• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Wait, is the percentage sell-through for Wii Party U the total sales / (the total number of bundles + standalone units), or just the total sales / standalone units?

idlewild_

Couldn't disagree more. Writing, voice over and story bad? Yep! I enjoyed the hell out of the gameplay though. Collectable squad based combat? Sign me up.

The battle system is sooooooo slow. I played it on PC and I thought I had turbo-mode or w/e it's called turned off and flipped the switch, NOPE, it was that slow in 'fast mode'. The best way to level/strengthen your characters was not intuitive and some of the battles had too much RNG for my tastes. I beat the game, but it's definitely not something I would play again or even recommend to others to try out.

Hubb

The battle system is sooooooo slow. I played it on PC and I thought I had turbo-mode or w/e it's called turned off and flipped the switch, NOPE, it was that slow in 'fast mode'. The best way to level/strengthen your characters was not intuitive and some of the battles had too much RNG for my tastes. I beat the game, but it's definitely not something I would play again or even recommend to others to try out.

Different tastes then. I has been a year since I have played it, but I played it all the way through and I only have fond memories of the battle system. I may have edited my game to increase the battle speed though, can't remember.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Aren't games like Wii Party U slow burners? Retailers wouldn't order 100,000 of a game if they thought it was a dog, would they? Especially on the Wii U.

Sure, look at all these Wii U games that manage to sell their initial shipment.

Wait, is the percentage sell-through for Wii Party U the total sales / (the total number of bundles + standalone units), or just the total sales / standalone units?

Sales split between download codes and packaged games is almost equal to 50/50 and download codes always have 100% sellthrough.

05./06. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.10.24} (¥2.980) - 38.179 / 74.181 (+6%)

I just noticed this, what the hell. :lol

Comgnet Pre-Order:

16. [WiiU] Super Mario 3D World – 24pt

It lives.

iwata-awkwardclap.gif

Mory Dunz

The Last Remnant for PS3? Wow, how many years has it been? Did the game come out in 2008 originally?

Would they be getting (edit: never going to happen of course) the 360 version or PC version. I heard the 360 version was terrible, and the list of changes from the 360 to PC were huge. (One being, you could only recuit the scrubs to join your team on the 360 version. How dumb is that.)

I loved the PC version, and it's one of my favorite RPGs in recent memory. However, it's not a game for everybody so trying to give definite recommendations or opinions about it won't work too well.

Welp, I guess it was nice having you as Nintendo's CEO, Iwata. Besides the past few years where you screwed pretty much everything up, it was fun.

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)[/U][/B]

[b]01. [PS3] Batttlefield 4 &#8211; 264pt[/b]
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 &#8211; 79pt
03. [3DS] Pokémon X &#8211; 66pt
04. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V &#8211; 55pt
05. [3DS] Pokémon Y &#8211; 54pt
[b]06. [PSV] Akiba's Trip 2 &#8211; 52pt[/b]
07. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 &#8211; 43pt
[b]08. [PS3] Akiba's Trip 2 &#8211; 42pt[/b]
[b]09. [PS3] Onechanbara Z: Kagura with NoNoNo! &#8211; 39pt[/b]
10. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 &#8211; 36pt
11. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! &#8211; 35pt
12. [WIU] Wii Party U &#8211; 26pt
[b]13. [PS3] NBA 2K14 &#8211; 24pt[/b]
14. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle &#8211; 23pt
15. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chronophantasma &#8211; 22pt
[b]16. [PSV] Exstetra &#8211; 20pt[/b]
17. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack &#8211; 20pt
[b]18. [3DS] Metal Max 4: Moonlight Diva &#8211; 19pt[/b]
19. [PSV] Gundam Breaker &#8211; 18pt
[b]20. [3DS] Bandai Namco Games Presents J Legend Retsuden &#8211; 17pt[/b]
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
PS3 - 9
3DS - 6
PSV - 3
PSP - 1
WIU - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Damn it, late again...that's what I get for thinking I could get out of the airport in time for Comgnet.

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)[/U][/B]

[b]01. [PS3] Batttlefield 4 – 264pt[/b]
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 79pt
03. [3DS] Pokémon X – 66pt
04. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V – 55pt
05. [3DS] Pokémon Y – 54pt
[b]06. [PSV] Akiba's Trip 2 – 52pt[/b]
07. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 – 43pt
[b]08. [PS3] Akiba's Trip 2 – 42pt[/b]
[b]09. [PS3] Onechanbara Z: Kagura with NoNoNo! – 39pt[/b]
10. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 – 36pt
11. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! – 35pt
12. [WIU] Wii Party U – 26pt
[b]13. [PS3] NBA 2K14 – 24pt[/b]
14. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle – 23pt
15. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chronophantasma – 22pt
[b]16. [PSV] Exstetra – 20pt[/b]
17. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack – 20pt
[b]18. [3DS] Metal Max 4: Moonlight Diva – 19pt[/b]
19. [PSV] Gundam Breaker – 18pt
[b]20. [3DS] Bandai Namco Games Presents J Legend Retsuden – 17pt[/b]
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
PS3 - 9
3DS - 6
PSV - 3
PSP - 1
WIU - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Damn it, late again...that's what I get for thinking I could get out of the airport in time for Comgnet.
That baseball series is doing fairly well.

Road

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/game/ps3/

Jesus, The Last Remnant is still there. And it's not like they can excuse it by saying the site isn't updated, since it has the upcoming PS3 games that are actually in development such as KH2.5 and Thief.

There must have been a typo in the exclusivity contract that had "10" instead of "1" year of exclusivity to Microsoft. The PS3 version is ready and SE just waiting for that period to expire...

Asd202

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/game/ps3/

Jesus, The Last Remnant is still there. And it's not like they can excuse it by saying the site isn't updated, since it has the upcoming PS3 games that are actually in development such as KH2.5 and Thief.

There must have been a typo in the exclusivity contract that had "10" instead of "1" year of exclusivity to Microsoft. The PS3 version is ready and SE just waiting for that period to expire...

WTF why they still haven't removed it. It's so stupid.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ouch. 1/6th the preorders of 3D Land in a comparable time frame is pretty weak.

I love me some comgnet, I really do, and I think that the numbers right now look bad, but I do think we are giving it just a bit too much credence right now.

Oh I know that's the LTD of NSMBU; it's higher now due to the bundle iirc, but the way he asked "553K" in response to Sammy saying it would sell well for a Wii U game made it sound like he was asking whether people thought it would sell around as much/predicting sales for it.
I love me some comgnet, I really do, and I think that the numbers right now look bad, but I do think we are giving it just a bit too much credence right now.
There's always the caveat in play that it's just a single small chain of stores. But it can be indicative of wider consumer sentiment.

I don't know how often it's completely out of sync, i.e. have games ever and/or often not appeared in the pre-order charts and sold multiple hundreds of thousands first week?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There's always the caveat in play that it's just a single small chain of stores. But it can be indicative of wider consumer sentiment.

I don't know how often it's completely out of sync, i.e. have games ever and/or often not appeared in the pre-order charts and sold multiple hundreds of thousands first week?

I think its great as a general indicator, but you can have cases where games that are barely charting 7-10 days before release end up doing well. Something like Soul Sacrifice I believe only finished with something like 45 "points" or pre-orders and ended up doing 100K-ish first week.

Once we get the total amount of orders for the game I think you can get a better comparison, but right now all we can say is that according to comgnet there is low pre-order numbers and low awareness with the crowd that would pre-order.

DrWong

12. [WIU] Wii Party U – 26pt

Wii Party U was at 74 pts just before its release. I don't know if comgnet was counting the bundles, but if we apply the same ratio for this week we would have around 12K sales if we take MC last week sales as reference, or around 25K if we go with Famitsu numbers.

I'm not sure my "logic" works here, if someone can correct me...

Regarding SM3DW, I think it can do 2x Pikmin 3 FW numbers, regardless of other factors.

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)[/U][/B]

[b]01./NEW [PS3] Battlefield 4[/b]						[b]01. [PS3] Batttlefield 4 &#8211; 264pt[/b]
02./01. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013			02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 &#8211; 79pt
03./02. [3DS] Pokémon X							03. [3DS] Pokémon X &#8211; 66pt
04./04. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4						04. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V &#8211; 55pt
05./08. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V					05. [3DS] Pokémon Y &#8211; 54pt
[b]06./NEW [PSV] Akiba's Trip 2[/b]						[b]06. [PSV] Akiba's Trip 2 &#8211; 52pt[/b]
07./03. [3DS] Pokémon Y							07. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 &#8211; 43pt
08./07. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013			[b]08. [PS3] Akiba's Trip 2 &#8211; 42pt[/b]
[b]09./NEW [PS3] Akiba's Trip 2[/b]						[b]09. [PS3] Onechanbara Z: Kagura with NoNoNo! &#8211; 39pt[/b]
10./06. [PSV] Gundam Breaker						10. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 &#8211; 36pt
[b]11./NEW [3DS] Bandai Namco Games Presents J Legend Retsuden[/b]		11. [3DS] Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! &#8211; 35pt
[b]12./NEW [PS3] Onechanbara Z: Kagura with NoNoNo![/b]			12. [WIU] Wii Party U &#8211; 26pt
13./09. [WIU] Wii Party U						[b]13. [PS3] NBA 2K14 &#8211; 24pt[/b]
[b]14./NEW [3DS] Metal Max 4: Moonlight Diva[/b]				14. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle &#8211; 23pt
15./10. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013			15. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chronophantasma &#8211; 22pt
16./05. [3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Wars				[b]16. [PSV] Exstetra &#8211; 20pt[/b]
[b]17./NEW [PSV] Exstetra[/b]							17. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack &#8211; 20pt
[b]18./NEW [PS3] NBA 2K14[/b]							[b]18. [3DS] Metal Max 4: Moonlight Diva &#8211; 19pt[/b]
19./14. [3DS] Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle!	19. [PSV] Gundam Breaker &#8211; 18pt
20./12. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chronophantasma					[b]20. [3DS] Bandai Namco Games Presents J Legend Retsuden &#8211; 17pt[/b]
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale
PS3 - 7									PS3 - 9
3DS - 7									3DS - 6
PSV - 4									PSV - 3
PSP - 1									PSP - 1
WIU - 1									WIU - 1[/B]

[b][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

[3DS] Tamagotchi! Session no Dream School
[3DS] Exstetra
[3DS] CharaPet Tsukutte! Sodatete! Character Shougakkou

[PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Battle Destiny (PlayStation Vita the Best)

[PSP] Glass Heart Princess: Platinum
[PSP] Glass Heart Princess: Platinum (Limited Edition)
[PSP] Glass Heart Princess: Twin Pack
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation: Over World (PSP the Best)
[PSP] Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage (SystemSoft Selection)

[PS3] Rocksmith 2014 Edition
[PS3] Rocksmith 2014 Edition (Real Tone Cable Bundle)
[PS3] Wonderbook: Book of Spells
[PS3] Okami HD (PlayStation 3 the Best)
[PS3] Resident Evil Chronicles HD Selection (PlayStation 3 the Best)
[PS3] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best)

[360] Battlefield 4
[360] Rocksmith 2014 Edition
[360] NBA 2K14
[360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Platinum Collection)[/b]

For the people who aren't regulars in Media Create threads:

What is Tsutaya?
Tsutaya is a major retailer with 1,444 retail stores (613 that sell new games) all across Japan.

What is Comgnet?
Comgnet is the website for the retailer "COMG!" that has 16 retail stores across one prefecture in Japan.

Why post these rankings?
They are released three days before Media Create + Famitsu + Dengeki give us nationwide sales, so we get a general indication of how well the games will perform relative to their competition.

How accurate is Tsutaya compared to nationwide retail tracking services?
It's large enough that it gives a very probable indication of future sales rankings, but it's not large enough to be definitive.

Famitsu: ~3,600 stores
Media Create + Dengeki: >3,000 stores
Tsutaya: 613 stores
Comgnet: 16 stores

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

extralite

sörine;89155039 said:
KH3D underperformed in Japan but it did okay in the US. Same with TWEWY I believe.
Okay is not what SE is aiming for.

And since TWEWY was a new franchise there is no comparison for it to have underperformed. Compared to other new SE IPs for DS it was one of the more successful ones.

What I mean is, DS cultivated a touch heavy gameplay style. We got two Zeldas that were controlled with the stylus. Now on 3DS it's back to buttons and the new features 3DS and gyro are heavily used.

3DS managed to get a good part of the PSP audience, obviously also a great part of the DS audience but the touch play style kinda moved on to smart devices. Layton is there now and didn't do too great on 3DS, other new projects by L5 still use touch a lot and much of it is now for mobile.

Basically the DS proved you can make compelling games with just a touch interface. So it paved the way more for smart devices than for the 3DS which bet on 3D and 3rd party core games, both of which Sony was already betting on. Of course for Sony 3D didn't pay off at all and for 3DS it wasn't as big as they had probably hoped for.

But 3DS is Nintendo's successful attempt at a more core gamer oriented hardware. The Wii U is more of a successor to the DS than the 3DS is and I expect casual gaming to be relatively more successful on the U for that reason.

Glass Joe

Yeah I don't know what to make of 3D World's number. Wasn't it just last week that people were saying Wii Party U was going to be a massive massive bomb due to the Comgnet? And it ended up doing 80k including bundles. Maybe that Comgnet chain isn't totally representative of the Wii U audience.

Welp, I guess it was nice having you as Nintendo's CEO, Iwata. Besides the past few years where you screwed pretty much everything up, it was fun.

In this thread, The Wii U was the largest selling home console in Japan this week. Can't ya just let the U enjoy this little moment? Your doom talk will be much more relevant this coming Wednesday when the U numbers slide back down.

Kid Ying

Aren't games like Wii Party U slow burners? Retailers wouldn't order 100,000 of a game if they thought it was a dog, would they? Especially on the Wii U.
By looking at the split, party sold something like 40k, which means, 200k were shipped.

Top Bottom