• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2016 (Nov 14 - Nov 20)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because it's true. The PS4 Pro is a poor value proposition for the average Japanese consumer. It's overpriced, and the main benefits it gives is for stuff the average household does not have and will not care for.

But is it a value issue? Like I don't see it as an "issue" per say. It cost more than the vanilla PS4 because it's totally optional. It wasn't supposed to fix anything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But is it a value issue? Like I don't see it as an "issue" per say. It cost more than the vanilla PS4 because it's totally optional. It wasn't supposed to fix anything.
Higher priced SKUs are generally the better selling ones in the industry if we look at ASP in NPD or even how the 3DS XL does in Japan.

The PS4 Pro does not offer a compelling argument for Japan though. It's actually an unusual event, but it's designed around Western luxury consumers.

Boke1879

I don't think using Japan as an indicator of Pro catching on is a good idea.

I'm so confused by the messages above. Do people not realize how much the Pro costs? The state of Japan? Come on, people. Forget rocket science this isn't even basic algebra.

It's just people pushing their own bias and not wanting the Pro to succeed and for some reason using the Japanese market as an indicator for that.

Slim will be the main driver that's obvious. I mean even look in the states. All Black Friday deals are for the Slim. Also do we know the level of stock for the Pro in Japan right now?

Z3M0G

PS4 doing 2x the PS4 Pro.

Guess this'll be the way it is, in Japan at least.

And elsewhere? The Slim exists and many people will be happy with that...

The majority of those who want a Pro will get it day 1... the majority of the rest will buy the cheaper Slim. It will be like that everywhere.

saichi

7 of the top 10 games are on a Sony platform. I never thought we'd see the day again, especially considering most of them are PS4.

You are 2 weeks too late. Someone already pointed out 2 weeks ago that all top 10 are on Sony platform. This is also a bad week to point it out since the #1 on a different platform is selling 10x than all the other top 30 games combined.

As for PS4 Pro, I'm sure it's the stock issue like PS VR. People want it but they just can't get a hold of one. It's also like Wii U earlier this year. Stock issue really limited the potential of the console! ;)

Boke1879

You are 2 weeks too late. Someone already pointed out 2 weeks ago that all top 10 are on Sony platform. This is also a bad week to point it out since the #1 on a different platform is selling 10x than all the other top 30 games combined.

As for PS4 Pro, I'm sure it's the stock issue like PS VR. People want it but they just can't get a hold of one. It's also like Wii U earlier this year. Stock issue really limited the potential of the console! ;)

But let's not act like Sony was going to flood Japan with the Pro anyway.

It's just people pushing their own bias and not wanting the Pro to succeed and for some reason using the Japanese market as an indicator for that.

Slim will be the main driver that's obvious. I mean even look in the states. All Black Friday deals are for the Slim. Also do we know the level of stock for the Pro in Japan right now?
I mean, it has been pointed out how the OG PS4 isn't even selling particularly well. Okay, at best. But somehow a SKU priced considerably higher in a wasteland of a market was supposed to do whatever some here were expecting? K.

I'd be interested in hearing about stock as well. Not in the sense that low stock would hint at a major boost (before certain folk here lose their mind lol) but rather, as you said, Sony went in with a certain amount in mind.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Retailers don't stock something when they don't see value. VR is literally a dead peripheral for software, what's the point stocking such an expensive thing if the only profit they can get is from the peripheral itself. Big retailers may afford to do it expecting future benefits but smaller no.

Pro is just an expensive version of something the majority won't choose over the cheaper. Next year after holidays, when initial hype dies, will show where Pro will end comparing to Slim, a second or a distant secong choise.

down 2 orth

Just wondering: why is amazon.co.jp selling the PS Pro at 12,000 yen above the recommended retail price? I thought it was because there's limited stock, but everyone here is so sure the thing is dead on arrival.

mckmas8808

Higher priced SKUs are generally the better selling ones in the industry if we look at ASP in NPD or even how the 3DS XL does in Japan.

The PS4 Pro does not offer a compelling argument for Japan though. It's actually an unusual event, but it's designed around Western luxury consumers.

And yet with this great information that you posted, people in Japan are still saying the PS4 Pro is sold out.

Unusual indeed....I agree.

Elandyll

Banned
Man people don't want the Pro.
?
Selling 1/2 the slim, for a more expensive/ bulkier version of a PS4 aimed at a subset of households that value 4K gaming, and with a 4K screen (even if the Pro also has 1080p benefits)... Not a bad result at all imo, specially for Japan.

jmaine_ph

PS4 Pro / PS4 Slim numbers will be better once people in Japan have a reason to buy it. Next week and early next year should see great numbers from Japan.

Shock32

The pro gives a nice boost to the PS4 slim which is good. And people thinking they don't need the pro, you're right you don't. That was the plan to be totally optional and they hit the nail on the head. It doesn't alienate existing owners and people with the money to spare/4K can get a nice performance boost.

hiska-kun

Maybe it`s too late (or maybe not) to post this, but Tsutaya reported that Sun & Moon first week sales are 140% of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and 110% of XY sales. It outsold both games thanks to Pokemon GO effect.

「オメガルビー・アルファサファイア」の140%以上、完全新作としては前作にあたる「XY」と比べても110%以上という絶好調ぶりで、これはやはり大ブームとなった「ポケモンGO」の効果が大きかったということでしょう。

http://mantan-web.jp/2016/11/23/20161123dog00m200009000c.html

noshten

Maybe it`s too late (or maybe not) to post this, but Tsutaya reported that Sun & Moon first week sales are 140% of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and 110% of XY sales. It outsold both games thanks to Pokemon GO effect.

Living up to expectations, expecting this to be the biggest 3DS launch this gen - all thanks to the massive free marketing Pokemon GO was able to provide.

Companion apps and games... hopefully Nintendo is fully aware of what they need to do with all their major franchises.

kewlmyc

PS4 doing 2x the PS4 Pro.

Guess this'll be the way it is, in Japan at least.

It'll be this way everywhere, especially to the casual market this holiday season. People tend to go for the cheapest market, especially when it's not really that clear to a causal consumer what the benefit of the PS4 Pro is.

Arex

Do they stock a plenty of ps4 pro to Japan?

if they're not gonna buy them, maybe they can move them pros to SEA region instead? Really pisses me off with the extremely limited stock here, yet plenty of stocks in UK and US. hope I can find one by the time FFXV releases :|

L~A

Curious to see Media Create and Dengeki data.

But Tsutaya's report seems to be in line with comgnet's data no? They also reported more sales at launch.

I think people are too quick to predict the Switch will sell well in Japan, this market looks rough I hope Nintendo offers a good price point.

If 3DS is still a choice I am not sure Japan will make the switch, eh... sorry

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How is PS4 doing compared to PS3?

This was last week, but the comparison becomes a lot harder pretty soon due to the PS3 Slim + FF13 combo:

ps4_zpshynljdsj.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think people are too quick to predict the Switch will sell well in Japan, this market looks rough I hope Nintendo offers a good price point.

If the Pokémon rumour is true and there is actually a MH port that should do a fair bit in enticing the userbase to move other. But really Nintendo should be trying to kill off the 3DS because it will eat into and slow down any switch adoption regardless, no backwards compatibility will see to that.

phanphare

Banned
If the Pokémon rumour is true and there is actually a MH port that should do a fair bit in enticing the userbase to move other. But really Nintendo should be trying to kill off the 3DS because it will eat into and slow down any switch adoption regardless, no backwards compatibility will see to that.

Splatoon + Pokemon + Monster Hunter in a handheld will do a lot for the Switch's viability in Japan, especially if Splatoon does end up being a pack in game at launch

MANUELF

Banned
Speaking of Splatoon wouldnt it be funny if it becomes the Best selling console game This generation over FF XV and the PS4 versión of DQ11?

Who would have though that?

Orgen

Speaking of Splatoon wouldnt it be funny if it becomes the Best selling console game This generation over FF XV and the PS4 versión of DQ11?

Splatoon is going to beat both games and this has already been discussed in previous M-C threads :p

Any idea when we'll get M-C numbers? Tomorrow?

L~A

Splatoon is going to beat both games and this has already been discussed in previous M-C threads :p

Any idea when we'll get M-C numbers? Tomorrow?

4Gamer.net just said "November 24th", so who knows. Could be 10AM JST (when they generally begin publishing stuff for the day), or 10PM JST (24h later). But as hiska-kun pointed out, Gamer could have the Top 10 at 1PM JST.

I guess we can can count the Switch version as a port right?
Unless Nintendo markets it differently and it has a ton of new content

random25

Mario Kart, Splatoon and Dragon Quest as guaranteed games for the Switch gives a bit of optimism for Switch at least for its first year.

And what's with your tag? Lol

Orgen

4Gamer.net just said "November 24th", so who knows. Could be 10AM JST (when they generally begin publishing stuff for the day), or 10PM JST (24h later). But as hiska-kun pointed out, Gamer could have the Top 10 at 1PM JST.

Cool, thanks! (I don't know any of the timezones you posted but I expect to see the numbers tomorrow hahaha).

Dengeki is the only tracker that counts the games separated right? (for Pokemon, Yokai and co.) What happened in the end with the Dengeki numbers by the way?

mckmas8808

So did you want to double down on the Pro outselling the Slim in Japan when stock normalizes?

LOL! Not at all. It's a shift in console releases. This hasn't been done in the console market before. The expectations for the PS4 Pro have to totally different than previous console releases.

It's expected to bump up the sales, but to what end and to what percentage increase? It's totally optional. I wouldn't even compare it to the 3DS XL.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Looking at the 2m+ openings from Famitsu I still can't get over they reported 2,1m for MHF3 when Capcom had shipped less than 2m.

Top Bottom