• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2014 (Oct 06 - Oct 12)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so 120k for the 3ds, against 154k last year. neither the new models can hold it, with the only excuse of still present supply issues for the new revisions

Bruno MB

I missed his Famitsu leaks.

New 3DS + New 3DS LL - 93.000 (233.000)
Old 3DS models - 25.000 (30.000)

Monster Hunter 4G - Over 382.000 (1.618.000)

L~A

I missed his Famitsu leaks.

New 3DS + New 3DS LL - 93.000 (233.000)
Old 3DS models - 25.000 (30.000)

Monster Hunter 4G - Over 382.000 (1.618.000)

To be fair, he leaked them 4mn before I posted them ;)

Looks like the shortages are really hurting the 3DS (LL). Too bad he didn't give any precision for N3DS vs N3DS LL, but I believe Famitsu doesn't provide such data, do they?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
also mh seems lower than mh4 second week, right?
this is supply constrained, but mh4 was too, so I'd say it is a fair comparison

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, yeah, it's probably due to shortages. I mean, regular 3DS sold almost as much as last week, so still higher than the week before New 3DS released, which seems to me a sign that there are not enough New 3DS in stores, especially XL.

Bruno MB

To be fair, he leaked them 4mn before I posted them ;)

Looks like the shortages are really hurting the 3DS (LL). Too bad he didn't give any precision for N3DS vs N3DS LL, but I believe Famitsu doesn't provide such data, do they?

They provide that data, but only to subscribers.

Anyway, we can know the sales for every model thanks to MCV that has a partnership with Famitsu.

Well, yeah, it's probably due to shortages. I mean, regular 3DS sold almost as much as last week, so still higher than the week before New 3DS released, which seems to me a sign that there are not enough New 3DS in stores, especially XL.
If these consumers are willing to buy the old model in lieu of the new one, which is what seems to be suggested, wouldn't that imply the driver isn't necessarily the revision for them but rather needing something to play the new MonHun for instance?

There's presumably also a group of consumers separate from these that are waiting for stock, but aren't captured in the sales data.

Neither MH4 nor n3DS were on shortages last weekend

hiska-kun can confirm

stocks were refurnished on friday (MH4) and on saturday (n3DS)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If these consumers are willing to buy the old model in lieu of the new one, which is what seems to be suggested, wouldn't that imply the driver isn't necessarily the revision for them but rather needing something to play the new MonHun for instance?

There's presumably also a group of consumers separate from these that are waiting for stock, but aren't captured in the sales data.

You try to find reasons to downgrade 3DS performance many months now.

Maybe it means there is demand for some titles and since people can't find the revision they buy what is available.

You try to find reasons to downgrade 3DS performance many months now.

Maybe it means there is demand for some titles and since people can't find the revision they buy what is available.
Err... that's exactly what I said.

If there are people specifically wanting a new revision though, and can't get one due to any shortages, then they won't be captured in either new or old 3DS sales.

That isn't a comment downgrading 3DS performance.
What you said is not exactly a negative thing for Nintendo.
I know. It was simply a comment responding to Mpl's rationale - i.e. the impact of any shortages in new models can't really be assessed by increases in old models.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
so 120k for the 3ds, against 154k last year. neither the new models can hold it, with the only excuse of still present supply issues for the new revisions

Well...thats quite a big reason actually.

What you said is not exactly a negative thing for Nintendo; actually it might be the opposite, i.e. there are still people that want to buy a 3DS and didn't have one before; usually, when a revision comes out, a portion of its sales are people that upgrade from the previous version. If the old version keeps selling a nice weekly amount, it means that the hardware is still able to attract new users.

Didn't Monster Hunter and a new revision just come out. Also sales appear to less than last year at this time.

Indeed. Releasing MH and N3DS in October was a smart decision, since usually Oct. is a slow month.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait are people now harping on Shinra complimenting the 3DS by saying 1.) it clearly has notable demand from new customers given the old model's sales and 2.) its sales could be higher if it didn't have stock issues?

I thought the complaint was that there wasn't enough 3DS positivity.

iefFiskZ7Q5Eh.gif

SmokyDave

I wonder if Vita will claw back to 10k this week.

Wait are people now harping on Shinra complimenting the 3DS by saying 1.) it clearly has notable demand from new customers given the old model's sales and 2.) its sales could be higher if it didn't have stock issues?

Gotta hold up the great white hope, man.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

If there are people specifically wanting a new revision though, and can't get one due to any shortages, then they won't be captured in either new or old 3DS sales.

That isn't a comment downgrading 3DS performance.

I can play the game with words all day. What you impied with that post is that maybe people don't care enough for the revision but Monster Hunter plus other titles are the main reason for hw sales.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

To be fair expecting the (n)3DS to sell only to people who already own a 3DS is quite unrealistic to begin with, the system was selling good numbers before the n3DS was announced and MH/Smash launched, i dont quite see the point of the differentiation or complimenting the 3DS on not only selling to users who own the system already.

Buying a n3DS doesnt mean that the person had to own a 3DS before either.

But maybe im missing something.

I don't really know wtf you're talking about. 100K people bought the revision this week, 200 and something K last week, clearly there's a segment of users who want it and have been able to get it.
And in the very same post a comment about people who specifically want the new model, but being unable to get one not being captured in current data.

My comment is in reply to Mpl's about the rise in old models and those consumers. You're boxing at shadows.

So there's still no clear idea on how well the N3DS is actually doing?

I mean, obviously it's better sales than if there weren't a revision, but no indication of whether the supply constraints are what's causing a YoY decrease, or whether it's just not enough to put any kind of wind back into the 3DS's sails?

BriBri

Obviously only anecdotal but the return of Super Mario Bros 3, Pokemon AR Searcher, Puyo Puyo Mini Version and the rise of the Bike Rider and Touch Battle Tank series (admittedly the latter are on sale) imply that there are some first time 3DS owners.

Obviously only anecdotal but the return of Super Mario Bros 3, Pokemon AR Searcher, Puyo Puyo Mini Version and the rise of the Bike Rider and Touch Battle Tank series (admittedly the latter are on sale) imply that there are some first time 3DS owners.

Thanks for sharing this.

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 60,348
New3DS 29,341
3DS LL 16,771
Vita 8,761
PS4 8,046
3DS 6,778
Wii U 5,293
PS3 4,779
Xbox One 728
Vita TV 630
PSP 100
Xbox 360 88

327k for MH4G. 53k for Smash. 42k for YW2.

L~A

By the way, Animal Crossing: New Leaf is back in the Top 20 (and Youkai Watch is still holding), so there's definitely new owners picking up their very first 3DS.

Media Create:

New3DS LL 60,348
New3DS 29,341
3DS LL 16,771
Vita 8,761
PS4 8,046
3DS 6,778
Wii U 5,293
PS3 4,779
Xbox One 728
Vita TV 630
PSP 100
Xbox 360 88

327k for MH4G. 53k for Smash. 42k for YW2.

Famitsu:

MH4G: 260k
Smash: 59k
YW2: 46k

3DS: 251k
PSV: 9.8k
PS4: 6.8k
PS3: 4.2k
WiiU: 4k
XBO: 698

Unless I missed a number or misread one, those two 3DS totals are wildly different.

Top Bottom