• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2012 (Nov 12 - Nov 18)

Takao

Banned
Best versions tend to be slow burns. I expect the weekly sales will increase close to Christmas, too.

It's also a bit more difficult to compare. MHP3rd sold millions before the budget release so one would have to expect some people who waited to pick up MHP2nd G may have been early buyers. 3G having sold much less, likely still has some demand left to be met.

omonimo

Banned
PS3 | 17.035 | 18.043 | 41.069 |

Yeah sony rise the price, see how more revenue compared the last year.... meh. pspgo case has been forgot too fast.

HAHA there's always something to talk about. for example:

Media Create

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 13.236 / NEW
[PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990) - 14.924 / NEW

Famitsu

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 14.963
[PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990) - 15.113 / NEW

MH3U did quite well!

Famitsu is reporting combined numbers for MH3U Best Price and MH3U XL Bundle.

Thx Sammy

It looks quite good, considering the massive difference in audience when comparing both games in their respective launch time.

Best versions tend to be slow burns. I expect the weekly sales will increase close to Christmas, too.

It astounds me that the Japanese Market does allow for reprints to be so successfull, or is that just Monster Hunter?

Bruno MB

01./01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 315.317 / 1.037.103 (-56%)

What a monster!

If Animal Crossing: New Leaf had been released a month later, 3DS would have had a chance to have a bigger holiday season than last year.

Takao

Banned

Yeah sony rise the price, see how more revenue compared the last year.... meh. pspgo case has been forgot too fast.

Even if there had been a price drop sales wouldn't have topped last year. PS3 has a new competitor releasing next month, and its' software library is reaching the point where we're seeing sequels to sequels. You probably already own a PS3 if you want Resident Evil 6, Tales of whateva, and Yakuza 5.

It astounds me that the Japanese Market does allow for reprints to be so successfull, or is that just Monster Hunter?

Popular games do well with budget releases (shocking news), as do games that may have not initially performed strongly but acheived high acclaim and good word of mouth.

test_account

XP-39C²

Yeah sony rise the price, see how many revenue compared the last year.... meh. pspgo case has been forgot too fast.
There wasnt any price increase in Japan, the PS3 is still 25k yen.

It looks quite good, considering the massive difference in audience when comparing both games in their respective launch time.
In comparison, MHP3rd had sold about 3 million more copies than MHTRiG when both best version were released. I wonder why so many people who bought MHP3rd skipped on MHTriG.

omonimo

Banned
There wasnt any price increase in Japan, the PS3 is still 25k yen.

In comparison, MHP3rd had sold about 3 million more copies than MHTRiG when both best version were released.

Technically wasn't a price increase, but yes it is increased in the base model compared the similar previous models.

Takao

Banned
In comparison, MHP3rd had sold about 3 million more copies than MHTRiG when both best version were released. I wonder why so many people who bought MHP3rd skipped on MHTriG.

Because 3G was released on a platform with a much smaller userbase, and the game itself was based on a game a million people in Japan already played?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Because 3G was released on a platform with a much smaller userbase, and the game itself was based on a game a million people in Japan already played?

This! Plus, I think that PSP peaks will be hardly repeatable (as for other record-setter in Japan last gen on DS and Wii for example)

Peru

Not to mention Portable 3rd is also based on that game, so every conceivable Monster Hunter fan had already played the base game and yet 3G still sells tons and pushes systems. It's performed above and beyond any estimate.

Dem 3DS sales. Dat Vita colour effect.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the mystery there. MH4 is the one with the capacity to bring in a lot more of that MHP3rd crowd.

test_account

XP-39C²
I feel that the smaller userbase isnt that relevant now concidering the strong weekly sales (unless that millions of MH fans still havnt bought a 3DS). The latter about many people who have played the previous game is probably a bigger factor indeed.

Takao

Banned
Not to mention Portable 3rd is also based on that game, so every conceivable Monster Hunter fan had already played the base game and yet 3G still sells tons and pushes systems. It's performed above and beyond any estimate.

Portable 3rd actually isn't really based on Tri from what I've been told. There may be some of the same monsters, and stuff but it has less in common with Tri than Tri G does.

I feel that the smaller userbase isnt that relevant now concidering the strong weekly sales (unless that millions of MH fans still havnt bought a 3DS). The latter about many people who have played the previous game is probably a bigger factor indeed.

Well, MH4's existence has now been advertised to the masses. I imagine most people may be waiting for that.

hiska-kun

I can't digest the numbers until they are presented in graph or pac-man form.
001.gif

omonimo

Banned
It is safe then, concidering that there excist millions of colors :)

How do you mean? The previous base model was the 160GB model i think. Now the new basemode is the 250GB, both were/are 25k yen.

Uh I don't knew 250GB has the same price of the previous 160 MB, isn't it the same price of the euroland? This what I have understand looking the TGS conference.

Vinnk

Japanese gaf- any Wii U hype yet?

I have been seeing a few ads for it in prime time and some of the students are talking about it (or more accurately the new super Mario game for it). Also the game stores are putting out some promo stuff, but it still doesn't feel like where it should be for a console about to launch. Compared to the hype for the Wii this is really subdued.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

there is also the Wii U episode incoming, and the 4th episode already announced for next week on the same console.
Previously, when MHTriG was releasd, 3DS didn't have the userbase to do better than this, then with the 3DS increasing its positioning in Japan MHTriG hang really well in the chart for an old title, and now that it is really BIG in Japan there are these factors to be considered.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I have been seeing a few ads for it in prime time and some of the students are talking about it (or more accurately the new super Mario game for it). Also the game stores are putting out some promo stuff, but it still doesn't feel like where it should be for a console about to launch. Compared to the hype for the Wii this is really subdued.

Thanks. Still over 2 weeks to go, but just going off of my checks of online retailers the system still seems to be in stock sporadically, and I know DCharlie said a few weeks ago you could still preorder the system.

Will be interesting..

schuelma

I start to believe now there is a possibilitty Vita to have a worse December than Wii.

That would be nuts. Seems like the (presumably) last Taiko Drum game is going to do well for Wii..could be interesting.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, MH4's existence has now been advertised to the masses. I imagine most people may be waiting for that.
there is also the Wii U episode incoming, and the 4th episode already announced for next week on the same console.
Previously, when MHTriG was releasd, 3DS didn't have the userbase to do better than this, then with the 3DS increasing its positioning in Japan MHTriG hang really well in the chart for an old title, and now that it is really BIG in Japan there are these factors to be considered.
Yeah, these are probably the biggest reasons indeed.

Uh I don't knew 250GB has the same price of the previous 160 MB, isn't it the same price of the euroland? This what I have understand looking the TGS conference.
I dont remember what was said at the TGS conference, but both the 160GB and the 250GB model have a retail price of 25k yen (or 24,980 yen to be precise).

Vinnk

Thanks. Still over 2 weeks to go, but just going off of my checks of online retailers the system still seems to be in stock sporadically, and I know DCharlie said a few weeks ago you could still preorder the system.

Will be interesting..

I didn't get to any shops this week so I don't know, but they were still taking pre-orders in my town last week.

I know I sound pessimistic but I do think the WiiU will do well here in the long run (MohHon, DQX, Mario), but right now it doesn't look like it's going to hit the ground running right out of the gate. I'm not sure why Nintendo is letting this happen. They don't seem to be even trying. Arrogance? Apathy? Knowing there will be heavy supply constraints? I just don't know.

DrWong

Just for the fun, just received a tweet from Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex anime director and the just released RE Cyborg 009 movie) with this pic >
A8OgddhCAAAw6_c.jpg

schuelma

I know I sound pessimistic but I do think the WiiU will do well here in the long run (MohHon, DQX, Mario), but right now it doesn't look like it's going to hit the ground running right out of the gate. I'm not sure why Nintendo is letting this happen. They don't seem to be even trying. Arrogance? Apathy? Knowing there will be heavy supply constraints? I just don't know.

In the US they seemed to follow the Wii ad push very closely timing wise- do you have any recollection on how much earlier Nintendo started advertising the Wii back in 2006? It really seems to me that Nintendo really pushes products late in Japan for some reason.

I really cannot imagine a unsuccessful launch even with the late ad push, but God knows I have been wrong before.

Cipherr

Pokemon Dungeon will easily pull a million. Not only is it the second Pokemon spin off on the system (and the first as part of an established retail franchise), it's the first retail game to use the 3D models on a handheld, and it's out for holidays.

I would wager it would do around 400k LTD or so. I wouldnt expect it to do a million.

The 3DS is really destroying everything, is it possible that it will destroy even the WIIU?

Thats a given, saleswise at least. Whatever WiiU does lifetime, it will still be dwarfed by the 3DS.

3DS will be huge in a month.

Very nice for the Ass'Creed franchise. This gen have seen some good success for a few western Ips. Just Dance, Halo, even CoD and now Ass'Creed charted in the top 10.

Battlefield 3 and Uncharted 3 also opened with over 100k first week sales. Western games definitely sell nowadays lot better in japan than they did in the past. Growth will probably continue next gen.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I didn't get to any shops this week so I don't know, but they were still taking pre-orders in my town last week.

I don't want to sound optimistic at all (I have doubts about possibile Wii U success) but we should also consider how Nintendo's typical target is not so focused on pre-order or pre-hype.
It's something we could also see in the relationship between Comgnet/actual sales numbers for example.

Software wise Wii will destroy Vita. Hardware I doubt too though.

Ah, software wise I agree. I intended hardware wise.

RpgN

The 3DS is really destroying everything, is it possible that it will destroy even the WIIU?

Isn't that pretty much a given? I'd imagine it's going to be just like ds with the wii. The wii performs well for a while or even impressive at times, but the ds always sold so well consistently and is just way more popular in Japan. The wii drops more easily and doesn't stay consistent. I'm really happy the 3DS is following similar patterns in Japan, if things keep up and we see it perform better in western regions, then we'll at least still have a safe haven for Japanese games and RPGs.

Even though it is nice to be assured when it comes to this, I really hope the vita pulls things through. The PSP was an excellent device to own next to the DS, a lot of unique and more powerful games were possible on it. I'm hoping the same will apply for the vita. It would be great to have console quality games along with good ports if you're planning on becoming a handheld only owner.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wow... I didn't notice how close the PSP is coming to the sales of the PS2. It won't reach it, but still.

I would wager it would do around 400k LTD or so. I wouldnt expect it to do a million.

I'm almost certain that the third version of the last round of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon did better than that, never mind the first two.

400K would be an absolute crash for the series. Hell, "just" a million would be a bit of a decline.

Just for the fun, just received a tweet from Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex anime director and the just released RE Cyborg 009 movie) with this pic >

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8OgddhCAAAw6_c.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Many celebs are playing Animal Crossing.

Alrus

That's incredibly low you know. The last DS iteration did 1.5 mil and added another 450k+ with the third version. Granted the 3DS doesn't have a mainline Pokemon game yet so there's probably a big chunk of the audience missing. I still expect it to do much better than 400k, that would be a massive (relatively) bomb for the series.

Road

I'm almost certain that the third version of the last round of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon did better than that, never mind the first two.

400K would be an absolute crash for the series. Hell, "just" a million would be a bit of a decline.

But no Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game has sold over 1 million:

[GBA] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (Pokemon Co.) {2005.11.17} - 112,898 / 718,129
[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (Pokemon Co.) {2005.11.17} - 123,556 / 743,990
[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (Pokemon Co.) {2007.09.13} - 300,295 / 804,118
[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (Pokemon Co.) {2007.09.13} - 268,593 / 709,844
[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon Co.) {2009.04.18} - 141,771 / 414,000

=P

That's incredibly low you know. The last DS iteration did 1.5 mil and added another 450k+ with the third version. Granted the 3DS doesn't have a mainline Pokemon game yet so there's probably a big chunk of the audience missing. I still expect it to do much better than 400k, that would be a massive (relatively) bomb for the series.
The first pokemon mystery dungeon released before the first mainline pokemon released and sold 1.4 million. I'd say it's likely for PMD yo reach at least a million

Top Bottom