• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2011 (Nov 07 - Nov 13)

Michan

Jonnyram said:
I wouldn't say this at all.
Mario 3DS had less impact on hardware sales than the price drop, and we are now in holiday season, as opposed to the middle of summer.
Nintendo needs something new to push 3DS, not the same old same old.
Yeah, you're right. We're all so focussed on Mario. We should instead turn our attention to Metal Big Turismo XIII.

Just you wait until Metal Big Turismo XIII! 3DS may not be selling today, but sales will rocket when that finally releases. Just look at its Amazon pre-orders!

BurntPork

Banned
Wow. You really have to be desperate to find fault in the 3DS if you honestly think it has even the slightest chance of underperforming this holiday...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Jonnyram said:
I honestly thought Mario would have longer legs than this. Looks like it will struggle to reach a million.
Meanwhile, surprised at how Uncharted and Battlefield are keeping up. Thought they'd be down in the teens with all the new releases last week.
Is this a serious post?

Daschysta

Jonnyram said:
Mario 3DS had less impact on hardware sales than the price drop, and we are now in holiday season, as opposed to the middle of summer.

3DS is selling very, very well. It's sold already to over 1/5 of the total userbase in 3 weeks! It's beating the DS at the same point in their respective lives, it had the best opening of any 3D mario ever, and that's before the actual holidays, which will ensure amazing legs...

How much did you expect the 3DS to sell? By all accounts it's doing very, very well, and if the 3DS is selling at a disapointing rate what do you have to say for all other hardware combined, which the 3DS outsold?

Rocket slime is selling in line with other ones, despite a smaller userbase, OOT of time did very well and had good legs, one piece sold very well, as did many other games given its small userbase. The only game that hasn't really sold to expectations is nintendogs+ cats, which is in line with the view that the userbase of the 3DS is a bit different than the DS's.

3DS hardware has been selling amazingly well, with and without mario, and it has an amazing lineup of software to keep it going. 3DS has not been remotely disapointing in japan since the price drop. Quite the opposite in fact.

Keep in mind too that the global recession has a hand in all recent downturns on extra expenditures, like games.

matmanx1

Mario Land 3D will have legs. I don't even think that's a point of contention. We just don't know how long those legs will eventually get.

PSP is still putting up some great SW numbers even if the HW sales are slowing down. I'd love to see the amount of money that Sony has made on the PSP platform vs the amount of money Sony has made (still negative, right?) on the PS3 platform. It's not something that matters to anyone outside of Sony, really, but I think it would make for a fascinating discussion.

I sure hope Rocket Slime 3 picks up but it may get completely lost in the holiday shuffle. I really have an affection for those games. How did the newest one rate? Has anyone tried it out?

Takao

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
I also wanna point out that this is actually a significant drop for Diva.

It's in between the debut for the first and second game, which isn't bad given this one isn't a full fledged new game, but another expanded release.

matmanx1 said:
Mario Land 3D will have legs. I don't even think that's a point of contention. We just don't know how long those legs will eventually get.

PSP is still putting up some great SW numbers even if the HW sales are slowing down. I'd love to see the amount of money that Sony has made on the PSP platform vs the amount of money Sony has made (still negative, right?) on the PS3 platform. It's not something that matters to anyone outside of Sony, really, but I think it would make for a fascinating discussion.

I sure hope Rocket Slime 3 picks up but it may get completely lost in the holiday shuffle. I really have an affection for those games. How did the newest one rate? Has anyone tried it out?

I think Famitsu gave it a 38 or 39, so it must at least be money-hatable. I haven't seen any impressions around, there might be some, but I'm not sure where.

Laguna

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Wait for...
Ocarina of Time 3D
Starfox 3D
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Monster Hunter Tri G
Inazuma Eleven Go
Love Plus+

It´s like you have missed that 3DS sold over 100k in two consecutive weeks in october.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And another race just begun

Famitsu datas (Last update: Today, with last week chart)

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) - 182.998 / 457.513 / 40,00% 16/06/11

[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 145.068 / 554.109 / 26,18% 02/12/06

Less than 100k of distance.

EDIT: Finally http://andriasang.com/comyzn/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Laguna said:
It´s like you have missed that 3DS sold over 100k in two consecutive weeks in october.
Johnnyram has been pretty negative about the 3DS since its launched - so these statements shouldn't be too surprising. But yeah everyone is entitled to have his opinion.

Apenheul

cw_sasuke said:
Johnnyram has been pretty negative about the 3DS since its launched - so these statements shouldn't be too surprising. But yeah everyone is entitled to have his opinion.

But why is he so bitter nowadays? I remember him from a good five or six years ago, and he made nothing but great posts (IMO).

Mpl90 said:
And another race just begun

Famitsu datas (Last update: Today, with last week chart)

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) - 182.998 / 457.513 / 40,00% 16/06/11

[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 145.068 / 554.109 / 26,18% 02/12/06

Less than 100k of distance.

EDIT: Finally http://andriasang.com/comyzn/

It's gonna catch and surpass it easily. Been saying this for months.

gkryhewy

Jonnyram said:
Hey look, it's a Wii is a fad post circa 2007. Nostalgic.

wrowa

Jonnyram said:
You wouldn't say this at all? Without supporting software the 3DS sold constantly between 50k and 70k per week. That's an impressive number. Selling more than 100k units two weeks in a row (and before the christmas shopping begins) even more so.

Doubting the 3DS's hardware sales in Japan at this point seems bizarre. It's selling great, there's no single possible way to argue against this.

Jonnyram said:
Look at the graph showing ds sales in 2005 sales didn't pick up for the holidays til the end of November we're only in the middle and 3ds sales are huge

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS sales will go crazy once Mario Kart and Monster Hunter are released. Why? Because these are the 2 most social games in Japan. Two games that get better because other people play it. You don't want to be out of such phenomenons.

Mpl90

marc^o^ said:
3DS sales will go crazy once Mario Kart and Monster Hunter are released. Why? Because these are the 2 most social games in Japan. Two games that get better because other people play it. You don't want to be out of such phenomenons.

Mario Kart with the whole Community thing can be INSANE. INSANE.

Laguna

Banned
Apenheul said:
But why is he so bitter nowadays? I remember him from a good five or six years ago, and he made nothing but great posts (IMO).

He`s bringing up the old "waiting for xy"-meme loved by sonyfans maybe that´s a hint. But he obviously doesn´t care that this time it doesn´t make sense, because 3DS did great in Japan the past weeks and also outsold the PS3 in USA last month.

Apenheul said:

Maybe some of us wanted more from Nintendo than a system that is barely a step up from the DS with a slew of gimmicks?

I'm a 3DS owner and I thought Mario was great. But I seriously dislike the system and I think the amount of Nintendo fanboyism here is laughable.

twentytwo22 said:
Maybe some of us wanted more from Nintendo than a system that is barely a step up from the DS with a slew of gimmicks?

I'm a 3DS owner and I thought Mario was great. But I seriously dislike the system and I think the amount of Nintendo fanboyism here is laughable.
Barely a step up from ds? WHat you been smoking?

caligula13

Gold Member
twentytwo22 said:

Priceless! Fanboy says he hates fanboyism.

Tell me what I am a fanboy of? I'm a fanboy of technology and good gaming. And considering I will probably spend 10x more time on my 3DS than any other system for the next few months (starting December 10th), I think I have a right to state my opinion about the downsides of Nintendos newest hardware. If I'm a fanboy, I guess I'm doing it wrong.

And relative to the DS it might be a decent improvement, but relative to what it COULD have been, it is somewhat sad.

He's grossly exaggerating for sure saying it's "barely" a jump, but the DS to 3DS leap was smaller than the GBA to DS one when you consider the amount of time in between the release of the platforms (Just over 3.5 years vs. just under 6.5).

Remove 3D from the equation and DS to 3DS is basically PS to PS2 in terms of advancement (more even in some respects). Why would anyone expect more than a standard generational improvement out of it?

matmanx1

twentytwo22 said:

I see where you are coming from and have had similar thoughts myself. Outside of the "3d" (which frankly I don't find all that useable because I have a hard time keeping my head in the sweet spot) it's a DS with better graphics and worse battery life.

And then there's the deal with the price drop (never have I been burned so badly in buying a system at launch) and while the ambassador games are a nice gesture I still get the feeling I overpaid for something that really wasn't worth what they were asking.

Anyway, this is a MC thread and should be kept to thoughts about sales and on that front I think the 3DS is going to do well. The software is finally catching up to where it should be and the price is right. Once 2012 rolls around and a few of those games filter in to America (like Mon Hun, Rocket Slime 3 and Tales of the Abyss) all will be forgiven.

Laguna

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
He's grossly exaggerating for sure saying it's "barely" a jump, but the DS to 3DS leap was smaller than the GBA to DS one when you consider the amount of time in between the release of the platforms (Just over 3.5 years vs. just under 6.5).

A step from N64 similar tech to Wii-like tech with some modern shaders + 3D is by no means barely a step up from DS. That he also complained about "Nintendofanboys" in the same post makes it more than obvious that he isn`t unbiasd.

airmangataosenai said:
What about the GB to GBA timeframe (Just under 12 years) versus 3DS?

twentytwo22 said:

What fanboyism? This is a sales thread, opinions about the systems generally don't have much of a place in here. The sales do all the talking and the 3DS is doing great numbers here.

Laguna

Banned
Magicpaint said:
What fanboyism? This is a sales thread, opinions about the systems generally don't have much of a place in here. The sales do all the talking and the 3DS is doing great numbers here.

Stating the obvious is fanboyism if it´s in favour of company xyz... ;)

Magicpaint said:

Absolutely, and not refuting that --- more people to play MH3G with, I hope.

As for the discussion of the tech jump from DS to 3DS, you guys are right, it doesn't belong in this thread -- forgot where I was for a second. Apologies.

lunchwithyuzo said:
What about the GB to GBA timeframe (Just under 12 years) versus 3DS?
Harder to say, Gameboy doesn't really have a system to directly compare with on the console side the way we do GBA=SNES and so on. Maybe GameBoy Color=NES?

As for 3DS being Wii-level tech, this is getting old. It can do one graphical technique better tha the Wii (Xbox1-style plastic men). Other than that one things the Gamecube trumps it in every category, let alone the Wii. Mario Galaxy was demoed on the Wii at it's very first E3, we're never going to see a game on par with it for the 3DS.

airmangataosenai said:
Harder to say, Gameboy doesn't really have a system to directly compare with on the console side the way we do GBA=SNES and so on. Maybe GameBoy Color=NES?

As for 3DS being Wii-level tech, this is getting old. It can do one graphical technique better tha the Wii (Xbox1-style plastic men). Other than that one things the Gamecube trumps it in every category, let alone the Wii. Mario Galaxy was demoed on the Wii at it's very first E3, we're never going to see a game on par with it for the 3DS.
Are YOu so sure we'll never see a game on par with galaxy? We're only 9 months in and it seems games til now have been restricted in how much power they have available to them give it a year or 2 and galaxy will be handily trounced

Mpl90

Takao said:
Are you saying the Mario Kart sales are normal? lol

No, but that they could be even MORE insane.

One thing, Takao.

[PS1] Ore no Shikabane o Koete Yuke (SCE) - 34.919 / 137.559 / 25,38% 17/06/99

This is what I got in my Famitsu Database... where does the 400k come from? Is that from Media Create datas?

airmangataosenai said:

NES as a relative to GB seems pretty apt, they're actually closer in raw performance than GBA and SNES are. Moreso if you consider GBC.

3DS has some other hardware spec advantages over GC/Wii than just normal mapping (which Wii could do anyway btw). The memory increase alone is pretty notable (128MB 3DS, 88MB Wii, 43MB GC).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
twentytwo22 said:

Yeah and this personal vendetta is relevant for 3DS sales because ?

Chris1964 said:
Things don't look very hot for Ni no Kuni at first day, Modern Warfare 3 the top seller followed by One Piece.
As expected I guess, but too bad. I hope Ninokuni can still find it's footing and become a series.

Acosta

Magicpaint said:

hahahahaha

Jonnyram

You guys are waaaaaaay too serious.
Honestly, it's scary how many replies you can get just from going against the grain.
In the Nintendo lineage, DS and Wii were major revisions while 3DS and Wii U are minor revisions. That's the long and short of it, and you will see the results in the sales.
I'm not hating on Nintendo, just saying how I think it will pan out. Nintendo's golden years were GC and GBA SP for me, but everyone has their own favourite period.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Jonnyram said:
Honestly, it's scary how many replies you can get just from going against the grain.
In the Nintendo lineage, DS and Wii were major revisions while 3DS and Wii U are minor revisions. That's the long and short of it, and you will see the results in the sales.
I'm not hating on Nintendo, just saying how I think it will pan out. Nintendo's golden years were GC and GBA SP for me, but everyone has their own favourite period.

I'd say their golden years were the NES, SNES, and NDS period. :p I'm not sure about this period though, because I'm under the impression that the 3DS is like a NDS+, although I do hope it succeeds.

Mpl90

Jonnyram said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand this close everything, ladies and gentleman.

NINOKUNIIIIIIIIIIIIII NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Top Bottom