• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2015 (Nov 16 - Nov 22)

Ridley327

Yeesh, even Japan isn't falling for the new Animal Crossing. It's shaping up to be one of the biggest outright blunders Nintendo has ever made.

Woah, Battlefront did better than I expected. Star Wars should never be underestimated.

PS4 hardware is a bit lower than what I expected but the third parties are doing a great job of keeping the baseline up.

Atelier did best on PS4. PS3 pretty low. Interesting.

Animal Crossing...uh oh.

Splatoon, SMM and Minecraft still kicking.

X1 making moves.

Vena

Animal Crossing bombing as it should, haha.

Animal bombing. 13k for nintendo biggest release this holiday is absurd... But i guess it deserved that sales. Hope that, without competition, Taiko shines more.

Splatoon is the game that matters this holiday, this is a garbage filler release. Everyone knows it.

-------

So, does no one else notice this? Or are we just not going to talk about it?

Software:
01./00. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.11.19} (¥8.424) - 123.908 / NEW
06./01. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥8.532) - 19.355 / 206.801 (-56%)

Software (FPS only*):
PS4: 143.263

Hardware:
PS4: 27.311 --> 29.052

&#916; = 1741 units

*Only considering these as the major titles out, and its more focused on the FPS genre over minor affects of something like Atelier/SAO. There are 5 Top 20 releases, and this is entering holidays.

That's some brutal saturation, or the baseline is a lot lower than some believe it to be.

07./00. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Game Director's Edition <Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment \ Sword Art Online: Lost Song> <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.19} (¥8.640) - 18.342 / NEW
06./00. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Game Director's Edition <Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment \ Sword Art Online: Lost Song> <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.19} (¥8.640) - 22.530 / NEW <60-80%>
This re-release has done well. Took me by surprise.

Kinda sad watching SAO bomb on PS4.
Bomb. Please explain?

This is not even a new game. It is year's old RPG bundled with the latest game and not exactly cheap either.

PS4 is shaping up to be the definitive console for JRPGs, even in Japan.

Tizoc

Look I'm just saying:
There will be a Persona 5 themed PS4 released in 2016.
It's friggin' inevitable when you think about it.

Look I'm just saying:
There will be a Persona 5 themed PS4 released in 2016.
It's friggin' inevitable when you think about it.

It's an obvious no-brainer for Japan & Asia.

The real question is will Europe get it?

No need to even ask for North America, it won't.

Its the only console.
2j5s1xI.gif

Meier

Wow at Amiibo Festival. That's rough. I'm sure it will have a bit of a tail over the next month but ouch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Splatoon is the game that matters this holiday, this is a garbage filler release. Everyone knows it.

-------

So, does no one else notice this? Or are we just not going to talk about it?

That's some brutal saturation, or the baseline is a lot lower than some believe it to be.

Did the game have a bundle like in the West? In the case, was it Sony Online store exclusive or available nation-wide? Still, I was expecting a bit more, like 32-34,000 units sold.
SAO did around what I expected, slightly more actually, since it's just a repackaged bundle of the last two games. Atelier Shallie is bigger than what I anticipated overall. Bomba Grand Kingdom, though.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
05./00. [WIU] Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.11.21} (¥6.480) - 20.303 / NEW

an the Triforce numbers...

Should mean a lot for Nintendo.

Vena

Did the game have a bundle like in the West? In the case, was it Sony Online store exclusive or available nation-wide? Still, I was expecting a bit more, like 32-34,000 units sold.
SAO did around what I expected, slightly more actually, since it's just a repackaged bundle of the last two games. Atelier Shallie is bigger than what I anticipated overall. Bomba Grand Kingdom, though.

Battlefront? No, I don't think it did.

Wii U still up yoy
cool
Animal Crossing Amiibo Turd Bombed
Good
Battlefront did good but gave the ps4 pratically no boost(still great #'s though).
3ds is getting ready for MH again.

crinale

All they had is Dualshock4 bundle IIRC.

GunBR

Great to see Atelier Sophie selling more (or almost the same according Famitsu) on the PS4

Probably we gonna see even more Vita JRPGs getting a PS4 version
Tokyo Xanadu, pls ;_;

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Animal Crossing: it did awful, but I'm pretty sure it sold amazingly well digit-oh God

crinale

Thanks.
Even without the bundle, again, PS4 is slightly slower than what I was expecting.

Before I forget about it: pretty good debut for Star Wars, bigger than what I anticipated.

I think there's a limit that Western heavy hitter can do in Japanese market. Even a juggernaut like Minecraft the effect is rather slow-burn.

When does Exist Archive come out? I want my Valkyrie Profile, but I've got the feeling this game will tank based on hearing nothing about it, and therefore won't get localised :(

If Japanese sales were a bar for whether games got localized or not, we'd have never gotten things like Omega Quintet; Onechanbara Z2; Lost Dimension; Awakened Fate Ultimatum etc.

From what I've read, localization companies base their decisions on whether they see a potential market existing in the west or not (i.e. Lost Dimension may sell to SMT fans due to aesthetic, so Atlus picked it up).

Vena

Thanks.
Even without the bundle, again, PS4 is slightly slower than what I was expecting.

Before I forget about it: pretty good debut for Star Wars, bigger than what I anticipated.

The number in and of itself isn't the issue (even if its smaller than expectations) its the delta and the effect size, the latter is (much) less than 0.01 ratio. If you consider Battlefront to be a big release, then that means it had no effect on the outer market over the inner market. This can potentially mean you're approaching saturation, either on first person shooters or on western titles in general. Or, the effect size is made to look smaller than it is by a lower baseline that is obfuscating the delta.

To put it into perspective, MGSV had an effect size of ~0.063.
BLOPSIII was ~0.07.

Effect

I really hope Nintendo is learning the correct lessons from Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and soon Mario Tennis Ultra. Along with not getting a game like Star Wars Battlefront. Please let them realize the correct things here.

Kid Ying

For people that want to buy the console or still dont have the game it really is. I'm not saying that there is another game that will drive consoles, but for people that already have both, nothing is stoping them from getting more games and since animal crossing doesnt seem like a good game, people may get Taiko instead (much better choice in my opinion). Every Taiko seems to do worse than the last, but the last Taiko on Wii, which released against nothing from nintendo to compete, sold much better than its predecessors. Taiko 3 might sell better than Taiko 2 due to nintendo inability this holiday.

Top Bottom