• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2014 (Nov 10 - Nov 16)

As my Mii once said: it's now how big your dick is but how well you perform.

image.php

L~A

That's quite the big ad for Legend of Legacy, and pretty much two months before release. They seem to be pretty ambitious about this, but then again, that's just one lone ad.

By the way, looks like Denpa Ningen no RPG Free! has been downloaded over 1.5m times. They seem to be doing quite well, though still no data on paid stuff.

They're working on a new update (1.4), to be released in Dec.

passed in front of Bic Camera Ikebukuro when I was coming back from work

they were
surprisingly
advertising Explorers, no signs of the beloved Jinbanyan

seems like S-E is pushing it up with efforts

Takao

Banned
this means retail only???

if so, they are great numbers indeed

Nah, that has to include digital for that to make sense.

It's still a crazy impressive result for a western indie game on PS3 and Vita, though.
And a stern reminder of how poorly SCE has handled Minecraft.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Hope we get a Pokemon press release from Japan.

Was expecting one from the Pokemon Company today for NOA & Japan sales as they did for the XY launch, but only got Super Smash ;.;

Nah, that has to include digital for that to make sense.

It's still a crazy impressive result for a western indie game on PS3 and Vita, though.
And a stern reminder of how poorly SCE has handled Minecraft.

sure, and both Terraria and Minecraft US show how much is still important a retail copy to the japanese market

even if 150k (iirc) for Minecraft digital is an impressive result

Vita
January

• Diabolik Lovers: more.Blood - Limited V Edition - 01/15
  • Final Fantasy Agito+ - 01/15
  • Escha & Logy no Atelier Plus: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi - 01/22
  • Kaleidoeve - 01/22
  • Root Infinity Rexx - 01/22
  • Tsurugi no Machi no Ihoujin: Kuro no Oukyuu - 01/22
  • Durarara!! Relay - 01/29
  • Hitotsu Tobashi Ren'ai V - 01/29
  • Kurochou no Psychedelica - 01/29
  • Kurogane Kaikitan: Senya Ichiya - 01/29

February
  • Ukiyo no Roushi - 02/11
  • Gakuen Heaven: Boy's Love Scramble!
    [*]Sengoku Musou 4-II - 02/11
  • Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party - 02/12
  • Fuuraiki 3 - 02/19
  • God Eater 2: Rage Burst - 02/19
  • Hakuouki: Zuisouroku - Omokagebana - 02/19
  • Otoko Yuukaku - 02/19
  • Captain Earth: Mind Labyrinth - 02/26
  • Diabolik Lovers: Dark Fate - 02/26
  • OZMAFIA!! -vivace- - 02/26
  • Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Jukai no Kioku - 02/26

March
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Iki - 03/12
  • Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6 - 03/12
  • Senran Kagura: Estival Versus - Shoujotachi no Sentaku - 03/26
  • Sword Art Online: Lost Song - 03/26

26 titles

TBA 2015
  • Kancolle
  • Cyber Sleuth

11 titles

Vita
January

• Kaleidoeve - 01/22
  • Hitotsu Tobashi Renai V - 01/29

February
  • Fuuraiki 3 - 02/19
  • Otoko Yuukaku - 02/19

March

23 titles

woah Vita haz more gamez !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of these are very niche but still I am wondering where did these Vita games exactly came from lol

baekshi

Banned
Vita
January

• Kaleidoeve - 01/22
  • Hitotsu Tobashi Ren'ai V - 01/29

February
  • Gakuen Heaven: Boy's Love Scramble!
    [*]Sengoku Musou 4-II - 02/11
  • Fuuraiki 3 - 02/19
  • Otoko Yuukaku - 02/19

March
  • Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6 - 03/12

26 titles

TBA 2015
  • Kancolle
  • Cyber Sleuth

agito was postponed indefinitely

also there is ia/vt, p4 dance, deemo (if it's not this year), Ys, one piece etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pokemon ORAS 3-Day: 1,534,593
3DS hardware (17-23): 83,129

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201411/26066471.html

Pokemon X/Y Debut (Week 41, 2013, Famitsu):
01./00. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 2.096.050 / NEW <80-100%>

3DS Hardware (Week 47 2011, Famitsu): 120,920
3DS Hardware (Week 47 2012, Famitsu): 158,527
3DS Hardware (Week 47 2013, Famitsu): 70,912

Not sure how many days X/Y was. If it was the same, about a 75% hold on the game, and an increase of ~17% over last year hardware wise.

AniHawk

really can't believe the hype for oras. i remember when it came out and it was regarded as the worst in the series, even until gen iv happened. it's the worst selling pokemon too, i think.

also, the first week sales of pokemon ruby/sapphire were 1,245,003 according to famitsu, almost 12 years ago to the date on november 18, 2002.

Busaiku

Highest remake sales too.
However, X / Y debuted high too, but legs were abysmal (for Pokemon).

Let's see if that's the case here.

Sandfox

really can't believe the hype for oras. i remember when it came out and it was regarded as the worst in the series, even until gen iv happened. it's the worst selling pokemon too, i think.

also, the first week sales of pokemon ruby/sapphire were 1,245,003 according to famitsu, almost 12 years ago to the date on november 18, 2002.

I'm guessing the lowest sales thing had more to do with the timing than anything else.

hiska-kun

Good software sales, but we need to talk about New 3DS. This are not the sales I was expecting, but I was fearing after blog's comments and last weeks performance.

AniHawk

I'm guessing the lowest sales thing had more to do with the timing than anything else.

i actually mixed it up with firered/leafgreen. r/s did 16.22m. x/y is the worst-selling entry, but it may sell another 1.5m units between now and when it's done, beating black/white.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was pretty pessimistic on it in general.

Before they announced a revision, my core proposal was that if they didn't feel they had enough to make one appealing, they wouldn't bother releasing one.

I think they put in just enough to give it some appeal, but at its core the 3DS is a system near saturation, and this only offers sufficient upgrades to a smaller, hardcore base of users who really want the extra horsepower or the C-stick or a couple games like a Xenoblade port.

Beyond that it's just an upgraded version for people who were going to buy a 3DS anyway because they just became of the age to want one or just got into gaming or just got their first job or etc.

As it stands, the usecase for buying this system (if you have a 3DS already) is that you want to play 3D action games with somewhat better controls (and you had the frankenstick for that if it was a huge issue already) or some niche high end titles. That or you really love the 3D aspect and wanted that to be better.

We're seeing the system maintain approximately what it did last year during this time of year with some weeks being over and some being under. My suspicion is that it will start consistently dropping year over year by mid-January when all the initial wave of buyers who really wanted it finish picking it up and we'll pretty much be down to people who are buying a 3DS for the first time or were circumstantially upgrading anyway (like giving their old one to their younger sibling and getting a bigger one or something in that vein).

Some big exclusives might move more people over, but how many people are really going to be making those given the size of the audience they'd have to give up?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
looks like the last chance left is a 3rd version of Yokai Watch then......haha

I think as we get closer to the holidays the sales should go up in general just by virtue of the number of people buying them as holiday gifts, and Yokai Watch should synergize well with that given the target demographic.

That said, I'm not expecting record setting hardware sales here.

Nintendo will lead the way. Just like with the WiiU!

Well they did say they have at least a couple of games in development, but I'm still curious to see what they actually are. If they're all Xenoblade type products, well...

Highest remake sales too.
However, X / Y debuted high too, but legs were abysmal (for Pokemon).

Let's see if that's the case here.
legs will be even worse than x/y, but we'll see how it compares to hg/ss

im guessing it'll sell more than hg/ss in the end since this will probably be the last pokemon games for this generation.

Good software sales, but we need to talk about New 3DS. This are not the sales I was expecting, but I was fearing after blog's comments and last weeks performance.
i expected better before the revision was released, but this small increase isn't a surprise considering its performance in the last few weeks, december is looking far more crucial.

Sandfox

I think as we get closer to the holidays the sales should go up in general just by virtue of the number of people buying them as holiday gifts, and Yokai Watch should synergize well with that given the target demographic.

That said, I'm not expecting record setting hardware sales here.

Well they did say they have at least a couple of games in development, but I'm still curious to see what they actually are. If they're all Xenoblade type products, well...

They might be working on something to take advantage of Amiibo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They might be working on something to take advantage of Amiibo.
Presumably some games will be compatible with them, but will that actually be a big benefit?

Like at that point you have to cart around your figurines too unless they're one time unlocks, at which point even if Amiibos were super important to someone (which... I'm not sure that's true for many people), aren't they developing an add-on that can also scan Amiibos that you could simply use once at home?

As a fan of Monolithsoft, I hope they are all Xenoblade games!
I called up Nintendo and they confirmed they're canceling Xenoblade X to make 12 3DS Xenoblade games without playable mechs.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I was pretty pessimistic on it in general.

Before they announced a revision, my core proposal was that if they didn't feel they had enough to make one appealing, they wouldn't bother releasing one.

I think they put in just enough to give it some appeal, but at its core the 3DS is a system near saturation, and this only offers sufficient upgrades to a smaller, hardcore base of users who really want the extra horsepower or the C-stick or a couple games like a Xenoblade port.

Beyond that it's just an upgraded version for people who were going to buy a 3DS anyway because they just became of the age to want one or just got into gaming or just got their first job or etc.

As it stands, the usecase for buying this system (if you have a 3DS already) is that you want to play 3D action games with somewhat better controls (and you had the frankenstick for that if it was a huge issue already) or some niche high end titles. That or you really love the 3D aspect and wanted that to be better.

We're seeing the system maintain approximately what it did last year during this time of year with some weeks being over and some being under. My suspicion is that it will start consistently dropping year over year by mid-January when all the initial wave of buyers who really wanted it finish picking it up and we'll pretty much be down to people who are buying a 3DS for the first time or were circumstantially upgrading anyway (like giving their old one to their younger sibling and getting a bigger one or something in that vein).

Some big exclusives might move more people over, but how many people are really going to be making those given the size of the audience they'd have to give up?

I think Nirolak you touched on something very important aspects.

I'd also like to add that consumer sentiment is also very low in Japan currently; weakening consumer spending. Not to the extent that is portrayed here most likely, but it is affecting their purchasing habits nonetheless.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/10/us-japan-economy-confidence-idUSKCN0HZ0C420141010

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Nirolak you touched on something very important aspects.

I'd also like to add that consumer sentiment is also very low in Japan currently; affecting purchasing habits of many. Not to the extent that is portrayed here most likely, but it is affecting their purchasing habits nonetheless.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/10/us-japan-economy-confidence-idUSKCN0HZ0C420141010

Yeah, macroeconomics can definitely impact luxury goods that aren't "must buy" items in the mind of consumers.

I imagine an upgrade to a system you already own that isn't a scheduled upgrade like a phone would fall into that category pretty easily.

randomkid

With New 3DS I just think it's really odd how they doubled down on the 3D effect as a selling point. Weren't there lots of conversations a year or two ago about how 3D was something most consumers didn't care about much any more? I don't know if it's a popular thing in Japan though.

I might have been much more likely to upgrade if they had dramatically improved the screen quality instead of focusing on making the 3D effect easier to keep, would have helped to differentiate the systems more. Not sure if a wider audience cares though considering what happened to the Vita.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't looks like a bad result for 3DS. It increased around 32,000 units (this is Famitsu datas) from last week thanks to Pokémon and probably Holiday rush starting, and it's up YOY compared to Week 47, 2013. Hopefully, being up YOY cotinues in December: last year's December was quite slower than other, doing better than that (and, thus, having a better momentum from Holidays carring Q1 2015 sales) should be Nintendo's objective.

I also wonder if MC will continue showing a big difference with Famitsu (last week, 14,000 units) or if ther will be a rebalancement between the two trackers

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't looks like a bad result for 3DS. It increased around 32,000 units (this is Famitsu datas) from last week thanks to Pokémon and probably Holiday rush starting, and it's up YOY compared to Week 47, 2013. Hopefully, being up YOY cotinues in December: last year's December was quite slower than other, doing better than that (and, thus, having a better momentum from Holidays carring Q1 2015 sales) should be Nintendo's objective.

I also wonder if MC will continue showing a big difference with Famitsu (last week, 14,000 units) or if ther will be a rebalancement between the two trackers
they always sync up eventually, only a matter of time

Top Bottom