• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2011 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS sales are almost on par with the best sales ever realized by DS Lite at week 46 in 2006.
Looking at the lineup coming next weeks, I think it can easily break previous DS family records.

BurntPork

Banned
001.gif

Yay!

What is this I don't even

How is almost 200k bad for anything?

Aren't you guys overreacting? I mean, it's a core franchise on the Wii. Considering that, it did VERY well.

Well it did about 2x as well as The Last Story...

That's all I've got. Duckroll is right, Japan has completely opposite tastes with the West in terms of Zelda titles, but SS is generally underperforming everywhere from what I've seen.

duckroll

Skyward Sword is a pretty nice compromise, though. It's a midpoint between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess: it's got the lightheartedness of Wind Waker, with the more grounded plot; the chirpy, upbeat melodies, with the dramatic orchestrated boss pieces; and a lightly cel-shaded, cartoonish look – without being too cute or too "mature."

This is clearly Nintendo's attempt to closer align sales between the regions. Zelda usually has nice legs, often selling around 3x its first week sales. I guess we'll see how they've done in retrospect, once the holiday and opportunity for word of mouth have passed.

Having finished it, I do agree that Skyward Sword has the potential to appeal much more to modern Japanese audiences than Twilight Princess. But can we really say that it is obviously apparent in the marketing or in the trailers? No. I agree that word of mouth and legs will be a lot more telling, but for now, at launch, I don't find the low sales surprising because of the historical divide in Zeldas in recent generations.

BurntPork

Banned
Well it did about 2x as well as The Last Story...

That's all I've got. Duckroll is right, Japan has completely opposite tastes with the West in terms of Zelda titles, but SS is generally underperforming everywhere from what I've seen.

Ack! Now I get it! I guess Zelda's decline from AAA to B is going on worldwide... I think Wii U Zelda will save it, however.

It's a very interesting divide. I wonder if Japan prefers the Windwaker aesthetic of the DS games over the modern aesthetic of the Wii games, or if they prefer the top-down style to full 3D worlds.

Only one way to find out! New Legend of Zelda time!

Probably they simply prefer handhelds over consoles? Zelda is not the only series that has sold way better on portable devices with respect to home consoles.

matmanx1

MH Tri G will do gangbusters obviously but I think the Vita will have a pretty good launch as well. It's new and different enough to spark plenty of interest at the launch but with so much competition in the market and the lack of a "killer app" it will most likely struggle after the initial launch buzz has faded.

Duckroll highlights an interesting sales tidbit regarding Zelda. I didn't realize such a split existed until now. Fortunately Skyward Sword is fantastic and deserves much sucess everywhere.

Michan

Yay!

How is almost 200k bad for anything?

Your excuse for slow-to-start sales is that it is a "core franchise on Wii."

This isn't Monster Hunter or Resident Evil (both of which have faired well on Wii). It's Zelda, a celebrated franchise developed and published by the platform holder, Nintendo.

Regardless of whether 200k is considered a good or bad number, that kind of response to a Zelda title is laughably weak.

BurntPork

Banned
Your excuse for slow-to-start sales is that it is a "core franchise on Wii."

This isn't Monster Hunter or Resident Evil (both of which have faired well on Wii). It's Zelda, a celebrated franchise developed and published by the platform holder, Nintendo.

Regardless of whether 200k is considered a good or bad number, that kind of response to a Zelda title is laughably weak.

Were people expecting like 500k or something?

It's a dying Pacman!

It needs to be separated by company. :lol

duckroll

Probably they simply prefer handhelds over consoles? Zelda is not the only series that has sold way better on portable devices with respect to home consoles.

That's only one factor though. I think that looking at the sales of 3D Mario games in Japan, and then looking at how NSMB Wii performed, indicates that it is definitely not just a platform factor, but a very real case of Nintendo audiences in Japan preferring certain types of gameplay over others.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  3DS  |    120.920 |     96.219 |            |  2.678.016 |            |   2.678.016 |
Gather around, non believers - and witness a miracle.

BurntPork

Banned
That's only one factor though. I think that looking at the sales of 3D Mario games in Japan, and then looking at how NSMB Wii performed, indicates that it is definitely not just a platform factor, but a very real case of Nintendo audiences in Japan preferring certain types of gameplay over others.

But Zelda has never been as big as Mario...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
From now on Celdas will be developed by EAD while PuzZelda will be done by some Western branch like Retro Studios.

Yeah, of course, but in the case of Zelda it's pretty straightforward, also looking how the series has performed on GBA (which was way less popular than DS); in some cases the popularity of a console acts more strongly but yeah, there are definitely some games that no matter where they come out, they sell.

Alrus

Well Zelda opened lower than Wind Waker but as it's been said, Galaxy opened lower than Sunshine and ended up selling much better. I'm not sure it's gonna have the same legs as galaxy, but beating Twilight Princess shouldn't be too hard.

What kind of opening were you guys expecting?

MH Tri G will do gangbusters obviously but I think the Vita will have a pretty good launch as well. It's new and different enough to spark plenty of interest at the launch but with so much competition in the market and the lack of a "killer app" it will most likely struggle after the initial launch buzz has faded.

Duckroll highlights an interesting sales tidbit regarding Zelda. I didn't realize such a split existed until now. Fortunately Skyward Sword is fantastic and deserves much sucess everywhere.

Will vita have a good launch though?yes they'll probably sell whatever they ship but will they actually ship that many? Any more than a couple of hundred thousands and they probably should've launched in at least one more territory before xmas

muu

Vita will have to ship 400-500k to at least make the 'shipment' press release happen. Not sure how much of it will actually sell, considering that every Santa's Helper is going to be looking for a 3DS (Vita is for adults after all), and a lot of the higher-aged gamers are going to be sucked into MH3G for the time being. Uncharted isn't nearly the strong franchise it is in the west, and 30k+ just to be able to play that or yet another rendition of golf would seem difficult to manage when there's so much else on the table.

Michan

Having finished it, I do agree that Skyward Sword has the potential to appeal much more to modern Japanese audiences than Twilight Princess. But can we really say that it is obviously apparent in the marketing or in the trailers? No. I agree that word of mouth and legs will be a lot more telling, but for now, at launch, I don't find the low sales surprising because of the historical divide in Zeldas in recent generations.

You're right about how they've handled the marketing. From the CMs, Skyward Sword looks little different from Twilight Princess. There are definitely two markets for the series, and Nintendo foolishly seems to be pursuing the wrong one (rather than the bigger, or both) in their campaign, almost ignoring the game's attempt to reach both. Perhaps the company should have put more of an emphasis on the game's Wind Waker-style elements, in an attempt to better-capture the attention of that crowd.

But let's not forget that around 2/3 of both Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass' sales were in later weeks. It's likely that word of mouth does a lot more for the series than the company's own marketing efforts.

trw

Ack! Now I get it! I guess Zelda's decline from AAA to B is going on worldwide... I think Wii U Zelda will save it, however.

What? You do know that AAA and B are just marketing terms for what budget the game has had, not anything about how much it sells or the quality of the game.

Vita will have to ship 400-500k to at least make the 'shipment' press release happen. Not sure how much of it will actually sell, considering that every Santa's Helper is going to be looking for a 3DS (Vita is for adults after all), and a lot of the higher-aged gamers are going to be sucked into MH3G for the time being. Uncharted isn't nearly the strong franchise it is in the west, and 30k+ just to be able to play that or yet another rendition of golf would seem difficult to manage when there's so much else on the table.

I'm personally thinking they'll only ship 150k at launch with maybe an extra 100k by the end of the year

duckroll

You're right about how they've handled the marketing. From the CMs, Skyward Sword looks little different from Twilight Princess. There are definitely two markets for the series, and Nintendo foolishly seems to be pursuing the wrong one (rather than the bigger, or both) in their campaign, almost ignoring the game's attempt to reach both. Perhaps the company should have put more of an emphasis on the game's Wind Waker-style elements, in an attempt to better-capture the attention of that crowd.

But let's not forget that around 2/3 of both Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass' sales were in later weeks. It's likely that word of mouth does a lot more for the series than the company's own marketing efforts.

I expect that Skyward Sword will have better legs, and with it being the only holiday season title on the Wii it should eventually do quite well. If the audience ends up liking it, it could even outsell Spirit Tracks. I just don't find the first week sales all that surprising given what we already know about Japan's taste towards Zelda games.

Michan

I expect that Skyward Sword will have better legs, and with it being the only holiday season title on the Wii it should eventually do quite well. If the audience ends up liking it, it could even outsell Spirit Tracks. I just don't find the first week sales all that surprising given what we already know about Japan's taste towards Zelda games.

The only way the first week sales would have been any better would be if Nintendo were to have delivered the commercials in the same way they delivered the game.

duckroll

Guys, I think Sony is going to ship 30k Vitas in December, and they might not even able to sell it all. FFXIII-2 will probably be lucky to sell 200k in the first week. That's not bad for a spinoff though, since it'll be higher than 4 Warriors of Light and Crystal Chronicles on Wii. Yeah!

duckroll

The only way the first week sales would have been any better would be if Nintendo were to have delivered the commercials in the same way they delivered the game.

All the Japanese TVCMs should have been Zelda looking at the camera with her "oh won't you save me?" face. :)

I would be curious to see what either Monolithsoft or Retro could do with Zelda to be honest. :)

Graphic-wise you have already seen what Monolithsoft could do with a Zelda on the Wii!

Michan

I would be curious to see what either Monolithsoft or Retro could do with Zelda to be honest. :)

I don't know why, but that just seems wrong. Metroid always felt like a western game, and DK Country came from the UK. Zelda has a very "traditional Japanese" charm to it, and I don't think Retro could pull it off without ignoring it completely and genericising the game somewhat.

Only Nintendo
and maybe Team Ico
can do Zelda, just like only Nintendo can do Mario.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Graphic-wise you have already seen what Monolithsoft could do with a Zelda on the Wii!

*drool*

One other thought; maybe neither Wii Zelda game did as well as the DS games because of the motion control requirement? Being a core game and all maybe they don't want to be so dependant on that. Mario Galaxy's motion control was nothing more than the occasional flick, mostly still using buttons. MHTri had CC support... Touch screen controls might not have been as poorly received.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Next week challenge for 3DS: beat the 200K realized by DS Lite at week 47 in 2006.
I have faith in Mario Kart to achieve that.

3DS reached unstoppable status?

MK and MHG3 will solidify its numbers but I believe the new verb has been accepted by the masses. It will sell a steady 80k in the next months

duckroll

*drool*

One other thought; maybe neither Wii Zelda game did as well as the DS games because of the motion control requirement? Being a core game and all maybe they don't want to be so dependant on that. Mario Galaxy's motion control was nothing more than the occasional flick, mostly still using buttons. MHTri had CC support... Touch screen controls might not have been as poorly received.

I think controls are an interesting point. The touch screen controls for the DS Zeldas actually made playing them easier and simpler than ever before. You tap to move, you tap to attack, etc. It was very casual, and the most complex movements involved basically drawing lines on the screen.

On the other hand, Skyward Sword is a really interesting mix of traditional movement controls with relatively complex or advanced motion combat. The sword fighting in particular requires more precision and coordination than ever before, since you have to watch enemy patterns to see which directions they're blocking or moving, and then strike to match.

It's also interesting that a lot of the tools and skills have their own motion control schemes, many taken from Wii Sports Resort. While they are all extremely natural and fun, it remains a barrier of entry for people who aren't great at core videogames and remembering many different rule sets and instructions. Wii Sports Resort tells you the rule for each minigame before you play them, and those are the only rules for that entire minigame. In SS, you have to remember how to control each different tool and be able to pull stuff off as you switch between stuff.

I have no idea if such things will have much of an impact on the actual accessibility of the game for a larger mainstream audience, but they are still factors to consider. I don't think mainstream gamers have anything against motion controls, but it's all in how they are applied and presented.

Weekly 3DS sales are just bizarre, did they put out a new color? The top game is half of the overall sales for the system and that game was the only one to even chart. Mario Kart will be interesting next week, if these people are really just MH people buying it for MH... will these people ever buy another game besides MH? This is getting ridiculous.

Michan

*drool*

I don't think motion controls have an awful lot to do with it; the hardcore fans will play it regardless, just as they did with Galaxy and other first party fan-desired titles. Like Duckroll's been saying, it's probably mostly the audience divide.

Some analysis: Wind Waker seems to be geared more toward females than males – and possibly also younger players, whereas Twilight Princess is the opposite. There is almost definitely some crossover, but this seems to be the most obvious case.

With Skyward Sword, it looks like Nintendo chose to market this game more towards the TP rather than WW audience, which seems to be an ever-shrinking customer base. Maybe they believe that they have to capture the TP fans early on, while the WW followers will come with time and word of mouth... or maybe they've misunderstood something.

But perhaps the reason for the shrinking TP audience is due to those people moving on to other systems and genres, or maybe they lost interest in the series over time due to other commitments or tastes. On the other hand, WW's appeal is likely larger than ever due to Nintendo's growing female audience.

Anyway, It'll be interesting to look back upon in a few months.

Kenka

mpl90's release schedule for 3DS next year is kinda worrisome I suppose. Where are ALL the games that are supposed to be developed and launched on a leader device ? I don't get it at all.

Nobody wants to develop games ? No one is willing to milk japanese customers ?

Top Bottom