the toy line.

Also, if STEAM and Splatoon are any indication, there's likely a myriad of titles in the works from the younger devs.

tl;dr: a firm makes key decisions based on their ultimate business strategy. In terms of 3DS, the focus is clearly around Amiibos; thus I fully expect FY15/16 titles to have these at the core

Of course its not that bad - but the Doom and Gloom discussions have been following the 3DS since its launch and no matter how well it sell, they wont ever end.

Software is still selling well and the n3DS should be enough to somewhat offset declining hw sales the next year. 2016 they will launch a new portable, with a very robust launchlineup reusing/updating as much content as possible from n3DS/WiiU/Amiibo.

If we get Majoras Mask 3DS, Xenoblade (n3DS), Metroid Prime (n3DS), Mario Galaxy 3D (n3DS) - i expect follow up on all three games to hit 4DS as well as the WiiU in 2016.

Open World Zelda (WiiU,4DS), Xenoblade X Chronicles a year later on 4DS, Retro developed Metroid Prime 4 (WiiU, 4DS), Mario Galaxy 3 (WiiU, 4DS) etc.

I think they will drop big IPs like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing as soon as possible on the 4DS and keep updating them constantly over the course of the generation. The assets and experience learned from development on WiiU will help them producing fast results.

The conclusion is that the XL 3DS is the superior model.

Thanks for the update, but without knowing the exact shipment relation between n3DS and n3DS LL. While its probably the case, the n3DS could just have way more launch stock left and or/shipped this week.

wrowa

Faceplates aren't enough to boost the popularity of the small 3DS. The XL has been the go-to 3DS globally since its release, outselling the original week by week by a huge margin. People prefering bigger screens over smaller screens is not going to change just because the New 3DS has some cosmetic faceplates.

Top Bottom