• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2013 (Nov 11 - Nov 17)

Mario007

not sure if you are serious
Sorry should have worded it better. I meant to say that the marketing push is somewhat a success if a new IP on a struggling system appears in those charts without having more than 1 trailer with 3 seconds of gameplay for it.

Yanikun

Banned
It's kinda crazy that a lot of the Vita's big sellers belong to the same/a similar genre. Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, God Eater 2, with next year Sony betting on Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta and Phantasy Star Nova.

Isn't it kinda weird? I don't think we have an equivalent in the West of a system whose list of system sellers is almost exclusively first-person shooters.

Takao

Banned
It's kinda crazy that a lot of the Vita's big sellers belong to the same/a similar genre. Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, God Eater 2, with next year Sony betting on Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta and Phantasy Star Nova.

Isn't it kinda weird? I don't think we have an equivalent in the West of a system whose list of system sellers is almost exclusively first-person shooters.

I don't think Sony would have much success with making Mario, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing clones.

Mario007

I don't think Sony would have much success with making Mario, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing clones.
Yeah those games are firmly rooted in the Nintendo audience and mostly bomb on Sony platorm. Case in point Puppetteer and soon Tearaway.

Still bit of diversity could do Vita wonders, because it'll soon become saturated. Over My Dead Body 2 and Gravity Rush 2 are two good examples of diversifying the portfolio and hopefully those titles (along with FF X HD) do well so that other third parties would be encouraged to come to the platform.

Takao

Banned
SCE should just get a popular manga author to do design work for a new traditional RPG called Wyvern Adventure.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
SCE should just get a popular manga author to do design work for a new traditional RPG called Wyvern Adventure.

Blue Dragon came pretty far considering the platform and then Microsoft lost all interest and consigned Mistwalker to obscurity after getting 2 games out of them. Blue Dragon then punted into offshoot DS-land. Japanese pubs would be wise to heed such history if lured by upfront Xbone money. MS has no long term plans for you.

zfRcN.jpg

I often forget how darn fucking beautiful Blue Dragon was at times, and that it wasn't until Ni No Kuni PS3 came along years and years did I feel anything close to such impressions from a jRPG again. I know the cheerleading for handheld domination is just the accepted norm for this here thread but its hard not to be thoroughly disappointed in the japanese side of the industry for the majority of this gen.

So while yer probably joking Takao, I agree that Sony should be developing something in the same vein rather than hope Square Enix, Namco or others have their shit together.

Takao

Banned
I suspect the only Japanese developers that would be lured into a Microsoft money hat are the ones that have no other choice. Which would explain Platinum.

Oh, and I wasn't really joking about making a DQ clone. If they're knocking off games on their platform they might as well knock off something that isn't.

Mario007

Why wouldn't I? First week sales are always big, and then drop, and this thing is probably not the right product for Japan, as evidenced by these sales.
I kinda agree and kinda disagree with you. The innitial shipment was Vita TV was pretty low, going by my estimates, so either you're right and the retailers just weren't interested or Sony is doing a soft launch of this as a new Vita SKU and not a new hardware launch thus allocating resources in marketing and public awareness (think 3DS and 3DS XL). Next week's numbers will tell us more.
Blue Dragon came pretty far considering the platform and then Microsoft lost all interest and consigned Mistwalker to obscurity after getting 2 games out of them. Blue Dragon then punted into offshoot DS-land. Japanese pubs would be wise to heed such history if lured by upfront Xbone money. MS has no long term plans for you.

zfRcN.jpg

I often forget how darn fucking beautiful Blue Dragon was at times, and that it wasn't until Ni No Kuni PS3 came along years and years did I feel anything close to such impressions from a jRPG again. I know the cheerleading for handheld domination is just the accepted norm for this here thread but its hard not to be thoroughly disappointed in the japanese side of the industry for the majority of this gen.

So while yer probably joking Takao, I agree that Sony should be developing something in the same vein rather than hope Square Enix, Namco or others have their shit together.
From the recent posts of Verendus they seem to be doing that with regards to Final Fantasy so that's good. If Vita and the PS3 taught Sony anything it's that it needs to have its own big IPs to push its platforms and can't just expect third parties to always follow.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Unless the Gooch is heavily medicated, I don't see how he doesn't regret massively where he took himself post Square boot. I mean, I'm sure he's rich enough to not care about his livelihood, but taking those Xbox and then Wii deals, all while watching the PS3 clearly convalesce and become the only place such games thrived, and then further still with PSP and PSVITA with stuff like Toukiden selling 100k and... anime knockoff hunting game stuff like God Eater sell 380k... like... deary me.

With Artoon gone (makers of Blue Dragon), I assume the escape pod company Arzest wouldn't be capable of such a Blue Dragon scale development either? Or maybe they'd be consigned to WiiU and then oblivion again too.

3D Dot Game Heroes was another of very few fresh looking jRPG thingies out of this gen, but I assume From are D____ Souls machines now. Man. Depressing shit really. I guess Persona is days away from announcement but what a totally squandered generation of home consoles in Japan.

Moonstone

If Vita TV bomb in Japan, I'm not sure anymore if we will see it in the west. With 2 giant systems battling in home console market, I don't know if there's space for mini console like Vita TV.

I think it has a lot of potential, but not right now.

It's a little bit ahead of its time. PS4 is just out. Later in the generation, when PS4 will become cheaper, reaches the mainstream audience, has a lot of services and Gaikai actually works - the vita tv for less than 100$ sounds like a no brainer. Roku/Apple TV with games and game streaming. A lot of people bought a second 360 (not in japan ;) )

Valve seems to believe in home streaming to be a big trend (not in internet streaming like Gaikai). Whatever, Vita TV can do both. And someday it might be integrated into other devices like TVs.

I don't think that Sony will drop it. It's no PSPGo.

Mario007

Unless the Gooch is heavily medicated, I don't see how he doesn't regret massively where he took himself post Square boot. I mean, I'm sure he's rich enough to not care about his livelihood, but taking those Xbox and then Wii deals, all while watching the PS3 clearly convalesce and become the only place such games thrived, and then further still with PSP and PSVITA with stuff like Toukiden selling 100k and... anime knockoff hunting game stuff like God Eater sell 380k... like... deary me.
WEll he has, once again, become to symbolise the Japanese development output for the past generation. Pretty much all of the Japanese studios made similar mistakes with either thinking their games would sell on Wii because everyone owned it or by accepting the MS monies. Sony's PS3 ressurection came too late and we're only seeing the fruits of that in the past year or so. That's why there's no rush to move over to the PS4, though at least in that situation Japanese 3rd parties have the choice much easier: Xbone will be irrelevant, Wii U is going to try hard to Xbone a run for its money in the irrelevancy race.

Takao

Banned
From only published 3D Dot Game Heroes. It was developed by Silicon Studio who were behind Bravely Default and supposedly have a PS3 and Vita (potentially the same) game in development.

zfRcN.jpg

Its crazy how one of the best looking jrpgs came so early this gen and tbh thats not praising blue dragon its just showing how disappointing the jrpg scene has been on consoles since PS2 and the golden days of PS1. The things that confuses me the most is that jrpgs sell well. Theres a big audience for them on PS3 clearly, and three of the biggest new IP's iirc are jrpgs (Dragons Dogma, Dark/Demons Souls, Bravely, Default).

I have zero faith SE, unless by some miracle, will be making smaller jrpgs alongside DQ,FF and KH. L5 seems to have gone iOS and pubs like Konami and Capcom who used to have some jrpgs have totally give up. Really its now up to the niche devs who thankfully still churn them out.

I think its a great idea if Sony/Nintendo do develop jrpgs. I feel like there's greater sustainability when a first party makes a jrpg.

I'm impressed with Vita audience in Japan - 2 milions strong userbase can produce first week sales comparable to several times higher psp userbase (comparing to when GE was released).

Also with Sony securing so many hunting games I agree it would be nice if they did something different

last Patapon i think sold 100k copies on PSP so they could at least try doing HD trilogy if not a new entry

Mario007

Its crazy how one of the best looking jrpgs came so early this gen and tbh thats not praising blue dragon its just showing how disappointing the jrpg scene has been on consoles since PS2 and the golden days of PS1. The things that confuses me the most is that jrpgs sell well. Theres a big audience for them on PS3 clearly, and three of the biggest new IP's iirc are jrpgs (Dragons Dogma, Dark/Demons Souls, Bravely, Default).

I have zero faith SE, unless by some miracle, will be making smaller jrpgs alongside DQ,FF and KH. L5 seems to have gone iOS and pubs like Konami and Capcom who used to have some jrpgs have totally give up. Really its now up to the niche devs who thankfully still churn them out.

I think its a great idea if Sony/Nintendo do develop jrpgs. I feel like there's greater sustainability when a first party makes a jrpg.
Going by SE's financial statements FF and KH on ps4/xbone is all you're really going to be getting from them. All other games are iOS only. Which makes no fucking sense whatsoever, but that's SE for you. Their new CEO loves his iPhone.

cafemomo

Why wouldn't I? First week sales are always big, and then drop, and this thing is probably not the right product for Japan, as evidenced by these sales.

Still has a chance to ride on the GE2 success.

If The VTV drops below 15/10K next week then it will be a worrying sign.

Metallix87

Still has a chance to ride on the GE2 success.

If The VTV drops below 15/10K next week then it will be a worrying sign.

Let's be realistic here instead of living in fantasy land. The Vita and Vita TV might be able to stay above 10k because of the Holidays, but after this, what is left in terms of major releases? And I mean major releases that Japan would care about. God Eater 2 has hit, and is likely going to do a total of 400k - 500k. That's it as far as big new titles are concerned, unless I'm forgetting something post-Holiday.

Vita TV is going to start plummeting next week, and it'll basically fall into obscurity come January. Now, the Vita itself has a chance to stay above 10k, but I'm wondering what will keep it's sudden push going. At the end of the day, does it have something that can compete with DQM2 in Q1?

test_account

XP-39C²
Let's be realistic here instead of living in fantasy land. The Vita and Vita TV might be able to stay above 10k because of the Holidays, but after this, what is left in terms of major releases? And I mean major releases that Japan would care about. God Eater 2 has hit, and is likely going to do a total of 400k - 500k. That's it as far as big new titles are concerned, unless I'm forgetting something post-Holiday.

Vita TV is going to start plummeting next week, and it'll basically fall into obscurity come January. Now, the Vita itself has a chance to stay above 10k, but I'm wondering what will keep it's sudden push going. At the end of the day, does it have something that can compete with DQM2 in Q1?
Phantasy Star Nova, that is set for 2014. Freedom Wars might be a wildcard.

Metallix87

You're forgetting Phantasy Star Nova, that is set for 2014. Freedom Wars might be a wildcard.

You're right, I did forget Phantasy Star. Still, that title doesn't have a release date as far as I know, so it matters little for the short term. Freedom Wars is not going to do it.

cafemomo

The Vita TV will drop, no doubt about it, but it won't drop to "rock bottom levels" next week. Just give the market a bit more time to either warm up to or disregard the product. Now if the Vita TV falls to 10K and below the last week of November, then it's a ded product.

I'm concerned about Freedom Wars.- they have outsourced this game no?
Very little footage - and no estimate release date in 2014 as far as I know .

Zoe

lol I don't even know what kind of game Toro is in.

Dokodemo Issho on the PS1 was a chatbot game. Mainichi Issho on the PS3 took out the chatbot part but had daily broadcasts, mini-games, and room/garden decorating.

I think Vita will manage to stay between 15k-20k post holidays which is great all things considered, but anyone expecting a some PSP like sales for any stretch really isn't looking at the lineup. There just isn't a consistent lineup and Sony has pretty much played all their big cards for the forseeable future unless another price drop is coming which seems doubtful. Also the PS4 doing very well in Japan could either help or hurt the system.

Oemenia

Banned

The system now has some momentum behind it and has strong third-party sales potential.

mrjohill

I think there is info coming in this weeks famitsu or something and we are supposed to be getting gameplay this week as well

Mario007

We're getting a gameplay reveal this weekend I think. The game was probably kept out of sight till GE2 dropped.

Frodo

People are happy and all with Vita sales and stuff, but I just want to see how things are going to be after Sunday when they announce Persona 5 exclusive for the 3DS.

XGVKFZ9.gif

Mario007

I think it's hillarious we're having a discussion about how Vita is doomed during the best week Vita had since launch and only the 2nd week it managed to outsell the 3ds. It reminds me of the 'now, wait till next week then it'll totally drop' comments we had from February until pretty much the summer.

Guys no one is saying Vita is now an incredibly popular machine that will take the world and Japan by storm, so no need to react with similar hyperbole like 'Vita TV is gonna drop to 10k next week'. I think metalslimmer put it best, all things considered Vita is doing well. Looking at it objectively of course, it's nowhere near having a proper healthy life. I think next year is gonna be interesting.

I think Vita will manage to stay between 15k-20k post holidays which is great all things considered, but anyone expecting a some PSP like sales for any stretch really isn't looking at the lineup. There just isn't a consistent lineup and Sony has pretty much played all their big cards for the forseeable future unless another price drop is coming which seems doubtful. Also the PS4 doing very well in Japan could either help or hurt the system.

famous mortimer hints that we will see Vita 2000 in west in next year alongside another price cut.

If they do price cut in west why wouldn't they do it in Japan too ?

watershed

Banned
i wish we had Vita TV numbers separated in the OP. That's gonna be an interesting experiment to watch in the next days and weeks ahead.

Mario007

famous mortimer hints that we will see Vita 2000 in west in next year alongside another price cut.

If they do price cut in west why wouldn't they do it in Japan too ?
Well Vita was designed for price cuts given its off the shelf materials. Vita TV already proves that without the screen, back touch and buttons the thing can be sold for around 100 euro. So we'll see.

Pie and Beans

People are happy and all with Vita sales and stuff, but I just want to see how things are going to be after Sunday when they announce Persona 5 exclusive for the 3DS.

No idea why people are pulling to have a series go backwards just for some petty console war win. Not fans in the first place I guess? Not going to happen anyway.

XGVKFZ9.gif

Do people really believe this?

Persona games on Vita = 2

Persona games on 3DS = 0

Not that I expect Persona on Vita, but releasing the new entry on a portable they avoided to grew/move the fanbase there?

Yeah, no. Persona is basically a Sony series at this point...

Top Bottom