• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

QaaQer

Serious mobile -> handheld spinoff efforts like this would be an interesting trend to see.

Totally. I wonder how many mobile-only gamers would be keen for microtransaction free versions of their favorite games. Even if it is only a few percent, that is a lot of 3ds sales.

Holy poop. And I guess this is expected to have some hold, being a more casual-focused game? Serious mobile -> handheld spinoff efforts like this would be an interesting trend to see.

The lack of mobile to 3DS ports really surprises me. Hopefully if Puzzles sells well some publishers will take another look at the 3ds market.

Let's put it this way

Comgnet's store chain - as of December 7th, 2013

[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 558pt
[3DS] Puzzle and Dragons Z - 678pt

I'm not sure how accurate this comparison is for the long run, but woah, looks like it's going to be huge at least initially, then :O

P&D Z seemed like a wildcard to me...like it could either blow hot or cold.

P&D will sell a lot at launch, no doubt, but whether it reaches 1 or 2 million will depend on the quality of the game. It's great to hear the demo was well received.

It would be nice to have a new million seller in Japan, I hope Youkai Watch gets there too. Once again, will depend on the quality of the anime. By the way, I bet the new Youkai Watch game will be sold in two different versions, just like Inazuma Eleven, get money bitch!

As for this week's sales, I have the impression that Vita will start increasing, Bravely Default will surprise us, and Dragon Quest X will sell really well, possibly more than Final Fantasy XIV LTD (230k) in a few weeks. Oh and the limited Orange/Turquoise 3DS XL is in stock again.

The lack of mobile to 3DS ports really surprises me. Hopefully if Puzzles sells well some publishers will take another look at the 3ds market.
Vita is getting all the JP mobile ports, just not the popular ones, lol.

L Thammy

I'm not sure how accurate this comparison is for the long run, but woah, looks like it's going to be huge at least initially, then :O

P&D Z seemed like a wildcard to me...like it could either blow hot or cold.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/08/puzzle-dragons-reaches-2-million-downloads-north-america/
"Puzzle & Dragons has been downloaded 21 million times between just Japan and Korea."

Not very familiar with this game, but it seems like it's big enough to operate as casual IP. A big drop after first week is more in line with core-oriented games.

P&D will sell a lot at launch, no doubt, but whether it reaches 1 or 2 million will depend on the quality of the game. It's great to hear the demo was well received.

It would be nice to have a new million seller in Japan, I hope Youkai Watch gets there tooy. Once again, will depend on the quality of the anime. By the way, I bet the new Youkai Watch game will be sold in two different versions, just like Inazuma Eleven, get money bitch!

As for this week's sales, I have the impression that Vita will start increasing, Bravely Default will surprise us, and Dragon Quest X will sell really well, possibly more than Final Fantasy XIV LTD (230k) in a few weeks.

Doesn't it usually take longer for Sony systems to start increasing?

Edit: Nvm holy cow it's already Dec 8th

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/08/puzzle-dragons-reaches-2-million-downloads-north-america/
"Puzzle & Dragons has been downloaded 21 million times between just Japan and Korea."

Not very familiar with this game, but it seems like it's big enough to operate as casual IP. A big drop after first week is more in line with core-oriented games.

Yeah, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the addictive F2P/micro-transactions nature of the game. Apparently the 3DS version plays more like a traditional RPG.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the addictive F2P/micro-transactions nature of the game. Apparently the 3DS version plays more like a traditional RPG.

Which is a good thing, you wouldn't want to pay £30 or the Japanese equivalent for a half assessed mobile port (somehow angry birds does it).

It's pretty big. In July it made $4.9 million every day. That's equal to about 3 million retail game sales every single month. I know it's a rough comparison but still it's no wonder why almost every publisher is going mobile. They're desperately trying to recreate its success.

Thorgal

It's pretty big. In July it made $4.9 million every day. That's equal to about 3 million retail game sales every single month. I know it's a rough comparison but still it's no wonder why almost every publisher is going mobile. They're desperately trying to recreate its success.

Yet it is questionable how many will actually be successive .

I fear it will end up the same as Everyone chasing those COD numbers yet hardly anyone reaching those numbers .

Mr Swine

Banned

It would be nice to have a new million seller in Japan, I hope Youkai Watch gets there too. Once again, will depend on the quality of the anime. By the way, I bet the new Youkai Watch game will be sold in two different versions, just like Inazuma Eleven, get money bitch!

As for this week's sales, I have the impression that Vita will start increasing, Bravely Default will surprise us, and Dragon Quest X will sell really well, possibly more than Final Fantasy XIV LTD (230k) in a few weeks. Oh and the limited Orange/Turquoise 3DS XL is in stock again.

Vita is getting all the JP mobile ports, just not the popular ones, lol.

Is Vita getting a big game this week?

How likely is the P&D game going to reach a million?

In an ironic twist GungHo and Puzzle & Dragons are going to save dedicated handhelds?

This is why P&DZ exploding on 3DS can only be a godsend, now I can't predict the future (my crystal ball expired, never buy your crystal balls from vending machines kids), but surely a game like this doing huge numbers can highly encourage existing mobile devs to migrate to 3DS development, OR at least port/adapt over existing mobile games in the same manner. At least slowing down the mobile-only thing going on these last few years.

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)[/U][/B]

[b]01. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Limited Edition Box -15th Anniversary-) – 298pt[/b]
[b]02. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind – 176pt[/b]
[b]03. [3DS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Clash! Duel Carnival – 97pt[/b]
[b]04. [WII] Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion) – 88pt[/b]
[b]05. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Supernova – 71pt[/b]
[b]06. [WIU] Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion) – 55pt[/b]
07. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World – 54pt
08. [3DS] Pokémon X – 52pt
[b]09. [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel – 45pt[/b]
10. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 43pt
11. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII – 42pt
12. [3DS] Pokémon Y – 41pt
13. [PSP] God Eater 2 – 40pt
[b]14. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang – 37pt[/b]
15. [PS3] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag – 35pt
16. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 – 35pt
17. [PSV] God Eater 2 – 32pt
18. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends – 27pt
[b]19. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 – 27pt[/b]
20. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V – 24pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9
PS3 - 6
WIU - 2
WII - 1
PSP - 1
PSV - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Sandfox

Are you guys really surprised about PDZ being so popular? The mobile version is huge and the 3DS is doing very well in Japan.

Comgnet Comparison:

Gran Turismo (648,650 first week, 2,186,375 total)
Gran Turismo 2 (748,581 first week, 1,460,687 total)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (468,391 first week, 1,438,743 total)
Gran Turismo 4: Prologue (203,300 first week, 747,692 total)
Gran Turismo 4 (663,543 first week, 1,066,749 total)

Gran Turismo PSP - 278pt (143,903 first week, 300,871 total) first week)
Gran Turismo 5 - 1051pt (410,486 first week, 600,860 total)
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue - 254pt (108,040 first week, 238,578 total)

Gran Turismo 6 - 325pt

Mory Dunz

Had a feeling Attack on Titan would be up there.

Is Mario holding well? Was it at 50something points last week too?

DQX U seems like a decent number comparitively, but I don't know expectations, so it could be worse than I thought.

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)[/U][/B]

[b]01. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Limited Edition Box -15th Anniversary-) – 298pt[/b]
[b]02. [3DS] Shingeki no Kyoujin: Jinrui Saigo no Tsubasa – 176pt[/b]
[b]03. [3DS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Clash! Duel Carnival – 97pt[/b]
[b]04. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online – 88pt[/b]
[b]05. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Supernova – 71pt[/b]
[b]06. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online – 55pt[/b]
07. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World – 54pt
08. [3DS] Pokémon X – 52pt
[b]09. [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel – 45pt[/b]
10. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 43pt
11. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII – 42pt
12. [3DS] Pokémon Y – 41pt
13. [PSP] God Eater 2 – 40pt
[b]14. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang – 37pt[/b]
15. [PS3] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag – 35pt
16. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 – 35pt
17. [PSV] God Eater 2 – 32pt
18. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends – 27pt
[b]19. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 – 27pt[/b]
20. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V – 24pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9
PS3 - 6
WIU - 2
WII - 1
PSP - 1
PSV - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Shouldn't P&DZ be there? *confused*

Had a feeling Attack on Titan would be up there.

Is Mario holding well? Was it at 50something points last week too?

DQX U seems like a decent number comparitively, but I don't know expectations, so it could be worse than I thought.

Shingeki no Kyoujin: Jinrui Saigo no Tsubasa = Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind

I'll change the title.

Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package (December 11th) is the final release for Wii U in 2013.

The next confirmed release is the physical version of Wii Fit U, releasing February 1st, 2014 in Japan.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online is the final release for Wii U in 2013.

The next confirmed release is the physical version of Wii Fit U, releasing February 1st, 2014 in Japan.

Eh they really should have got that out by Christmas, seriously missed the boat there.

Road

Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online is the final release for Wii U in 2013.

There's still another
irrelevant online
game from one of Japan's biggest third party franchises.

hiska-kun

They created the DQX shortages on purpose to fill the gap confirmed.

Lexxism

Let's put it this way

Comgnet's store chain - as of December 7th, 2013

[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 558pt
[3DS] Puzzle and Dragons Z - 678pt

Wow. I'm really amazed with Animal Crossing legs. Looks like it will sell again this holiday season. (unless this was last year and was just being compared with)

P&D did not just jump to 744pt (+64pt). D:

[WIU] Dragon Quest X - 35pt (36,454)
[WIU] Dragon Quest X Version 2 - 55pt (?)

[3DS] Bravely Default - 288pt (144,909)
[3DS] Bravely Default FTS - 45pt (?)

[3DS] Fantasy Life - 258pt (134,008)
[3DS] Fantasy Life Link - 13pt (18,946)

hiska-kun

Wow. I'm really amazed with Animal Crossing legs. Looks like it will sell again this holiday season. (unless this was last year and was just being compared with)

That's the pre-orders Animal Crossing had 5 days before its release.

What mpl90 means is that P&DZ pre-orders are quite higher (in this chain of stores).

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I don't t that's Animal crossings current ranking (that's a preorder chart) it's comparing near launch to near launch.

This should push 3DS YTD over last years for this year should. Hopefully it does after so many large sellers..

There's still another
irrelevant online
game from one of Japan's biggest third party franchises.

I know it looks like I didn't mean it at all, but I actually meant to say Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package.

For some reason I had the Dragon Quest expansion on my mind...I changed it, though.

Lexxism

That's the pre-orders Animal Crossing had 5 days before its release.

What mpl90 means is that P&DZ pre-orders are quite higher (in this chain of stores).

I don't t that's Animal crossings current ranking (that's a preorder chart) it's comparing near launch to near launch.

This should push 3DS YTD over last years for this year should. Hopefully it does after so many large sellers..

Yeah, that's what I thought at first. Thanks anyway for clarification.

Comgnet pre order points:

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 742pt (three days before release, still growing)

[3DS] Dragon Quest VII - 722pt (final)
[3DS] Animal Crossing New Leaf - 655pt (final)

iN7Kq6RzSp5a5.jpg

hiska-kun

Comgnet pre order points:

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 742pt (three days before release, still growing)

[3DS] Dragon Quest VII - 722pt (final)
[3DS] Animal Crossing New Leaf - 655pt (final)

First week:

[3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090) - 836.654
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 721.786

Puzzle & Dragons Z - ¿?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So It may sell around a million in the first week. It may pass a million considering how close to Christmas we are (holy shit we're really close to Christmas).

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)[/U][/B]

[b]01./NEW [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Limited Edition Box -15th Anniversary-)[/b]	[b]01. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Limited Edition Box -15th Anniversary-) &#8211; 298pt[/b]
[b]02./NEW [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind[/b]		[b]02. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind &#8211; 176pt[/b]
[b]03./NEW [WII] Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion)[/b]		[b]03. [3DS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Clash! Duel Carnival &#8211; 97pt[/b]
[b]04./NEW [WIU] Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion)[/b]		[b]04. [WII] Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion) &#8211; 88pt[/b]
[b]05./NEW [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Supernova[/b]			[b]05. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Supernova &#8211; 71pt[/b]
[b]06./NEW [3DS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Clash! Duel Carnival[/b]			[b]06. [WIU] Dragon Quest X Online Version 2 (Expansion) &#8211; 55pt[/b]
[b]07./NEW [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel[/b]				07. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World &#8211; 54pt
[b]08./NEW [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang[/b]			08. [3DS] Pokémon X &#8211; 52pt
09./01. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII			[b]09. [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel &#8211; 45pt[/b]
10./09. [3DS] Pokémon X							10. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 &#8211; 43pt
11./07. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World					11. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII &#8211; 42pt
12./12. [3DS] Pokémon Y							12. [3DS] Pokémon Y &#8211; 41pt
13./05. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014				13. [PSP] God Eater 2 &#8211; 40pt
[b]14./NEW [PS3] Gran Turismo 6[/b]						[b]14. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang &#8211; 37pt[/b]
15./04. [PS3] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag				15. [PS3] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag &#8211; 35pt
16./06. [PSV] God Eater 2						16. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 &#8211; 35pt
17./02. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2				17. [PSV] God Eater 2 &#8211; 32pt
18./15. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4						18. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends &#8211; 27pt
19./03. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends			[b]19. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 &#8211; 27pt[/b]
20./11. [PSP] God Eater 2						20. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V &#8211; 24pt
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9									3DS - 9
PS3 - 6									PS3 - 6
WIU - 2									WIU - 2
WII - 1									WII - 1
PSV - 1									PSP - 1
PSP - 1									PSV - 1[/B]

[b][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

[3DS] Gaist Crusher
[3DS] Gaist Crusher (Bakuatsu! Gaifon Set)

[PSV] Tearaway
[PSV] Batman: Arkham Begins Blackgate

[WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
[WIU] Batman: Arkham Begins

[PS3] Kaihou Shoujo Sin
[PS3] Kaihou Shoujo Sin (Limited Edition)
[PS3] Batman: Arkham Begins
[PS3] Batman: Arkham Begins (Collector's Edition)
[PS3] The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
[PS3] Yakuza 5 (PlayStation 3 the Best)
[PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Special Edition)

[360] Batman: Arkham Begins[/b]

For the people who aren't regulars in Media Create threads:

What is Tsutaya?
Tsutaya is a major retailer with 1,442 retail stores (610 that sell new games) all across Japan.

What is Comgnet?
Comgnet is the website for the retailer "COMG!" that has 17 retail stores across the Niigata Prefecture in Japan.

Why post these rankings?
They are released three days before Media Create + Famitsu + Dengeki give us nationwide sales, so we get a general indication of how well the games will perform relative to their competition.

How accurate is Tsutaya compared to nationwide retail tracking services?
It's large enough that it gives a very probable indication of future sales rankings, but it's not large enough to be definitive.

How accurate was Tsutaya's rankings last week?
Code:
01./01. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (#3 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 2[/B]
02./NEW [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 (#1 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 1[/B] 
03./NEW [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (#5 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 2[/B]
04./NEW [PS3] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (#6 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 2[/B]
05./03. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 (#7 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 2[/B]
06./05. [PSV] God Eater 2 (#12 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 6[/B]
07./02. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World (#4 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 3[/B]
08./NEW [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 (Puku Petit Pack) = N/A (Media Create combines normal version + Puku Petit Pack)
09./08. [3DS] Pokémon X = N/A (Media Create combines Pokemon X + Y)
10./06. [PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled Edition) (#11 with Media Create) = [B]Difference of 1[/B]
Total amount of deviation (#1-#10): 19 places
So, the average ranking in Tsutaya (#1-#10) was ~2.4 places different from Media Create's weekly rankings last week.
Week 47: ~1.3 places different
Week 48: ~2.4 places different
Rankings #11-#20 were more nebulous (due in part to inherent discrepancies).

Famitsu: ~3,600 stores
Media Create + Dengeki: >3,000 stores
Tsutaya: 610 stores
Comgnet: 17 stores

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

Top Bottom