• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Thorgal

I still don't see why we are Calling the console market in japan possibly dead simply based on the Wii U's performance.

The Wii U launched during the holidays with 3 games as their major launch line up : ZombieU, NSMBU and Nintendoland.

Then for the next 6 months almost nothing was released for it.
Combine that with all the confusion that calling it the Wii U in the first place brought and their launch games not showing anything that clearly could not be done on the Wii.

The Wii U is in its current predicament through bad ideas and bad management by Nintendo. nothing more,nothing less.

I look to the weekly sales chart and Handhelds/smartphones are king in japan .
Of that there is no doubt.

However ,if currently every Japanese person is jumping of the console train and boarding the handheld one ,one would expect to see All new PS3 game releases to bomb left and right because nobody cares .But that is not happening here.

Despite the fact its harware sales have been low for months now (Not entirely unexpected after a 8 year turbulent life) Yet PS3 software is still pulling in decent numbers .

While i do not doubt that Smartphones have taken a nice chunk out of it ,i find that calling the console market dead because of the Failing's of one very badly thought out system to be bit disingenuous.

Sales goals from Sinobi:
  • Battlefield 4: 330k (PS3) 20k (360)
  • Onechanbara Z Kagura: 50k (PS3)
  • Akiba's Trip 2: 100k (Vita) 50k (PS3)
  • Exstetra: 60k (Vita) 20k (3DS)
  • J Legend Retsuden: 50k (3DS)
  • Metal Max 4: 20k (Limited Ed.) 50k (Normal Ed.) (3DS)
  • Medabots Dual: 140k (3DS)
  • Seisou no Amazones: 20k (3DS)
  • God Eater 2: 400k (Vita) 200k (PS3)
  • COD Ghosts: 300k (PS3) 30k (360) 25k (WiiU)
  • Winning Eleven 2014: 370k (PS3) 70k (PSP) 70k (3DS)
You mean PSP.

Sales goals from Sinobi:
  • Battlefield 4: 330k (PS3) 20k (360)
  • Onechanbara Z Kagura: 50k (PS3)
  • Akiba's Trip 2: 100k (Vita) 50k (PS3)
  • Exstetra: 60k (Vita) 20k (3DS)
  • J Legend Retsuden: 50k (3DS)
  • Metal Max 4: 20k (Limited Ed.) 50k (Normal Ed.) (3DS)
  • Medabots Dual: 140k (3DS)
  • Seisou no Amazones: 20k (3DS)
  • God Eater 2: 400k (Vita) 200k (PS3)
  • COD Ghosts: 300k (PS3) 30k (360) 25k (WiiU)
  • Winning Eleven 2014: 370k (PS3) 70k (PSP) 70k (3DS)

Are these goals just for the first week or another period of time? I would assume FW.

are you off your rocker? you understand how many 360's there are compared to wiiu's right?

Did you wander into the wrong thread where the Wii U isn't only 500k behind the 360 and shouldn't actually get much closer this holiday and have a much more active userbase than the dead 360? If not, than it certainly is sad how low the expectations are for Wii U with 3rd parties.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was thinking that but others seemed a bit too low, like Exstetra and Amazoness. GE2 as well.

With God Eater 2 that would be in line with the other entries:

God Eater: 617,828 LTD
God Eater Burst: 436,158 LTD
God Eater 2: 400k (Vita) 200k (PS3) [I assume they mean PSP]

Exstetra and (especially) Amazoness just have rather low expectations.

I still don't see why we are Calling the console market in japan possibly dead simply based on the Wii U's performance.

The Wii U launched during the holidays with 3 games as their major launch line up : ZombieU, NSMBU and Nintendoland.

Then for the next 6 months almost nothing was released for it.
Combine that with all the confusion that calling it the Wii U in the first place brought and their launch games not showing anything that clearly could not be done on the Wii.

The Wii U is in its current predicament through bad ideas and bad management by Nintendo. nothing more,nothing less.

I look to the weekly sales chart and Handhelds/smartphones are king in japan .
Of that there is no doubt.

However ,if currently every Japanese person is jumping of the console train and boarding the handheld one ,one would expect to see All new PS3 game releases to bomb left and right because nobody cares .But that is not happening here.

Despite the fact its harware sales have been low for months now (Not entirely unexpected after a 8 year turbulent life) Yet PS3 software is still pulling in decent numbers .

While i do not doubt that Smartphones have taken a nice chunk out of it ,i find that calling the console market dead because of the Failing's of one very badly thought out system to be bit disingenuous.

I was talking about third-party developers. The Wii U has been pretty much ignored by Japanese third-party developers except for the times when Nintendo strikes a deal with companies (Sega with Sonic and Yakuza, Namco Bandai with Smash Bros. and Taiko no Tatsujin, Atlus with SMT x Fire Emblem, Platinum with Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, etc.)

So I could have better rephrased it to the following:

Because the Wii U and Xbox One (presumably) have failed (in terms of Japanese third-party support), will the companies that currently support PS3 or PS3 / Vita cross-releases transition over to the PS4 in the future? Or is the PS4 trying to fill a need that doesn't exist? Will publishers continue to be content with the PS3 / Vita / 3DS / Mobile ecosystems?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This Friday is gonna be fun. Oh wait... Japan tier 4 ops.

That the gen 8 consoles consist of one heavily struggling console, one console that's dead before it even launches, and one console that really doesn't have that much going for it either pretty much cements the state of console gaming in Japan.

A few titles can still put up respectable numbers, but we're at the point where a Japanese company is treating their home market as second rate.

That the gen 8 consoles consist of one heavily struggling console, one console that's dead before it even launches, and one console that really doesn't have that much going for it either pretty much cements the state of console gaming in Japan.

A few titles can still put up respectable numbers, but we're at the point where a Japanese company is treating their home market as second rate.

clearly, Japan is just embracing the superior device

inb4 SmokyDave says smartphones

MilkBeard

Wow, huge bump for WiiU because of casual party games?

..I don't get it, but good for WiiU. Finally got a bump, things were getting abysmal.

Haines

Banned
Did you wander into the wrong thread where the Wii U isn't only 500k behind the 360 and shouldn't actually get much closer this holiday and have a much more active userbase than the dead 360? If not, than it certainly is sad how low the expectations are for Wii U with 3rd parties.

Ok, what?

The 360 user base is dead and went to the PS3? Is that what you are saying?

Ok, what?

No, what I'm saying is that Wii U's expectations are pathetically low for Wii U which is nothing new, but no I did not expect at this point that there would even be the chance that 360 multiplatform releases would sell better than on Wii U. But yes the 360 is declining.

donny2112

The 360 user base is dead and went to the PS3?

Probably should take the time to read this conversation deeper, but just taking this statement on its face value, yes, that's a fair assessment. Compare 360 portion of multi-plat games from earlier in the gen to lately, and it should show declining results pretty clearly, along with an absolute drop in sequel launch sales on the 360 itself. Those together indicate the 360 buying userbase is declining, and with PS3's increases, seems a good portion of them are going to PS3 in Japan.

Edit:
but no I did not expect at this point that there would even be the chance that 360 multiplatform releases would sell better than on Wii U.

Read more of the convo now. This is Call of Duty. 360 should still outsell Wii U for that in Japan, because Wii U's third-party buying audience is almost non-existent, and it's Call of Duty on 360. The two got married a long time ago.

While not an exact comparison, it's similar to how Madden 08 on Xbox in the U.S. still sold more in its launch month almost two years after 360 came out than Wii ever sold for Madden in a launch month. Unless somebody steps up to change that demographic of Nintendo console buyers, would still expect even a declining 360 to sell more Call of Duty in Japan than Wii U, at this point. Can readdress next year, if Activision still sees fit to bring Call of Duty to Wii U in Japan again.

AOC83

Banned
Ok, what?

The WiiU userbase should be much much bigger than the 360 userbase by now. That thing is 8 years on the market and only sold a few hundred thousand units extra so far. Nobody knows how many of them are still working until today.

hiska-kun

More irrelevant list:

Famitsu Most Wanted:

01./01. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) {21.11.2013} – 959 votes
02./05. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo) {26.12.2013} – 824 votes
03./03. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix) {TBA} – 782 votes
04./06. [PS3] Shin Gundam Musou (Namco Bandai) {19.12.2013} – 700 votes
05./04. [PSV] God Eater 2 (Namco Bandai) {14.11.2013} – 687 votes
06./02. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo) {12.12.2013} -676 votes
07./07. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix) {TBA} – 509 votes
08./08. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) {2014} – 480 votes
09./09. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (Square Enix) {26.12.2013} – 474 votes
10./10. [PS3] Drakengard 3 (Square Enix) {19.12.2013} – 466 votes

11./12. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {05.12.2013} – 432 votes
12./17. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain (Konami) {TBA} – 411 votes
13./11. [PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 (Capcom) {23.01.2014} – 376 votes
14./00. [WIU] Super Smash Bros Wii U (Nintendo) {TBA} – 321 votes
15./16. [PS3] Phsyco Break (Bethesda Softworks) {2014} – 311 votes
16./14. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 (Koei Tecmo) {20.03.2014} – 300 votes
17./24. [PS3] Yakuza: Restoration (Sega) {22.02.2014} – 299 votes
18./23. [PS3] The Last Remnant (Square Enix) {TBA} – 281 votes
19./13. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 (Sega) {28.11.2013} – 262 votes
20./26. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo) {21.11.2013} – 230 votes

21./25. [3DS] Bravely Default: For The Sequel (Square Enix) {05.12.2013} – 223 votes
22./19. [PS4] Yakuza: Restoration (Sega) {22.02.2014} – 199 votes
23./29. [3DS] Super Smash Bros 3DS (Nintendo) {TBA} – 189 votes
24./00. [PS3] The Last Guardian (Sony Computer Entertainment) {TBA} – 175 votes
25./28. [PSV] Final Fantasy X HD (Square Enix) {26.12.2013} – 173 votes
26./00. [PS3] Watch Dogs (Ubi Soft) {TBA} – 172 votes
27./00. [PSP] God Eater 2 (Namco Bandai) {14.11.2013} – 171 votes
28./22. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo) {28.11.2013} – 164 votes
29./21. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Tsunagari Shintenchi (Marvelous AQL) {xx.02.2014} – 162 votes
30./00. [PSV] Freedom Wars (Sony Computer Entertainment) {TBA} – 161 votes

Most desired game that is released from november 16th until the 30th.

01. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo) {21.11.2013} – 215 votes
02. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 (Sega) {28.11.2013} – 138 votes
03. [PS3] [360] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) {21.11.2013} – 135 votes
04. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo) {28.11.2013} – 116 votes
05. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version (Namco Bandai) {21.11.2013} – 91 votes

Darryl

Banned
maybe it won the first poll through brute force (being the most recognizable) while the second list is closer to reality

jwhit28

I don't know what to think about A Link Between Worlds sales wise. It's a hard title to compare to other 3DS success stories in a series that's in a sales rut.

wrowa

Is Last Remnant PS3 some kind of running joke among Famitsu readers or are there still some people left who after all these years are hoping for a PS3 release? It feels so bizarre to see it in the Most Wanted each and every week.

Soriku

Is Last Remnant PS3 some kind of running joke among Famitsu readers or are there still some people left who after all these years are hoping for a PS3 release? It feels so bizarre to see it in the Most Wanted each and every week.

I still want it.

I don't know what to think about A Link Between Worlds sales wise. It's a hard title to compare to other 3DS success stories in a series that's in a sales rut.

That hasn't been true for the handheld entries. Ocarina of Time 3DS is one of those success stories you mention and even Spirit Tracks was a solid seller, despite the overshipping.

SE should do it. I would buy it.

jwhit28

That hasn't been true for the handheld entries. Ocarina of Time 3DS is one of those success stories you mention and even Spirit Tracks was a solid seller, despite the overshipping.

Oh, well that's good news. I hope it's one of those pleasant surprises like Luigi's Mansion 2 or Fire Emblem Awakening.

Thorgal

I was talking about third-party developers. The Wii U has been pretty much ignored by Japanese third-party developers except for the times when Nintendo strikes a deal with companies (Sega with Sonic and Yakuza, Namco Bandai with Smash Bros. and Taiko no Tatsujin, Atlus with SMT x Fire Emblem, Platinum with Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, etc.)

So I could have better rephrased it to the following:

Because the Wii U and Xbox One (presumably) have failed (in terms of Japanese third-party support), will the companies that currently support PS3 or PS3 / Vita cross-releases transition over to the PS4 in the future? Or is the PS4 trying to fill a need that doesn't exist? Will publishers continue to be content with the PS3 / Vita / 3DS / Mobile ecosystems?

To find that answer i would like to ask a question back .
Why does Wii U have no third party support ?

Did Nintendo not contact anyone and thought Like Sony with Vita That Devs would make Games for it regardless ?

Did the 3DS suck up all the third party support from Wii U And devs not bothering with it as The Handheld was "Good enough " for them And did not want to bother with the Wii U ?

Did they ask For dev support and got as response something along the lines of "Screw consoles .we only work on phones now ?

The answer to that question is part of the answer of whether PS4 gets third party support . i feel .

Xbox not getting third party support apart from the big publishers would most likely be because they have little to none brand recognition over there and because they have PS4 that even at its worst will easily outsell the One.

My personal answer currently : eventually .yes they will move over .

The game is garbage, have you played it yet? I usually don't abandon games half way because shit costs money, but TLR is just unbearable.

I have been playing the game on my PC recently and i must say i quite like it .
The battle system takes some getting used to but overall i am having fun .

What did you dislike about it ?

On another note :

with Vita TV soon to be out Have we any Preorder reports ?
do we expect to see lines ?

And lastly . anyone daring to make a prediction ?

Where should we lay the line to call it a success ?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2013.11.14}

[3DS] Daigasso! Band Brothers P <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Medarot Dual: Kabuto Ver. / Kuwagata Ver. <RPG> (Rocket Company) (¥6.090)
[3DS] Model Oshare Audition: Dream Girl <SLG> (Alchemist) (¥5.980)
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) (¥4.980)
[3DS] Seisou no Amazones <RPG> (Arc System Works) (¥6.090)
[3DS] Jewel Pet: Cafe de Mahou no Cooking! <ACT> (FuRyu) (¥5.229)
[3DS] Dora-Chie: Mini-Dora Ongakutai to 7-tsu no Chie <EDU> (Shogakukan) (¥4.800)

[PSV] PlayStation Vita TV # <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥9.954)
[PSV] PlayStation Vita TV [Value Pack] <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥14.994)
[PSV] God Eater 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980)
[PSV] God Eater 2 [PlayStation Vita × God Eater 2 Fenrir Edition] <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥25.960)
[PSV] Demon Gaze (PlayStation Vita the Best) <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) (¥3.990)

[PSP] God Eater 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980)
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) (¥3.980)
[PSP] Shinigami Shogyou: Kaidan Romance # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.300)
[PSP] Shinigami Shogyou: Kaidan Romance [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥8.925)
[PSP] Hyakki Yagyou & Hyaku Monogataru: Twin Pack <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥8.925)
[PSP] Arcana Famiglia 2 # <ADV> (C-Territory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Arcana Famiglia 2 [Limited Edition Special Bundle] <ADV> (C-Territory) (¥8.190)

[WIU] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)

[PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) (¥7.980)

[360] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[360] Deadfall Adventures <ADV> (Intergrow) (¥7.140)

Kysen

GE2 costs the same on Vita and on PSP? Why would anyone buy the inferior version. Anyway this is my most anticipated release this year, even more so than my PS4 preorder. Does anyone know when they are offering the sound track?

L Thammy

From what I've seen of these Famitsu Most Wanted lists, the games that are coming out immediately are overrepresented. Since they're right around the corner they're on everyone's minds. What's more noteworthy are the things that are far off but still show good numbers, like how Monster Hunter 4 hogged the top spot since its announcement.

In this case, Lightning Returns and God Eater are probably what you should ignore, though they'll be doing pretty big numbers anyway. (Perhaps the latter more than the former, heh.)

Final Fantasy XV being so high is a good sign. I'm a little surprised that Smash Bros for Wii U is above the 3DS version, though that's most likely because Famitsu is more core oriented and thus its readers are more receptive towards console titles.

Kid Ying

I think anyone had lower expectations for ghosts on the wiiu than on 360. Im going to buy it, but theres is already an audience on the 360 buying those games, although small right now and declining, i dont think wiiu already got that kind of audience.

Its sad, i agree, but im not surprised.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have to wonder if the 800k of the 1 million JPN WiiU owners wasn't just the country's total population of gadget grabbers that live off the 1 month high of the new fangled tech, then never touch the thing again, because they sure as shit don't show up to any new software.

200-300k may be the MARIO ONLY audience, and thats that out of the systems current install base. Nothing sells.

I'm interested in ALbW's sales almost solely to see how budget development is going to be rewarded versus the infinitesimal return on WiiU Zelda, especially with 3D Land budget vs 3D World budget also going to be an easy go to comparison.

saichi

GE2 costs the same on Vita and on PSP? Why would anyone buy the inferior version. Anyway this is my most anticipated release this year, even more so than my PS4 preorder. Does anyone know when they are offering the sound track?

cause they only have PSP...

EDIT: beaten

I have been playing the game on my PC recently and i must say i quite like it .
The battle system takes some getting used to but overall i am having fun .

What did you dislike about it ?
It's a boring game where you are forced to grind before every boss fight. I couldn't stand to spend more time than necessary with it.

Top Bottom