• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2015 (Nov 23 - Nov 29)

sphinx

the piano man
I think it had a great life in Japan, but not a terribly exciting one either. Time and lack of plausible competition helped.

Still far from a failure, but not sure at which point you can call it "a success". Success in terms of software maybe?

mmh hard to say, I am probably very wrong (don't know the numbers by heart), but I think its JPN software sales are comporable to that of the gamecube? 1 game over a million plus several 500k and more 300k with most doing much less than that. Isn't that what PS3 has done so far, mostly?

NGC software must have been profitable for nintendo so PS3 SW business must have been good for sony too, I'd guess

Bulzeeb

...Damn. Well, even in death, he continues to save Nintendo.

tumblr_inline_ms7j82RVrr1rz9ifr.jpg

back on topic, I am sure Splatoon is the surprise of the year.

Mr Swine

Banned
Omg fantastic hardware sales all around and wow at MHX, Splatoon and SMM. I never thought SMM would sell more than 250k and it looks like it could reach 500k at the end of the year!

Davey Cakes

I had to double-take at those Monster Hunter sales. Astounding. O_O

I didn't know games could still sell like that in Japan, and I didn't realize 3DS could ever see another week beyond 100k.

Nice to see the little bumps to Wii U and SMM and Splatoon.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
great 3ds and mh numbers, good hold for ps4, but I' really impressed by wiiu hw and splatoonsmm software...!

Jasper

This Capcom-Nintendo partnership with the Monster Hunter franchise has been so incredibly successful. With rumours swirling that the Nintendo NX is a cross-play hybrid handheld/home console, you can pretty much guarantee that Nintendo & Capcom are teaming up again to bring the Monster Hunter franchise to the NX.

This Capcom-Nintendo partnership with the Monster Hunter franchise has been so incredibly successful. With rumours swirling that the Nintendo NX is a cross-play hybrid handheld/home console, you can pretty much guarantee that Nintendo & Capcom are teaming up again to bring the Monster Hunter franchise to the NX.

Absolutely.

Nintendo also plays a big hand in the western advertising (and possibly in localizations? Not sure of the latter), Sony wouldn't even allow then to localize Portable 3rd for whatever reason. There was some sort of brick wall with Sony I think word has said?

test_account

XP-39C²
Absolutely.

Nintendo also plays a big hand in the western advertising (and possibly in localizations? Not sure of the latter), Sony wouldn't even allow then to localize Portable 3rd for whatever reason. There was some sort of brick wall with Sony I think word has said?
I think you're thinking about MHP3rd HD for PS3, where neither Capcom or Sony would want to change things to make a western release happening. Capcom used Ad Hoc Party which is/was a service only available in Japan. I havnt heard anything about MPH3rd PSP.

Sterok

That's Monster Hunter all right. It refuses to disappoint and can still breath life into its platform. Noce performance by the Wii U evergreens. Splatoon is not acting like a 6 month old game. More importantly, is that Aikatsu debut good or bad?

I think you're thinking about MHP3rd HD for PS3, where neither Capcom or Sony would want to change things to make a western release happening. Capcom used Ad Hoc Party which is/was a service only available in Japan. I havnt heard anything about MPH3rd PSP.

It was likely that, yeah.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Fallout 4 should help, yeah?

Well, Battlefront did nothing for PS4 with >120,000 first week...
CoD increased PS4 sales, but because the bundle.

So, i don't think Fallout will help, even with +100,000 FW. Not withouth a bundle, imo.

Doesn't 3DS need to average at least 90K a week to do that? I can see it sell 140k as most in the busiest week in Japan, if not more

112k for be correct.

But yeah, one week ago a lot of people said was impossible lol.

Alrus

Those are some mighty good sales for a MH spin-off, I honestly thought it was going to do even worse than MH4G considering it heavily reuses content. Guess the combat and QoL change were enough to convince people. Let's see how it does in the next few weeks legs wise, with such a good debut it might outsell MH4G eventually?

Absolutely.

I don't think so, localization is done by 8-4 and I'm assuming Capcom is paying them not Nintendo.

And P3rd didn't release on the PSP in the west because the PSP was completely dead (also maybe because Freedom Unite didn't sell very well in the west iirc?) and they couldn't release the PS3 version for reasons relating to Sony I forgot about.

Eolz

I think Nintendo paid for Tri's localization, but "only" helped with publishing and marketing in the west after that.

Bruno MB

Thanks for that. Whats the reason for the low sales for one of the PS2 entries?

[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Taiko Drum Master (Namco) {2005.03.17} - 3.203 / NEW <12,5%> [25.604 units shipped]

This game was first released in the US market with songs that appeal to western audiences, the localized Japanese version basically shares the same tracks. I guess this is the reason why it was so poorly received. Expectations were pretty low going by initial shipment data.

NeonZ

Well, those are disappointing numbers for both Neptunia & Criminal Girls. Lowest selling spinoff for the former; selling as much as the PSP remake for the latter.

Odd thing is that at least watching videos it seems like the closest spin off to the mainline games.

I guess that not featuring the Lastation/Lowee/Leanbox characters and focusing everything on the Sega console counterparts limited its appeal. I haven't read impressions though.

Ratrat

I had to double-take at those Monster Hunter sales. Astounding. O_O

I didn't know games could still sell like that in Japan, and I didn't realize 3DS could ever see another week beyond 100k.

Nice to see the little bumps to Wii U and SMM and Splatoon.
Er, its in line with the portable games for years. Yokai Watch and Pokemon sell in the same ballpark too. Good numbers should not come as a shock.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think Nintendo paid for Tri's localization, but "only" helped with publishing and marketing in the west after that.
Which definitely helped a lot considering it allowed both MH4 and MH4U to ship 4 million, MH growth in the west is certainly one of Capcomd biggest perks in all this

Memory

Been having lots of fun with Blade Arcus (PS4) but with no Net Play I didn't expect it to sell well at all. If you have a few local buddies like I do its an awesome Samurai Showdown-like 2D sword based fighting game with a nice soundtrack.

Splatoon is just straight crazy, I hope Nintendo are working on an animated show or other ways to capitalise on this great new IP. Sequel as an NX launch title please, kthanksbye.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Er, its in line with the portable games for years. Yokai Watch and Pokemon sell in the same ballpark too. Good numbers should not come as a shock.

It's a Monster Hunter third year in a row and it's not supposed to be a clear mainline entry. Retailers at least didn't see it coming.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, and I've been keeping up with Media Create threads so games like YW, Pokémon, and even other titles >1mil like Animal Crossing: HHD show that games can sell like this.

I guess I'm just pessimistic. And for some reason 1.5million just seems like a lot to me.

Methinks Nintendo are going to enjoy the holidays in Japan.

Also, whoever originally negotiated the migration of Monster Hunter to Nintendo systems probably deserves a raise.

I am not sure there was a lot to negotiate. MH was going to Nintendo by default considering the success of DS and the increased power of 3DS. Only Sony offering some kind of huuge moneyhat would have prevented that.

Mr Swine

Banned
I am not sure there was a lot to negotiate. MH was going to Nintendo by default considering the success of DS and the increased power of 3DS. Only Sony offering some kind of huuge moneyhat would have prevented that.

I do wonder if Capcom ever announces a port of monhun 3/4 (not G and X) at PSX for next year how much it would sell on Vita and how much hardware it would move. It would be interesting to see but that will never happen

112k for be correct.

But yeah, one week ago a lot of people said was impossible lol.[/QUOTE]

Oops, I read the numbers wrong and you are right, 112k a week, depends on next week and the one after

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Pretty crazy 3DS numbers.

How many consecutive weeks has the PS4 been > 25k now?

Since Black Ops III released.
4 weeks. Pretty well all considering.

Oops, I read the numbers wrong and you are right, 112k a week, depends on next week and the one after

And by the week after the week after the week after this week + the week after the week after the week after the week after this. :p

Parshias7

Wasn't there also some policy that PSP remasters had to be part of a bundle, not standalone? I'm struggling to think of another PSP remaster that didn't come with another game...

Hot debut for MHX - with more stocks it could have sold north to 2m, which is crazy considering it's not a mainline entry. Hw boost is super-nice, too.

02./00. [3DS] Aikatsu! My No.1 Stage! <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.26} (¥5.627) - 24.918 / NEW

Small drop compared to the previous entry (33k units) - it will sell well during holidays and is almost assured to reach the 100k mark.

03./08. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 23.823 / 825.940 (+35%)
04./11. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥6.156) - 18.639 / 410.432 (+41%)

Nintendo holiday legs at work.

06./00. [PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Vs. Sega Hard Girls: Yume no Gattai Special # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2015.11.26} (¥7.344) - 16.941 / NEW
08./00. [PSV] Criminal Girls 2 # <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.11.26} (¥6.458) - 15.196 / NEW

Lowest debut ever for a Neptunia game (overcrowding?) and also a drop from Criminal Girls 1 and on par with the remake - seems NI cannot catch a break.

11./00. [PS4] Blade Arcus from Shining EX # <FTG> (Sega) {2015.11.26} (¥7.549) - 12.469 / NEW
16./00. [PS3] Blade Arcus from Shining EX # <FTG> (Sega) {2015.11.26} (¥7.549) - 8.083 / NEW

Seems a terrible result.

18./12. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2015.11.19} (¥5.184) - 6.012 / 18.892 <40-60%> (-53%)

Let's see if it can reach the 100k mark as the previous one. 3DS has been a nice platform for this small projects.

Always has been wondering why Japan doesn't get same kind of huge holiday deals as Europe and US for PS4. Even 35k yen bundle with SW could have helped some as you get extra game with your console (see how Bloodborne bundle had pretty goood effect on sales). Not to mention 30k (~$300) yen SW bundle that you can get in US in december.

ChaosXVI

Man, Splatoon would be number 1 if it weren't for those 2 new releases...and even then just barely got beat for the number 2 spot. Too bad Monster Hunter is what it is and completed crushed the sales charts.

Splatoon needs merchandising. Animated Series, T-Shirts, toy squirt guns...it's just money waiting to be made Nintendo!

MonHun X did very well, as expected, but I'm most surprised by the 3DS hardware figures. It might be a better final holiday season for the platform than I expected.

Splatoon and SMM doing astonishingly well. Looking forward to seeing the bundle's impact over the next month or so.

Kid Ying

Thanks for that. Whats the reason for the low sales for one of the PS2 entries?
Franchise fatigue on the system most probably. Namco released a lot of those back then.

Anyway, Taiko selling 12k is great, since its better than last year. Hope it has better legs too. It looks retailers learned their lesson from tokumori and ordered a lot less copies. It might sell its shipment this time. Hell, it might even sell better than animal bombing.

Ratrat

It's a Monster Hunter third year in a row and it's not supposed to be a clear mainline entry. Retailers at least didn't see it coming.
What is the significance of a mainline entry with MH? G versions outsell the originals dont they? Its not like they have even been consistent with the series' naming. Btw, I do thinks the numbers are good but in the end it shouldnt be that surprising.

Top Bottom