• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2017 (Oct 09 - Oct 15)

L~A

Anyone knows when PS3 and Wii U will stop being tracked? Both are already discontinued IIRC.

Week 52 will be the last week with PS3 and Wii U sales (also same for the New Nintendo 3DS, since it's been discontinued). Trackers always stop sharing public data at the beginning of the calendar year, though they sometime keep tracking the consoles (I remember that happened for the PS2, with the data only available to subscribers).

Only modern exception I can think of is the OG Xbox, that stopped being tracked right about when the 360 came out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No Heroes Allowed VR bomba yeahhhh.^_^

Also going to be Tokyo RPG Factory Last game.^_^

No Tharja no sale lol.T_T I need that Lyn though.^_^

I'm not sure why SE decided to set a company that pumps out low budget ps1 knock offs. BD seemed to have higher budget than these games and that was a 3DS game. Would it really kill them to get a decent director team and reasonable budget.

Regardless of it's relative impact on sales the lack of Tharja will always be odd. She was one of the most popular characters in awakening and lot more popular than most of the fate characters they decided to add.

I'm not sure why SE decided to set a company that pumps out low budget ps1 knock offs. BD seemed to have higher budget than these games and that was a 3DS game. Would it really kill them to get a decent director team and reasonable budget.

Regardless of it's relative impact on sales the lack of Tharja will always be odd. She was one of the most popular characters in awakening and lot more popular than most of the fate characters they decided to add.
it was never because of the budgets,BD sold well because the game itself was great

casiopao

Well, this is SE which is famous for seeing how much success BD is then sabotage it by not giving enough budget for the second instalment lol.^_^ What do you hope from those bastards?

Week 52 will be the last week with PS3 and Wii U sales (also same for the New Nintendo 3DS, since it's been discontinued). Trackers always stop sharing public data at the beginning of the calendar year, though they sometime keep tracking the consoles (I remember that happened for the PS2, with the data only available to subscribers).

Only modern exception I can think of is the OG Xbox, that stopped being tracked right about when the 360 came out.

2018 hardware sales will be weird in Japan:

PS3 and Wii U out

Xbox One (no comment), maybe a little boost with Xbox One X but so little

PS VITA will die slowly

3DS will sell far less than this year

It will remain only the Switch and the PS4 with strong sales

Sad year incoming...

They were talking about how they want more nostalgic, classic experiences for handhelds/mobile and bigger cinematic games for home consoles. Tokyo RPG Factory was created to have one more studio creating the first type of game.

Most of the budget will go to the bigger games, so smaller titles get the shaft.

ksamedi

Very Bad result for Lost sphear but I think jt was clear the game would bomb. If youre going low budget, at least try something interesting to make up for it. Lost Sphear learned all the wrong lessons from I am Setsuna, which acrually had a unique look but needed some more interesting mechanics and polish. Its clear the studio lacks vision and talent.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
it was never because of the budgets,BD sold well because the game itself was great

Eh the game didn't have that great of a word of mouth. Presentation did matter a lot as well as well as decent initial word of mouth. It's still one of the nice looking 3Ds games with a lovely 3D effect.

They were talking about how they want more nostalgic, classic experiences for handhelds/mobile and bigger cinematic games for home consoles. Tokyo RPG Factory was created to have one more studio creating the first type of game.

Most of the budget will go to the bigger games, so smaller titles get the shaft.

I know that but the point people they also cared about the polish and reasonable presentation/production values. BD didn't break out in the west because it looked and seemed like another dime a dozen JRPG. It looked like a modern 2D Final fantasy game or a game of that era with similar calibur. That's what people were looking for and had missed.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Zelda legs are really starting to show.

I wonder if more young adults are buying the Switch now. And if so, why?

Back when Splatoon came out (and moved a shit ton of hardware) Zelda was dropping every week. Lots of new owners but none of them gave two fuck about Zelda.

But now Zelda is either increasing or holding very well.
Of course more young adults are buying Switches compared to past Nintendo handheld systems. The Switch isn't necessarily cheap right now.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Zelda legs are really starting to show.

I wonder if more young adults are buying the Switch now. And if so, why?

Back when Splatoon came out (and moved a shit ton of hardware) Zelda was dropping every week. Lots of new owners but none of them gave two fuck about Zelda.

But now Zelda is either increasing or holding very well.

It's probably just higher switch supply.

casiopao

PS3 and Wii U out

PS VITA will die slowly

Sad year incoming...

3DS already did everything it could to carry Japan traditional gaming market for such long time lol. Now, everything will depend on Switch and PS4 to carry the market for future time.

You're probably joking but it's a PSVR only game, so obviously it's not gonna do big numbers. And AFAIK it was sold out in many places. COMG! even tweeted that all their stores were out of stock.
https://twitter.com/comg_nakajyou/status/919137400940408834

Lol. I am not joking at all. I hoped that game will bomb to the moon. I hated how much this IP had degrade after PSP era by Sony. I would even love the IP to just died forever rather than keep getting mocked like this.
'

The problem is, if you don't have big budget, then you should be able to try looking for other avenue to improve the game like better battle system or beautiful art or at least nice story. Here, none of them did good at all.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

PS3 and Wii U out

PS VITA will die slowly

Sad year incoming...
I wouldn't describe the PS4 sales as strong currently. It's still firmly in the slightly above peak vita sales level.

There's no place for an expensive B-tier RPG. If I want a throwback, comfort food RPG, I have plenty of other options. I can give Kemco 2 bucks or play an indie game like Earthlock or something.

I still have my physical copy preordered on the SE store.

casiopao

There's no place for an expensive B-tier RPG. If I want a throwback, comfort food RPG, I have plenty of other options. I can give Kemco 2 bucks or play an indie game like Earthlock or something.

I still have my physical copy preordered on the SE store.

Lol. Comparing any rpg company with Kemco is like the worst insult lol.^_^

To be fair to them, i think they make ok games, stuff that would be tempting at 15 or 20 dollars......SE is charging 50.

Well thats the biggest problem lol. It should be a budget title or even Digital only but S-E going to S-E.T_T I always think that if they put the rpg at the same pricing point as Child of Light from Ubisoft, the game would sold and do much better.

They can, I believe in them (especially the switch) but a 1vs1 without an another console makes me feel sad :(

Last gen for how bad Wii U is, at least it still sold something in Japan. This time, there is only Switch alone with some possibilities of hitting that 20 million mark in Japan. This generation is going to be a slow but painful dead for the industry.

Fisico

Lost Sphear bombed, hard, even harder than what was expected.
That might as well be the end of Tokyo RPG Factory, all hail Istolia maybe?

Usual arguments about "should have sold more than on Switch!", "wait for digital/western", "It sold more on Switch than PS4 proportionally looking at install base!", as expected :(

casiopao

Usual arguments about "should have sold more than on Switch!", "wait for digital/western", "It sold more on Switch than PS4 proportionally looking at install base!", as expected :(

Fisico the prophet.^_^

_Dog_

Neo Member
I'd like to see sales comparisons between PS4 and Switch versions of games that were released at the same time. I recall LEGO City Undercover, Cars 3 and One Piece selling better on Switch, while Nights of Azure 2 overall did better on PlayStation platforms. Does anyone have the information for more games that were released on PS4/Switch at the same time?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A little more than ps3 sales, i think it's strong in our time for a home console in Japan, not great but not bad.

I mean yeah Vita and the PS3 sold at around the same level for a while. I understand your point but I object to the use of strong. I use that to describe the 3DS (which was down from it's predecessor but still at a comparatively high LTD to the rest of the industry) and the the switch once it's sorted out it's supply issues.

I'd describe the PS4 sales as reasonable considering market conditions.

I'd like to see sales comparisons between PS4 and Switch versions of games that were released at the same time. I recall LEGO City Undercover, Cars 3 and One Piece selling better on Switch, while Nights of Azure 2 overall did better on PlayStation platforms. Does anyone have the information for more games that were released on PS4/Switch at the same time?

02./00. [PS4] FIFA 18 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥7.800) - 55.919 / NEW

08./00. [NSW] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥5.800) - 12.616 / NEW

Laplasakos

Totally forgot about Istolia. I wonder when we will actually see it.

Mory Dunz

the ratio the ratio the ratio!!

Yagami_Sama

Another good week for Nintendo Switch, good numbers. Also the gap between the Switch and PS4 version of the Lost Sphear was less than I expected.

Fire Emblem Musou numbers are quite low. The game looks good, but character roster is the main issue for me,

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
001.gif

Pac-man.

Can you divide it by company and then make the big part yellow and add an eye? I wanna tweet my sister.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This was the week Sony 'relaunched' VR with the new cheaper model. The exact same week last year Sony launched VR.

Aters

I think we are counting the last days of Tokyo RPG Factory. Thanks for trying SE, this is not the classic RPG we want.

Fisico

Fisico the prophet.^_^

The more interesting part is the bomba bin though, the rest is just harmless banter, give me a heads up if you see anything
on Switch

https://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/
Famitsu have a smaller platform gap for Lost Sphear, PS4 7.2K, NSW 6.5K. Lost Sphear at 20-40%.

I still see 0-20%?

Totally forgot about Istolia. I wonder when we will actually see it.

The later we see it the bigger the project will end up to be.
Like if we hear about it in the first half of 2018 that wouldn't be a good sign at all, considering they didn't even started anything when they announced the studio creation.

the ratio the ratio the ratio!!

I mean it's important on a <50k title right ^^...?

On a side note, both trackers are still slowly (1k) but surely aligning Cold Steel 3's sales with each other.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Bic Camera removed the final link that implied lotteries could happen again, Mario Odyssey Switch Set will be sold with the traditional way too.

Nintendo gives plenty of supply for US/UM double pack this time, it will have a bigger shipment than S/M.

Software sales don't look that great overall for this week. Nice hold on Switch HW for this week. I guess Zelda and MK8D holding as well as they are in the charts is good.

Lost Sphear didn't sell well like I expected.

test_account

XP-39C²
Isn't one bar 20%?

Like Fifa 18 PS4 has one bar so 0-20% stock left, Pokken two bars 20-40%, Date a Live (22nd) three bars 40-60%... and both Lost Sphear games have five bars so 80-100%...?

Maybe Famitsu has some weird way to display the information that confuses me though.
For some reason, they go from 6 bars, to 5, 3, 2 and 1. I havnt noticed before that theres no icon with 4 bars. If you look at the bottom of the Famitsu sales ranking page, it says how many percentages the icons represents.

Top Bottom