• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2014 (Oct 13 - Oct 19)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NCL's Earnings Meeting is on Wednesday right? I wonder if Iwata will finally be ejected from his seat...?

Nintendo's stock has since lost the ground it made up and is back near its 52 week low, but this also has the side effect of meaning people who were upset with them may have just left, leaving primarily people who are okay with their strategy.

They're not a gigantic company so they don't necessarily have to deal with people who have lots of leverage and are sticking around no matter what.

We'll find out how people feel based on how angry the analyst questions are.

extralite

To be clear my comment was not about Monster Hunter in particular, but more about lacking a good quality barometer for games in general since Amazon reviews are mostly useless and Famitsu is definitely useless.

I do feel quality is something that affects sales.
Why do you think Famitsu is more useless than Amazon reviews? The latter are much more volatile with people ignoring flaws and handing out 5 stars or 1 staring a game for one or two flaws that break the game for them.

Famitsu may have a tendency to overscore out of politeness but they still give higher scores to good games and lower scores to bad games. I think people overrate the influence of advertisement money on scores too, it is something that will affect any publication that relies on ads, not just Famitsu. It is also negligable in most cases.

KsAC0my.jpg

kekekeke

most of the complaints are about the big difficulty spike in G rank apparently. How you bounce off of monsters with purple sharpness and how its 2nd gen MH unfair with monsters one shotting you

most of the complaints are about the big difficulty spike in G rank apparently. How you bounce off of monsters with purple sharpness and how its 2nd gen MH unfair with monsters one shotting you
MH veterans were generally dissatisfied with the lower difficulty in gen 3 so that's a plus for hardcore fans. There were also complaints about the lack of additional content compared to the base game, which seems kinda weird since the game is pretty par for the course as far as G versions go.

If the popular complaints end up being legitimate and capcom acts on them for subsequent games then it'll be a net prius for the series imo

Scum

Nintendo's stock has since lost the ground it made up and is back near its 52 week low, but this also has the side effect of meaning people who were upset with them may have just left, leaving primarily people who are okay with their strategy.

They're not a gigantic company so they don't necessarily have to deal with people who have lots of leverage and are sticking around no matter what.

We'll find out how people feel based on how angry the analyst questions are.

Had this feeling (that many investors just up and went) ever since Iwata got a slightly higher rating and Miyamoto "lost his way." The troublemakers have just buggered off and the old school who believe are still holding on for something, whatever that is...

Well, should be fun on Wednesday. I'd love to hear about MiiOS or NintenDOS. :p
Hopefully we get something resembling sense from Iwata or the angry mob will do more than sharper pitchforks.

Expecting anything off note, Nirolak?

NCL's Earnings Meeting is on Wednesday right? I wonder if Iwata will finally be ejected from his seat...?

I don't think there's any mechanism by which that could happen halfway through the fiscal year, though Nirolak or Aquamarine would probably know better.

Had this feeling (that many investors just up and went) ever since Iwata got a slightly higher rating and Miyamoto "lost his way." The troublemakers have just buggered off and the old school who believe are still holding on for something, whatever that is...

Well, should be fun on Wednesday. I'd love to hear about MiiOS or NintenDOS. :p
Hopefully we get something resembling sense from Iwata or the angry mob will do more than sharper pitchforks.

Expecting anything off note, Nirolak?

Given that Iwata's numbers actually ticked up despite NCL's godawful year, and that he's already asked shareholders to give him three years to turn the company around (QOL doesn't launch until the FY ending in March 2016, but it's not supposed to be a major contributor to NCL's profits until the following FY, ending in March 2017), I don't think there will be any change in management until/unless it becomes clear that the new hardware is a failure, and possibly not even then.

If nothing else, though, there's a good chance we'll get some actual details on QOL this week, as Iwata promised more info before the end of the calendar year. I see little chance it can succeed in the current market, but I'm at least curious.

i'm more interested in how the YW mania will affect Pokemon sales
i think it will affect it more positively than negatively, but in the end it'll balance out, the games are similar, but they're different enough to appeal to different audiences. i think the biggest factor is the fact that games are so social these days, which means people are more likely to spend more time on their favorite games, but how many people can play only 1 game for months and not bother with anything else? the games being released pretty close together could also affect it, but we've seen how big major games releasing in a close period still sell well, and they create synergy to help each other's sales rather than eating each other's due to increased hardware sales.

Pokemon Omega Ruby - 550 / 563 (+13)

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 482 / 497 (+15)

Yokai Watch 2.5 - 368 / 398 (+30)

Weekend total :

OR : +20
AS : +17
YW2.5 : +93

PREDICTION LEAGUE NOVEMBER 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Oct 27 to Nov 30):
[ALL] Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (18 days) - 200,000
[ALL] Winning Eleven 2015 (18 days) - 210,000
[PS3+PSV] Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (18 days) - 75,000
[WIU] Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (18 days) - 65,000
[3DS] Pokemon OmegaRuby / AlphaSapphire (10 days) - 1,750,000
[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova (4 days) - 185,000
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold (4 days) - 80,000

Weekend total :

Crazy how fast YW2.5 grows and crazy how consistent Pokémon ORAS is, considering that they enter Comgnet preorders some weeks ago.

zeromcd73

Its going to feb-march I bet. It seems like every PS4 game announced at TGS is getting released then (except Persona 5 ;__; )
It's coming in Spring so I doubt it unless they shove it in the last week of March. But it seems DQHeroes is coming in March despite a Spring release date, so who knows. We should find out the release date for that tomorrow, too :)

Even if FFXV does come out in December next year, Feb/March has so many games for PS4 I hope Sony at least gives it a tiny price-cut. Maybe something like $50 cut in Feb/March and another $50 drop in December with FFXV (if it happens).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Weekend total :

Google translate has Alpha Sapphire first, not Omega Ruby. Are you sure you got that right Moor? One of the posters also mentioned it seemed flipped.

zeromcd73

Google translate has Alpha Sapphire first, not Omega Ruby. Are you sure you got that right Moor? One of the posters also mentioned it seemed flipped.
[3DS]ポケットモンスター アルファサファイア - 563pt
[3DS]ポケットモンスター オメガルビー - 497pt

I just checked and you're correct. Sapphire is first.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Smash Wii U seems to be showing a bit more life after this past weekend.

[WiiU] Super Smash Bros for WiiU - 35pt
[WiiU] Super Smash Bros for WiiU GameCube controller connected tap set - 24pt (new)

Also comgnet sales seem nice for once:

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 285Pt
[PS3] Psycho Break (PS3) - 208Pt
[PS3] play-by-play Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 - 161Pt
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Yunaitia - 125pt
[PS4] Psycho Break (PS4) - 118Pt
[Vita] play-by-play Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 - 77Pt
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 46Pt

It's coming in Spring so I doubt it unless they shove it in the last week of March. But it seems DQHeroes is coming in March despite a Spring release date, so who knows. We should find out the release date for that tomorrow, too :)

Even if FFXV does come out in December next year, Feb/March has so many games for PS4 I hope Sony at least gives it a tiny price-cut. Maybe something like $50 cut in Feb/March and another $50 drop in December with FFXV (if it happens).
only way i see sony giving it a price cut is if its japan exclusive, definitely not two price cuts in a year though

I don't know...it will be 2 years for PS4 on the market at that stage, so I can see a revision. It all depends, however, on the availability of RAM modules and how fast they can shrink that APU.
its selling fine without games worldwide, once the games hit its gonna stabilize sales, they can easily save the revision for another year

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why do you think Famitsu is more useless than Amazon reviews? The latter are much more volatile with people ignoring flaws and handing out 5 stars or 1 staring a game for one or two flaws that break the game for them.

Famitsu may have a tendency to overscore out of politeness but they still give higher scores to good games and lower scores to bad games. I think people overrate the influence of advertisement money on scores too, it is something that will affect any publication that relies on ads, not just Famitsu. It is also negligable in most cases.
Amazon reviews at least sometimes have more than two sentences of text explaining their opinion.

tuffy

Those players should know better than anyone that although you must hit it until it dies, it is equally important to not get hit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, PS4 is packed in February - March. Maybe lots of multi releases, but still packed. That period will be very important for PS4's future in Japan.

For comparison...

Vita's 2013 March
To Relevancy

Week 08 - 11,669
Week 09 - 60,561 [Price cute, Senran Kagura, Phantasy Star Online 2]
Week 10 - 61,152 [Soul Sacrifice, Tales of Hears]
Week 11 - 36,431
Week 12 - 37,883 [One Piece Musou 2, and more]
Week 13 - 33,605 [Muramasa]
Week 14 - 19,879

Price cut announced on Feb 18 (Week 8), effective on Feb 28 (Week 09).

zeromcd73

For comparison...

Vita's 2013 March
To Relevancy

Week 08 - 11,669
Week 09 - 60,561 [Price cute, Senran Kagura]
Week 10 - 61,152 [Soul Sacrifice, Tales of Hears]
Week 11 - 36,431
Week 12 - 37,883 [One Piece Musou 2, and more]
Week 13 - 33,605 [Muramasa]
Week 14 - 19,879

Price cut announced on Feb 18 (Week 8), effective on Feb 28 (Week 09).
Don't forget Week 09 Phantasy Star Online 2 with the price cut and Kagura.

zeromcd73

The only week left for Dragon Quest Heroes is March 5th.

Tomorrow is the event, right?
17 hours to go:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv196143590

Unlike the other live streams this week (Yakuza,GE2), this is the only live stream that PlaystationJP has actually tweeted and they said there would be a special announcement.

I wonder if they've got something else planned for PS4 (DQX?), or just PlayStation getting extremely excited again of the prospects of the IP being on their systems even if it is just a spin-off.

zeromcd73

Dragon Quest Heroes coming February 26.

PS4 = 60fps
PS3 = 30fps

Wasn't expecting it that early lol. Isn't Feb 26 still Winter?

zeromcd73

Dragon Quest Limited edition PS4 releasing December 11. A download code for DQHeroes comes with it and you will be able to get to play it a day earlier than the retail release. You also get the DQ3 Protag's clothes for your characters to wear.

Oh, and you get a limited edition background theme for your PS4.

So this was what Sony was saying that would get the Japanese to buy a PS4 during the holidays. I thought they meant an actual game >.>

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Does anyone have the PS4 game release list for 2015? Seems like Feb & March are packed, and the rest is a wasteland so far? Seems like those months will start telling us the PS4's fate in Japan.

zeromcd73

Does anyone have the PS4 game release list for 2015? Seems like Feb & March are packed, and the rest is a wasteland so far?

01/22  Lego Marvel Super Heroes
01/22  Far Cry4
01/29  Bladestorm
02/05  Bloodborne
02/05  Dragon Ball XenoVerse
02/19  God Eater 2 Rage Burst
02/19  Dead or Alive 5 LR
02/20  The Order1886
02/26  Dragon Quest Heroes
02/26  The Witcher 3
02/??  Earth Defence Force 4.1
03/12  Yakuza 0 
03/19  Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (+FF15 demo)
03/26  Disgaea5
03/26  Senran Kagura Estival Versus

Dragon Quest Limited edition PS4 releasing December 11. A download code for DQHeroes comes with it and you will be able to get to play it a day earlier than the retail release. You also get the DQ3 Protag's clothes for your characters to wear.

So this was what Sony was saying that would get the Japanese to buy a PS4 during the holidays. I thought they meant an actual game >.>

So the DQ LE console is not releasing with the game 0_0....has this ever happened before.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Hopefully, Sony doesn't limit its potential by releasing it only on its online store.

Top Bottom