• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

Kid Ying

Still baffled by 3D World preorders. Totally just... this is Japan right? Mario nuts, Sonic doesnt exist Japan, right~?

I'm interested in how One Piece is going to do. Its Comgnet lowness is also a concern, when this looks like a far better game than whats appeared on Nintendo systems before. The Hunting angle alone I thought would resonate.

PS3/Vita may just simply be where its audience mainly lies though, and if this title performs poorly I can see that being the takeaway.
Its hard to say about an one piece audience, since its so diverse and such a phenomenon.... I dont think theres a focus of it on any system. On one hand, theres more young people on the ps3, on the other, kids are more on the 3ds, and all of those guys love op.

Also, being a musou game also helped bring the people who simply love musou, just like with hokuto.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Thats the week after. Just God Eater next week, and then the week after we find out about LR, Mario and One Piece.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think LR is gonna do alright and definitely outsell Mario at this rate, which will be weird to see.

Lightning's cat costume is sexier after all!
B5rAeY9.jpg

nya~!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet chain stores comparison, as of November 16, 2013

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 610pt
[PS3] Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 270pt

[PS3] Gran Turismo 5 - 439pt
[PS3] Gran Turismo 6 - 88pt

[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai - 136pt + 25pt = 161pt
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f - 129pt
[PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 137pt
[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 - 68pt + 50pt = 118pt

[WII] Super Mario Galaxy - 148pt
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 192pt
[3DS] Super Mario 3D World - 182pt
[3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising - between 67pt and 84pt
[3DS] Luigi's Mansion 2 - between 168pt and 186pt
[WIIU] Pikmin 3 - 64pt
[WIIU] Super Mario 3D World - 43pt

[NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle - 95pt
[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP - 78pt (note: it accumulated a good amount of pts before a sudden delay; this influenced its total amount at the same amount of days before the release)
[NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle 2 - 85pt + 44pt = 129pt (note: in the end, it had a lower debut than Gigan Battle)
[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red - 41pt (note: it has two bundles coming out as well, and those are not counted by Comgnet; see Gundam Breaker and Wii Party U as recent examples of how this alterates Comgnet's perception)

Final note: as already said, looking at recent results, Comgnet's ratio between pts and actual sales has decreased overall, for many kind of software and brands, on all the consoles; i.e., there's an on-going trend where number of sales per pt are increasing. Obviously, this doesn't excuse giant differences like those for FF and, abvoe all, Mario.

duckroll

That comparison isn't looking good for Gran Turismo 6...what's happening there? :O

Nothing unexpected. Traditional racing games have been on serious decline in Japan for a while now. GT5 sold waaaaaaay less than the previous titles as it is, and I doubt the people who bought it are particularly excited for another entry on the same platform.

Pie and Beans

In general, Japan's traditional videogame market appears to be in a gigantic depression. I'm sure smartphone gaming has stolen away many a consumer and thats where a portion of money is going (look at Puzzle and Dragons on top of that COMGNET, LOOK AT IT AND WEEP), but its also because Japan botched this entire generation so badly that consumer wide apathy has taken hold.

Sony will have to engage in a bombastic shock and awe campaign to reignite console gaming in Japan. SE for instance shouldn't be thinking about another portable DQ with ho-hum graphics, but something that is going to blow everyones socks off and revitalise that market. Same with the rest of the industry over there still treading water. They have to go all in or just acquiesce to being smartphone developers I guess. Grim.

Nothing unexpected. Traditional racing games have been on serious decline in Japan for a while now. GT5 sold waaaaaaay less than the previous titles as it is, and I doubt the people who bought it are particularly excited for another entry on the same platform.
Yeah that's true; I hadn't thought of that. GT5 was a huge drop off from 4 which also sold less than 3. Really makes me wonder where this will settle at. GT5 was around 600k if I'm remembering right.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Next week will be interesting with Lighting Returns, God Eater 2 and VITA TV numbers.

And with the generation ending it'll be cool seeing that the best selling titles on PS3 are XIII, XIII-2 and LR. Dat Final Fantasy Dominance (and dat shrinking home console market!).

duckroll

And with the generation ending it'll be cool seeing that the best selling titles on PS3 are XIII, XIII-2 and LR. Dat Final Fantasy Dominance (and dat shrinking home console market!).

That's probably not going to happen. LR isn't on track to even be in the top10.

beril

Does anyone know if the eShop charts include download cards for retail games, or just games bought directly in the eShop? Looking at Pokemon it seems like it should be higher on the eShop chart if we attribute the difference between famitsu and MC to dl cards (obviously I realize there'd be some difference either way between the trackers).

Perfo

That's probably not going to happen. LR isn't on track to even be in the top10.

What's the current 3rd title in that list and how much it sold? I think LR can manage 500-600k life-time. Mus tbe higher than that then.

kswiston

What's the current 3rd title in that list and how much it sold? I think LR can manage 500-600k life-time. Mus tbe higher than that then.

If we aren't counting budget re-releases, Resident Evil 6 was over 800k on PS3. With re-releases, I think Resident Evil 5 passed 1M on PS3, and MGS4 was close.

duckroll

RE6 and One Piece Musou are both over 800k. MGS4 is over 700k. GT5 and Tales of Xillia are both over 600k. In order to even get to 10th place, it'll have to outsell Hokuto Musou which is at about 550k.

zroid

Banned
Does anyone know if the eShop charts include download cards for retail games, or just games bought directly in the eShop? Looking at Pokemon it seems like it should be higher on the eShop chart if we attribute the difference between famitsu and MC to dl cards (obviously I realize there'd be some difference either way between the trackers).

I'm pretty sure they include download code sales. Well, those which have been redeemed, anyway.

Perfo

If we aren't counting budget re-releases, Resident Evil 6 was over 800k on PS3. With re-releases, I think Resident Evil 5 passed 1M on PS3, and MGS4 was close.

Wait a sec. XIII and XIII-2 are the first two, so how's possible Re5 and MGS4 sold more than the second one yet are not part of the list?

RE6 and One Piece Musou are both over 800k. MGS4 is over 700k. GT5 and Tales of Xillia are both over 600k. In order to even get to 10th place, it'll have to outsell Hokuto Musou which is at about 550k.

Then XIII-2 how much sold to be above Re6xMusou? that said yes, LR can't top 800k probably. 500-600 are more realistic. I thought the third spot was around that amount of sales :p

kswiston

Wait a sec. XIII and XIII-2 are the first two, so how's possible Re5 and MGS4 sold more than the second one yet are not part of the list?

Those Media Create/Famitsu Top games lists usually do not count sales of re-releases, even if the re-release is the exact same game content under Japan's equivalent of the Greatest Hits lineup.

Metal Gear Solid 4 sold 706k copies at full price (not counting retailer discounts) and another ~200k at budget price under the Best label.

Resident Evil 5 re-releases on PS3 sold over 400k. I think I was wrong in my last post though. The game is over 1M with the sales of the 360 version. PS3 on its own, adding up the various re-releases is over 900k.

duckroll

Then XIII-2 how much sold to be above Re6xMusou? that said yes, LR can't top 800k probably. 500-600 are more realistic. I thought the third spot was around that amount of sales :p

XIII-2 is over 800k too. Famitsu numbers has it around 881k.

Which will sell more? LR or Mario 3D World? Lol.
In the long run, Mario will show its legs and outsell Lighting Returns. Otherwise, Lighting Returns is bound to get a good front loaded first week, and it should - after all the marketing and trailer Square released for it -_-

I think Lighting Returns is perhaps the first FF game that got so many trailers, news and updates every week.

Asd202

Next week will be interesting with Lighting Returns, God Eater 2 and VITA TV numbers.

LR is in 2 weeks also can't wait for that. What's intresting is that it seems like it first week will lower than 50% of XIII-2 first week which was also around 50% lower than the orginal FF XIII. Such huge drop-offs for each sequel...

I say looking at XIII and XIII-2 sales and the preorder data the realistic number for LR is 450k in lifetime.

Thorgal

Are you kidding? When preorders opened it sold out its first shipment at amazon immediately. That's all you need to know.

Well, to be fair , when people who are not regulars see the sellthrough numbers and see "only" 30% of their stock sold it could be interpreted as bad.

And Usually when a game only sells 30% , unless we know it was a big shipment people would cry Bomba on it .

So i can understand where the worry is coming from.

BriBri

There's eShop Charts and eShop Rankings. These both differ as the latest charts include games downloaded free as part of the recent promotion where-as the rankings do not.

As to your question, I contacted NOE about this but they didn't give an actual affirmative answer. I very much suspect that download cards are included in the All Bestsellers chart unless you have Gunman Story sales data that contradicts this (essentially you've sold more than both individually).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm curious what will sell more: LR:FFXIII of FFX Vita

BriBri

A question to those in Japan - is Daigasso! Band Brothers P getting a positive reception from players? I'm rather curious as there's very minimal initial content with additional content (100 songs free) rely upon an online connection. I've already google translated amazon reviews
lol

I'm really looking forward to Aikatsu and One Piece numbers.

beril

There's eShop Charts and eShop Rankings. These both differ as the latest charts include games downloaded free as part of the recent promotion where-as the rankings do not.

As to your question, I contacted NOE about this but they didn't give an actual affirmative answer. I very much suspect that download cards are included in the All Bestsellers chart unless you have Gunman Story sales data that contradicts this (essentially you've sold more than both individually).

From the eShop chart thread

3DS Alltime Charts (without VC & DSiWare, as of time posted)
17. Gunman Story
18. New Super Mario Bros 2
19. Denpa Ningen no RPG 3
20. Pokémon X

If we assume the DL card sales are Famitsu - MC (obviously we don't know how accurate either figure is, but still), that would put the combined at 333k, and at least 166k for X, not even including direct eShop sales. While I'm absolutely thrilled by Gunman Clives sales, it's not quite that high
yet

BriBri

If we assume the DL card sales are Famitsu - MC (obviously we don't know how accurate either figure is but still), that would put the combined at 333k, and at least 166k for X, not even including direct eShop sales. While I'm absolutely thrilled by Gunman Clives sales, it's not quite that high
yet
Also, the two Touch Battle Tanks have totalled 200,000 in sales (from a recent Silver Star press release) and are 12. and 13. respectively.

Mpl90

Well he's working with a bunch of Bamco guys currently, including Higuchi, and he's friend with Yoshizumi & all so he must want to play with them at God Eater 2... maybe !

God Eater characters in Smash Bros. confirmed!

They've also had a presence on a Nintendo console, recently...thank you, Proejct X Zone

duckroll

Monster Hunter remaster did pretty well and so did the KH HD remaster.

FF X is pretty popular in Japan. I expect at least 500k for both VITA and PS3 combined LTD.

I just don't see it. Monster Hunter couldn't get 500k. KH did like 221k? I mean that's not bad for what it is, but that's sort of my point. HD remasters in general aren't very exciting in the Japanese market. FFX is popular, but that doesn't mean a large number of the audience are really interested in playing it again.

Yanikun

Banned
I'm curious how Gaf thinks the PS4 is going to perform in Japan. Sony's first-party output is almost irrelevant and the big Japanese franchises aren't gonna come out every month. Not sure how niche games are supposed to carry the system.

I just don't see it. Monster Hunter couldn't get 500k. KH did like 221k? I mean that's not bad for what it is, but that's sort of my point. HD remasters in general aren't very exciting in the Japanese market. FFX is popular, but that doesn't mean a large number of the audience are really interested in playing it again.
Monster Hunter is more of a portable series, remember? It just can't do well on a console as it can on a handheld.

KH is nowhere the popularity of FF but it still did pretty decent. 200k+ is still a good number for that game in Japan.

FF X HD should at least sell somewhere between 400k to 500k and like Shinro said, LR is going to sell less than this.

Mpl90

Sakurai buys everything, lol

If he were the president of Nintendo, he would. Dun dun duuuuun.

But what happened with his past experience back in Meteos days still heavily holds me from betting on him as having a much bigger management role in the company :lol

duckroll

FF X HD should at least sell somewhere between 400k to 500k and like Shinro said, LR is going to sell less than this.

If there were really that much interest in the product in Japan, I think we would see stronger pre-orders by now. It seems generally pretty ho-hum, and I don't think S-E is expecting that much either. It's interesting for example, that on Comgnet, pre-orders for Drag-on Dragoon 3 are ahead of FFX, both being Dec S-E titles.

I don't think there's much evidence so far for the "FFX was really popular on the PS2, therefore a HD Remaster will definitely sell much much more" logic. The package itself is a really good deal since it includes two games though. Personally I expect it to sell in the same 200-300k range as KH did, because I think that's the same hardcore S-E audience who are interested in buying a re-release. They're a dying breed in Japan these days.

Top Bottom