• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2015 (Nov 16 - Nov 22)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
XB1 has surpass 60,000 unit this week.
It's happened after 64 weeks.

For a comparation, the 360 has sold those numbers the first week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retailers have high expectations for this game by the time the movie will be released.
We'll see if it works or not.

This won't won't mean much is market is flooded with used and cheap copies. With famitsu sellthrough there are 70-160k unsold copies. If it's closer to the upper estimate good luck at retailers.

It's not the only game they have to worry. Animal Crossing will follow it as it seems.

hiska-kun

Media Create First Week Sales

04./00. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 35.907 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥6.264) - 32.904 / NEW
14./00. [PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 10.416 / NEW

02./00. [PS4] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344) - 30.759 / NEW
03./00. [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥6.264) - 25.805 / NEW
13./00. [PS3] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344) - 11.542 / NEW

test_account

XP-39C²
Nice PS4 sales.

So, does no one else notice this? Or are we just not going to talk about it?

That's some brutal saturation, or the baseline is a lot lower than some believe it to be.
Do you think that the PS4 baseline is ~25k now?

Factor in YSO's week 2 predictions, and you'll be finding this in bins in a few weeks.
YSO average for week one was 85k, so its hard to say how that affects the 2nd week predictions. How much did the other Battlefield games sell?

hiska-kun

This won't won't mean much is market is flooded with used and cheap copies. With famitsu sellthrough there are 70-160k unsold copies. If it's closer to the upper estimate good luck at retailers.

It's not the only game they have to worry. Animal Crossing will follow it as it seems.

First day sell-through was 40-50% according to MC. Final week sell-through must be very close of 60%, not the otherwise.

where the hell is Shantae 3DS ???

can't believe Airship Q charted and not Shantae.......

Shantae shipment was supposed to be very small.

Airship Q on the other side is overshipped.

Guymelef

04./00. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 35.907 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥6.264) - 32.904 / NEW
14./00. [PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 10.416 / NEW

02./00. [PS4] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344) - 30.759 / NEW
03./00. [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥6.264) - 25.805 / NEW
13./00. [PS3] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344) - 11.542 / NEW

I'm happy for KT after the last Musous relaunch bombas.

Mr Swine

Banned
Nice numbers for every console (not you Xbone and PS3) and nice software numbers too. But I'm starting to wonder if it's really smart for Nintendo to release a new console in Japan when PS4 is going to get the major bulk of Japanese support through software (if we don't include handhelds).

It's different with the next handheld but I cannot see their console selling more than Wii U. Also what's up with Vita not getting a HW boost? It got tons of games yet Wii U is above it? At least Vita will have a better YoY than last year thanks to DQB

Nice year for Gust!

crinale

Nice numbers for every console (not you Xbone and PS3) and nice software numbers too. But I'm starting to wonder if it's really smart for Nintendo to release a new console in Japan when PS4 is going to get the major bulk of Japanese support through software (if we don't include handhelds).

It's different with the next handheld but I cannot see their console selling more than Wii U. Also what's up with Vita not getting a HW boost? It got tons of games yet Wii U is above it? At least Vita will have a better YoY than last year thanks to DQB

I don't think Nintendo is looking Japanese market alone, as well as Sony isn't despite being Japanese company.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Two more weeks and Splatoon will pass 1 million in Japan Physical + Digital

For what we know, can happen even next week.
We know Splatoon digital sales was 18% by end of October.

With 802,000 unit this week, if the 18% digital sales is still the same, Splatoon could be 978,000 unit.
YSO predict Splatoon > 25k next week, and 22,000 is under 25k... who know.

But yes. If not next week, then, definitively in 2 weeks.

HGH

Banned
Grand Kingdom bombed but at least it won't end in bins seeing how small the shipment is...ha yeah right, as if it'll sell an extra 6000 copies..
where the hell is Shantae 3DS ???

can't believe Airship Q charted and not Shantae.......
Wait for Dengeki numbers tomorrow and weep I guess?

Vena

Do you think that the PS4 baseline is ~25k now?

Let's look at it this way and only using the Battlefront figures (it obviously gets worse if you factor in BLOPSIII, but let's assume that any one buying a console is generally also buying it week one of a big release).

This week is 29.052 (&#916; = 1741 units, week-over-week) and Battlefront is 123.908. The effect size (as &#916;/RST, Release Sell Through) here ends up being ~0.008. This is nearly an order of magnitude lower than other big releases (looking referentially at BLOPSIII and MGSV).

If you want to assume no saturation on genre/appeal, then the baseline would have to fall to ~20k, for Battlefront's convoluted 'bump' to be ~9k and bring the effect size up to and in line with the other releases. Of course, the convolution of data and factors makes it hard to disentangle and there were other releases at the same time. However the fact that you see a minimal growth week over week on a large-ish release, means something is wrong. (Last week, BLOPSIII and AC:Syndicate would also match up in effect size on new audience adoption if you set a baseline somewhere around 20-22k.)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Are we expecting the 3DS to hit 20M this year?

With this year, you mean calendar year?
that's impossible, imho.
how many weeks left before the year end? 5?
that would mean being able to sell 100k average every week, for a console that imho will struggle to see such a spike even with the release of MHX.

Shantae shipment was supposed to be very small.

Airship Q on the other side is overshipped.

ok, but last friday report said that Shantae was doing well, and if the shipment was so small as you said, it's still available everywhere after one week, so I'm really surprised it didn't chart... I mean, #30 charted with less than 2,5k
anyway, in the next days I will do my part, promise

Airship Q seems like has a 10k shipment, I wonder how can be priced in the bargain basket a game which is sold at 2,000yen... :D
I read a lot of negative comments, both on Amazon and Bic Camera

hiska-kun

With this year, you mean calendar year?
that's impossible, imho.
how many weeks left before the year end? 5?
that would mean being able to sell 100k average every week, for a console that imho will struggle to see such a spike even with the release of MHX.

6 weeks left on Media Create's Calendar

5 weeks left on Famitsu's Calendar

I don't know which one uses Dengeki

hiska-kun

ok, but last friday report said that Shantae was doing well, and if the shipment was so small as you said, it's still available everywhere after one week, so I'm really surprised it didn't chart... I mean, #30 charted with less than 2,5k
anyway, in the next days I will do my part, promise

Well, not available everywhere (Ikebukuro Bic Camera Main shop)

425E24ED-0657-41B4-9920-810224D4DA31_zpsjcklhp1c.jpg

Scum

I really hope Nintendo is learning the correct lessons from Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and soon Mario Tennis Ultra. Along with not getting a game like Star Wars Battlefront. Please let them realize the correct things here.

They were just quick, cheap cash-ins to plug the WiiU software hole for the rest of the year. It's not surprising to see those crap sales' figures, to be quite honest.

Fisico

I'm not sure why, I mean the games have always been released on sony home consoles first and somewhere along the line they decided to release late downport with extra content and poor on the technical side on Vita whose sales cratered episode after episode.

If anything it seems rather logic that PS3+PS4 SKU are above the PSV one.

Well, not available everywhere (Ikebukuro Bic Camera Main shop)

you know what?
I checked Bic Camera, Yodobashi, Amazon, Tsutaya and Yamada Denki and only on Bic Camera is not available :D while Tsutaya has a couple of days for shipment.

Tomorrow if I have time I'll check at Big Mario and Tomato Land in Nakano near where I work.

test_account

XP-39C²
Let's look at it this way and only using the Battlefront figures (it obviously gets worse if you factor in BLOPSIII, but let's assume that any one buying a console is generally also buying it week one of a big release).

This week is 29.052 (&#916; = 1741 units, week-over-week) and Battlefront is 123.908. The effect size (as &#916;/RST, Release Sell Through) here ends up being ~0.008. This is nearly an order of magnitude lower than other big releases (looking referentially at BLOPSIII and MGSV).

If you want to assume no saturation on genre/appeal, then the baseline would have to fall to ~20k, for Battlefront's convoluted 'bump' to be ~9k and bring the effect size up to and in line with the other releases. Of course, the convolution of data and factors makes it hard to disentangle and there were other releases at the same time. However the fact that you see a minimal growth week over week on a large-ish release, means something is wrong. (Last week, BLOPSIII and AC:Syndicate would also match up in effect size on new audience adoption if you set a baseline somewhere around 20-22k.)
I dont think anything is wrong or is out of the ordinary. Its normal that games within the same genre will appeal to the same audience. I look at it differently, i look at the total number instead. It being up 1k or down 1k doesnt make any difference, in my opinion. If these games havnt been released, i dont think that the PS4 would be close to that hardware number.

If i understand you correctly, you're expecting the PS4 to keep selling 20k-22k in slow weeks?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
What do you expect for Fallout 4 first week?

I think it will sell really good. Over 100k. But less than Battlefront, and of course Black Ops III...

Pinky

Banned
AC's sales don't surprise me at all. Looks lazy and cheap. Splatoon and SMM continue to walk the walk with dem legs.

sense

christ....

i will just say as a general observation that ps4 is doing better than what many of us expected. obviously not great numbers but given western focused titles not terrible. yea i am sure the usual suspects are ready to say low bar/expectations and these numbers are terrible but the real test is not till the big japanese focused titles start releasing next year.

Vena

I dont think anything is wrong or is out of the ordinary. Its normal that games within the same genre will appeal to the same audience. I look at it differently, i look at the total number instead. It being up 1k or down 1k doesnt make any difference, in my opinion. If these games havnt been released, i dont think that the PS4 would be close to that hardware number.

If i understand you correctly, you're expecting the PS4 to keep selling 20k-22k in slow weeks?

I don't mean "wrong" as in "The Titanic is sinking!" I meant as in something isn't being accounted for as the numbers are effectively flat on the heels of a "large" release. Taking Occam's razor, the solution is simply one of saturation on either FPS or the western-aligned consumer, or the baseline is lower. That would be what was 'wrong' with the numbers.

I do not know why people assign such severity to the word 'wrong'. And, yes, you understand me correctly but this is based on simple numerics around a singular data point referenced across previous events. It was an observation of something that sticks out.

Saturation, in general, is something we regularly discuss with the 3DS.

christ....

Christ has nothing to do with math.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So shipment number that the blog guy posted (and immediately deleted) seems right after all. (I wouldn't post it either but it was quite large..)

Ah, right. If you can PM me the number, I'd be pleased :p

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't mean "wrong" as in "The Titanic is sinking!" I meant as in something isn't being accounted for as the numbers are effectively flat on the heels of a "large" release. Taking Occam's razor, the solution is simply one of saturation on either FPS or the western-aligned consumer, or the baseline is lower. That would be what was 'wrong' with the numbers.

I do not know why people assign such severity to the word 'wrong'. And, yes, you understand me correctly but this is based on simple numerics around a singular data point referenced across previous events. It was an observation of something that sticks out.

Saturation, in general, is something we regularly discuss with the 3DS.
I didnt take your use of the word "wrong" as something severe, i'm just saying that i dont think anything is out of the ordinary :) How games have overlapping audicences are being brought up from time to time, and there is truth to it of course. When you say that something is wrong, i read that as you mean that something is out of the ordinary, or that something happened that wasnt expected. Personally, i dont think theres anything really surprising or something that sticks out about this current situation. Maybe it could be expected the PS4 to sell like 35k or so, but would it really make that much of a difference? To me, its more interesting to see how the total number holds up over time.

EDIT: I added some text.

Cornbread78

Surprised PS4 came out on top for both...

crinale

An appropriate showing for that Animal Crossing game. Hopefully their other junk releases bomb as hard.

Since the game requires amiibo some retailers are already refusing to buy used copies unless everything is included, so that buy game, get amiibo and sell the rest really doesn't work either :p

Sterok

You people told me Star Fox's delay didn't matter, that Animal Crossing was going to be the Wii U's big holiday game anyway. So much for that. At least Splatoon is stepping up to save the day. Again. Battlefront seems a bit lower than I hoped for.

noshten

You people told me Star Fox's delay didn't matter, that Animal Crossing was going to be the Wii U's big holiday game anyway. So much for that. At least Splatoon is stepping up to save the day. Again. Battlefront seems a bit lower than I hoped for.

I mean even expecting Star Fox to be a major title is a bit perplexing.
It's not a big hitter, I myself will probably enjoy it but I see it more as a title in the Yoshi/Kirbi tier and don't expect it to have much more marketing than those two titles.
I just hope for more Platinum magic in terms of longevity.

Top Bottom