• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What has happened so far is that a big release causes 1 week of relatively high sales and then it just falls back down the next week. Very big problem since big releases are so far in between.

What metric are you using for big releases post-launch? Pikmin 3? 22k HW from 8k?

The bump last week was from bundling value (quasi price drop or as close as Nintendos willing to provide this year) not a big game release.

L Thammy

If Nintendo can manage to sell 5 - 6 Millions in Japan. Actually, i think is going to be a great success from Nintendo. Considering the Wii U position right now. So i think 10 - 15 K a Week. Is a good number, Without big releases, is a reasonable number.

I may have lost a litre of blood, but I think that's reasonable considering that I have been stabbed several times.

Ganondolf

It really isn't, though. 15k a week is around 780,000 a year. With a given console life of 5 years, that's around 3.9 million sold total in Japan.

That's downright nightmarish for Nintendo, at BEST. Anything under that (and we all know it's going to end up well under 15k a week on average from here until the end of its life without DRASTIC change from Nintendo) is downright scary.

this is true that's why I said under the circumstances. two weeks ago it was selling less than 2k and all they have done is release a bundle and wii u party. so I think its ok if it stabilises at 15k for the near future. once it has stabilised Nintendo can build (with more big games, price drop & more bundles).

Frillen

hes saying how the 3ds has never met a forecast

You have to look at raw numbers though, how much they've actually decreased the numbers. It went from 16 Million down to what, 4 million per year? Or was it even worse? They still cramp the PSP and the Vita together, which pretty much tells the whole story.

The problem with all this is that they should´ve done it years ago. It´s already too late for the WiiU now but WHEN they plan to release another console they Need to drastically increase their development capabilities.
Fixed that for you and yes, I agree.

Type-Zero

Not that many developers and publishers seem overly enthusiastic about Vita. Heck, Capcom and Square-Enix are pretending it doesn't exist in the hopes that it goes away.

If giving the Vita Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Monster Hunter Frontier G means they hope it goes away, what will they do if its here to stay?

Okay, I get that you love your Vita, and that's fine. I love mine, too. I think it's my favorite Sony system. That said, though, the thing is doing horribly, especially in handheld land, so what, exactly, are you laughing about?
About the bolded parts, because Nintendo decreased their worldwide 3DS projections. ;)

crinale

I believed more in Wii U recover than Vita, but the opposite is happening.

WiiU has virtually no support from Japanese third party devs, except for party games (like Taiko). To me it seems as if it is worse than Western dev support of WiiU :(
On the other hand Vita is getting decent support. Thanks to PhyreEngine I guess.

Coxy

It's gonna be real interesting to see the sellthrough % on LR after the hit they took on taking back copies of 13-2

Vita + Vita TV will sell like crazy this holiday. Just look at lineups

11/14 - God Eater 2
11/21 - Atelier Rorona remake
11/28 - Shin Sangoku Musou 7
12/19 - Shin Gundam Musou
12/26 - FFX/X-2 HD

SmokyDave

So you're saying the Vita is doing good numbers in Japan? You're saying Sony hasn't decreased Vita/PSP forecast 8 quarterly reports in a row? You live in a delusional world.
Okay, I get that you love your Vita, and that's fine. I love mine, too. I think it's my favorite Sony system. That said, though, the thing is doing horribly, especially in handheld land, so what, exactly, are you laughing about?
Asked...

hes saying how the 3ds has never met a forecast
...and answered.

(I should elaborate. I was laughing at Frillen calling the 3DS healthy platform and then in the next breath, using missed / revised targets to call the Vita an unhealthy platform).

I´m not so optimistic regarding this but we´ll see.
Man, come on. People were saying the same thing after the Gamecube. You can't honestly believe Wii U will be their last console.

Usually when people try to convince themselves of this, in my experience with folks, it's because this is what they WANT to happen as opposed to being based in any kind of reality.

Takao

Banned
Grand Theft Auto V hit 500k in Famitsu!

I feel like making a thread for that since it's a pretty big accomplishment for a western game to hit in a few weeks. I'm just not sure how I'd frame it. I guess with the sales totals for previous games?

Scum

Fixed that for you and yes, I agree.

I still say NoA & NoE should have been and still should be set up similarly to NCL, development teams' wise, anyway. Go global, set up a few small/medium sized studios there and get them to help out with game output. Not just in Japan, but in US and EU.
NCL just can't and shouldn't do it all on their own. They can't cope.

L Thammy

If giving the Vita Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Monster Hunter Frontier G means they hope it goes away, what will they do if its here to stay?

Maybe release an exclusive or two? Or games that aren't just ports of older titles?
Vita's had a fairly impressive recovery, but Square and Capcom have not ever shown interest.

Maedhros

Vita is getting better. Sony needs to keep pushing it hard in Japan. Paying for some big third party titles would be great.

Wii U was just as expected. I was actually expecting 10k or a bit less this week for it, considering it has nothing out interesting at all.

Man, come on. People were saying the same thing after the Gamecube. You can't honestly believe Wii U will be their last console.

Usually when people try to convince themselves of this, in my experience with folks, it's because this is what they WANT to happen as opposed to being based in any kind of reality.
Actually, I'd be surprised if ANYONE released a new dedicated console after this gen. I see more of a transition to other devices and streaming.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I see. We're attacking Vita the week before God Eater 2 are we. Marvelous.

AOC83

Banned

I don´t know who will be in charge of Nintendo a year from now and if the company as a whole sees a future in the console business (at least as a hardware manufacturer). So i will wait and see.

Ganondolf

I´m not so optimistic regarding this but we´ll see.

lol, even when the gamecube sold the least amount Nintendo still made the most profit.

the wii u will be making a nice profit by next year (not wii numbers).

a new console in 4 years is a def.

God Eater 2 can't get here fast enough.
GE2 and PS4 ALL WEEKEND LOOOONG.

Anyone have an idea how they will be tracking VitaTV? Will it track like any other hardware SKU?

I still say NoA & NoE should have been and still should be set up similarly to NCL, development teams' wise, anyway. Go global, set up a few small/medium sized studios there and get them to help out with game output. Not just in Japan, but in US and EU.
NCL just can't and shouldn't do it all on their own. They can't cope.
I think that's a great idea. I thought this is what would happen back in the day when Nintendo opened up NST staffed with Digipen students. Lockdown that talent and have them pumping out games in the West. But they just stopped there, and NST haven't been working on any big games anymore lately.

The Wii-U drop was larger than I anticipated, I guessed that it would hit 24-25k this week. Vita staying above 20k is good as they're keeping that momentum going into the release of the Playstation Vita TV and God Eater 2 combo.

Man next week can't come soon enough, curious to see if God Eater 2 can top the first in sales.

Ganondolf

Actually, I'd be surprised if ANYONE released a new dedicated console after this gen. I see more of a transition to other devices and streaming.

the ps4 and xb1 may be dedicated console but are really multimedia systems (especially xb1 which has windows 8 apps).

SmokyDave

So you ignored all the other posts? Lol, but please go on, live in a delusional world where the Vita is selling great.
When did I say it was selling great? I've edited the post you quoted to account for the comprehensionally-challenged, you should check it out.

Scum

I'm actually expecting a Streambox/WiiU TV and a Gamepad/New Gameboy combo, to be honest.

Top Bottom