• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

Omg, Nintendo. what the fuck are you doing?
26k drop?
Well, yeah I don't know what to say.

Well they targeting at casuals and casuals aren't loyal to Nintendo. It's just logical that it drops so hard, there aren't many casuals who buy a Wii U, they are happy with their smartphones and their excisting Wii.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Laughed about it when it was announced, but at this point i would be surprised if PvDZ doesnt sell a million in Japan.

Aquamarine are you sure those Comgnet/Tsutaya points are based on data from this many shops ?

I remeber some talk that they might only represent online sales for both of them.

Tsutaya has a separate ranking list for sales from their online store:

http://shop.tsutaya.co.jp/game/rank.html

...This list includes online preorders at their shop that will be sent later, and it updates every hour.

In comparison, the list presenting sales at their physical stores updates only once every week:

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html

Tsutaya states that their rankings are based on "over-the-counter retail" sales and rental data, so I have no reason to suspect that it's only based on some of Tsutaya's stores (or their online store), unless evidence is shown otherwise.

Lexxism

Are we expecting Vita to be the best-selling hardware this week?

I'm under the impression that Vita TV sold really well. Famitsu will probably release something tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure Vita will be the best selling hardware this week with the addition of Vita TV. Also, I'm curious to see if the Vita(not including Vita TV) will outsell 3DS.

Shengar

People for sure play games on their commute. Its talking on a phone while on the train/bus is what you're not supposed to do.
Oh yeah, it's talking that you're not supposed to do, not just a simple slated out of your phone in public lol

So far we haven't seen any of that in the works and there's no reason to believe it will happen.

It's highly unlikely, but still possible to happened. I don't think Square could make it with their current vision for the company, so I guess that leave us with SCEJ original JRPG project or other unknown project by other company. I think SE is time of the past, and now is for other to rise in its place?

I'm pretty sure Vita will be the best selling hardware this week with the addition of Vita TV. Also, I'm curious to see if the Vita(not including Vita TV) will outsell 3DS.

I really doubt the Vita alone will outsell the 3ds, but that would really show some healthy signs for the Vita.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
3 days away from release and thats all its at. Are COMG stores running some "IF YOU BUY MARIO WE'LL KILL YER NAN" campaign?

3 days away from release and thats all its at. Are COMG stores running some "IF YOU BUY MARIO WE'LL KILL YER NAN" campaign?
Didn't we discuss this already, like multiple times?

It's going to be the worst selling Mario 3D, but it will sell well for a Wii U game.

i6DCaImKpRY3z.gif

Yanikun

Banned
I really doubt the Vita alone will outsell the 3ds, but that would really show some healthy signs for the Vita.

The Vita outselling the 3DS when there is a big software release is not unprecedented. God Eater 2 is the biggest game the Vita's ever gotten.
Ever.

Takao

Banned
The Vita outselling the 3DS when there is a big software release is not unprecedented. God Eater 2 is the biggest game the Vita's ever gotten.
Ever.

You don't think an exclusive Phantasy Star game is bigger?

[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable - 341.700 / 671.079
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (PSP the Best) - 3194 / 25.159
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 286.896 / 589.933
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP the Best) - 2449 / 30.228
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity - 206.654 / 393.641

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ever.

Have to keep in mind it's also coming out on the psp and most of the evidence I've seen (preorders and sell through) hint they're selling about the same. Assuming a 400k opening that would be about 200k first which isn't really a siginificant bump over the Vita's last biggest seller. It's also nearing Christmas where Nintendo product tend to get a bump anyway.

If the Vita does outsell the 3ds I see it more likely beng due to Vita tv than God eater 2. Software alone has never increased the Vita's sales that much Soul sacrifice needed a price cut and probably wouldn't have done it without it.

Yanikun

Banned
You don't think an exclusive Phantasy Star game is bigger?

[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable - 341.700 / 671.079
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (PSP the Best) - 3194 / 25.159
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 286.896 / 589.933
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP the Best) - 2449 / 30.228
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity - 206.654 / 393.641

I guess, but it hasn't gotten one, just a PC port of a weak f2p game. So GE2 is the biggest game the Vita's ever gotten.

Have to keep in mind it's also coming out on the psp and most of the evidence I've seen (preorders and sell through) hint they're selling about the same. Assuming a 400k opening that would be about 200k first which isn't really a siginificant bump over the Vita's last biggest seller.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the biggest first week for a Vita game ever is Persona at 137,076. I expect GE2 (just Vita version) to be between 240 and 300k first week. I would consider it a major bomb if GE2 doesn't make this the Vita's biggest software week by a country mile.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I guess, but it hasn't gotten one, just a PC port of a weak f2p game. So GE2 is the biggest game the Vita's ever gotten.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the biggest first week for a Vita game ever is Persona at 137,076. I expect GE2 (just Vita version) to be between 240 and 300k first week. I would consider it a major bomb if GE2 doesn't make this the Vita's biggest software week by a country mile.

Was talking more about the low 200k which while around 60k is reasonable and alone beat some bases first week it's not that massive. If it reaches high 200k to around 300k than I'd say that's a more significant bump.

Also don't know specifically the best opening but's between 100k-200k I think.

Kid Ying

I think the biggest opening for a vita game is Project Diva, right?

Also, im very anxious for wednesday. Not for numbers, but because Taiko is going to be released. Man... I missed that felling of a new Taiko. I know it will sell 30k at best on its opening, but heres hoping for good legs of the biggest third party game on the wiiu. :)

Yanikun

Banned

I'm aware of that game, but what does it have to do with Vita's released software up to GE2? Nova isn't out. "God Eater 2 is the biggest game the Vita's ever gotten" is what I said, in relation to the chances of the Vita itself outselling the 3DS this week. Nova is irrelevant.

I think the biggest opening for a vita game is Project Diva, right?

You're right, my bad. I have Hatsune Miku at 158,009. Still significantly lower than what I think the Gaf consensus for GE2's first week is.

iNWS1kWBQnSBU.gif

That "weak" F2P MMO received over 600,000 downloads on Vita and is probably why PSN exists.

You said Phantasy Star exclusive. PSO2 is not exclusive.

Also, 600,000 downloads is not a huge number when we're talking about a FREE-TO-PLAY game. It's free. There's a difference between selling 600,000 of free stuff and selling 250,000 of full-priced software.

Takao

Banned
Phantasy Star NOVA is exclusive. I took your initial comment to be that God Eater 2 would be the biggest game Vita would ever get. My mistake.

Oh, and 600k (with ~100k sold at retail) is pretty damn good for a port of some weak F2P MMO, hah.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Phantasy Star NOVA is exclusive. I took your initial comment to be that God Eater 2 would be the biggest game Vita would ever get. My mistake.

Oh, and 600k (with ~100k sold at retail) is pretty damn good for a port of some weak F2P MMO, hah.

TBF it is a f2p game, many of those get a few million downloads simply because it's free and people have heard of it,, though the Japan alone is quite impressive.

Ty4on

If the Vita does outsell the 3ds I see it more likely beng due to Vita tv than God eater 2. Software alone has never increased the Vita's sales that much Soul sacrifice needed a price cut and probably wouldn't have done it without it.

The Vita sold 8k the week before Soul Sacrifice. I'll be surprised if it doesn't beat the 3DS alone (without counting Vita TV). I have no idea what Vita TV will sell, but considering it is technically new HW less than 100k seems low. I just feel like it is in a good spot :p

The Vita sold 8k the week before Soul Sacrifice. I'll be surprised if it doesn't beat the 3DS alone (without counting Vita TV). I have no idea what Vita TV will sell, but considering it is technically new HW less than 100k seems low. I just feel like it is in a good spot :p

it sold 60k the week before ss, ss was the second week of price cut.

better examples would be 10k up to 50k for hatsune miku week, 13k up to 34k on p4g week (no hardware bundle), 13k up to 31k on toukiden week.

God eater is bigger than those games, however there is also somewhat of an already established base for the type of game it is. I think 60k for the base vita would be on the low end for this week

edit: seems that guy posted some extra first day sellthrough after the other ones

WiiU cod ghosts and 3ds winning 11 both around 10%

That limited edition Fenrir Vita was quite popular on amazon ;) but unless 3DS dropped to 60k territory there's no much chance for Vita alone to outsell 3DS.

Now Vita TV+Vita have good chance of this happening.

Also while GE is technically bigger than PSP - GE2 will have sales split beetween PSP and PSV owners so Vita exclusive should sell better on Vita

Foshy

Just from one store? Wait a second what am I missing here... Why are people giving it such a big credit here?
Because these numbers have often shown to be more or less representative of total sales. Not perfectly accurate of course, but it's something.

Into

Just from one store? Wait a second what am I missing here... Why are people giving it such a big credit here?

They give a good estimate, better than say Amazon charts or any other charts on how something will do.

Like pooling several thousand voters in a state before a political election, its not perfect, but it gives you a good estimate. More often than not, they give a very good estimate. Casting a vote and pre ordering a game are not the same things but similar methods to gauge interest are used.

Historically they have been rather consistent so people use it.

Oemenia

Banned
Are finally seeing that massive PSP userbase moving to the Vita? Who knows maybe its better that the system built up its third-party rep without Monster Hunter, that way the Vita isn't just another casual system.

lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What is your first week prediction

Hmmm. 160k?

This COMGNET stuff is fucking with me too much, but I do remember declaring the Nintendapocalypse if 3D World only manages around Pikmin 3's 100k debut because thats just way too weak. I guess another question is what will people find to be a respectable hardware bump of that week? Bundle did 40k so 3D Mario might do... 30k like with Pikmin again?

Sendou

Because these numbers have often shown to be more or less representative of total sales. Not perfectly accurate of course, but it's something.

They give a good estimate, better than say Amazon charts or any other charts on how something will do.

Like pooling several thousand voters in a state before a political election, its not perfect, but it gives you a good estimate. More often than not, they give a very good estimate. Casting a vote and pre ordering a game are not the same things but similar methods to gauge interest are used.

Historically they have been rather consistent so people use it.

Alright then. How big of a store are we talking about here?

Into

One could theorize that 3D World is a game that will appeal to a more casual crowd that is more apprehensive about pre ordering a game and needing to have it, day 1, 00:01 clock, devour the game like a starved man in a desert would devour a piece of chicken.

I have no solid argument for why that would be, just the nature of Mario games, the fanbase never struck me as hardcore, analyzing Mario timelines, drawing him in Deviant Art and writing fan fiction. Zelda has hardcore fans who have analyzed every stitch of Link's green tunics, i dont think the fanbase for Mario is as hardcore/nerdy.

The game regardless of initial week will have stronger legs than most games, but yea its very likely it will be the worst selling 3D Mario ever. Sunshine is out of reach

Top Bottom