• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2015 (Oct 05 - Oct 11)

Thanks for pressing by the way, it lead me to find this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.appa...rPUfGjI4DTsFhI+SLDwEYGJlv6SgFSrfEMbFl3rgPUxU=

The information isn't super surprising, but we do get some slightly old data.

It's interesting to see how much GP is growing in Asian markets. Probably, more heterogeneity of devices over there with respect to Western markets. And also Tomodachi Life proved to be a long-running hit, being the 5th best selling game in the handheld market of Q42014.

New special edition Vita and Vita TV for Gundam Extreme VS Force announced in Japan.

Gundam-Extreme-VS-Force-PSV-PSTV_10-20-15_001-600x450.jpg

Gundam-Extreme-VS-Force-PSV-PSTV_10-20-15_002-600x450.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/ps-vita-...vs-force-limited-editions-announced-for-japan

Hmm, that's the second Gundam LE Vita they've done (the first being Gundam Breaker).

Slightly more relevant this time. Shame all this stuff is Sony store exclusive.

L~A

Ōkami;182194401 said:
They mentioned an increased performance of the home console market, comparing the first half of 2014 with the first half of 2015. (45.58b yen on 2014, to 47.52b yen on 2015) pretty sure they're excluding the PS3 from these comparisons.

The percentages used there are the increases of PS4 and WiiU software sales compared to last year (in terms of revenue I believe).

Later they mentioned how they expect the PS4 to do even better with the recent price cut on the later half of the year, Hamamura also expect WiiU to do even better thanks to Splatoon and Super Mario Maker (and yes, he does mention those 2 games in particular).

Famitsu forbid me from reading the article with your hyperlink, going there myself also found this.

Thank a bunch.

Oh, and Famitsu doesn't forbid anything: just press enter in the URL bar of your browser.

Arzehn

So are we expecting anything from Airship Q on Vita in November? iirc Sony made a somewhat big deal about it at TGS. Wasn't there supposed to be an anime or some other promotional content? It's less than a month from release now and haven't heard much promotion.
http://airshipq.com/

Does anyone have LTD Terraria numbers?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's interesting to see how much GP is growing in Asian markets. Probably, more heterogeneity of devices over there with respect to Western markets. And also Tomodachi Life proved to be a long-running hit, being the 5th best selling game in the handheld market of Q42014.

Along with Animal Crossing it's also one of the more encouraging things to sell on 3DS given it's more reminiscent of the DS's target audience than the 3DS's.

Amazon top 20 software 2015/10/21 as seen in Back to the Future 2 :

01. (3DS) Monster Hunter X
02. (PS4) Call of Duty: Black Ops III
03. (PS4) Star Wars: Battlefront

04. (3DS) Zelda
05. (PS4) Dark Souls III
06. (3DS) PuriPara Mezase Idol
07. (3DS) Monster Strike
08. (PSV) Gundam Extreme Vs. Force
09. (WiiU) Splatoon
10. (PSV) God Eater Resurrection
11. (PS4) Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
12. (PS4) Dragon Quest Builders
13. (PS4) Fallout 4

14. (3DS) Rittai Picross 2
15. (3DS) Youkai Watch Busters White
16. (PS4) Metal Gear Solid V
17. (3DS) Youkai Watch Busters Red
18. (PS4) GTAV

19. (3DS) SMT 4 Final
20. (PSV) Wonderful Party

home systems redux

Ōkami

Alright, so on the upcoming issue of Famitsu there's an article (or whatever) about Zelda Triforce Heroes, neat-o, right?

On the famitsu website they mention how, well they'll talk about the game obviously, but also interviews mainly with Hiromasa, the director of the game, but what I find interesting is they also mention an interview with Aonuna, and here is the actual interesting part.

From what I read Aonuma is going to talk about the WiiU version of Zelda and it's development state, along with some sort of 30th anniversary plans.

Now, I wouldn't consider this threadworthy because Aonuma is likely to just say "It's going well" still whatever he might say could be interesting.

I didn't know where else to post this, the Zelda community thread is rather dead and I explain the reasoning as to why I wouldn't make a thread.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201510/20091062.html

Edit: No, no no no no.

Aonuma will talk about development of the 3DS game, later the famitsu writer ads that the WiiU version is in currently in development, not that Aonuma will talk about it.

zelda and donkey kong is pretty comparable, they were both million sellers in the early days while selling far better in the west, both have anomalies when nintendo platforms were selling well (phantom hourglass and donkey kong country wii) but other than that, they perform pretty similar

zelda is probably more impressive as theres far more entries, yet the brand still retains some power while donkey kong is more of a wildcard

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
zelda and donkey kong is pretty comparable, they were both million sellers in the early days while selling far better in the west, both have anomalies when nintendo platforms were selling well (phantom hourglass and donkey kong country wii) but other than that, they perform pretty similar

zelda is probably more impressive as theres far more entries, yet the brand still retains some power while donkey kong is more of a wildcard

I think it's kind of hard to compare the two series. On one hand, we've had a ton of Zelda games come out since the very beginning at a fairly regular pace. With DK, after the original DKC Trilogy and DK64, there's been really only 2 games in recent history, only one of which sold well.

DK = 1 title in recent memory did quite well (DKCR over 1M), DKCTF was killed by the Wii U (130K), and the remake of DKCR did about 300K. Meanwhile you had the Zelda games (apart from the bomb that was WWHD) do much better at least on 3DS (2 games selling over 400K, one over 600K), etc.

Square Enix - Annual Report 2015 is available!

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2015en.pdf

According to SQEX, Mobius Final Fantasy has a "massive popularity"... I'm starting to consider that some companies are over-reporting mobile results since there are not much data available and can be more easily faked (unlike retail titles); we have seen how Mobius has performed in AppAnnie rankings, and while it has recouped after the disastrous start, it's hard to call it a "massively popular" title.

Also, apparently Type-0 HD sold reasonably well in Western territories, and not so much in Japan (since SQEX mentions that Japanese players already had an opportunity to play the game on PSP).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
According to SQEX, Mobius Final Fantasy has a "massive popularity"... I'm starting to consider that some companies are over-reporting mobile results since there are not much data available and can be more easily faked (unlike retail titles); we have seen how Mobius has performed in AppAnnie rankings, and while it has recouped after the disastrous start, it's hard to call it a "massively popular" title.

Also, apparently Type-0 HD sold reasonably well in Western territories, and not so much in Japan (since SQEX mentions that Japanese players already had an opportunity to play the game on PSP).

I suspect that's a player engagement metric. The first three they list are listed as "major earnings pillars" and App Annie's charts are revenue generation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So lots of people are playing but less are spending money?

It's not an uncommon situation. Like Angry Birds 2 got tremendous download numbers, but it doesn't gross super high.

This is more of a mix in that they say the financial results for both it and Monster Road are strong, but they don't call them major earnings pillars, and they're also presumably not downloaded 100 million times or whatever like Angry Birds 2.

It's not an uncommon situation. Like Angry Birds 2 got tremendous download numbers, but it doesn't gross super high.

This is more of a mix in that they say the financial results for both it and Monster Road are strong, but they don't call them major earnings pillars, and they're also presumably not downloaded 100 million times or whatever like Angry Birds 2.

I don't remember Mobius having been downloaded so much - did we even get some downloads figures by SQEX? This type of reports is quite common (they did a lot of time for DQM Super Light - like milestone figures: 1m downloads, 4m downloads) so if it's really massively popular we should have known by now.

Also play metrics are meaningless if the game is not able to incentivize players to spend money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We got 1 million for the first week, not sure if we ever got an update: http://gematsu.com/2015/06/mobius-final-fantasy-tops-one-million-registrations

Also play metrics are meaningless if the game is not able to incentivize players to spend money.

Certainly. We can see mobile MOBAs with this issue.

That said we're talking about something that charts like a Sega hit, not a total tanker:

To bring this back to an earlier discussion, comparing this to most of their launches that don't take off, it's like comparing Zelda to low end 50-100K licensed games. It's not the biggest hit in the world, but it's not tanking.

We got 1 million for the first week, not sure if we ever got an update: http://gematsu.com/2015/06/mobius-final-fantasy-tops-one-million-registrations

1m download in the first week for a AAA F2P FF mobile project doesn't seem much in the grand scheme of things - especially when those figures haven't been updated and the game is certainlty not one of most downloaded ones (after the first update it went below the 100th position and now it's hovering around the 300th); grossing ranks are a bit better but below the 50th position - is it enough to call it "massively popular"? That's why I do think SQEX likes to over-report results.

To bring this back to an earlier discussion, comparing this to most of their launches that don't take off, it's like comparing Zelda to low end 50-100K licensed games. It's not the biggest hit in the world, but it's not tanking.

No one has ever said it's tanking ;) calling it a massively popular game is an over-statement though.

noshten

We are going to have pretty depressing software numbers today. Outside of the top 3 I think there would be a handful of games with more than 10K units moved. Also considering expectations of SMM is <20k, Wii U sales might be under 10K for the first time since Splatoon's release

PS4<25k?
WiiU<10k?

What do you guys think

I think it's kind of hard to compare the two series. On one hand, we've had a ton of Zelda games come out since the very beginning at a fairly regular pace. With DK, after the original DKC Trilogy and DK64, there's been really only 2 games in recent history, only one of which sold well.

DK = 1 title in recent memory did quite well (DKCR over 1M), DKCTF was killed by the Wii U (130K), and the remake of DKCR did about 300K. Meanwhile you had the Zelda games (apart from the bomb that was WWHD) do much better at least on 3DS (2 games selling over 400K, one over 600K), etc.
zelda doing decently on 3ds comes down to the platform rather than the game themselves, look at dkc on wii u underperforming while the remake still managed 300k on 3ds

We are going to have pretty depressing software numbers today. Outside of the top 3 I think there would be a handful of games with more than 10K units moved. Also considering expectations of SMM is <20k, Wii U sales might be under 10K for the first time since Splatoon's release

PS4<25k?
WiiU<10k?

What do you guys think
wii u should drop another thousand or so, so just under 10k or 10k depending on tracker

L~A

So according to Oricon, Splatune (Splatoon OST) sold 24k during the first day. Second best-selling album in Japan. (I have no idea why it appears on the October 20th when it came out on the 21st... just like all the other album in the chart).

Source via kuroneko.

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 25,699
New3DS LL 17,881
Vita 14,546
Wii U 11,658
New3DS 4,514
PS3 2,105
3DS 1,232
Vita TV 696
3DS LL 625