• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2015 (Nov 23 - Nov 29)

Pranay

Well the wording we used to have was "Coming first to Z", or "First on...", like with a lot of timed DLC and timed exclusives. But then TR gave us the obfuscated exclusive that isn't exclusive. At some point, I imagine we're going to start reaching the "console* exclusive" because handhelds aren't consoles.

I don't know why we've now reached "console exclusive debut" when "coming first" was clear-cut and obvious in its meaning. Is the debut exclusive to the console? Is the debut console exclusive but also coming out on PC?

Oh well, I expect they'll clarify in the near term and we'll know more. If they don't then I will assume the most obfuscated reading possible.

Honestly for any third party game you can never say "Only on Playstation" because they might release there games on another platform in the future.

So they have to use others term and honestly they are easy
Console Exclusive = Only PS4 and in future PC or whenever they feel like
Console Debut = Timed Exclusive On PS4, will come later on other platforms

Nice announcements for PS4. Ni-oh will be able to sell to the 250k fanbase interested in gore and mature action games à la BloodBorne, while Ni no Kuni 2 will probably be able to reack 200k units this time.

For the game itself, I was expecting something more akin to FFX/X-2 in terms of budget and scope, so it raised my sales expectations considerably.

I honestly don't understand how you were expecting something akin to FFX/X-2, since those were remastered versions while FFVII has always been marketed as a remake.

I honestly don't understand how you were expecting something akin to FFX/X-2, since those were remastered versions while FFVII has always been marketed as a remake.
I think he means that he expected a turn-based game like FF X|X-2 while we are getting a full-on action based game with cinematic set pieces and exploration. I am really interested to see how they handle the world map and some of the epic sequences from FFVII like the Weapons attack on Midgar.

Vena

I think he means that he expected a turn-based game like FF X|X-2 while we are getting a full-on action based game with cinematic set pieces and exploration. I am really interested to see how they handle the world map and some of the epic sequences from FFVII like the Weapons attack on Midgar.

I suspect the long-hallway contracting business will be seeing a boon in Midgar. :p

He wrote about "budget and scope" so I was assuming he was talking about the Remaster, because otherwise the original FFX was a huge game in terms of budget and scope at that time, and it would not fit the sentence.

I will be honest with you all :

we decided to make Ni no Kuni 2 on PS4 cause we are focusing all our efforts on YW, Jibanyan must destroy that yellow electric thing

watch out for YW3, summer 2016 release !!!

tumblr_nte2xz5MrA1r7rm1so1_500.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nice announcements for PS4. Ni-oh will be able to sell to the 250k fanbase interested in gore and mature action games à la BloodBorne, while Ni no Kuni 2 will probably be able to reack 200k units this time.

I was expecting them to be notably overselling bumping up FF7 to mid-tier PS3 graphics (with way less structural changes, like perhaps recreating backgrounds in more modern top down graphics instead of full third person PS4 grade 3D) given FFXV has taken them a decade and assuredly $100-$200 million at this point.

That said the rumor is that it's externally developed, so I'm guessing they felt way more confident in the outside studio making it in a timely fashion and not having an astronomical budget and delay explosion into the middle of the PS5 generation.

I'm gonna have to disagree with that. FFVII fans aren't necessarily fans of other FF games and they may not plan on purchasing FFXV. FF has been in decline for many years now so I think there's a large number of VII fans who may pick up a PS4 for the remake, so I see VII Remake being the stronger system seller, by a long shot.

I'm trying to work out the profile of this person in question though on the following basis:

1.) Japanese core games in basically every major franchise coming to PS4 will have been released by the time FF7 comes out, but this person wanted none of them.
2.) Being an FF7 mega fan who will buy a PS4 just for FF7, presumably they were a PS1 gamer, but do not like any other PS1 series like Dragon Quest, Tales, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Street Fighter, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Ace Combat, Persona, or Star Ocean.
3.) They also don't like any games that took heavy cues from the cinematic gaming trend amplified by FF7 like Kingdom Hearts or Yakuza.
4.) On top of this all, they're not even interested in Final Fantasy XV, despite FF7 having morphed to look more like it.
5.) This person is actually really common and will drive a major sustained increase (akin to say, Splatoon) in PlayStation 4 sales in Fall 2017 or later instead of a short lived bump.

Am I perceiving any of this incorrectly?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 50, 2015 (Dec 7 - Dec 13)

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X < 160k (average 150k)
02. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam < 45k (average 40k)
03. [WIU] Splatoon < 40k (average 35k)
00. [3DS] Yokai-Watch Busters < 35k (average 30k)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
YSO predictions

Week 50, 2015 (Dec 37 - Dec 13)

Is that first week M&L? That'd be really bad right? Also 12/37?

YSO predictions

Week 50, 2015 (Dec 37 - Dec 13)

Paper Bomba.

Lol, December 37th.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Monster Hunter X digital is over 300,000 :-O

...It surpassed The Battle Cats, didn't it?

*takes a look at charts*

Yep, it did. At this point, I don't think nearing the original Monster Hunter 4's digital sales is impossible.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Paper Mario: Sticker Star must have really Mario RPGs.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team ended overshipped in the end and maybe the same will happen with Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

i must admit watching the new FF VII trailer at PS Experience felt surreal.

SquareEnix is struggling with a project the size of XV already and now they come with this showcase suggesting the VII Remake will be something of similar scale and ambition.

It is so strange that i can't shake the feeling that maybe, they are kind of overselling what the proyect will actually end up been. i think SquareEnix is in "sell/save the PS4 in Japan" mode and trying with all their might to make the system look good.

If my feelings are missplaced then i must said it's super impressive they could handle 2 proyects of this scale.

SquareEnix is struggling with a project the size of XV already and now they come with this showcase suggesting the VII Remake will be something of similar scale and ambition.

It is so strange that i can't shake the feeling that maybe, they are kind of overselling what the proyect will actually end up been. i think SquareEnix is in "sell/save the PS4 in Japan" mode and trying with all their might to make the system look good.

If my feelings are missplaced then i must said it's super impressive they could handle 2 proyects of this scale.

1. outsourcing (CC2?);
2. FFVII won't have the same scale as FFXV - it will likely not be an open-world, for once, and a more streamlined game.

1. outsourcing (CC2?);
2. FFVII won't have the same scale as FFXV - it will likely not be an open-world, for once, and a more streamlined game.
I am trying to figure out how this will work? There was a huge ass open world map for FFVII, perhaps even bigger than FFXV, and they won't include it? The Remake is as good as dead then.

They are definitely not overselling it. FF7R is the real deal, entire remake with PS4 specs. This is game has the potential of becoming SE's best selling title of all time. SE is in "we are going to make the most of PS4's success" mode. I don't know what happened in that office but the turn around is simply unbelievable.
I reckon FFXVI has already started development.

hiska-kun

COMG

First Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 3806pt
Second Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 1158pt

Media Create

First Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 1,488k
Second Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - ~450k??

AniHawk

I raise you a (well these are my predictions from years ago for ff and kh)

FFXV 2017
KH3 2018
DQ11 2016
FF7 2019-2020 (was made before I knew it was UE4 and saw the footage today. So dunno. I still think it'll be the last one released of these 4...)

not the most popular predictions

this sounds about right to me.

dqxi is dq's 30th anniversary title. they can also launch it on ps4, nx, and 3ds at the same time in japan.

final fantasy versus xiii is probably not long after. i think they'll try to get it out in the next fiscal year, before march 2017 (and maybe in march with some stuff cut and made into dlc). but maybe they'll let dragon quest carry them that year. i don't know.

kingdom hearts iii was impossibly early in 2013. it's looking better now, although i think it's something they'll have in 2017 or 2018.

final fantasy vii r's status depends on how far they'll go in remaking it. do the entire overworld and it's going to take a while. i think we only saw the extremely early midgar stuff for a reason this year. the game is not going to be out for a very very long time. seems like an end-of-generation project so 2019 sounds about right, maybe as a crossgen title on ps4 and ps5/xb4/nxv2

i don't know if we'll see final fantasy xvi this year. i worry it'll look like the other nomura stuff we've had for the franchise for the last decade.

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter X: 1158 pts
  2. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Mix: 72pts
  3. [WIU] Splatoon; 30pts
  4. [PS4] Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Edition (Limited Edition) - 28pts
  5. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III: 23pts
  6. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad - 23pts
  7. [WIU] Super Mario Maker - 22pts
  8. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront - 18pts
  9. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team - 23pts
  10. [3DS] Disney Magical Castle 2 - 14pts
  11. [3DS] Aikatsu! My No.1 Stage - 12pts
  12. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - 11pts
  13. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III: 11pts
  14. [PSV] Minecraf: PlayStation Vita Edition - 10pts
  15. [PSV] God Eater: Ressurection - 10pts
  16. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 10pts
  17. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu - 10pts
  18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 9pts
  19. [3DS] Pokémon Rumble World - 8pts
  20. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best + - 8pts
Two days after preorders opened, the Fortissimo Edition of #FE isn't on comgnet, not even the standard SKU is there.

I was expecting them to be notably overselling bumping up FF7 to mid-tier PS3 graphics (with way less structural changes, like perhaps recreating backgrounds in more modern top down graphics instead of full third person PS4 grade 3D) given FFXV has taken them a decade and assuredly $100-$200 million at this point.

Tabata said XV's budget is no where near GTAV. Remember they didnt go into full production until late 2011. A 5 year dev cycle isnt unusual in AAA development.

Bruno MB

COMG

First Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 3806pt
Second Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 1158pt

Media Create

First Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 1,488k
Second Week
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - ~450k??

Second Week:

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 1041pt (473.739 Media Create / 432.286 Famitsu)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 678pt (327.212 Media Create / 260.485 Famitsu)

&#332;kami;188162910 said:
[*][PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 10pts

Didn't even notice that in there until I saw you'd bolded it. Lower than Vita opening, but I wonder what legs it'll have.

&#332;kami;188162910 said:
  1. [3DS] Monster Hunter X: 1158 pts
  2. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Mix: 72pts
  3. [WIU] Splatoon; 30pts
  4. [PS4] Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Edition (Limited Edition) - 28pts
  5. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III: 23pts
  6. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad - 23pts
  7. [WIU] Super Mario Maker - 22pts
  8. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront - 18pts
  9. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team - 23pts
  10. [3DS] Disney Magical Castle 2 - 14pts
  11. [3DS] Aikatsu! My No.1 Stage - 12pts
  12. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - 11pts
  13. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III: 11pts
  14. [PSV] Minecraf: PlayStation Vita Edition - 10pts
  15. [PSV] God Eater: Ressurection - 10pts
  16. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 10pts
  17. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu - 10pts
  18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 9pts
  19. [3DS] Pokémon Rumble World - 8pts
  20. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best + - 8pts
Two days after preorders opened, the Fortissimo Edition of #FE isn't on comgnet, not even the standard SKU is there.

This was expected but I wonder what it's LTD will be. XCX has sold 100k iirc.

Vena

Didn't even notice that in there until I saw you'd bolded it. Lower than Vita opening, but I wonder what legs it'll have.

Well. Minecraft U may or may not happen very soon, and then its a question of which console plays Splatoon as to where the console legs for this will go. The PS4 isn't exactly rolling in titles that resonate with Minecraft's demographic nor does it have the advantages of the Vita (and low price).

Minecraft/Vita is still going to be the best thing for kids, though.

Well. Minecraft U may or may not happen very soon, and then its a question of which console plays Splatoon as to where the console legs for this will go. The PS4 isn't exactly rolling in titles that resonate with Minecraft's demographic nor does it have the advantages of the Vita (and low price).

Minecraft/Vita is still going to be the best thing for kids, though.

Amazon are selling it for the same price as the Vita version - slightly lower in fact (¥2200, don't have the exact number to hand).

And really, Vita wasn't rolling in titles that resonate with Minecraft's demographic either. It had like, one game (?) imed at a younger audience that I can think of (Little Battlers) which was 3 years before Minecraft and kinda flopped. Maybe Digimon & Gundam Breaker too, but I get the feeling they were skewed slightly older.

Point being, anyway, that Minecraft did enough on its own to draw an audience in. But yes, I get that it's an easier sell for a parent to pick up a cheaper handheld with a copy of Minecraft than it is an expensive home console, but still, it'll be interesting to watch.

Have we have any inkling of Minecraft WiiU beyond that removed PEGI rating? Even then, it's been months between digital -> retail release of it on PlayStation consoles, so I'd guess it's a long while off being any kind of a factor on WiiU, if it even exists :p

Vena

Amazon are selling it for the same price as the Vita version - slightly lower in fact (¥2200, don't have the exact number to hand).

Point being, anyway, that Minecraft did enough on its own to draw an audience in. But yes, I get that it's an easier sell for a parent to pick up a cheaper handheld with a copy of Minecraft than it is an expensive home console, but still, it'll be interesting to watch.

The price of the Vita itself. A cheap product with one thing for a kid is completely different from an expensive console for one thing for a kid, and you can't show off console stuff at school.

Have we have any inkling of Minecraft WiiU beyond that removed PEGI rating? Even then, it's been months between digital -> retail release of it on PlayStation consoles, so I'd guess it's a long while off being any kind of a factor on WiiU, if it even exists :p

No clue. We'll see though, and Nintendo may push it out faster to go along with SMM.

jnWake

I guess Mario and Luigi games are finally reaching franchise fatigue? AlphaDream seems to be a pretty good studio so I hope they get to try something different. I'd love them to do a Zelda RPG in the same vein of the M&L games for example.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 49 2015

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X <ACT> (Capcom)
02./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo)
03./02. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
04./00. [PS4] Bloodborne: Complete Edition <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
05./04. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./03. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
07./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
08./08. [WIU] Super Mario Maker <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./05. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2: My Happy Life <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./16. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
11./21. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
12./10. [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
13./24. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
14./17. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
14./28. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer <ETC> (Nintendo)
16./00. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
17./27. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami)
18./23. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes <ADV> (Nintendo)
19./20. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate <ACT> (Ubisoft)
20./14. [WIU] Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival <ETC> (Nintendo)

____

Youkai Just Dance Bomba lol

Mory Dunz

Paper Mario: Sticker Star must have really Mario RPGs.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team ended overshipped in the end and maybe the same will happen with Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Coming out ~6 months between each other didn't help.

Man, Sony should've never let monster hunter go. Should have agreed to whatever deal capcom wanted.

Yeah, unless the deal capcom wanted was nintendo.

I guess Mario and Luigi games are finally reaching franchise fatigue? AlphaDream seems to be a pretty good studio so I hope they get to try something different. I'd love them to do a Zelda RPG in the same vein of the M&L games for example.

Eh, I'm not sure. Maybe the Mario RPG audience is pretty educated. The games haven't been up to par and Sticker Star soiled the pot a little bit. Plus the reused assets. The metacritic is decent enough but maybe the fans aren't buying based on quality. If we get another BiS or TTYD and it bombs (although, techincally TTYD didn't do great saleswise), then we can say that more for sure. I also feel like they didn't hype this game/show it nearly as much.

But looking at the second week predictions, it might have some legs...

this sounds about right to me.

Someone actually agreeing with my prediction? not sure how to feel ;)

YSO predictions

Week 50, 2015 (Dec 7 - Dec 13)

Sheesh splatoon. Wonder what hw will be.

Ōkami

The second Yokai Watch movie will be coming out a couple of days after Star Wars, wonder how it'll compare.

It's coming out the week before Xmas week so Yokai Watch busters should bump nicely, it would without the movie anyway though.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So... if JD: YW bombs too... are we expecting Taiko to be the best seller of the holiday titles? I really didn't expect all 3 bigger new Wii U titles (Taiko, AC:AF & JD:YW) to fail.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well, not sure about my 2019 FF7 prediction now...

FE sharrrp

Based on the episodic stuff? Yeh... Way to kill the hype :(. Only way I'd probably be ok with that is if they do "part 1 = FF7, part 2 = crisis core" or something, or that they're just releasing it over time for w/e reason.

AniHawk

now i'm really confident that ffvii remake won't be done for several more years. they're going to have people pay for it in parts to help fund the entire project.

Top Bottom