• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2012 (Nov 26 - Dec 02)

NeonZ

Probably Nintendo will be saved again to his country. I see the world slice in US for Microsoft, EU sony & Japan Nintendo in the next future.

Without support of big Japanese third parties that want the world (like Square and Capcom), the Wii U won't be able to create an eco-system to support third party games in general, or even receive most of those games in the first place, and might fall rather quickly. Just look at the Wii itself, especially in Japan, where it fell much faster than worldwide - and I don't think the Wii U will repeat Wii's initial numbers anyway.

omonimo

Banned
Without support of big Japanese third parties that want the world, the Wii U won't be able to create an eco-system to support third party games in general, or even receive most of those games in the first place, and might fall rather quickly. Just look at the Wii itself, especially in Japan, where it fell much faster than worldwide - and I don't think the Wii U will repeat Wii's initial numbers anyway.

Sorry, but isn't it the same situation for the 3DS? Hardware goes very well in Japan, but outside 'urgh'; in any case hardware continues to sell in Japan. Japan, I beg to say, is a complete different galaxy with a total independent ecosystem.

Snakeyes

The console has a perfect fit for the hotaku people, japanese seem appreciate more this kind of 'innovation'.
If you look at the software lineups, you'll see that Vita is much more of an otaku console than the 3DS (or Wii U for that matter).

Hero

Should be an insane month for 3DS software and hardware. Curious how Wii U will do.

Also what the hell is Level 5 thinking shipping that many units. They are truly crazy.

donny2112

Interesting to note the minimal difference between the tackers on monhun, must mean the bundle (which famitsu includes and mc don't) probably only sold less than 1k this week

MC includes the bundle with sales of the original game. Famitsu includes the bundle with sales of the BEST re-release.

Sorry, but isn't it the same situation for the 3DS? Hardware goes very well in Japan, but outside 'urgh'; in any case hardware continues to sell in Japan. Japan, I beg to say, is a complete different galaxy with a total independent ecosystem.

Independent ecosystem for games which cost few milions.

AniHawk

Without support of big Japanese third parties that want the world (like Square and Capcom), the Wii U won't be able to create an eco-system to support third party games in general, or even receive most of those games in the first place, and might fall rather quickly. Just look at the Wii itself, especially in Japan, where it fell much faster than worldwide - and I don't think the Wii U will repeat Wii's initial numbers anyway.

nintendo seems key on some big partnerships. capcom for monster hunter, square enix for dragon quest, namco bandai for smash bros., tecmo for a lot of stuff. they're in a better place this generation to ask for support, although it mainly benefits japanese audiences.

That's assuming that without the bundle, we'd have Famitsu = MC, which isn't a safe assumption, at all. Don't try to read too much into too little.

Oh yes I do know that even we assume a more noticeable discrepancy between trackers we're looking at a fairly negligible amount

Namco Bandai:Vita::Capcom:Gamecube. It's not a perfect analogy, since Bamco's biggest Vita titles aren't exclusive, but as TGS suggested and as the subsequent ToHr and OP:pW announcements back up, it's fairly clear that they're the only major Japanese third party still on board with Vita to any significant extent.

As for Wii U: I still think we'll get some more Japanese third-party announcements before the end of the year, but if we don't, I can only conclude that something has gone seriously wrong.

donny2112

Oh yes I do know that even we assume a more noticeable discrepancy between trackers we're looking at a fairly negligible amount

Yeah, that's good. Just didn't want anyone thinking Famitsu BEST - MC BEST = bundles. Like you said, we can just say it's a fairly small amount. Were the MH bundles limited?

Less than a year until Vita overtakes Xbox 360.

Vita will probably get a price cut around Soul Sacrifice (or shortly thereafter in the new FY) and be able to pass 360 maybe by June.

That Pokemon game dropped 60%. Can that be labeled as a big disappointment now?

No.
Let's wait the end of the holiday season.
Remember that both this and this were labeled as huge bombs after the first two weeks (in particular the second... And look how it sold the last weeks of the year). People tend to forget that Nintendo games, in particular those targeted to kids and families, are usually quite big in this period.

Also, a factor that no one has considered: 3DS still have to have its mainline Pokémon games; indeed, on DS Mystery Dungeon saw its biggest sales in 2007, after Diamond and Pearl.

Takao

Banned
No.
Let's wait the end of the holiday season.
Remember that both this and this were labeled as huge bombs after the first two weeks (in particular the second... And look how it sold the last weeks of the year). People tend to forget that Nintendo games, in particular those targeted to kids and families, are usually quite big in this period.

Also, a factor that no one has considered: 3DS still have to have its mainline Pokémon games; indeed, on DS Mystery Dungeon saw its biggest sales in 2007, after Diamond and Pearl.

So you're intentionally ignoring the fact that this game is down hugely compared to the DS entries, and is even behind the GBA port on DS? The GBA DS port didn't have a mainline Pokemon to back it up either. As I said in the last thread, it may crawl to a decent haul after a few months, but it'll be down considerably from any previous entry in the franchise.

So you're intentionally ignoring the fact that this game is down hugely compared to the DS entries, and is even behind the GBA port on DS? The GBA DS port didn't have a mainline Pokemon to back it up either. As I said in the last thread, it may crawl to a decent haul after a few months, but it'll be down considerably from any previous entry in the franchise.

No.
I'm saying that while declining, it cannot be called a "big disappointment" yet. First, it's not the mainline series; second, it's a cheap spin-off targeted to kids that are not used to buy the first day or the first week, therefore sales will be smooth over time; third, we're in the holiday season, you remember how Nintendo games tend to increase in the last weeks of the year, right? Fourth, no one is saying it will be among the best selling entries in the series, nor it will sell on par with the lowest selling title in the series.

A big disappointment? No.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Japan sure loves 3DS.

Funny how it's nowhere like that everywhere else on the globe though.

Nuff said
3ds-it-prints-money.gif

That should be changed to "It prints yen!".

Not that the 3DS is doing bad in other regions of the world, but the thing is on fire in Japan right now.

I can't believe that they are still selling 60K units of the original 3DS model per week.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's not such a big indicator, sure, but I still wanted to report this

Amazon Top 10

One PS3 title ( Yakuza 5)
One Wii U title ( Mario)
One Wii title ( Taiko)
4 3DS titles ( Paper Mario, NSMB2, Pokèmon, Layton v.s. AA)
Two 3DS hardware items ( Pink XL and charger)

9/10 is Nintendo

36 items in the top 100 are 3DS related ( games and hardware)

That should be changed to "It prints yen!".

Not that the 3DS is doing bad in other regions of the world, but the thing is on fire in Japan right now.

I can't believe that they are still selling 60K units of the original 3DS model per week.

the xl was never planned as a revision/replacement for the original 3ds, they were both intended to sell alongside each other

I don't see how you could call it a flop. It's probably going to underperform to expectations when they came up with this partnership, but it will sell well throughout the holidays.

Nekki

There's only one person talking so much about pokemon "bombing"...

Truth be told, it's a game with expected legs. It's underperforming, yes, but we can't call it a bomb yet.

That 3DS holdup is great, Nintendo must be really happy.

And Vita, while not selling much hardware at all, looks to have a good week software-wise. If only this was one of those "not much going on" weeks on a healthy platform, rather than its best week in a long time.

Wow. Fate/Stay night did about 25,000 units more than I was expecting. For a game that's very barely an update, what a pleasant surprise! Granted, I'm one of those 30,000. Hahaha.

Atelier Totori also did much better too, considering it's a slightly enhanced port.

jman2050

Wow. Fate/Stay night did about 25,000 units more than I was expecting. For a game that's very barely an update, what a pleasant surprise! Granted, I'm one of those 30,000. Hahaha.

Atelier Totori also did much better too, considering it's a slightly enhanced port.

Guaranteed Type-Moon fanbase. It probably would have sold 30,000 no matter what platform it was on.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's not such a big indicator, sure, but I still wanted to report this

Amazon Top 10

One PS3 title ( Yakuza 5)
One Wii U title ( Mario)
One Wii title ( Taiko)
4 3DS titles ( Paper Mario, NSMB2, Pokèmon, Layton v.s. AA)
Two 3DS hardware items ( Pink XL and charger)

9/10 is Nintendo

36 items in the top 100 are 3DS related ( games and hardware)
Full top 100:

3DS = 37
PS3 = 24
Vita = 10
WiiU = 9
Wii = 9
PSP = 6
DS = 4
Xbox 360 = 1

:)

Mentioned it in the release thread, but the Aeon in my town had Nintendo Land/NSMBU boxes up for display, I tried to pull the 'dumb foreigner' but they wouldn't sell them to me.

This store (city is ~215,000) has 24 premium and 12 basic packs for sale on Saturday. 'Tickets' for 'first come, first serve' customer given out between 9:00 and 9:15, on sale from 10:00.

Checking Garaph, it seems Taiko's not only the best selling debut on Wii, it's the best selling debut for the series ever. Better than all the PS2, PSP, DS and 3DS installments too.

May16

Why Wiiu U is not out yet in japan?

Timing.
In both NA and Japan (can't say for Europe), the Wii-U is being released riiiight before the biggest sales weeks of the year. Japan doesn't have a "Black Friday" so there is no annual guaranteed HUGE November sales crush like there is in North America. Their holiday boost comes much closer to the actual end of the year/New Year's vacation.

In seemingly all territories, the strategy is to launch right before the big sales spike -- not unlike attacking a weak point for presumed massive damage.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mentioned it in the release thread, but the Aeon in my town had Nintendo Land/NSMBU boxes up for display, I tried to pull the 'dumb foreigner' but they wouldn't sell them to me.

This store (city is ~215,000) has 24 premium and 12 basic packs for sale on Saturday. 'Tickets' for 'first come, first serve' customer given out between 9:00 and 9:15, on sale from 10:00.

Monster Hunter bundle included in the premium count?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Wii 3rd party support was beyond atrocious from launch until 2009.

It isn't a very high bar, but MH 3G HD and DQX already represents better support than what Wii initially received

Yagharek

So order of magnitude, 3DS is going to catch PS3 in a week, Wii in a year, PSP in 2-3 years and PS2 in 3-4 years. That's assuming each year is roughly the same as this year, which of course will be wrong.

Alrus

Taiko seems like a great success, I seriously didn't expect it to start this high.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon will still sell decently in the end I'm sure, but it will still be a big drop from the DS games... Wonder what happened (none of that 3D backlash ridiculousness I'm sure).

As for PL vs AA, I don't know. I'd rather wait till next week to call it a complete flop. Opening numbers aren't really that bad, and it might still sell its first shipment over the holidays.

Wii 3rd party support was beyond atrocious from launch until 2009.

It isn't a very high bar, but MH 3G HD and DQX already represents better support than what Wii initially received

Will DQX HD do better than Swords?

That's assuming each year is roughly the same as this year, which of course will be wrong.

Next two years should actually be bigger.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh apparently Magnagate got bad reception because it has smaller mons and the story isn't too good.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As for PL vs AA, I don't know. I'd rather wait till next week to call it a complete flop. Opening numbers aren't really that bad, and it might still sell its first shipment over the holidays.

Maybe people was expecting the cross-over to sell like Layton + AA games?

Well, wrong expectations, imho. A cross-over is a spinoff (an experiment, also) and usually this kind of game sell less than the main normal episode of a brand.
Looking at LTD AA numbers and to the "actual" Layton LTD potential I think that we have an average of 400K LTD for the main games.
If a spinoff as this will be able to sell half (that's sure with a 130k opening), would be "flat" (neither positive nor negative); if this crossover will be able to sell 250K (to me easily achievable going into holidays and looking at usual L5 Nintendo legs) would be positive; if will be able to sell 300k over it would be a very good result.

I repeat: probably some people were expecting this game to sell Layton PLUS AA in terms of LTD (800K?), or maybe people still think that Layton is an almost million seller on its own, otherwise I can't understand how it could be considered a negative debut

Of course, if it will tank next week and desappear during the holidays, it will be disappointing and underperforming.

what happened to:

18./00. [PSP] UnchainBlades EXXiV <RPG> (FuRyu) {2012.11.29} (¥6.279) - 6.793 / NEW
19./00. [3DS] UnchainBlades EXXiV <RPG> (FuRyu) {2012.11.29} (¥6.279) - 6.645/ NEW

i believe the ratings weren't bad. makes me sad to see it tank.

Top Bottom