• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2011 (Oct 17 - Oct 23)

test_account

XP-39C²
lunchwithyuzo said:
Physical or digital doesn't really matter imo, both had a ton of games you couldn't play on the previous platform. I'd consider both GBC and DSi to be basically the same thing.

With a GBC you could at least play old GB games in color. I don't see what advantage a DSi really gives old DS games, unless you shelled out for the later XL.
I just edited my post before you posted, adding how i see the DSi. I see the extra stuff there more as a bonus, since the DSi is mainly a device that plays regular DS games. This isnt really the case with the GBC the way i see it, since there was pretty much no advantage of buying the GBC to mainly play regular GB games on it. Gameboy Color games were also full priced games as far as i remember, DSi games are cheaper, i see that more as an equivalent to Eshop/PS Store/XBLA etc.

Playing regular Gameboy games on Gameboy Color dont give that much colors as far as i know. Maybe some red/green hue, but not that much colors :) Unless the Gameboy games were specifically made with Gameboy Color and/or Super Gameboy support in mind.

qq more

Nuclear Muffin said:
Bigger screen (remember that the DSi also has a bigger screen than the DS/DSLite, not just the XL)

Only hybrid games could do that (and they were limited to 36 colours IIRC) Some original GB games had full colour via SGB though (maybe that's what you're thinking of?)
Actually, I was referring to games like Pokemon Gold/Silver as a comparison to DS games that has DSi-enhanced features that is only activated on the DSi (assuming they exist). Playable on Game Boy but plays in full color on the GBC (does the SGB version play it in full color by the way? Curious there)

qq more said:
Actually, I was referring to games like Pokemon Gold/Silver. Playable on Game Boy but plays in full color on the GBC (does the SGB version play it in full color by the way? Curious there)

That's a GBC hybrid game and no, it only plays with 4 shades of grey/4 colours on an SGB sadly (though it does have a custom border)

Pokemon G/S is exactly the same as B/W in that respect (GBC hybrid, DSi hybrid)

Crystal was a GBC only game and was able to take full advantage of the GBC hardware (Grey to follow in its footsteps as DSi only?!)

I don't know how big it is, but I think there is a slight chance that Rocket Slime 3 does a lot more than we are all estimating. I put in a safe estimate, but it could have good potential to expand upon the series typical sales with the right marketing and correct release date (which it has).

qq more

Nuclear Muffin said:
That's a GBC hybrid game and no, it only plays with 4 shades of grey/4 colours on an SGB sadly (though it does have a custom border)

Pokemon G/S is exactly the same as B/W in that respect (GBC hybrid, DSi hybrid)

Crystal was a GBC only game and was able to take full advantage of the GBC hardware (Grey to follow in its footsteps as DSi only?!)
Ah, right. I forgot B/W had camera features. Was trying to remember what DS games had that. Good call. :)

And I can now easily see Grey being a DSi-only game.

Sadist said:
How did the DS version perform? (Rocket Slime I mean)

It was released in December at about the level everyone is predicting, but had good legs through the holidays and ended up just shy of 300k I believe, I'm too lazy to look up hard numbers right now though.

BKK

Nuclear Muffin said:
Because it's an overclocked Gameboy (2X CPU) with 4x the RAM (and some minor upgrades to the 2D graphics engine)

Just like the DSi (exactly the same upgrade. 2X ARM 9 CPU, 4X RAM)

It's not new hardware, hence not a new console (insert Wii joke here)

How is that not new hardware, or were you being sarcastic?

qq more

test_account said:
I wonder if we're going to see some 3DS stuff instead.
As long as compatibility between Pokemon 3DS and DS games are still possible. Otherwise, why bother making another entry to Gen 5 on a different system

test_account

XP-39C²
qq more said:
As long as compatibility between Pokemon 3DS and DS games are still possible. Otherwise, why bother making another entry to Gen 5 on a different system
I ment compability indeed, that it will work on both DS and 3DS.

test_account said:
I just edited my post before you posted, adding how i see the DSi. I see the extra stuff there more as a bonus, since the DSi is mainly a device that plays regular DS games. This isnt really the case with the GBC the way i see it, since there was pretty much no advantage of buying the GBC to mainly play regular GB games on it. Gameboy Color games were also full priced games as far as i remember, DSi games are cheaper, i see that more as an equivalent to Eshop/PS Store/XBLA etc.

Playing regular Gameboy games on Gameboy Color dont give that much colors as far as i know. Maybe some red/green hue, but not that much colors :) Unless the Gameboy games were specifically made with Gameboy Color and/or Super Gameboy support in mind.
There are also retail DSi only games btw. Maybe you don't see DSiWare as anything but a "bonus" but there's a ton of content there than a DS or Lite owner is locked out of, and more content than a GB or GBP owner was locked out of.

Regular GB games had 12 base palettes to choose from (with 10 colors each vs 4 shades of grey) and there were also 93 GB games that had custom programmed palettes programmed in (including some that predated SGB/GBC like Metroid 2). The GBC screen was also larger and had better visibility than the GB or GBP screens. Comparing Metroid 2 on the peasoup green original GB to the game running on a GBC is like night and day.

If you only wanted to play DS games, a DS or DS Lite was comparable to a DSi for that. If you only wanted to play GB games, a GBC was still comparably better than a GB or GBP. Your argument here literally works backwards against the larger point you're pushing.

test_account said:
Arent most (if not all) of those exclusive DSi games downloadble only? That makes more sense at least. But with GBC there are a lot of retail games. It was kinda pointless to buy the GBC back in the day to only play Gameboy game. But with the DSi, it is mainly a device that plays DS games. The extra stuff like camera and DSi games is more as a bonus. At least that is the way i see it.

Yeah, the DSi/GBC comparison doesn't hold up at all. DSiWare was never marketed by Nintendo as that huge a selling point, and it certainly isn't comparable in relative quality to the GBC-exclusive software library (which, lest we forget, very rapidly became the overwhelming majority of software released for the platform).

The technical comparison is certainly apt, but it should be pretty inarguable that GBC was branded, marketed, and positioned as a distinct platform from GB, whereas DSi was never branded, marketed, and positioned as anything more than an improved DS model.

Father_Brain said:
The technical comparison is certainly apt, but it should be pretty inarguable that GBC was branded, marketed, and positioned as a distinct platform from GB, whereas DSi was never branded, marketed, and positioned as anything more than an improved DS model.
This would have less to do with the merits of the platform versus the marketing tactics of the day. I mean 3DS was also basically branded, marketed and positioned as an improved DS model.... what's that mean then?

Ultimately Nintendo considers GB, GBP and GBC to all be the same "platform". Just as they do DS, DSL, DSi and DSiXL. I'd say we defer to that over anything really.

test_account

XP-39C²
lunchwithyuzo said:
There are also retail DSi only games btw. Maybe you don't see DSiWare as anything but a "bonus" but there's a ton of content there than a DS or Lite owner is locked out of, and more content than a GB or GBP owner was locked out of.

Regular GB games had 12 base palettes to choose from (with 10 colors each vs 4 shades of grey) and there were also 93 GB games that had custom programmed palettes programmed in (including some that predated SGB/GBC like Metroid 2). The GBC screen was also larger and had better visibility than the GB or GBP screens. Comparing Metroid 2 on the peasoup green original GB to the game running on a GBC is like night and day.

If you only wanted to play DS games, a DS or DS Lite was comparable to a DSi for that. If you only wanted to play GB games, a GBC was still comparably better than a GB or GBP. Your argument here literally works backwards against the larger point you're pushing.
True, but there are litterally only a handful of retail DSi games as far as i know.

The Gameboy games i've tried on i.e Super Gameboy havnt had much colors to them. But i guess that maybe there are some expections? (not thinking about games that were programmed with Super Gameboy/GBC support in mind, like Metroid 2 as you mentioned). But you're right that this was one advantage to own the GBC, since it had quite a few enhanced games that gave the GBP an upper hand over the regular Gameboy on this point, i didnt think much about that earlier :)

I'm not arguing against that the DSi have more content compared to the first two DS models. And you're right that the arguements i make works both for the DSi and the GBC. But i still see the Gameboy Color as a seperate system. I guess it is mostly because of all the full priced retail GBC games that excist.

Father_Brain said:
Yeah, the DSi/GBC comparison doesn't hold up at all. DSiWare was never marketed by Nintendo as that huge a selling point, and it certainly isn't comparable in relative quality to the GBC-exclusive software library (which, lest we forget, very rapidly became the overwhelming majority of software released for the platform).

Good points, especially about how the quality of the games are and how Nintendo marketed the system differently :)

BKK

lunchwithyuzo said:
Ultimately Nintendo considers GB, GBP and GBC to all be the same "platform". Just as they do DS, DSL, DSi and DSiXL. I'd say we defer to that over anything really.

If a publisher is planning GBC or DSi format software then they're not going to combine non-compatible systems to work out a potential userbase just because that's what Nintendo does.

The difference between GBC and DSi is that GBC software eventually superseded GB compatible software, just as happens with other BC systems. If you wanted to continue to play the latest games you were forced to buy new hardware. That never happened with DSi where standard DS format software has continued to be the primary software released for the system throughout it's life.

BKK said:
If a publisher is planning GBC or DSi format software then they're not going to combine non-compatible systems to work out a potential userbase just because that's what Nintendo does.

The difference between GBC and DSi is that GBC software eventually superseded GB compatible software, just as happens with other BC systems. If you wanted to continue to play the latest games you were forced to buy new hardware. That never happened with DSi where standard DS format software has continued to be the primary software released for the system throughout it's life.
The final GB compatible game was released in 2001 in the US, 2002 for Japan. How much longer after that were people really buying GBs or GBCs anyway? I mean even best case we're probably talking about a year of "superceding" releases, and I'd argue it wasn't even a complete turn over until we were into GBA's cycle anyway.

BKK

lunchwithyuzo said:
The final GB compatible game was released in 2001 in the US, 2002 for Japan. How much longer after that were people really buying GBs or GBCs anyway? I mean even best case we're probably talking about a year of "superceding" releases, and I'd argue it wasn't even a complete turn over until we were into GBA's cycle anyway.

It's not something that happened overnight with the release of the last GB game, the proportion of GBC to GB releases continually increased over a longer period of time, something that clearly hasn't happened with DSi.

BKK said:
It's not something that happened overnight with the release of the last GB game, the proportion of GBC to GB releases continually increased over a longer period of time, something that clearly hasn't happened with DSi.
Actually, the GB to GBC transition seemed to happen over an extremely truncated period. Really it wasn't until late 2000/early 2001 that we started seeing a significant amount of Color only games even and a year later the system was basically finishing out. We'll have to see how the DS/DSi winds down comparably, it's been more drawn out to this point for sure but DSiWare's been going strong since the start (stronger than Color only was by far) and DSi compatible releases have gotten more common as well.

BKK

Looking at DSi exclusive retail releases on Wikipedia there are only 5 games listed, one of which appears to have been cancelled. All four of the listed released titles require the camera, and one was even released in Japan with a camera peripheral so it could be played on DS/DS Lite.

It makes me wonder if any of these games are true DSi games, using the system's extra resources, or if they are really just standard DS games which use the camera as a peripheral. It would be interesting to see if any of these games could be hacked to run on a standard DS.

BKK

lunchwithyuzo said:
Actually, the GB to GBC transition seemed to happen over an extremely truncated period. Really it wasn't until late 2000/early 2001 that we started seeing a significant amount of Color only games even and a year later the system was basically finishing out. We'll have to see how the DS/DSi winds down comparably, it's been more drawn out to this point for sure but DSiWare's been going strong since the start (stronger than Color only was by far) and DSi compatible releases have gotten more common as well.

Japanese GBC exclusive and GB compatible releases since GBC launch*:

Code:
	1998	1999	2000	2001	2002	2003	Total
GBC	0	29	105	103	13	2	252
GB	29	119	70	16	2	0	236
Total	29	148	175	119	15	2	488
GBC %	0%	20%	60%	87%	87%	100%

*Excluding special editions and educational titles.

In comparison, AFAIK there has only been one Japanese DSi retail exclusive, so I won't waste my time compiling a chart for that.

kwaoghana

Neo Member
Lol hope I don't tank

[3DS] ** 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 149,000
[3DS] * Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 (Square Enix) - 50,000
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 350,000
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) - 240,000
[PS3] * Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - 20,000
[PS3] * Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (SCE) - 15,000

Father_Brain said:

Yes, and that's all it was -- a marketing difference. The increase in power was the same, both have some dual-mode games (though the GBC certainly has far, far more of them), etc... they're both new systems, not just upgraded models like the GBP or DS lite. However, maybe in part because of their memories of being criticized by some for ditching the GBC after just 2 1/2 years, or maybe because they just realized that it was better marketing to sell a new system that you were planning to give only a very short life as not a new system at all, but that's what Nintendo did.

However, their clever and successful marketing strategy doesn't change that the DSi is in fact a new system. Just that its CPU is twice as powerful, just like how the GBC's was, should show that on its own. That it also has new hardware features (camera and downloadable games for DSi, color and an IR port for GBC) just adds to it. In terms of whether they're new systems or not, the difference between the DSi and GBC is primarily marketing, not hardware.

lunchwithyuzo said:

You're right that for playing last-gen games the GBC was a clear upgrade over previous portable GB systems while the DSi is not, but that doesn't change the fact that the DSi is a new system anyway. That isn't what determines if it's an new system or not, I would say.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Well, it is true that while most 1998-1999 GBC games are dual mode, most 2000 and on titles are GBC only. Most people did upgrade. Also, B&W only GB games vanished almost immediately -- I don't know of any at all, in the US at least, after 1998. Everything had color modes added. That's mostly probably because of the nature of the addon, though -- color is a more obvious addition for a retail title than a camera and downloadable games. In comparison, the other new GBC hardware feature, that IR port, was barely used by much of anything, understandably.

But yes, you're right, when you compare the two, more people got GBCs than DSi/iXLs. But part of that is again because of the marketing difference -- Nintendo was selling it as the new system you had to get, the original models were quickly discounted and dropped, all new games added color options within months of its release... it makes sense that the DSi wouldn't match it in those ways.

However, because the DSi is the same degree of upgrade in terms of processor, and because it does also have its own exclusive games (and yes, there are five or six DSi-only card-based titles, it's not just downloads), and new hardware features you can't get on the original system, the DSi, like the GBC, is definitely a new system.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo didn't promote and the market didn't see DSi as a new system but as another revision.

I don't think this was the case with GameBoy Color.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Pokémon came out in Germany well after the GBC, without Color-support.

Cygnus X-1

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo didn't promote and the market didn't see DSi as a new system but as another revision.

Is there some hope to get rough estimations of Super Mario Land and 3DS hardware tomorrow?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cygnus X-1 said:
Is there some hope to get rough estimations of Super Mario Land and 3DS hardware tomorrow?
They come out this Thursday.

P.S. Unfortunately azalyn this time must have stopped for real.

Cygnus X-1

Chris1964 said:
They come out this Thursday.

P.S. Unfortunately azalyn this time must have stopped for real.

That's too bad. Would be nice to have some direct musings from Japan. I wonder if there were lines to get Mario.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Lines don't mean anything.

Ljp7o.jpg

DzwnL.jpg

Rmqw3.jpg

and

bluedragon.gif

cvxfreak

Just noticed that 2011 total hardware sales have surpassed the 2010 total for the same week. That's pretty remarkable given how bleak things were looking right after the March earthquake.

saichi

Predictions

[3DS] 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 152796
[3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 (Square Enix) - 41395
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 368,945
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) - 29,001
[PS3] Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - 71,382
[PS3] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (SCE) - 64.502

EDITED

cvxfreak said:
Just noticed that 2011 total hardware sales have surpassed the 2010 total for the same week. That's pretty remarkable given how bleak things were looking right after the March earthquake.

I think that's been happening for a while. New hardware.

Alrus

Might as well start throwing in predictions :)

[3DS] 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 160,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 (Square Enix) - 42,300
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 365,500
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) - 28,000
[PS3] Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - 35,000
[PS3] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (SCE) - 65,000

Chris1964 said:

Yeah, that's what I said, the difference is marketing, not hardware.

Yoshi said:
Pokémon came out in Germany well after the GBC, without Color-support.
Huh, Pokemon Red/Blue was released in 1999 in Europe... still though, that's a 1996 Japan game, and mid 1998 US. One game coming out in one region later only sort of counts. That'd be sort of like saying that first party support for the GBC continued into late 2002, because NOA released Hamtaro for the GBC in fall '02, but the game was a pre-GBA, earlry 2001 title in Japan, and in Japan there were no first party GBC games released after the early days of the GBA in spring 2001. It's sort of true... but not really.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet time!

Weekly Sales Charts

Updated: 31 October 2011 (Mon) 08:00
Index aggregation period: 30 October 2011 ~ October 24, 2011

[PSP] Final Fantasy Zero formula - 1378pt
[Wii] Kirby of the Stars Wii - 451pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 66pt
[PS3] hen began de Fuca and Desuko Disgaea Disgaea 4. Append Limited Edition - 62pt
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 51pt
[PS3] Idolmaster 2 (Limited Edition) - 46pt
[PSP] NARUTO-Naruto - Shippuuden Narutimate Impact - 35pt
[PS3] Idol Master 2 Limited Edition "also gravure anime game! Special fit @ BOX "- 34pt
[Wii] GO VACATION (Go Travel) - 29pt
[PSP] game Rule Stratus - 29pt
[PS3] DEAD ISLAND - 27pt
[PSP] Yu Rouki part over! (Limited Edition) - 24pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 21pt
[PS3] FIFA 12 World Class Soccer - 21pt
[PS3] ACE COMBAT ASSAULT HORIZON - 21pt
[PS3] hen began de Fuca and Desuko Disgaea Disgaea 4. (Limited Edition) - 20pt
[PS3] Macross F ~ ~ Sayonara wing Hybrid Pack Movie - 19pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam AKB1/48 Idol (Limited Edition) - 18pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 Limited Edition - 17pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 auction, please be left in their Limited Edition! BOX - 17pt

Daily preorder chart

Ranking is closed at October 30, 2011

[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 345pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku-Project DIVA-extend - 331pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 277pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (slide pad Bundle) - 213pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 212pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 124Pt
[PS3] PS3 Sengoku BASARA3 Feast - 119pt
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Subtitled) - 119pt
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam VS Extreme - 118pt
[PS3] Battlefield 3 - 111pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Taisen 2 - 106pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 93Pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's PORTABLE-THE GEARS OF DESTINY-GOD BOX Limited Edition - 65pt
[NDS] One Piece Gigant Battle the New World 2 (Limited Edition) - 61pt
[PS3] Uncharted - Atlantis sleep in the desert - - 58pt
[Wii] The Legend of Zelda Sword Ward Sky (with a special CD) - 56pt
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 51pt
[PSP] Seventh Dragon 2020 (Limited Edition) - 51pt
[Wii] Zelda 25 Pack anniversary Sky Sword Legend of Zelda Sword - 49pt
[PSP] special government agencies Seventh Dragon 2020 "cloud masses" set decoration only - 49pt

Monster Hunter 3G - 558pt
Monster Hunter 3 - 457pt

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 105pt

Super Mario 3D Land - 212pt
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 254pt
Galaxy ended with 201pt, so 3D Land is over the first Galaxy by default

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 277pt
Final Fantasy XIII - 939pt

Alrus

Funny to see Type Zero higher than XIII when it has no chance of selling nearly as well. Proves how it's impossible to predict anything from those charts... Still it's fun to look at them (just like amazon top seller) =)

Mpl90 said:
Comgnet time!

Weekly Sales Charts

Index aggregation period: 30 October 2011 ~ October 24, 2011

[PSP] Final Fantasy Zero formula - 1378pt
[Wii] Kirby of the Stars Wii - 451pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 66pt
[PS3] hen began de Fuca and Desuko Disgaea Disgaea 4. Append Limited Edition - 62pt
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 51pt
[PS3] Idolmaster 2 (Limited Edition) - 46pt
[PSP] NARUTO-Naruto - Shippuuden Narutimate Impact - 35pt
[PS3] Idol Master 2 Limited Edition "also gravure anime game! Special fit @ BOX "- 34pt
[Wii] GO VACATION (Go Travel) - 29pt
[PSP] game Rule Stratus - 29pt
[PS3] DEAD ISLAND - 27pt
[PSP] Yu Rouki part over! (Limited Edition) - 24pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 21pt
[PS3] FIFA 12 World Class Soccer - 21pt
[PS3] ACE COMBAT ASSAULT HORIZON - 21pt
[PS3] hen began de Fuca and Desuko Disgaea Disgaea 4. (Limited Edition) - 20pt
[PS3] Macross F ~ ~ Sayonara wing Hybrid Pack Movie - 19pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam AKB1/48 Idol (Limited Edition) - 18pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 Limited Edition - 17pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 auction, please be left in their Limited Edition! BOX - 17pt

Daily preorder chart

Ranking is closed at October 30, 2011

[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 345pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku-Project DIVA-extend - 331pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 277pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (slide pad Bundle) - 213pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 212pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 124Pt
[PS3] PS3 Sengoku BASARA3 Feast - 119pt
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Subtitled) - 119pt
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam VS Extreme - 118pt
[PS3] Battlefield 3 - 111pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Taisen 2 - 106pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 93Pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's PORTABLE-THE GEARS OF DESTINY-GOD BOX Limited Edition - 65pt
[NDS] One Piece Gigant Battle the New World 2 (Limited Edition) - 61pt
[PS3] Uncharted - Atlantis sleep in the desert - - 58pt
[Wii] The Legend of Zelda Sword Ward Sky (with a special CD) - 56pt
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 51pt
[PSP] Seventh Dragon 2020 (Limited Edition) - 51pt
[Wii] Zelda 25 Pack anniversary Sky Sword Legend of Zelda Sword - 49pt
[PSP] special government agencies Seventh Dragon 2020 "cloud masses" set decoration only - 49pt

Monster Hunter 3G - 558pt
Monster Hunter 3 - 457pt

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 105pt

Super Mario 3D Land - 212pt
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 254pt
Galaxy ended with 201pt, so 3D Land is over the first Galaxy by default

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 277pt
Final Fantasy XIII - 939pt

I'm assuming that's the points ff13 had this point before release, if so that's terrible could we be looking at a (sort of)mainline ff launching at less than a million ???

Erethian

frankie_baby said:
I'm assuming that's the points ff13 had this point before release, if so that's terrible could we be looking at a (sort of)mainline ff launching at less than a million ???

No, because Comgnet is one step above meaningless, so far as sales predictions go.

Mpl90

New release dates.

{2012.02.23}

[PS3] The Idolm@ster: Gravure For You! Vol.5 (Bandai Namco Games)

{2012.02.29}

[3DS] Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin (Marvelous AQL )

{2012.03.29}

[PS3] The Idolm@ster: Gravure for You! Vol.6 (Bandai Namco Games)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Alrus said:
Funny to see Type Zero higher than XIII when it has no chance of selling nearly as well. Proves how it's impossible to predict anything from those charts... Still it's fun to look at them (just like amazon top seller) =)
One game came out, the other is coming out after 1.5 month.

vareon

This is my first time joining in.

[3DS] ** 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 140000
[3DS] * Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 (Square Enix) - 40000
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 300000
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) - 70000
[PS3] * Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - 35000
[PS3] * Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (SCE) - 50000

beril

I'm a bit curious about why people are expecting such a big difference between XIII-2 and Type-0, apart from the whole being on PSP and not being called MonsterHunter thing. Wasn't Type-0 supposed to be a near-mainline effort and has been in development for ages, while XIII-2 pretty much came out of nowhere and is based on the worst game in the series. I'm probably imagining a very exaggerated backlash from XIII, as I absolutely detest that game, but I still think it's realistic that we'll see a much bigger drop than from X to X-2. I have to admit I haven't payed close attention to either of them and probably won't play another mainline FF game until there's a major shift in the direction, but Type-0 at least looks a lot more interesting in the trailers.

jeremy1456

beril said:
I'm a bit curious about why people are expecting such a big difference between XIII-2 and Type-0, apart from the whole being on PSP and not being called MonsterHunter thing. Wasn't Type-0 supposed to be a near-mainline effort and has been in development for ages, while XIII-2 pretty much came out of nowhere and is based on the worst game in the series. I'm probably imagining a very exaggerated backlash from XIII, as I absolutely detest that game, but I still think it's realistic that we'll see a much bigger drop than from X to X-2. I have to admit I haven't payed close attention to either of them and probably won't play another mainline FF game until there's a major shift in the direction, but Type-0 at least looks a lot more interesting in the trailers.

Well think of it this way - no side game (no matter the effort) has outperformed the only direct sequel (FFX-2) to a mainline FF game. Honestly Type-0 will probably perform close to Dissidia.

The predictions are fair.

beril

jeremy1456 said:
Well think of it this way - no side game (no matter the effort) has outperformed the only direct sequel (FFX-2) to a mainline FF game. Honestly Type-0 will probably perform close to Dissidia.

The predictions are fair.

Yes but as you say there has also only ever been one direct sequel to compare to. And though I don't know about japan, both X-2 and XIII left quite a bit of stigma for a lot of people. Isn't it possible that X-2 lowered people's interest in direct sequels for FF and that people do not want to return to the workl of FFXIII?

Also Dissidia seems like such a weird game to compare it to; maybe there are preorder numbers to back this up and the general hype and marketing effort is similiar. Again I admit I haven't followed the games very closely, but for any other game I'd call people crazy if they base the prediction for an RPG on a fighting game spinnoff

gimz

looking at the number of 3DS, i feel like i have seen it with the NDS first came out
after price drop, sale raised, holiday comes, with all the good titles, 3DS sales raise to heaven, and around Spring, Nintendo announce second model of 3DS and that will take over the market in Japan

Mpl90

New release dates

{2012.01.19}

[360] Power-Up Heroes (Microsoft Games Studios)

{2012.02.23}

[PSP] 車輪の国、向日葵の少女(5pb.) *

[PS3] Asura's Wrath (Capcom)

[360] Asura's Wrath (Capcom)

{2012.02.xx}

[3DS] Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die (Chunsoft)

[PSV] Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die (Chunsoft)

*This is a title announced in Famitsu, but I don't want to put the Google Translator translation...someone who could help us?

Has been a long time since I last did predictations:

[3DS] 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 130,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 (Square Enix) - 45,000
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 250,000
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) - 35,000
[PS3] Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - 50,000
[PS3] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (SCE) - 60,000

Top Bottom