• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2011 (Oct 17 - Oct 23)

The Abominable Snowman said:
The 3DS is seen as a new cheap DS model, and it shows. It's eating into DSi, DSL, and DSiXL sales, with no unique software sales of its own.
While this is certainly the case in the US, it's not at all in Japan. DS sales had already bottomed out before 3DS took off with the price cut and renewed campaigns. If anything, I'd say 3DS is more eating into PSP than DS at this point, and that's going to accelerate immensely once MH3G hits.

test_account

XP-39C²
Augemitbutter said:
i didn't know that. it's just natural that people go for the newer version then, since it's backward compatible. explains the low 3DS software numbers.
Some stores might sell the DSi cheaper though, but i dont think that it is much cheaper than the 3DS, so it isnt much reason to buy a DSi instead.

Laguna

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
so are 3DS systems being bought because DS isn't widely available anymore new, or with a similar price?

they are mainly bought for its upcoming lineup (Mario3Dland next week, MK7, Winning Eleven, KH, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter...)

Rolf NB

Lord_Byron28 said:
The pink 3DS was released which is why hardware got a huge jump, unless I'm mistaken. Nintendogs also saw a nice boost in sales.
JVIDICAN said:
The Pink 3DS was released on the 20th. that would explain the hardware boost.
Edit:
Little late I guess. :p
Well that goes some way to explain it I guess, thanks.

Anth0ny

Its going to crack 100k when MH drops. There's probably a ton of people waiting on the MH+Frankenstick 3DS bundle.

Anth0ny said:
Its going to crack 100k when MH drops. There's probably a ton of people waiting on the MH+Frankenstick 3DS bundle.
no man, it is going to crack 100k much sooner, and it'll crack a very higher number when TriG hits.

The week including 3DL will be over 100k, and probably will stay so for the rest of the year.

Dedication Through Light said:
At this rate 3DS might hit 3.5mln end of year.

I would not be much surprised if 3DS sold even much more than that by the end of the year, say 4 mln to stay low, since we may expect much bigger hardware sale figures once Monster Hunter 3G, Mario Kart7 and the lot are out.

What is yet to be seen is whether 3DS will be able to keep this pace in the long run, which it's ways too early to say in my opinion.

Anth0ny said:

100K ???? are you being serious if it only does 300k mh week that'd be a disappointment

also the bundle doesnt include a frankenstick

test_account

XP-39C²
Taken from the previous MC thread (i didnt want to bump it now since there is a new MC thread) :

charlequin said:
No, not remotely. You don't pack in an HDMI cable as a gimme to the big box retailers, who generally mark up $3 cables to $25+ and make a huge margin by selling these cables to ignorant customers buying new electronics.

Not that it really matters, anyway. It's bullshit when Microsoft does it with hard drives, it's bullshit when everyone does it with cables, and it's bullshit when Sony does it with proprietary storage media now. This is one of the most egregiously gratuitous and consumer-unfriendly way of tacking a margin onto an otherwise competitively-priced product; it's quite absurd to defend it.
That could be a reason too indeed. But it is also to save money on production. Like the first USB cables that were included with the PS3 were maybe 6 feet long. But later PS3 models have a USB cable that is like 1 feet long. I dont think that this was only done to start selling more expencive USB cables. Cutting just the smallest things can lead to big saving when millions of units are being produced.

It wasnt exactly about defending either, but i think there are some logical/understandable reasons behind including only composite cables at least. If one HDMI cable cost $1, then that is $50 million saved for both Microsoft and Sony in the PS3 and Xbox 360 lifetime (both system have sold over 50 million units each).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
White and Super Mario 3D Land will make 3DS go to 100k.
New color, but this time with a valuable software.
...No, two, because there's even Slime Mori Mori, which can be certainly helped by the new color.
But it's in December the time when 3DS will become unstoppable.

Jokeropia

3DS is in an excellent position right now, with strong hardware sales and an upcoming software lineup the likes of which might never have been seen before. Selling on the promise of future releases is a pretty rare phenomena (usually you don't get a boost until the games get released), and that the 3DS has been able to do so these past weeks (this particular week also being helped by the new color) is a sign of strength. Trying to spin it into something negative is either glaring ignorance or fanboy nonsense.

The 3DS is seen as a new cheap DS model, and it shows. It's eating into DSi, DSL, and DSiXL sales, with no unique software sales of its own. This must suck for Nintendo because they are taking a loss with each 3DS sold, with no software sales to make up for it.

Same thing I said in the quarterly thread.

Nintendo will bounce back after a strong holiday season.

It's not even a question.

Kenka

Strangely enough, Chris hasn't share his thoughts about how the 3DS may fare this holiday season. What are your latest conclusions Chris ?

Celine

Berksy said:
How come Tetris not sell well in JAPAN of all places?

And how did Nintendo DS Tetris fare?
I think to remember that ir did around 1 million.
It was Nintendo branded though.

For those wondering about the 3DS software attach rate. Has nobody considered the possibility that a lot of new owners are picking up 2nd hand 3DS software? (and of course new and 2nd hand DS software)

Berksy said:

Tetris generally has amazing legs
I don't expect it to be anywhere close to tetris ds but when all is saif and done I expect a respectable total

Nuclear Muffin said:
For those wondering about the 3DS software attach rate. Has nobody considered the possibility that a lot of new owners are picking up 2nd hand 3DS software?

I'd imagine second-hand 3DS software, some of the relatively few new releases, second-hand DS software and new DS releases, but trying to figure out how many DS games are bought for the 3DS would be bloody difficult, if not impossible. What would be interesting would be retailer reports on how much secondhand 3DS software is moving and for what kind of prices.

jman2050

Nuclear Muffin said:
For those wondering about the 3DS software attach rate. Has nobody considered the possibility that a lot of new owners are picking up 2nd hand 3DS software? (and of course new and 2nd hand DS software)

If 3DS adopters are actually buying it for DS software, then this is probably the best demonstration of the importance of BC yet.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Berksy said:

You can play the DS game on 3DS, which most of its audience alrady have.

Nuclear Muffin said:

And virtual console stuff. People keep forgetting there's quite a lot of cool stuff available for download now. It's not the huge draw of big shiny new releases, but at least some people will be downloading these old favorites.

Rolf NB

Jokeropia said:
3DS is in an excellent position right now, with strong hardware sales and an upcoming software lineup the likes of which might never have been seen before. Selling on the promise of future releases is a pretty rare phenomena (usually you don't get a boost until the games get released), and that the 3DS has been able to do so these past weeks (this particular week also being helped by the new color) is a sign of strength. Trying to spin it into something negative is either glaring ignorance or fanboy nonsense.
Awesome that nobody did that then.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think now 3DS is selling not only for anticipation, but because... we always forget it, but it has some preinstalled software. They were supposed to do the trick at 3DS launch, with word of mouth and everything...maybe they're obtaining to do it now, due to a much more mass market price.

test_account said:
It wasnt exactly about defending either, but i think there are some logical/understandable reasons behind including only composite cables at least.

Well, it's kind of a scale, right? If you replace a 6" USB cord with a 1" one, you're not really hurting anyone. I already had a 6" Mini B cord sitting around (and I could've gotten one elsewhere if I needed) but potentially saving $X00,000 or more on production. If you only include a composite cable, that was a bit worse earlier on when your alternative was a $40+ component cable, but now that HDMI is standard everywhere it's not so bad.

The proprietary media is much worse than either because there's no alternative. It's just passing a huge, invented cost onto the end user to try to make up for thin margins elsewhere, and it puts a huge drag on the DD business for the system. That's why this particular angle (that, again, Microsoft was guilty of with their 360 HDs) is so bad.

Mpl90 said:
I think now 3DS is selling not only for anticipation, but because... we always forget it, but it has some preinstalled software. They were supposed to do the trick at 3DS launch, with word of mouth and everything...maybe they're obtaining to do it now, due to a much more mass market price.

That's true as well, it could be well having that effect now that Nintendo were aiming for originally. But I think that quite a few consumers might be getting by with 2nd hand 3DS software too.

test_account

XP-39C²
charlequin said:
Well, it's kind of a scale, right? If you replace a 6" USB cord with a 1" one, you're not really hurting anyone. I already had a 6" Mini B cord sitting around (and I could've gotten one elsewhere if I needed) but potentially saving $X00,000 or more on production. If you only include a composite cable, that was a bit worse earlier on when your alternative was a $40+ component cable, but now that HDMI is standard everywhere it's not so bad.

The proprietary media is much worse than either because there's no alternative. It's just passing a huge, invented cost onto the end user to try to make up for thin margins elsewhere, and it puts a huge drag on the DD business for the system. That's why this particular angle (that, again, Microsoft was guilty of with their 360 HDs) is so bad.
Sure, i'm not exactly a huge fan of proprietary media myself. But i was accused of doing hardcore Sony defence when i only mentioned some reasons why just composite cables are included with consoles, i didnt mention anything about proprietary solutions. But sure, not including it is because of saving production costs and hoping that people buy their branded HDMI cables instead :)

DGRE

Banned
3DS numbers are amazing. Go Vacation opened well and Just Dance 2 dropped gracefully.

At the current rate, Nintendogs + Cats will hit 400k before year's end and LoZ:OoT3D will cross 500k around the same time.

Really impressive legs on both titles. I think 3DS is destined to great things this Winter.

Garaph 1st week numbers for other Tetris games this gen...

[360] Tetris: the Grand Master Ace (AQ interactive) 1,531
[NDS] Tetris DS (Nintendo) 365,097
[NDS] Tetris Party Premium (Hudson) 18,076
[WII] Tetris Party Deluxe (Hudson) n/a

Datschge

charlequin said:
Is the Vita even usable without a proprietary memory card (as it hasn't internal memory either)? Would be fun if all the computer illiterate costumers return the system instead buying a card after finding out one absolutely needs one.

Datschge said:
Is the Vita even usable without a proprietary memory card (as it hasn't internal memory either)? Would be fun if all the computer illiterate return the system instead buying a card after finding out one absolutely needs one.

Can't launch games that require it, should be able to use the system otherwise.
Packaging is supposedly emblazoned with notices about card requirements though.

Jokeropia

Rolf NB said:
Awesome that nobody did that then.
->
It's eating into DSi, DSL, and DSiXL sales, with no unique software sales of its own. This must suck for Nintendo because they are taking a loss with each 3DS sold, with no software sales to make up for it.

I don't even want to imagine the scenario outside of Japan.

rpmurphy

djplaeskool said:
Can't launch games that require it, should be able to use the system otherwise.
Packaging is supposedly emblazoned with notices about card requirements though.
You can't use any of its media features - pictures, video, music - without one, right? It has cameras, but without somewhere to store the pictures and video, they seem kinda useless. I wonder too if the various apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Nicovideo) need it too, or if they're packed in.

donny2112

Man God said:
But it barely outsold the rest of the field combined! I just don't know about this 3DS...

I demand a Pac-Chart!!!
please :)

Edit:
Kenka said:
jsj3ev.png

There we go. Thanks. Needs more yellow, though. :)

Chris1964 said:
01./00. [PS3] Gekijouban Macross F: Sayonara no Tsubasa # <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.10.20} (¥7.140) - 142.607 / NEW

02. / 00. [PS3] Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - Hybrid Pack (Bandai Namco) - 152.699 / NEW

Went down a little bit, but pretty consistent with False Songstress last year.

rpmurphy said:
You can't use any of its media features - pictures, video, music - without one, right? It has cameras, but without somewhere to store the pictures and video, they seem kinda useless. I wonder too if the various apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Nicovideo) need it too, or if they're packed in.

Yeah, that too.
I agree with the idea that they could pack in a cheap 256 or 512MB stick for minimal media use/game saves, so at least the system in its entirety could be used out of the box.

Top Bottom