• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2012 (Nov 12 - Nov 18)

When did those cute little animals become such monsters? Excellent 3DS hold.

The last time an AC title released on a handheld? AC has always been a monster series.

Maybe sony was right, maybe we should wait until Christmas.

All jokes aside, I had no idea how much Japan hates single colored handhelds.

This will be the Vita's second Christmas.

Wow.....

Wii U is going to completely devastate when it releases there.

The WiiU's biggest competition is the 3DS.

Shocked that people are applauding the Vita sales this week. They're still poor, especially when you're considering the new colors. Heck, there is still only ONE Vita title in the software list...I have no idea how this is construed as good news.

OTOH, the 3DS continues to be in beast mode. Japan is becoming a handheld country, specifically a Nintendo handheld country. I don't think the WiiU can compete with the 3DS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
OTOH, the 3DS continues to be in beast mode. Japan is becoming a handheld country, specifically a Nintendo handheld country. I don't think the WiiU can compete with the 3DS.

This is all extremely speculative, but after playing around with the Wii U gamepad for 3 days I truly believe it was aimed first and foremost at Japan. I find myself rarely looking at the TV screen right now. I'm not sure how successful it will be, but I do think Nintendo is trying to adapt to the mentality in Japan.

Culex

Banned
3DS did 1,725,046 during the last respective weeks in 2011.

So if we follow the exact same figures, 3DS will end at 5,701,297...not bad for the 2nd year! The DS sold 4,151,356 in it's 2nd year in 2005. 3DS is already outpacing last year's Nov figures. The hard part will be weeks 50-52:

Think it'll match those?

Izayoi

Banned
Shocked that people are applauding the Vita sales this week. They're still poor, especially when you're considering the new colors. Heck, there is still only ONE Vita title in the software list...I have no idea how this is construed as good news.
Let us cling to hope. ;_;

So if we follow the exact same figures, 3DS will end at 5,701,297...not bad for the 2nd year! The DS sold 4,151,356 in it's 2nd year in 2005. 3DS is already outpacing last year's Nov figures. The hard part will be weeks 50-52:

Think it'll match those?

Depends really if it was the launching of the trinity or shinny latest Nintendo hardware at Xmas that caused the vast hardware figures

Yeah, there's no way. It will do well, but it won't even touch those numbers.

It may not have the massive games launching in December but it does have a much wider catalogue of games coupled with a choice of 2 models (and a vast selection of colours) and a few decent releases in December to help it on its way, by no means is it a foregone conclusion but there's definitely a good shot at matching or maybe even beating last December

Alrus

I don't think so, this year line-up seems to me to be not as much strong overall than last year's.

Heh, it doesn't have the crazy seller last year's had but the lineup is still pretty decent and varied, the numbers shouldn't be that far off from last year actually.

Oersted

Heh, it doesn't have the crazy seller last year's had but the lineup is still pretty decent and varied, the numbers shouldn't be that far off from last year actually.

Animal Crossing is a crazy seller, Bravely Default has strong legs, last year Monster Hunter 4 and DQ 7 wasn´t announced, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney will be released on November 29th, E.X. Troopers will be released today, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon will be released tomorrow ...

Izayoi

Banned
Animal Crossing is a crazy seller, Bravely Default has strong legs, last year Monster Hunter 4 and DQ 7 wasn´t announced, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney will be released on November 29th, E.X. Troopers will be released today, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon will be released tomorrow ...
It would be awesome if you were right, but I seriously doubt anything (sans maybe Pokemon Gen VI) will be able to have the kind of pull that the Trinity did.

It would be awesome if you were right, but I seriously doubt anything (sans maybe Pokemon Gen VI) will be able to have the kind of pull that the Trinity did.

3ds games that will be selling this holidays:
Mario 3d land
Mario kart
Monster hunter 3g
Nsmb2
IE go 2
PL vs AA
Animal crossing
Fantasy life
Pokemon MD
Paper mario

Maybe:
Bravely default
Ex troopers
Run for the money

Have I forgot anything?

Alrus

3ds games that will be selling this holidays:
Mario 3d land
Mario kart
Monster hunter 3g
Nsmb2
IE go 2
PL vs AA
Animal crossing
Fantasy life
Pokemon MD
Paper mario

Maybe:
Bravely default
Ex troopers
Run for the money

Have I forgot anything?

You really expect Fantasy life to be anything significant? It's releasing right next to AC and Konami's AC clone series, as much as the game looks nice and I want it to do well, it's going to bomb imo...

You really expect Fantasy life to be anything significant? It's releasing right next to AC and Konami's AC clone series, as much as the game looks nice and I want it to do well, it's going to bomb imo...

Don't expect it to be a big hit but could see it easily managing 200k

Kandinsky

Is PASBR coming this year in Japan as well? I have high hopes for it if it makes it before christmas, would be cool if it was Vita exvlusive over there :/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I doubt Fantasy Life will contribute much to this year, I think the game it-self could go either way and if it does do well I think it'll be over time to a ~200k-300k LTD. Konami's Animal Crossing clone should do just as well, if not better, and it comes out the week before so Level 5 have their work cut out for them marketing all these games this holiday.

I'm glad out of all Level 5's games that Layton vs. Wright is coming out first since it's the one I'm looking forward to, I'm hoping it'll do very well.

Edit: Beaten to the punch about Fantasy Life!

Alrus

Is PASBR coming this year in Japan as well? I have high hopes for it if it makes it before christmas, would be cool if it was Vita exvlusive over there :/

Nope, coming on January 31st afaik. And I really doubt it'll do well.

edit: beaten.

hongcha

It's #2 on Famitsu's readers most wanted list.

AniHawk

The degree to which Soul Sacrifice would have to do something to make this a two-horse race is not something that is possible for just one game.

Even if it spawns a ton of imitators, they'd be in the oven for another year at least.

i'm just talking about the system as a living thing. any idea of competition went out the window a long time ago.

i'm just talking about the system as a living thing. any idea of competition went out the window a long time ago.

Soul sacrifice won't inject any sign of life into vita ani, at best it might give a slight one week bump to hardware and might sell a decent amount to existing owners but it ain't reviving the system in any way shape or form, its deader than john cleese's parrot

Alrus

I don't see why Soul Sacrifice is mentioned so often as a "Vita savior", it's a new IP releasing at a time where the competition gets one of its biggest game ever, and it's on a system that will be selling in at best before it releases. I don't see it doing anything amazing, even relative to other Vita titles.

Its also been pretty consistently on the Amazon chart for a long time (one of the few 3ds games that have)

The game isn't even in the top 60 on Amazon... And I though Famitsu most wanted list didn't mean jack?

Anyway I'll be happily surprised if it doesn't bomb, we'll see I guess.

I don't see why Soul Sacrifice is mentioned so often as a "Vita savior", it's a new IP releasing at a time where the competition gets one of its biggest game ever, and it's on a system that will be selling in at best before it releases. I don't see it doing anything amazing, even relative to other Vita title.

The game isn't even in the top 60 on Amazon... And I though Famitsu most wanted list didn't mean jack?

Anyway I'll be happily surprised if it doesn't bomb, we'll see I guess.

Maybe not in the top 60 but its been in in top 100 for several week possibly even a couple of months

beril

I believe Soul Sacrifice will have the best debut for a PS Vita game, but it's not a game to save the platform.

I haven't really followed the game at all but I really doubt that. The highest debuts are Miku and P4, at 150k+. It's quite rare for a new IP to do numbers like that even on healthy platforms with a decent install base.

the 3ds sure is becoming the dominant player in japan. if soul sacrifice doesn't do anything, then i think we can call this a day. good sales for the vita though. shows that people are really starved for exclusive content on the machine.

I like how a few people quoted you and didn't realize... it was you. Shows why you are the best at what you do.

LOCK

Think it'll match those?
I think it will at least match those numbers, and it really depends on the WOM that AC and other games have developed over the past few months.
I don't think so, this year line-up seems to me to be not as much strong overall than last year's.

Though AC seems to be an even bigger title than any one of the trinity, this year has more titles with mid-level success, which will appeal to an even broader audience. How broad is the unknown at this point.

smbu2000

I can't believe Bravely Default sold that little. It's still sold out most places I look.

Animal Crossing is also findable, but sold out most places I've been to today. Download cards sold out everywhere around me. Those were a stroke of genius by Nintendo for the Japanese market.

Amazing that the 3DS is still selling so well...... BUT (or and?) it's at a quarter of DS sales. I wonder how it'll do in comparison.

I hope Layton vs AA does well next week. Bloody 6000 yen download price.
Still sold out? I've seen BD easily available now for the past 2 weeks or so around my city. I'd imagine that the e-shop availability has helped to get the game in more people's hands and has slightly tempered the demand for it at retail now. Hopefully it picks up more during the holidays.

AC on the other hand, I haven't seen a copy of that since the second day of release. Whenever a store gets restocked it must sell out quickly, I guess. I did finally see some of the DL AC cards at a 7-11. The game/electronics stores that I've been to don't have them in stock either.

urfe

Still sold out? I've seen BD easily available now for the past 2 weeks or so around my city. I'd imagine that the e-shop availability has helped to get the game in more people's hands and has slightly tempered the demand for it at retail now. Hopefully it picks up more during the holidays.

AC on the other hand, I haven't seen a copy of that since the second day of release. Whenever a store gets restocked it must sell out quickly, I guess. I did finally see some of the DL AC cards at a 7-11. The game/electronics stores that I've been to don't have them in stock either.

I've seen it used quite a bit I guess I should say, but still sold out new everywhere.

I think BD has done well, but I thought there was a slight chance for doing a lot better.

hiska-kun

Sales Age Gafers, I want to hear your opinions:

Media Create:

01./01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 290.280 / 893.344 (-52%)

Famitsu:

01./01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 315.317 / 1.037.103 (-56%)

Media Create:

03./05. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 41.658 / 1.385.212 (+79%)

Famitsu:

03./05. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 37.802 / 1.384.844 (+101%)

So, what happens here? Choose an option:

1. Famitsu just isn't tracking NSMB 2 download cards.
2. Famitsu tracks all download cards, and it's just another discrepance between Famitsu and Media Create.
3. Famitsu doesn't track any download card, and the discrepance between the trackers is Animal Crossing.
4. No sales for NSMB 2 download cards.
5. Others...

I guess is option 2. But I want to hear some opinions, and if it's possible some sources.

Acosta

Vita won't be "saved" by a single game, it needs a catalogue. If Sony manages to do that the system will keep going, it´s just a matter of will. No console is "doomed" until is discontinued and there are no new games for it.

Great sales for 3DS, I am not really surprised it didn't take a hit, it´s pretty obvious the demand is outstanding based on the strength of its catalogue. Really curious to see Wii U numbers, I bet they will be huge for this initial period.

Alrus

I guess is option 2. But I want to hear some opinions, and if it's possible some sources.

Apparently NSMB2 cards aren't selling that well (the DL % is quite low) and there's is probably some discrepancy between the 2 trackers. So yeah, I'd go with 2 too.

The difference between both for AC is just too big and Famitsu's number for the first week are more in line with what Nintendo announced. So I'd be surprised if Famitsu didn't track cards (we know MC isn't afaik)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sales Age Gafers, I want to hear your opinions:

Media Create:

01./01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 290.280 / 893.344 (-52%)

Famitsu:

01./01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 315.317 / 1.037.103 (-56%)

Media Create:

03./05. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 41.658 / 1.385.212 (+79%)

Famitsu:

03./05. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 37.802 / 1.384.844 (+101%)

So, what happens here? Choose an option:

1. Famitsu just isn't tracking NSMB 2 download cards.
2. Famitsu tracks all download cards, and it's just another discrepance between Famitsu and Media Create.
3. Famitsu doesn't track any download card, and the discrepance between the trackers is Animal Crossing.
4. No sales for NSMB 2 download cards.
5. Others...

MC doesn't track download cards? why wouldn't them?

I thought they didn't track online sales, but a download card is basically the same as a game sale...

piteru

Banned
do we know when we are going to have the first day sales for the phoenix vs layton?
do we know the initial shipment?

Alrus

do we know when we are going to have the first day sales for the phoenix vs layton?
do we know the initial shipment?

We're probably going to get first day sell through. But we won't know the first shipment before next week when Dengeki release their numbers or when MC post their top 50.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vita won't be "saved" by a single game, it needs a catalogue. If Sony manages to do that the system will keep going, it´s just a matter of will. No console is "doomed" until is discontinued and there are no new games for it.

It's not just a matter of will. Sony isn't god.

Apparently NSMB2 cards aren't selling that well (the DL % is quite low) and there's is probably some discrepancy between the 2 trackers. So yeah, I'd go with 2 too.

The difference between both for AC is just too big and Famitsu's number for the first week are more in line with what Nintendo announced. So I'd be surprised if Famitsu didn't track cards (we know MC isn't afaik)

i agree with you, AC cards sold well due to retail copy shortage, nSMB2 never had shortages afaik

Top Bottom