• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2014 (Oct 13 - Oct 19)

duckroll

It's not that it sold much better elsewhere. But OP fanbase is mainly on PS3 and 3DS.

I don't think the "OP fanbase" is anywhere in particular. We're talking about the most popular ongoing entertainment series in Japan. The fanbase is everywhere. It mostly depends on the individual games and how attractive they look to the general audience.

I don't think the "OP fanbase" is anywhere in particular. We're talking about the most popular ongoing entertainment series in Japan. The fanbase is everywhere. It mostly depends on the individual games and how attractive they look to the general audience.

This is also true.

errr what? since when?

er

first week:
16./00. [WIU] One Piece: Unlimited World Red <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.12} (¥7.171) - 4.242 / NEW <20-40%>

second week:
29./16. [WIU] One Piece: Unlimited World Red <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.12} (¥7.171) - 1.843 / 6.085 <40-60%> (-57%)

(famitsu)

not denying it didn't sell well. It did also poorly elsewhere as stated above.
Deducing from this that there is no audience is quite far fretched.

Oregano

Unlimited Red probably got released on Wii U because it was developed by Ganbarion. Also the Vita and PS3 versions bombed in Japan too.

Colombo

Audience is not there. Western sales are important for these series as well. Naruto games are million sellers yet sell <200k in Japan. In fact UNS3 has shipped 2 million. 1 million NA, 750k in EU and 250k in JP.

A better question is why isn't Naruto on PS4 yet.

While it's hard to predict what a Wii U version of those games would sell, didn't the Naruto Wii games published by Tomy on GCN do pretty decently in Japan? Those games were also well received in the West yet Ubi nor Namco ever bothered on Wii U with their current PS3/360 Naruto games. Even Budokai did o.k on Wii.

Edit - I can't see a Naruto game perform worse than Unlimited Red did above.

Tripon

I think this also says that the DBZ fan base is also aging and needs to be more carefully managed than OP is in terms of platforms.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE NOVEMBER 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Oct 27 to Nov 30):

[ALL] Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (18 days) - 245.000
[ALL] Winning Eleven 2015 (18 days) - 230.000
[PS3+PSV] Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (18 days) - 85.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 65.000
[3DS] Pokemon OmegaRuby / AlphaSapphire (10 days) - 1.850.000
[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova (4 days) - 200.000
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold (4 days) - 85.000

Takao

Banned
While it's hard to predict what a Wii U version of those games would sell, didn't the Naruto Wii games published by Tomy on GCN do pretty decently in Japan? Those games were also well received in the West yet Ubi nor Namco ever bothered on Wii U with their current PS3/360 Naruto games. Even Budokai did o.k on Wii.

I don't think it's a good idea to compare the performance of games on Wii to their potential performance on Wii U, unless your point is to show that it's not a good idea.

Oh shit, Namco please localise this.

No publisher is going to look at Wii iterations as a prediction on how a WiiU game will do lol.

Secondly as I said near 90% of sales come from the West and the WiiU is not only selling at a snails pace but is also doing poorly in third party software sales. I'm sure Namco can clearly see the sales of OP:UWR.

crinale

A better question is why isn't Naruto on PS4 yet.

It all depends on what Bamco would use the system board for Tekken7. As for Tekken6 and Gundam series SYSTEM357 and 369 (PS3-compatible) system boards were used even though they have PC-based systems as well. If their new arcade system is PS4-based and not based on existing System ES1 (a PC-compatible system, and I know they are both X64 but still) then their support for PS4 should be a lock.

Orgen

PREDICTION LEAGUE NOVEMBER 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Oct 27 to Nov 30):

[ALL] Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (18 days) - 262.000
[ALL] Winning Eleven 2015 (18 days) - 215.000
[PS3+PSV] Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (18 days) - 94.000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 131.000
[3DS] Pokemon OmegaRuby / AlphaSapphire (10 days) - 1.968.000
[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova (4 days) - 186.000
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold (4 days) - 77.000

Considering they have only shipped 1.3 million 3DSs worldwide during first two quarters it's pretty weird if they still had so much stock left in west. Just how big overshipment that holiday season was last year.

well I suppose we'll find out soon enough given Nintendo's next report is in 4 days :p

Takao

Banned
It all depends on what Bamco would use the system board for Tekken7. As for Tekken6 and Gundam series SYSTEM357 and 369 (PS3-compatible) system boards were used even though they have PC-based systems as well. If their new arcade system is PS4-based and not based on existing System ES1 (a PC-compatible system, and I know they are both X64 but still) then their support for PS4 should be a lock.

I'm not sure what Naruto has to do with that since the games are outsourced to CC2 and don't see arcade releases. ;p

Takao

Banned
KsAC0my.jpg

kekekeke

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do think that game quality is unfortunately one element we don't have great barometers for in Japan.

Famitsu and Amazon user reviews both have notable flaws compared to having a horde of review outlets.

Takao

Banned
I'm sure it's a terrible game. Totally.

hey man, if that's the way you feel that's the way you feel but i didn't say that

I was going to ask if there was potential for some fallout after this, but looking at those sales figures ... lol. It doesn't seem like the game is bad, so much as to some it felt unneeded. Maybe this reception will encourage more companies to release append versions of the expansions as DLC/low cost retail. It's not a new concept but it's not a popular one either.

jeremy1456

wait am i getting this right, people think mh4g is bad based on amazon reviews?

I remember a lot of bad user reviews for MH3, MH3G, and MH4 on Amazon JP. I read about it here.

Point is, this platform switch for the franchise has caused a lot of more vocal warriors worldwide to get very, very vocal.

I remember a lot of bad user reviews for MH3, MH3G, and MH4 on Amazon JP. I read about it here.

Point is, this platform switch for the franchise has caused a lot of more vocal warriors worldwide to get very, very vocal.
since when did amazon reviews have legitimacy? i thought it was mainly trolls

and im not sure how its considered a platform switch when psp is last-gen and why would people still care when we're on the third iteration of the game on the 3ds?

Takao

Banned

There's now 700 reviews on Amazon. Do you really think the game's 2-star rating is just the result of bitter PlayStation owners? We are in 2014, MH on Nintendo isn't a shocker. You can look at the ratings for the other Nintendo entries: Tri, Tri G, 4. MH4G's worse than all of those.

Obviously a group of 700 people isn't exactly major when you're dealing with a game that sells millions, but it'll be interesting to see how things play out for future hunting expansions. Are consumers starting to get tired of these annual releases? Will append versions become more common place? Will Capcom be too busy counting their money to care?

Tripon

There's now 700 reviews on Amazon. Do you really think the game's 2-star rating is just the result of bitter PlayStation owners? We are in 2014, MH on Nintendo isn't a shocker.

You can look at the ratings for the other Nintendo entries: Tri, Tri G, 4. MH4G's worse than all of those.

Obviously a group of 700 people isn't exactly major when you're dealing with a game that sells millions, but it'll be interesting to see how things play out for future hunting expansions. Are consumers starting to burnout with these annual releases? Will append versions become more common place? Will Capcom be too busy counting their money to care?
How many reviews are from people who bought and played the game?

jeremy1456

since when did amazon reviews have legitimacy? i thought it was mainly trolls

and im not sure how its considered a platform switch when psp is last-gen and why would people still care when we're on the third iteration of the game on the 3ds?

People still care a great deal around these parts so I have to assume they do elsewhere.

Don't you remember when that Monster Hunter Frontier game was announced for Vita? So many people here had reverse meltdowns until they realized what it was.

BriBri

I remember the Amazon reviews for when Professor Layton did the platform switch:
It is unacceptable that this new layton game is only available for NDS3D, I refuse to go out and buy a new console to be able to pay a new layton game or any other game that is only available for the 3d model DS. Why is it not available/compatiable for the older models? It this a way to force people to go out and buy a new console, if so I think it is disgusting!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To be clear my comment was not about Monster Hunter in particular, but more about lacking a good quality barometer for games in general since Amazon reviews are mostly useless and Famitsu is definitely useless.

I do feel quality is something that affects sales.

I thought the digital stores (PSN? eShop?) had a rating system that required purchase before rating, but could be wrong. Although the sample may not be representative, since it's purely digital purchasers.

This reminds me the then 2-star rated Dragon Quest IX, that eventually became the most successful entry of the series ever. Now it's sitting on 3 stars, so not much better.

hey man, if that's the way you feel that's the way you feel but i didn't say that.

You posted a meme picture with Amazon reviews of the game and wrote "kekekeke".

To be clear my comment was not about Monster Hunter in particular, but more about lacking a good quality barometer for games in general since Amazon reviews are mostly useless and Famitsu is definitely useless.

I do feel quality is something that affects sales.

Quality affects sales, through word-of-mouth; examples are Demon's Souls (positively affected) and JoJo's Bizzarre Adventures: All Star Battle (negatively affected). I do feel that niche games tend to be affected more by positive word-of-mouth, since they have wider margins of improvement, while popular games tend to be more affected by negative word-of-mouth.

In any case, a game that Takao clearly likes to point out as terrible, i.e. Attack on Titan, received strong word-of-mouth and went to sell 300k, starting from about 90k units in the first week, so who knows.

I thought the digital stores (PSN? eShop?) had a rating system that required purchase before rating, but could be wrong. Although the sample may not be representative, since it's purely digital purchasers.

On the eShop, you can also rate a physical game; the requirement is to play for at least one hour.

Last 2 days on comgnet

Pokemon Omega Ruby - 543 / 550 (+7)

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 480pt / 482 (+2)

Yokai Watch 2.5 - 305pt / 368 (+63)

People still care a great deal around these parts so I have to assume they do elsewhere.

Don't you remember when that Monster Hunter Frontier game was announced for Vita? So many people here had reverse meltdowns until they realized what it was.
nah can't say i remember that, i dont read every mc thread, i just don't think it's a good idea to take amazon reviews seriously

Yokai Watch soundtrack on 17 December with 3 CDs and a DVD.
L5 going full force.

Last 2 days on comgnet

Pokemon Omega Ruby - 543 / 550 (+7)

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 480pt / 482 (+2)

Yokai Watch 2.5 - 305pt / 368 (+63)

YW is amazing. It will be really interesting to see how it will perform during holidays, being the first Christmas for this commercial phenomenon; and how it will affect 3DS' sales.

hiska-kun

No stock problems for New 3DS and any other game at any shop I visited in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro.
Finally normalization?

Scum

NCL's Earnings Meeting is on Wednesday right? I wonder if Iwata will finally be ejected from his seat...?

Top Bottom