• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2014 (Oct 27 - Nov 02)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.11.13}

[3DS] One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145)
[3DS] Marvel Disk Wars: Avengers - Ultimate Heroes <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.119)
[3DS] Elminage Ibun: Ame no Mihashira Kai <RPG> (Starfish SD) (¥6.264)
[3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Rhythm <ACT> (Success) (¥5.184)
[3DS] Shunsoku Mezase! Zenkoku Saikyou Runner <RCE> (MTO) (¥5.184)

[PSV] PlayStation Vita Mercury Duo Premium Limited Edition <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥22.658)
[PSV] PlayStation Vita Wi-Fi Model Light Pink / White <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥20.498)
[PSV] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax <FTG> (Sega) (¥6.663)
[PSV] Marginal 4: Idol of Supernova # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Marginal 4: Idol of Supernova (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)
[PSV] Hanayamata: Yosakoi Live! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145)
[PSV] Hanayamata: Yosakoi Live! (Colorful Cultural Festival Box) <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.778)

{WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Wii U Family Mario Kart 8 Set Black) <RCE> (Nintendo) (¥35.424)
{WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Wii U Family Mario Kart 8 Set White) <RCE> (Nintendo) (¥35.424)
{WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥3.996)

[PS4] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥8.424)
[PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.208)
[PS4] Battlefield 4: Premium Edition <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.504)

[XB1] Xbox One "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" Limited Edition <H-W> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥53.978)
[XB1] Halo: The Master Chief Collection # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥6.372)
[XB1] Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo: The Master Chief Collection Bundle) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥43.178)
[XB1] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.208)

[PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥8.424)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.208)
[PS3] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax <FTG> (Sega) (¥7.538)
[PS3] Battlefield 4: Premium Edition <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥9.504)

[360] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥8.424)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
And here's how Square Enix categorizes their smartphones success and plans:

Major titles:

Categorized earnings:

Asian expansion details:

Development plan:

FFXIV

> First FF released in China
> "Garnered attention from FF fans in China"

What?

antibolo

Banned
FFXIV

> First FF released in China
> "Garnered attention from FF fans in China"

What?

China has a relatively large gray market console import scene. Just because it's the first game released there certainly doesn't mean that nobody has played them before.

Well they just announced some kind of Racing Lagoon cross-over iOS thing: http://gematsu.com/2014/11/square-enix-announces-racing-lagoon-shissou-yankee-damashii-crossover

The problem with (sort of) new IPs in the mobile gaming market is that they seem to not last long. SQEX is lucky that has FF, which is still beloved by many. The popularity is anyway on decline, and I was wondering what they will have left in 10 years on the Japanese side if they will mainly go on mobile and: 1. new IPs tend to be one-hit wonder; 2. FF is no more popular -not as it was used to be. SQEX must hope in DQ to keeping its relevancy in the future, even though the premise to go on PS4 does not look promising sales-wise.

Comgnet 1 week (10/31 - 11/7)

Pok AS - 654 (+71)
Pok OR - 574 (+63)
YW2.5 - 664 (+178)

hail to Jibanyan, the new king of Japan

zeromcd73

New interview with Horii Yuji
http://i.imgur.com/puwYRk4.jpg

Q. What will happen to games in the future

Horii: People say that home consoles don't sell anymore in Japan, but once the smartphone boom settles I think home consoles will be the focus of attention again.

Horii: It's true that with smartphones and handhelds you have the benefits of taking them anywhere with you or watching TV as you play, but I think fans of video games are still feeling the desire to play games on the big screen. Also, with handhelds because the controller and the screen is on the same device it makes it painful to play for long periods of time. Playing with a home console controller and being able to move your hands around is more comfortable.

DQXI PS4 hype!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The problem with (sort of) new IPs in the mobile gaming market is that they seem to not last long. SQEX is lucky that has FF, which is still beloved by many. The popularity is anyway on decline, and I was wondering what they will have left in 10 years on the Japanese side if they will mainly go on mobile and: 1. new IPs tend to be one-hit wonder; 2. FF is no more popular -not as it was used to be. SQEX must hope in DQ to keeping its relevancy in the future, even though the premise to go on PS4 does not look promising sales-wise.

With mobile games the idea though is that they're games as as service and you don't actually have another game in the series.

Like for games run in a similar manner on other platforms, think about Team Fortress 2 or League of Legends.

Clash of Clans is the #1 top grossing app in the US iOS app store, and it's pretty much been there since a few months after it came out in August 2012, just receiving continual updates since then.

In Japan, Puzzle & Dragons dates back to the same year.

It's a very different market than CPG (consumer packaged goods), where you release a new entry every 1-3 years. The trick on mobile is to maintain engagement continually, whereas the trick with CPG is to entice people to buy each new entry, though many of those products are increasingly moving toward service games (see things like games with both season passes and a bevy of free updates, or even better, Ultimate Team in sports games) where you buy in and then get a stream of content to keep you playing all the way until the next entry comes out.

Square Enix also has had some good success with new IPs on mobile in a way that they've really struggled with on console. School Girl Strikers is a game that charts nearly as well as Final Fantasy Record Keeper and DQM. Million Arthur has been a notable success for them in greater Asia, and Sangokushi Rumble has done a lot better than many of their branded titles on mobile, even if it's not as high as their three flagship games.

Between their mobile titles and their MMOs, I feel the Japanese side's transition to digital has actually been notably strong.

zeromcd73

New interview with Horii Yuji
http://i.imgur.com/puwYRk4.jpg
And here's the section about the West and GTA above:

Interviewer: In the West, games like GTA seem to be the next popular thing.

Horii: Ah, Grand Theft Auto. This was the first game that employed the open world system. Instead of being forced down a certain path they put you in an open world and let you do whatever you want. This seems to be the genre most popular in the foreign market. Doing whatever you want in a game that doesn't give you instructions requires a certain talent, a playing talent; And if you don't have it you really have no idea what to do in an open space that doesn't tell you were to go. I think this is one of the reasons most Western games don't hit big in Japan.

Horii: The ability to play sounds like a pretty good way to describe it. People who aren't really good at games seem to stay away from them. This seems to currently be the problem with adults in Japan. In terms of Japanese core gamers how many do you think are in Japan?

Yuji: All together regardless of genre, I think there's about 500,000 core games in Japan. Whether or not this increases is what we will be working hard towards in the future.

zeromcd73

Let's discuss this instead of where Dragon Quest will go for the millionth time.
alfred-nevah.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I change them every so often.

Prior ones:

orkoe9u1e.png
yuna272uid.png
lich2t3u06.png
transistor1y4uwg.png

There was one other Orko one, which was perhaps my first and longest one, but it's in a back-up drive somewhere.

Also a few that were very temporary.

Haven't quite settled on if I'm keeping this one yet, but going with it for now.

And yes if you know that information is authentic, you should make a new thread.

zeromcd73

And yes if you know that information is authentic, you should make a new thread.
It's authentic. It's a interview with Kazuo Koike in a magazine called Stranger.

I would have made a thread instead of posting it here, but juniored until March :(

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It's authentic. It's a interview with Kazuo Koike in a magazine called Stranger.

I would have made a thread instead of posting it here, but juniored until March :(

Is the article title "Spring Awakening" or something? I'm still confused what this interview, etc. is about.

hiska-kun

If this week was the week of bombas, the next one is going to be week of bombas version 2.0.

Just Lego was released this week. All versions bombed selling just 10-20% of their shipment.
Curiously, the Wii U version has the better sellthrough.

Just New 3DS XL should be up, due to Smash Edition.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It's meant to be about the future of games.

So the article is talking about the Wii U and their predictions on the future of games? Also, isn't that guy being interviewed a manga writer?

If this week was the week of bombas, the next one is going to be week of bombas version 2.0.

Just Lego was released this week. All versions bombed selling just 10-20% of its shipment Curiously, the Wii U version has the better sellthrough.

Well the Wii U had Lego City Undercover, which sold 74K in 2013 eventually after opening at like 18K. So it bombed across the board then? Even on 3DS? What kinds of sales were they expecting? Then again if Lego City sold 3x its sales after its first week, maybe it'll be fine thanks to the holidays. Really depends on how much shipped for each platform though.

Just Lego was released this week. All versions bombed selling just 10-20% of its shipment Curiously, the Wii U version has the better sellthrough.
Not sure if I'd consider that curious. For one it would depend on how realistic shipments were? For another, better audience fit.

Also wouldn't Lego be a long-tail type game?

zeromcd73

So the article is talking about the Wii U and their predictions on the future of games? Also, isn't that guy being interviewed a manga writer?
The article isn't about Wii U. How did you come to that?

The other guy is a manga artist and an entrepreneur. Horii was one of his students a long time ago.

In the meanwhile, Dragon Quest Heroes has yet to appear in Comgnet rankings, and it is falling on Amazon best-seller chart. I thought that being the first DQ on a home console since 2006 it would have generated a lot more interests, in particular by hardcore gamers (those who preorders immediately).

With mobile games the idea though is that they're games as as service and you don't actually have another game in the series.

Like for games run in a similar manner on other platforms, think about Team Fortress 2 or League of Legends.

Clash of Clans is the #1 top grossing app in the US iOS app store, and it's pretty much been there since a few months after it came out in August 2012, just receiving continual updates since then.

In Japan, Puzzle & Dragons dates back to the same year.

It's a very different market than CPG (consumer packaged goods), where you release a new entry every 1-3 years. The trick on mobile is to maintain engagement continually, whereas the trick with CPG is to entice people to buy each new entry, though many of those products are increasingly moving toward service games (see things like games with both season passes and a bevy of free updates, or even better, Ultimate Team in sports games) where you buy in and then get a stream of content to keep you playing all the way until the next entry comes out.

Square Enix also has had some good success with new IPs on mobile in a way that they've really struggled with on console. School Girl Strikers is a game that charts nearly as well as Final Fantasy Record Keeper and DQM. Million Arthur has been a notable success for them in greater Asia, and Sangokushi Rumble has done a lot better than many of their branded titles on mobile, even if it's not as high as their three flagship games.

Between their mobile titles and their MMOs, I feel the Japanese side's transition to digital has actually been notably strong.

I know that the two markets are fundamentally different. They are based on completely different business models. This does not change the fact that, if you are a traditional game company, either you have a new successful IP; or you exploit an existing IP. SQEX does not seem to have found notable successes, outside the 102031th FF they tried, the 3rd DQ game, and a bunch of new IPs that are not nearly as popular as Puzzle and Dragons and such.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I disagree with what he said lol. I think he's going to be surprised when home console sales don't pick up, even with a new DQ.

Japan is a particular case, but I'm sure the iOS/Android craze in the West is just a water bubble. It'll explode pretty soon. I say 2-3 yrs at best and they'll be forgotten. things move so fast nowdays, what's fashion these 12 months can disappear 12 months after. Traditional gaming is here to stay and I think Sony with Ps4 is proof enough of it.

Takao

Banned
Japan is a particular case, but I'm sure the iOS/Android craze in the West is just a water bubble. It'll explode pretty soon. I say 2-3 yrs at best and they'll be forgotten. things move so fast nowdays, what's fashion these 12 months can disappear 12 months after. Traditional gaming is here to stay and I think Sony with Ps4 is proof enough of it.
in 1994 i'm sure sega amusement felt the same way

Thorgal

In the meanwhile, Dragon Quest Heroes has yet to appear in Comgnet rankings, and it is falling on Amazon best-seller chart. I thought that being the first DQ on a home console since 2006 it would have generated a lot more interests, in particular by hardcore gamers (those who preorders immediately).

edit : ignore

Was thinking about the bundle .

Mobile won't be going away, but I do think it's nearly peaked, the drop in tablet sales year on year is proof of that, and it's just a matter of the new status quo finding it's balance.

Mobile Devs are thankfully starting to notice that the app market is not a limitless gold mine of profit too, and the flash in the pan titles and spin offs are not sustainable for the long term. Just look at the job cuts at Rovio after all the failed Angry Bird Spin offs, or the collapse of the Draw Something studio once everyone got bored of it.

Like was mentioned earlier, stuff like Clash of Clans, a single ongoing game as a service that offers regular updates and easy addictive thrills seems to be the way of the future.

It'll probably kill off handhelds as we know them eventually, but mobile isn't going to completely take over the games industry in the way people were predicting.

Japan really is an exception to the rule though. It's economy simply isn't getting better, and as it's middle class continues to evaporate the number if people able to afford a PC or console will continue to diminish. Traditional gaming models will become more and more niche, as the obsessive fanboys end up the only market willing to spend such a high proportion of their income on frivolity. Mobile will only expand there, and likely eventually swallow up all the old franchises that we're used to seeing on dedicated hardware.

The entire market over there is going to be basically incompatible with the rest of the worlds tastes and buying habits within a decade, you mark my words.

L~A

Just Lego was released this week. All versions bombed selling just 10-20% of their shipment.
Curiously, the Wii U version has the better sellthrough.

Just simply retailers not ordering tons of copies, they know what sales are gonna be like on Wii U.

Leg-o-meter october edition... We're now at 2 weeks without Youkai Watch in the Top 20 in 2014.

I noticed that 3DS line-up for 2015 Q1-Q2 is shaping up nicely, considering the fact that after the TGS it seems third parties did not have anything relevant for it. Many of them are not the big sellers 3DS had during the last months of the current year, but they are useful to fill the line-up.

January
  • The Legend of Legacy (FuRyu) - Jan 22nd
  • Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (Atlus) - Jan 29th
  • Yowamushi Pedal (Bandai Namco) - Jan 29th
  • Ace Combat 3D: Cross Rumble + (Bandai Namco) - Jan 29th
  • Kenka Bancho 6: Soul & Blood - TBA

February
  • Lost Heroes 2 (Bandai Namco) - Feb 4th
  • The Seven Deadly Sins: Unjust Sin (Bandai Namco) - Feb 11th

March
  • Doraemon: Nobita&#8217;s Space Hero Record of Space Heroes (FuRyu) - Mar 5th
  • New Prince of Tennis &#65374;Go to the Top&#65374; (Konami) - Mar 5th

TBA 2015
  • Bravely Second (Square Enix) - Winter
  • Stella Glow (imageepoch) - Winter
  • Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Lincoln VS Aliens (Nintendo) - Spring
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe (SEGA) - Spring
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora&#8217;s Mask 3D (Nintendo) - Spring
  • Terra Formars: Akaki Hoshi no Gekitou (FuRyu) - Spring
  • Atelier Roron (Tecmo Koei) - TBA
  • Dai Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom) - TBA
  • Kuroko&#8217;s Basketball: Ties to the Future (Bandai Namco) - TBA
  • PoPoLoCrois Harvest Moon (Marvelous) - TBA
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo) - TBA

BriBri

There's also LEGO Marvel Super Heroes The Game for 22 January, Koenji Joshi Soccer 3 for February, Kaminari-ko for June, and Assassination Classroom undated. Missing in action are Kaio, Layton 7 and Rodea. And Kenka Bancho 6 is 15 Jan. I guess Famicom Remix is a lock too.

Jigorath

Banned

What's your prediction?

L~A

That's a pretty cool line-up for the 3DS, though it's missing two things:

1) Dragon Quest game (last 2 year had one on 1st week of February)
2) major Nintendo game (à la Animal Crossing / Tomodachi Life), just like last year.

Top Bottom