• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2011 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retailers report big rise for 3DS.

MH3G looks undershipped but we'll see what the final number will be and how quickly Nintendo will restock.

Yeshua

[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 100000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 600000
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 450000

Alrus

[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 95,000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 550,550
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 435,435

Complete shot in the dark here...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hoping they'll reship that Monster Hunter quickly. It's undershipped, they must increase it, or obtain to ship again even if the game is out Saturday...is such a thing possible?

donny2112

[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 125000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 700000
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 400000

Road

Dengeki Sales, Nov 21 - 27, 2011 (Week 48)

01. (__) [WII] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo) - 202,011 / 202,011 [ST: ~70% => 289,000]
02. (__) [PSP] 7th Dragon 2020 (SEGA) - 112,097 / 112,097 [ST: ~85% => 132,000]
03. (__) [PSP] Little Battlers eXperience - Boost (Level 5) - 62,874 / 62,874 [ST: ~40% => 157,000]
04. (04) [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 62,360 / 552,146 (+3%)
05. (__) [PS3] Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle (Bandai Namco) - 60,584 / 60,584
06. (__) [PS3] Metal Gear Solid HD Edition (Konami) - 56,171 / 56,171
07. (__) [PSP] Uta no Prince-sama: Music (Broccoli) - 51,418 / 51,418
08. (__) [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Ketteiban (Bandai Namco) - 33,290 / 33,290
09. (01) [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Subtitled Edition (Square Enix) - 31,471 / 210,923 (-82%)
10. (02) [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle! 2 New World (Bandai Namco) - 29,158 / 149,553 (-76%)
11. (__) [PSP] Weiß Schwarz Portable: Boost Weiß (Bandai Namco) - 28,379 / 28,379
12. (13) [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Nintendo) - 20,218 / 251,889 (+7%)
13. (__) [PSP] Weiß Schwarz Portable: Boost Schwarz (Bandai Namco) - 19,924 / 19,924
14. (03) [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Level 5) - 19,678 / 85,337 (-70%)
15. (__) [PSP] Pop'n Music Portable 2 (Konami) - 19,387 / 19,387
16. (__) [PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure 4 You! Vol. 2 (Bandai Namco) - 15,688 / 15,688
17. (09) [PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Square Enix) - 15,681 / 693,823 (-37%)
18. (06) [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend (SEGA) - 15,494 / 232,830 (-48%)
19. (12) [WII] PokePark 2: Beyond the World (Pokemon Co.) - 14,982 / 69,876 (-21%)
20. (15) [WII] Just Dance Wii (Nintendo) - 14,167 / 230,389 (+22%)

*ST: Sell-through => estimated copies shipped.

Other software (first week / LTD):
2006-12-02 [WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 128,000 / 528,000

[ALL] Weekly Software Units (ALL) - 1,379,000 (+29.4%)

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/433/433983/
http://megalodon.jp/2011-1204-0804-10/news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html

Week 47: 11-14~11-20

LOCK

Hoping they'll reship that Monster Hunter quickly. It's undershipped, they must increase it, or obtain to ship again even if the game is out Saturday...is such a thing possible?

My guess is that the shipment will increase or they will already have their second shipment waiting and ready to go after they get launch day morning sell through from retailers, which means the second shipment would reach most retailers that night or following day.

This is all pie in the sky guess work, but Capcom can't be that stupid.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 55,000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 550,000
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 370,000

cvxfreak

I'm expecting MH3G to outsell MH1-3 and the original MHP, but not other games in the series. If 3G doesn't get there before the end of March, then I'll consider it a disappointment.

The pace at which it gets there is completely in the air at the moment. The game is definitely getting tons of hype here, and the 3DS is destined to be the best selling system this month, but all this shortage talk and there being no guarantee that MH fans are open to the 3DS as a platform are big question marks right now.

Ideally, MH3G starts out at 500K and makes it to 1 million by January and sells for quite awhile. But it could also be muted like the Wii game eventually was...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I doubt it's only Capcom that doesn't want a huge first shipment. Retailers have been burnt many times lately with overshipped titles and especially from Capcom. The last two Monster Hunter games didn't take a lot of time to join the bomba shelves.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I doubt it's only Capcom that doesn't want a huge first shipment. Retailers have been burnt many times lately with overshipped titles and especially from Capcom. The last two Monster Hunter games didn't take a lot of time to join the bomba shelves.

I remember they were expecting 700k, then Capcom suddenly reduced to 300k, and they were angry. 700k would have been the right first shipment in my opinion.

Michan

Oh, go on, then.

[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 55,000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 395,000
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 320,000

Looks like Mario Kart has sold at least 20 million copies in Japan if my online experiences are any indication. After eight or nine races I have yet to play with someone that is NOT from Japan. What are the odds? :lol

king zell

Looks like Mario Kart has sold at least 20 million copies in Japan if my online experiences are any indication. After eight or nine races I have yet to play with someone that is NOT from Japan. What are the odds? :lol

the game was released 3 days earlier in Japan than the rest of the world.

cvxfreak

Interestingly, MH3G sales can be a potential indicator to how well MH4 does.

MHG Wii x 4 = ~ MH3 sales

MH3G selling 1 million would put MH4 at around the appropriate ballpark for the portable series.

I'm expecting MH3G to outsell MH1-3 and the original MHP, but not other games in the series. If 3G doesn't get there before the end of March, then I'll consider it a disappointment.
I can also see it outselling MHP2, though that's less of a sure thing. Might not happen until a theoretical "best" reprint.

Alrus

MH3G selling 1 million would put MH4 at around the appropriate ballpark for the portable series.

You can't really compare MHG Wii and MH3G though. One is a port and while 3G has brand new content.

cvxfreak

That's a silly comparison.

MH3G is the next MH game. MHG Wii was a simple port

And MHG came with a MH3 demo, while 3G comes with nothing. They're not perfect comparisons, I agree, but it's just one more way to look at it. I would expect MH4 to at least triple MH3G.

I'm curious about what you're expecting MH3G to sell since you see it as "the next MH game." I can't see it going past 2 million, and that's a very generous estimate.

cvxfreak

Why is Capcom undershipping Monster Hunter?

Sinobi believes that Capcom and retailers are trying to avoid another MH3 situation, which makes tons of sense. MH3G is still a huge question mark at this point; it's going to sell a lot, yes, but it remains to be seen whether it can have similar success to the PSP entries.

If the fanbase wants to move en masse to 3DS, then a low shipment during launch week will be a distant memory when things are underway.

RPGamer92

Banned
Sinobi believes that Capcom and retailers are trying to avoid another MH3 situation, which makes tons of sense. MH3G is still a huge question mark at this point; it's going to sell a lot, yes, but it remains to be seen whether it can have similar success to the PSP entries.

If the fanbase wants to move en masse to 3DS, then a low shipment during launch week will be a distant memory when things are underway.
But considering the increase of 3DS Hardware over the past couple of months, wouldn't the current instal base looking to play MH already be over 420k?

cvxfreak

But considering the increase of 3DS Hardware over the past couple of months, wouldn't the current instal base looking to play MH already be over 420k?

Not necessarily true (yet) -- MHP3 sold tons of PSPs last year, and I doubt they were all MHP2G owners rebuying the system. MK7 and SM3DL sales (and Nintendo franchises) have a natural tendency to sell with Nintendo's hardware, while MH is definitely a system seller whose effects on hardware sales are more easily visible.

When Mario Kart Wii was released, sales went up only 2K over the previous week. (see here)

Spiegel

And MHG came with a MH3 demo, while 3G comes with nothing. They're not perfect comparisons, I agree, but it's just one more way to look at it. I would expect MH4 to at least triple MH3G.

I'm curious about what you're expecting MH3G to sell since you see it as "the next MH game." I can't see it going past 2 million, and that's a very generous estimate.

I'm expecting MH4 to sell >4M and MH3G to sell at least 1.7M before the end of the fiscal year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells better than that. We are talking about the next MH game with new content, released after the franchise had the best selling third party game ever released in Japan.

3DS is cheap, it has a lot of big name games and good support. The userbase won't limit the amount of copies that MH3G can sell.

As it has been already pointed out, MH4 is a brand new iteration unlike 3G, hence the former may easily fare much more better than the latter - actually I reckon it would be a huge disappointment should they end up the other way round - by the way way we don't know anything about the game yet bar the title - the undisclosed teaser footage may be misleading as far as we know - so it's way too early to say whether MH4 will be the single biggest selling game of the franchise so far or bomb heavily.

Of course should MH3G turn out as a million seller, it would give MH4th a much positive outlook indeed.

cvxfreak

I'm expecting MH4 to sell >4M and MH3G to sell at least 1.7M before the end of the fiscal year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells better than that. We are talking about the next MH game with new content, released after the franchise had the best selling third party game ever released in Japan.

3DS is cheap, it has a lot of big name games and good support. The userbase won't limit the amount of copies that MH3G can sell.

Not unreasonable predictions at all.

The MH fanbase appear to be more like DQ fans in that they'll flock to the hardware, unlike (say) Tales fans who just love their PlayStations.

Road

Whether MH3G goes past 2 million or not really only depends on how soon MH4 is released (or if 3G is so horrible it turns the everyone off, which is very unlikely).

Whether MH3G goes past 2 million or not really only depends on how soon MH4 is released (or if 3G is so horrible it turns the everyone off, which is very unlikely).

I don't think there's much chance of mh4 releasing til the userbase of the 3ds is big enough to give it a shot at sales at the same level as 3rd

AntMurda

No they aren't.

Yeah, people are really confused about how Zelda actually sells in Japan.

No people are not! But it does not change the fact that this was an expensive game to develop, and that several design choices were made to make the game appealing and exciting to old and new potential Zelda gamers. It worked for the DS games. It is not working here. I do not feel the game will have any legs either. The userbase has reached its maturity, and the game should be well known with all the advertizing and history.

No people are not! But it does not change the fact that this was an expensive game to develop, and that several design choices were made to make the game appealing and exciting to old and new potential Zelda gamers. It worked for the DS games. It is not working here. I do not feel the game will have any legs either. The userbase has reached its maturity, and the game should be well known with all the advertizing and history.

As far as I know for some reasons Zelda has never been that much a popular IP in Japan, as well as 3D Mario games, unlike NA and Europe.

In the first place Skyward sword was never supposed to be a huge hit in Japan, besides if you want to analyse how it is actually faring you should better look at NA and Europe instead, and as far as I know it is doing pretty well up there.

Spiegel

Not unreasonable predictions at all.

The MH fanbase appear to be more like DQ fans in that they'll flock to the hardware, unlike (say) Tales fans who just love their PlayStations.

Yeah.

Also related to MH, Sony is giving the anual Playstation Awards tomorrow.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv72913866

It's going to be pretty awkward seeing Tsujimoto (or whoever goes there) on stage taking the award for the biggest selling Playstation game ever after the franchise jumped ships.

Takao

Banned
As far as I know for some reasons Zelda has never been that much a popular IP in Japan, as well as 3D Mario games, unlike NA and Europe.

In the first place Skyward sword was never supposed to be a huge hit in Japan, besides if you want to analyse how it is actually faring you should better look at NA and Europe instead, and as far as I know it is doing pretty well up there.

I was under the impression it wasn't doing very well in Europe. Like barely above Twilight Princess despite TP being a launch game, and SS having a huge audience to draw from.

I was under the impression it wasn't doing very well in Europe. Like barely above Twilight Princess despite TP being a launch game, and SS having a huge audience to draw from.

Doesn't seem to be doing as well as it could in the uk though seems to be doing better on the continent

Not exactly analogous situations of course, but FWIW Monster Hunter 3 sold to 7% of Wii owners its first week, and was over 10% within the month.

I couldn't swear by it is being successful overall, but last time I checked European chart it was #1 in Germany and Sweden and was somewhere up top 10 in France, Norway and Ireland, IIRC.
If I can speak my mind, to be honest I was afraid Skyward sword might have bombed heavily, what with coming up on a platform that's drawing near the end of its life-cycle, besides supporting Motion+ may have put early adopters off - I myself have not purchased it yet as I only own Vanilla basic Wii Remote.

I reckon they should have released on Wii U at this late stage, but seeing it that high in US and European charts it is apparently coping much better than I expected.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Not necessarily true (yet) -- MHP3 sold tons of PSPs last year, and I doubt they were all MHP2G owners rebuying the system. MK7 and SM3DL sales (and Nintendo franchises) have a natural tendency to sell with Nintendo's hardware, while MH is definitely a system seller whose effects on hardware sales are more easily visible.

When Mario Kart Wii was released, sales went up only 2K over the previous week. (see here)

Wii isn't the best comparison since there is already the first 3D Mario on the system and hardware results are very different. If retailers are confirmed Mario Kart will be the same situation.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retailers round 3.

Gundam could take the top spot this week. It has done very big numbers since it continued to sell very well at weekend. Everything else as expected.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 110000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 725000
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 350000

Top Bottom