• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2012 (Oct 22 - Oct 28)

Hobby

Square Enix's financial results are out. Hope my conversion's right, but looks like they sustained a 68.5 million USD loss.

Dragon Quest X registered number of paying users continues to grow. Smartphone/PC games, profit-wise, are somewhat sluggish due to increased development costs and longer development times, though browser games like Sengoku Ixa and the Mobage title Final Fantasy Brigade have maintained an increase in yield. Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland moved a promising number of units, but handheld/console games as a whole did not meet expectations.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/jpn/news/pdf/13q2tanshin.pdf

Edit: And here's Microsoft's holiday pack, coming 11/15 for 24,800 yen. Includes Kinect Adventure and Kinect Disneyland, 4 GB base unit.

p84ak.jpg

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/556/556529/

Pooya

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2012/2nd/explanation_2012_2nd_03.pdf
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

Capcom Q/A

Overseas user reviews have not been very positive about "Resident Evil 6". What is your strategy for strengthening the brands outside Japan?

"Resident Evil 6" continues to generate repeat sales in Japan and overseas. Furthermore, initial shipments set a new record for a Capcom title. So this game has been successful to some degree. We therefore believe it is too early to reach a conclusion about how users view this game. We always listen carefully to the feedback from users and use this information when developing games.

Please explain your revision of the sales plan for "Resident Evil 6" and your confidence about reaching the target.

Our revision of the sales volume is based on a comprehensive decision that reflects a variety of factors and risks at this time. We believe that prospects are good for reaching our goal of 6 million units. We are confident because of the approaching overseas Christmas and New Year selling season, past sales of titles in this series, and for other reasons.

looks like they are done with outsourcing?

Regarding the allocation of your development resources, how many developers do you have now and what are your plans for the future?

As of September 30, 2012, we had about 1,500 game developers. Regarding our priorities, we will continue to allocate people to content development in the Home Video Game sector while recruiting and training more people to create games in our Mobile Contents and PC Online Game sectors.

Our goal is to increase the number of developers by 1,000 over the next 10 years. We want to further improve the quality of our games by maintaining an internal game development team.

If you increase the number of game developers to 2,500, about how much will you invest in development activities?

The purpose of increasing our game developer team is to create a larger percentage of our games internally. Therefore, we believe that there will be no significant change in total development expenditures mainly because we will be shifting outsourced operations to our own workforce

What is your strategy for "Monster Hunter 4"?

Naturally, we want sales volume to be higher than for the previous title in this series. In addition, we want to enlarge the worldview of "Monster Hunter" by using initiatives other than games in order to build even stronger relationships with current user segments.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
DQX breaks through 400k paying players. Not specified whether this is active players or total number of players that have paid.

https://twitter.com/V_Jump/status/265736537646452736

If this is the number of subscribers that confirmed the subscription after the one month free period, it is a very good number imho (and the game is still in the top 50 chart, if I remember correctly, also if in a low position)

Well I guess I was wrong, retention rate is really high. Didn't it sell 500k?

should be around 600K

What is your strategy for "Monster Hunter 4"?

Naturally, we want sales volume to be higher than for the previous title in this series. In addition, we want to enlarge the worldview of "Monster Hunter" by using initiatives other than games in order to build even stronger relationships with current user segments.

I did say they were looking to increase sales on the 3DS. They'll accept matching previous sales; but theres a big opportunity to go well above previous MH sales.

There's no chance in hell of going over 4.8 million with MH4. Maybe with MH5 though.I have become more optimistic on what I expect it to sell in the end and think it can definitely go over 4 million when its all said and done.

There's no chance in hell of going over 4.8 million with MH4. Maybe with MH5 though.I have become more optimistic on what I expect it to sell in the end and think it can definitely go over 4 million when its all said and done.

3DS userbase will be 10m+ by the time it goes out. PSP was under 15m the week it went out.
Thats not a huge difference.

Its not launching during New Year like 3P so it won't break LTD in a few weeks but MH gets its sales from a big launch, a big holiday and long legs. Just like with 3G.

MH4 is going to sell strongly throughout 2013; high points being launch month, maybe a Golden Week boost and New Year.

I don't see how it beating 3P's LTD is by any means a 'no chance in hell'. At all.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
3DS userbase will be 10m+ by the time it goes out. PSP was under 15m the week it went out.
Thats not a huge difference.

Its not launching during New Year like 3P so it won't break LTD in a few weeks but MH gets its sales from a big launch, a big holiday and long legs. Just like with 3G.

MH4 is going to sell strongly throughout 2013; high points being launch month, maybe a Golden Week boost and New Year.

I don't see how it beating 3P's LTD is by any means a 'no chance in hell'. At all.

Well, I think that the single basic Japanese SKU of MH4 will not be able to reach 4 million units, honestly.
MHP3 imho is something exceptional as some DS games back in the days in Japan.

If you consider possible re-prints, budget re-releases or western versions, it could reach the same LTD of MHP3, maybe.

That's just my opinion, of course.

It would be extremely difficult for MH4 to hit 4 million in Japan, I think. MHP3 had a lot of MH games slowly building up to its monster sales and also a bigger userbase in the PSP. I think 2.5 -3 million is probably more realistic for MH4.

MH4 is going to heavily outsell MH3G already.

Sorry, I meant MH4, not MH3G, I mistyped :p

My point was that MH4G could easily outsell MH4 if for nothing else because of the incrementally bigger userbase, if sales of the PSP installations are anything to go by.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It would be extremely difficult for MH4 to hit 4 million in Japan, I think. MHP3 had a lot of MH games slowly building up to its monster sales and also a bigger userbase in the PSP. I think 2.5 -3 million is probably more realistic for MH4.

2.5-3 million for MH4 would be a disaster considering 3G will come close to 2 million after the bundles and budget releases.

I think the range is either 3M - 4M, anything above or below would be surprising, but anything below 3M would be more surprising considering 3G is already selling like a beast. Really though the LTD numbers don't matter much, Capcom is gonna have a MH game selling on the 3DS throughout its whole lifetime, whether it'd be MH4, MH5, MH6 etc etc. All they wanted was a safe home for the series to sell to and they've found it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Posted in Liberation Maiden thread but I think here is more appropriate:

Level 5 is releasing all the Guild01 titles in eShop in Japan. Second life for all!

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/0...-of-guild-01-as-3ds-eshop-downloads-in-japan/

With about $10 each, so that's the price of the full game if you want all 4.

Seems like NIntendo released a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 3DS demo, which allows save data to be transfared into the retail game

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Whoa, two smart moves in one day for the 3DS.
Btw, looking forward for Crimson Shroud PAL next month, I'll be glad to discover also Guild02 soon.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Whoa, two smart moves in one day for the 3DS.
Btw, looking forward for Crimson Shroud PAL next month, I'll be glad to discover also Guild02 soon.

There's also the surprise of seeing Naruto SD coming in Europe, thanks to OFLC classification XD

vareon

That's how it should've been from the beginning.

Looking forward to Guild 02.

There's an advantage in combining the game into one package, though. It allows games from lesser-known creators to have a chance of being played at all. Like that weaponsmithing game that's said to be actually good.

I hope Guild 01 will find success in West. Maybe they ll bring Guild 02, too (which looks more interesting than the first one)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope Guild 01 will find success in West. Maybe they ll bring Guild 02, too (which looks more interesting than the first one)

How can you say that? I tought that they just revealed the name of the collection (Guild02) without details...am I wrong?

How can you say that? I tought that they just revealed the name of the collection (Guild02) without details...am I wrong?

No there s details ! One of the game is made by Inafune, you re playing a shrunk tank, fighting with insects. One of the game is made by a Chunsoft guy, where you play a man who woke up in darkness, and doesnt remember anything. The Third is about monsters appearing in a city, and the last one is still secret.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No there s details ! One of the game is made by Inafune, you re playing a shrunk tank, fighting with insects. One of the game is made by a Chunsoft guy, where you play a man who woke up in darkness, and doesnt remember anything. The Third is about monsters appearing in a city, and the last one is still secret.

Oh, man...you are right, now I REMEMBER!!!
I want it on the eshop >_<

Top Bottom