• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

BY2K

Membero Americo
The random Wii U bump makes me feel it's people who bought 3D World thinking it was a Wii game...

Tratorn

Does Famitsu count bundle sales for software and mc does not? Or why is NSMBU f.e. in the Famitsu Top 10 but not in the MC Top 20?

Well there's digital version so gap is probably a little smaler than that.
However I've seen a game store guy complaining for "delayed" shipments arriving lately.

I included digital sales. Famitsu said there were around 250k I think. Total: 3.2 million.

mclem

Must admit, I'm surprised that the Vita TV's held on so poorly even with a bad start. I had thought that the price alone would keep them moving, even if tech-heads don't care. I guess it would have to have something more interesting to the casual gamer first.

I can't help but thinking that part of the issue is that it's effectively a third home console platform (Well, second in Japan, but the PS4 isn't far off) running concurrently. I'm not going to flag it as marketplace confusion, but is there a bit of marketplace saturation with "Playstation products you can plug into a telly"?

I was wondering the same thing. Unless i remember completely wrong, wasnt the 3DS "guaranteed" to outsell last year's YTD because of Pokémon and Monster Hunter 4?
I thought it was guaranteed too myself, but I might've been wrong. We'll see what happens over Xmas. 3DS would need one more game to push it over the top now to counter AC:NL. Maybe P&D could be it, maybe not.

Shengar

Good bump on Wii U, and rather unexpected at that. I hope both Vita and Wii U stays on 20k for the rest of year at the very least. Doing a sub 20k during holiday season pretty much said "you already dead".

watershed

Banned
I was wondering the same thing. Unless i remember completely wrong, wasnt the 3DS "guaranteed" to outsell last year's YTD because of Pokémon and Monster Hunter 4?

I think a lot of people (possibly myself included) thought that would be the case but now it is looking less and less likely. Those two games have done phenomenally well and have driven hardware sales. But I guess it's not going to be enough.

It may say something about the portable market that at a time when the 3ds should be hitting its stride, its not even going to be up YoY.

The problem is that it's not a handheld. Japan is Handheld Land. Simple as that.

Based on what the Verge had to say about the Vita TV's UI, it also sounds like the Vita TV is just an awkward device to use. Game compatibility sounds worse than I'd originally thought too.

Road

PS4 holdouts.

unless there is severe franchise decline.

COD barely had any decline and BF4 had a small one.

I'm afraid the next-gen excuse made sense in the West, but not really in Japan.

So there's 800k unsold copies of MH4 sitting at retailers? Seems quite a lot.

Not 800k (because of downloads, as others have said), but the 4 million announcement obviously includes a big shipment for the holidays.

spock

I think WiiU will hover near the 30k mark for a couple of weeks then drop like a stone.

Personally I disagree. I think the death slump is over. Dont get me wrong, not saying its going to sell great, etc but I think its a hit a tipping point where it will at least generate mediocre sales with bump's here and there for various release. Potential breakouts at some points are also possible. I think this is going to apply to the US as well.

Metallix87

Based on what the Verge had to say about the Vita TV's UI, it also sounds like the Vita TV is just an awkward device to use. Game compatibility sounds worse than I'd originally thought too.
Indeed. I'm not really sure why Sony wasted the resources on such an odd device.

Bruno MB

30./28. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480) - 6.897 / 324.959 <80-100%> (+40%)

It had the biggest increase inside Famitsu top 30, on the contrary Disney Infinity: Starter Pack didn't have the same luck.

I'm curious if the 3ds can match or beat last year's YTD total thru the rest of the year. Right now its 160k behind which seems like too big a gap to fill. Does it have any major releases in Japan left for an extra holiday boost?

Puzzle and Dragons
but last year 3DS had insane december

Metallix87

Personally I disagree. I think the death slump is over. Dont get me wrong, not saying its going to sell great, etc but I think its a hit a tipping point where it will at least generate mediocre sales with bump's here and there for various release. Potential breakouts at some points are also possible. I think this is going to apply to the US as well.
I agree. Europe is a lost cause, though, barring some surprise mega hit game, ala Wii Sports.

guit3457

I'm curious if the 3ds can match or beat last year's YTD total thru the rest of the year. Right now its 160k behind which seems like too big a gap to fill. Does it have any major releases in Japan left for an extra holiday boost?

Inazuma Go (dont know what version): 12/5
Braverly Default For the Sequel: 12/5
Puzzle & Dragons: 12/12
Zelda : 12/25

I think a lot of people (possibly myself included) thought that would be the case but now it is looking less and less likely. Those two games have done phenomenally well and have driven hardware sales. But I guess it's not going to be enough.

It may say something about the portable market that at a time when the 3ds should be hitting its stride, its not even going to be up YoY.
And what does it say? DS wasn't up YOY in 2007 compared to 2006 and it didn't matter because sales were still phenomenal. This is the same case here, but to a lesser extent. I mean when you look at what was also on offer last year then it makes sense. The longer a system that sells as well as DS/3DS are in the market the less likely titles are going to push units to the same extent as the install base grows.

Taker666

Must admit, I'm surprised that the Vita TV's held on so poorly even with a bad start. I had thought that the price alone would keep them moving, even if tech-heads don't care. I guess it would have to have something more interesting to the casual gamer first.

The only people in Japan I can see buying Vita TV..are people who already own Vita's and want to play the games on tv as well. I don't honestly think it's expanding the Vita userbase at all (hence why I don't think its sales should really be combined with the Vita).

crinale

IMO 3DS is beginning to saturate Japanese market.
I mean, at this rate it will be like every people with at least a very little interest with gaming will own 3DS.
It will never hit DS because it was also owned by ppl who doesn't give a shit about gaming.
(To reach DS numbers you must reach to those audience).

30./28. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480) - 6.897 / 324.959 <80-100%> (+40%)

It had the biggest increase inside Famitsu top 30, on the contrary Disney Infinity: Starter Pack didn't have the same luck.

It has been hanging around the charts for a long long time so it's to be expected.

test_account

XP-39C²
Last year also had the 3DS LL and NSMB2 combo + Animal Crossing right in the holidays. There was never any guarantee. I mean certain people thought so, but I always argued that people were not paying enough attention to the Animal Crossing effect.
I thought it was guaranteed too myself, but I might've been wrong. We'll see what happens over Xmas. 3DS would need one more game to push it over the top now to counter AC:NL. Maybe P&D could be it, maybe not.

Thanks for the answers :) Nothing wrong with predictions not turning out like first thought, i just thought it was interesting to see how things turned out. Pokémon and Monster Hunter 4 are huge games afterall, so it wasnt that far fetched. Its still a few weeks left, so who knows what will happen =) But regardless, this years YTD for the 3DS wont be that far off last year's YTD, so it has held up quite strong.

Shengar

Indeed. I'm not really sure why Sony wasted the resources on such an odd device.

Maybe Sony executives drank too much. Instead of putting those resources on development games for Vita , they turn handheld to console. It'll be just collector item like PSPGo I hope,

Metallix87

Maybe Sony executives drank too much. instead of putting those resources for Vita games, instead they turn handheld to console. It'll be just collector item like PSPGo I hope,
Yeah, the money should have definitely gone into first party Vita game development, an area that Sony is really lacking in in terms of quantity.

STHX

Is DW8XL in line with the previous XL expansions? Is the Vita version in line with the other Vita musou games? Would be nice to see them in the west.

allan-bh

Correct. It's also why Wii Party U sales were much larger for Famitsu than they are for Media Create.

Media Create includes bundles sales with physical copies on software list too. They also includes sales of 3DS bundles with pre installed game.

That unexpected Wii U bump

Time to say good night to Vita TV, who could possibly believe this concept would work out in Japan of all places?

Maybe it'll find some love in the west, but idk.
That thing was always meant for the west and never had a chance in Japan. I said it once and I'll say it again, Sony was just throwing Japan a bone bone for being a overall non factor when it comes to ps4.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, it's better than nothing.

Obviously, it's not a big announcement, and it's probably quite niche...but...but it's SOMETHING after three months of complete lack of announcements. Finally :lol

How's Project Mirai 2's sales compared to other Miku titles?

First week:

[PSP] Project Diva - 101,486
[PSP] Project Diva 2nd - 242,717
[PSP] Project Diva Extend - 189,196
[PSV] Project Diva f - 158,009
[PS3] Project Diva F - 113,722
[3DS] Project Mirai - 88,737
[3DS] Project Mirai 2 - 84,676

So Project Mirai 2 debuts on top, Wii U's hanging on steadily, and Vita crosses a million units sold for this year.

Good stuff all around.

watershed

Banned
Inazuma Go (dont know what version): 12/5
Braverly Default For the Sequel: 12/5
Puzzle & Dragons: 12/12
Zelda : 12/25

Aw yeah, I forgot that Japan hasn't got the newest Zelda game yet. Too bad its not releasing earlier in December but it should provide a good boost none the less.

And what does it say? DS wasn't up YOY in 2007 compared to 2006 and it didn't matter because sales were still phenomenal. This is the same case here, but to a lesser extent. I mean when you look at what was also on offer last year then it makes sense. The longer a system that sells as well as DS/3DS are in the market the less likely titles are going to push units to the same extent as the install base grows.

The 3ds is already selling below the ds if you compare them directly. Then factor in the 3ds likely being down YoY, then the fact that the 3ds has already seen a release in just about every major Nintendo IP, then that nearly all their former blue ocean hits have performed far worse on the 3ds than they did on the 3ds; it all suggests that while the 3ds is currently the king in Japan the market has shrunk and the 3ds is suffering the effects of that.

Road

I already included downloads based on those Famitsu numbers in the previous thread.

4 million - 3145292 (retail) - 256203 (download) = 600k.

As I said, not 800k. =P

(And it's slightly less than 600k, because the download numbers are missing that last 5 weeks.)

Edit: ^there you go.

I have to say it seems a little off to call Vita TV a failure. In terms of developing the hardware, it probably cost just about nothing. The hardware was already done. It's not supposed to replace or exceed the main Vita. It's just a sales supplement. It's a cheap investment for Sony that only needs to help boost the Vita user base by a quarter or a third which is basically what it's doing. I don't think Sony expected it to light the charts on fire. Now, it is disappointing, but is it a failure? I would say no.

L Thammy

Maybe Sony executives drank too much. instead of putting those resources for Vita games, instead they turn handheld to console. It'll be just collector item like PSPGo I hope,

Soul Sacrifice Delta, Soul Sacrifice 2, Freedom Wars... I don't think Sony's skimping on bringing games to the system. It's actually really surprising considering how the system was doing when they were announced. They'd be better off targeting some of their weak points to expand the audience of their system, but that's not the same as doing to little.

Shengar

Yeah, the money should have definitely gone into first party Vita game development, an area that Sony is really lacking in in terms of quantity.

Quantity and diversity. Two SCEJ games consecutively will be monster hunter genre games. Granted, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars have different style, but the core gameplay is still similar. They should resurrect old IPs like Folklore or Patapon. It's quite irony that worldwide Sony studios slated out more content diversity with Killzone Mercenaries and Tearaway while Vita selling like garbage outside of Japan

Top Bottom