• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2015 (Nov 23 - Nov 29)

Vena

Ah ok. Point taken. At least opening week was decent. I wonder why it had such amazing opening sales but required extreme price cuts like that?

Well, if it opened at 500 but had a shipment of >1.000... That'd be a bad result for retailers and they'd have enormous stock surplus that they'd need to liquidate.

Wow, what an incredibly odd crowd GAF is. Actually fighting against a great looking MH title.

You will get your wishes. Forevermore. I just find it mind boggling people like ya'll exist.

Yes it would be a big task. Yes it would cost money. Yes it would be worth it. No it will never happen because Capcom doesn't need it to happen. Any gamer should want it though. I'll never back down from that idea

crinale

Ah ok. Point taken. At least opening week was decent. I wonder why it had such amazing opening sales but required extreme price cuts like that?

The issue was that Capcom & Ninty didn't cooperate efficiently, and they staggered the announcement of those "special bundles" (with consoles, Pro controllers and such) to retailers. That resulted overstocking and stores had to get rid of the copies quickly.
Like I said the major price slash started from big retailers, not small shops, and caused other stores go to panic mode.
I think after that Capcom became a little more cautious about announcing bundles and also how much they'd stuff the retail channel.

Edit: This is another reason that they seem to be undershipping MH titles recently. They're trying to avoid devaluing the product in market.

Alrus

Wow, what an incredibly odd crowd GAF is. Actually fighting against a great looking MH title.

You will get your wishes. Forevermore. I just find it mind boggling people like ya'll exist.

Yes it would be a big task. Yes it would cost money. Yes it would be worth it. No it will never happen because Capcom doesn't need it to happen. Any gamer should want it though. I'll never back down from that idea

I want series that I like to be financially successful so they keep making sequels for it. A huge budget console MH wouldn't really guarantee that. Capcom was shy about making SF 5 for pete's sake.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The issue was that Capcom & Ninty didn't cooperate efficiently, and they staggered the announcement of those "special bundles" (with consoles, Pro controllers and such) to retailers. That resulted overstocking and they had to get rid of the copies quickly.
Like I said the major price slash started from big retailers, not small shops, and caused other stores go to panic mode.
I think after that Capcom becamse a little more cautious about announcing bundles and also how much they'd stuff the retail channel.

Hm ok. At least it does sound like a marketing / distribution mess-up from Capcom/Nintendo. I figure with those opening sales and a proper shipment it could've sold at least 700-800K.

Capcom is in such bad financial state that Monster Hunter is pretty much their only franchise that's doing very well (RE is probably fine too). I don't want them messing that up too before they get the rest of their ducks in order. SFV is being financed by Sony, remember?

I want series that I like to be financially successful so they keep making sequels for it. A huge budget console MH wouldn't really guarantee that. Capcom was shy about making SF 5 for pete's sake.

That is understandable but I mean how much would a current gen high asset MH cost? 120 million maybe? They sell 3-5 million copies and is first party so the money is only going to platform royalties. They could easily make their money back and then some.

They could always release a handheld version alongside the big one which alone could make the money back if any is lost.

But meh. Not worth mentioning anymore. It's Just a long standing dream of mine to have a great looking MH.

The MH port-begging is old and tired. You're not going to find a lot of people enthusiastic to talk about Capcom gathering all of their money into one room and setting it on fire.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That is understandable but I mean how much would a current gen high asset MH cost? 120 million maybe? They sell 3-5 million copies and is first party so the money is only going to platform royalties. They could easily make their money back and then some.

They could always release a handheld version alongside the big one which alone could make the money back if any is lost.

But meh. Not worth mentioning anymore. It's Just a long standing dream of mine to have a great looking MH.

Umm chances of that are very low unless your honestly expecting 2-4 million sales from world-wide alone. And you can't exactly port a full fledged PS4 game to 3DS. That would have to be a completely different game, ala DQ11.

Edit: Scratch that even more since there's almost no way it sells 1 million in PS4 in Japan anytime soon.

Holidays generally still cause a boost across the board (even if the Playstation family tends to enjoy its biggest boost after NY). Which is why I asked when we can officially consider it started and that week was 'strange' given that everything went up (which I would think is the start of the holidays) except the PS4 which went down.

Just looking at finding a reason for the 3k-6k (to 80k) bump that the Vita/WiiU saw, while the PS4 slid by 3k (small as these numbers look out of context, in context of the market they are changes of ~10-20%). Nothing new happened much in regards to any of the platforms that seems like a standout explanation aside for the former starting to enjoy holiday movements. Its also possible that PS4 has simply been riding on an unrepresentative high from the stream of releases and the drop has been differed and finally has started catching up.

PS4 went down because last week it got still rather big release (Battlefront). Considering that it ''only'' dropped 3 k to this week when previously the drops have been larger after bigger releases tells at least to me that PS4 also started to enjoy holiday boost already this week despite the drop. Next week it should be going up at least slightly and that trend should continue to the years end.

The MH port-begging is old and tired. You're not going to find a lot of people enthusiastic to talk about Capcom gathering all of their money into one room and setting it on fire.

Sure are a lot of people wanting Dragons Dogma 2 around here

And get lost with that port begging bs. Like someone coming into a sports bar and yelling at everyone to stop saying they wouldn't mind having Tom Brady on their team.

Vena

PS4 went down because last week it got still rather big release (Battlefront). Considering that it ''only'' dropped 3 k to this week when previously the drops have been larger after bigger releases tells at least to me that PS4 also started to enjoy holiday boost already this week despite the drop. Next week it should be going up at least slightly and that trend should continue to the years end.

Battlefront was rather minor in its affects, but I get the idea you're presenting. I think we may actually ultimately share a similar view, just worded different in the event where you think this slide is actually not completely representative and is getting bolstered by holidays. :p

casiopao

Remote play could provide that.

And that was a good way of completely igoring my point lol.

If you want to play MH in the same place with friends, fine, get the handheld version or remote play the PS4 version. I don't see how any gamer would be against a true next gen MH on the big screen. That just doesn't compute.

The spectacle alone would get some people over here who would otherwise ignore a game that looks 15 years old to pick it up.

Hell look at the reception for Deep Down originally for example. Give people insane looking dragons and they will eat it up

Mannn. Remote play as local play alternative? You are joking right?

And this is Japan we are talking. They dont give crap about graphics. We see this smash bros, many game released on both vita and ps3,4.

And of course, game does not suddenly become more nicer looking if they are ported to consoles. They are still looks of investment to do. So it is never logical to do those things.

For those saying free money. I believe Capcom would care more on dedicating their employees energy on other project like mh stories which had chance goes big rather dedicating them into a meager 400k sales.

hiska-kun

Media Create Sell-Through and Comparison

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 1.488.367 / NEW <91,84%> [Units shipped => 1.620.609]

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 1.446.289 / NEW <85,40%> [Units shipped => 1.693.547]

Pre-orders

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 929k
Monster Hunter X - 936k

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

Alrus

3-5 million copies for a console MH? That's insanely optimistic. MH Tri sold 1,9m worldwide for reference.

PS4 maybe was lightly affected by MHX release, if you notice WiiU went up, all nintendo titles had a positive week and also Minecraft, which currently is very popular among children
all this signs clearly indicate the bump was due to national holiday day, while a good part of the PS4 audience is the same of MH one so its sales stepped down compared to previous weeks

also among the 4 systems on the market, sorry XBO, PS4 is the one with the weakest December line-up in my opinion

casiopao

3-5 million copies for a console MH? That's insanely optimistic. MH Tri sold 1,9m worldwide for reference.

Sometimes i feel if those who wanted high quality console MH is living in the same universe as us here.

If they wanted to make a console port with handheld assets, that will be much logical and economic sound.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-Through {2015.12.03}

[WIU] Yo-Kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version # <ACT> (Level 5) (¥4.622) - Saturday release, nobody understands why...

[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥5.076) - 10-20% yeah, it's Christmas season, but the shipment is considerable, so there's some kind of concern

[PS4] Bloodborne: Complete Edition <Bloodborne Bloodborne: The Old Hunters> <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥6.372) - 30-40%

[PSV] Himoutou! Umaru-Chan: Himoutou Ikusei Keikaku # <SLG> (FuRyu) (¥6.998) - 30-40%

[PSV] Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2+ <SLG> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥5.724) - 30%

[3DS] Gudetama: Hanjuku de Tanomuwa <ACT> (Rocket Company) (¥5.184) - 10-20% shipment is very small, no much concern

Rabbids Land

[3DS] Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest <ACT> (Bergsala-Lightweight) (¥4.104) - Where are Anna & Elsa?

Mory Dunz

3DS got olaf? Did well in europe on the DS right?

so what's up with M&L. Sales-age has high (250-300k) expectations? I think it's possible, but I'm not confident

Alrus

Well M&L Dream Team was kind of meh and this one looks kind of uninspired so I wouldn't be surprised if it underperformed.

Vena

Just you wait when Youkai Watch is moving to NX next gen.

We will see people asking for console version too lol.

Ehh. In that case, the discussion changes quite a bit. Monster Hunter is still a very widely appealing product across age groups, and is strong with the male core gamer that makes up a big chunk of the console sphere. A kids game like Yokai Watch is targeting a sparsely represented and largely absent demographic on consoles.

It'd be Vita/NX if anything, since the Vita does actually have a young demographic from Minecraft's legs.

Alrus

Ehh. In that case, the discussion changes quite a bit. Monster Hunter is still a very widely appealing product across age groups, and is strong with the male core gamer that makes up a big chunk of the console sphere. A kids game like Yokai Watch is targetting a sparsely represented demographic on consoles.

It'd be Vita/NX if anything, since the Vita does actually have a young demographic from Minecraft's legs.

Depending on how successful it is in the west, I doubt Level-5 gives up on the help Nintendo provides with publishing (and I'm assuming localization). Their partnership has worked fine for them so far. I guess they could go to Namco if they decide to go multiplatform though.

We're talking about the company that couldn't get one of their biggest games out without a platform holder bailing them out and has a "next gen engine" that has been stuck in development hell for years now. I doubt they have the capability to develop a full fledged MH game for consoles.

Sure are a lot of people wanting Dragons Dogma 2 around here

And get lost with that port begging bs. Like someone coming into a sports bar and yelling at everyone to stop saying they wouldn't mind having Tom Brady on their team.

You are trying to defend that it would be a good idea for Capcom to increase the MH budget like... tenfold, almost certainly for no net gain in sales. What would be the winning strategy with throwing all that money away?

You can't be serious with that Dragon's Dogma comparison. Guess which series has provided Capcom with a greater return on investment.
It's the one with yearly releases.

L~A

[WIU] Yo-Kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version # <ACT> (Level 5) (¥4.622) - Saturday release, nobody understands why...

[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥5.076) - 10-20% yeah, it's Christmas season, but the shipment is considerable, so there's some kind of concern

[PS4] Bloodborne: Complete Edition <Bloodborne Bloodborne: The Old Hunters> <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥6.372) - 30-40%

[PSV] Himoutou! Umaru-Chan: Himoutou Ikusei Keikaku # <SLG> (FuRyu) (¥6.998) - 30-40%

[PSV] Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2+ <SLG> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥5.724) - 30%

[3DS] Gudetama: Hanjuku de Tanomuwa <ACT> (Rocket Company) (¥5.184) - 10-20% shipment is very small, no much concern

Rabbids Land

[3DS] Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest <ACT> (Bergsala-Lightweight) (¥4.104) - Where are Anna & Elsa?

Nintendo has really been on a pretty bad streak of "bombas" for retail releases in the past few months.

Art Academy, Pokémon Rumble World (the sales themselves are fine.... but what the hell is that 100k shipment?!), AC:aF, Mario & Luigi... I was going to say Zelda TFH, but Famitsu sales shows 80-100% sellthrough so I guess retailers didn't have trouble selling copies.

BriBri

I'm guessing Animal Crossing: New Leaf > Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer >>> Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival in December.

I'm guessing Animal Crossing: New Leaf > Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer >>> Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival in December.

Feel like taking a peek at the 3DS eShop chart to see if MHX is still at #10 or if it has gone up please? :) It's still #10 on the website.

BriBri

Feel like taking a peek at the 3DS eShop chart to see if MHX is still at #10 or if it has gone up please? :) It's still #10 on the website.
I won't be home for another few hours. It was at #10 last night. Smash Bros. and Puyo Puyo sales are close however so it'll probably jump up two places at once*

*if I remember positions 8 & 9 correctly!

I won't be home for another few hours. It was at #10 last night. Smash Bros. and Puyo Puyo sales are close however so it'll probably jump up two places at once*

*if I remember positions 8 & 9 correctly!

Site says Smash is #9 and SMB is #8. :) Puyo is #7.

Feels like it should've been higher because there's still hardly any copies on shelves, unless Smash and SMB are SO FAR ahead of the other games below them hence that's why it's taking so long.

BriBri

Site says Smash is #9 and SMB is #8. :) Puyo is #7.

Feels like it should've been higher because there's still hardly any copies on shelves, unless Smash and SMB are SO FAR ahead of the other games below them hence that's why it's taking so long.
Gosh. Puyo is selling then! I guess #7-9 are probably within a few thousand sales of each other then!

L~A

Media Create Sell-Through and Comparison

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 1.488.367 / NEW <91,84%> [Units shipped => 1.620.609]

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 1.446.289 / NEW <85,40%> [Units shipped => 1.693.547]

Pre-orders

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 929k
Monster Hunter X - 936k

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

So looks like New Nintendo 3DS Sales increased by 362.53% thanks to the Monster Hunter X.

About MHX, it does have a better sellthrough ratio, but it looks like it's mostly because of Capcom shipping less copies than for 4G. They really were not expecting such sales.

donny2112

When is Brain Training 3 going to pass 500.000 LTD? :D And when is launching in Europe? :|

This is a travesty. The game has done more for me than either BT1 or 2, and yet, it's sold worse and never even came to Europe. :( Hoping for a second life on mobile, if Nintendo can somehow work that out. Maybe piecemeal it as a free-to-start with additional trainings being DLC or something.

hiska-kun

Horrendously outdated as Cube Creator 3D, which MHX has passed, was said to be at 200k.

Edit: Just checked Road's site and yeah, last updated on April 19th. :p

Road's site uses Famitsu's digital estimates (eshop), while the Nintendo chart includes both eshop sales and also Download codes (which are supposed to be included at Retail Famitsu sales).

That's why sales will never match.
Smash Bros is more than 137k reported there.

I think you're a little confused about what thread you're posting in, this is a sales thread. The discussion is usually less about what people want and what makes sense for the people making the game.

Even ignoring that I disagree with you anyway. There is a reason the game exploded with popularity on handhelds and that same success hasn't been seen on home consoles. The people who actually play MH want it on handhelds. You talk is if it is being held back by being there. A console version of MH isn't some panacea that the fan base is desperately hoping for. It would be a giant waste of resources spent on something the fans don't really seem interested in.

I'm also curious what platform you want to see it on. If you're interest was in seeing the best possible MH possible I'm assuming you want to see a PC version. Your argument also applies to any game where there is a more powerful console available. Not every mobile or handheld game would be better on a console/PC. Some games are just more suited to the portable format and MH is one of them.

Rabbids Land

Yikes. I know we've still got different levels of sales in here due to different shipments, but still, wow. Everything off to an abysmal start.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 1.488.367 / NEW <91,84%>
___

21./20. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.10.22} (¥5.076)
22./09. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2015.11.19} (¥5.184)
23./02. [PS4] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344)
24./00. [PSV] Kisuato # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) {2015.11.26} (¥6.458)
25./00. [PS4] God Eater Off Shot: Lindow-hen Twin Pack & Animation Vol. 2 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.26} (¥8.424)
26./30. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2015.09.17} (¥5.076)
27./29. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Returns <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.08} (¥6.145)
28./07. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Game Director's Edition <Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment \ Sword Art Online: Lost Song> <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.19} (¥8.640)
29./22. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥6.372)
30./19. [3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.12} (¥7.171)
31./17. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.11.12} (¥9.072)
32./00. [PSV] Net High <ADV> (Marvelous) {2015.11.26} (¥6.458)
33./00. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.26} (¥6.264)
34./00. [PSV] Tsuki ni Yori Sou Otome no Sahou: Hidamari no Hibi <ADV> (Dramatic Create) {2015.11.26} (¥7.452)
35./33. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076)
36./34. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
37./31. [3DS] Picross 3D 2 <PZL> (Nintendo) {2015.10.01} (¥3.240)
38./38. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1! <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2015.10.22} (¥5.832)
39./26. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥5.627)
40./24. [PS4] Need for Speed <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2015.11.12} (¥8.424)
41./46. [3DS] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village DX <ETC> (Capcom) {2015.09.10} (¥4.309)
42./15. [PSV] Grand Kingdom <SLG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.11.19} (¥6.998)
43./00. [3DS] Sousaku Alice to Oujisama! <SLG> (Happinet) {2015.11.26} (¥6.280)
44./36. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937)
45./37. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥5.389)
46./32. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥7.128)
47./13. [PS3] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344)
48./12. [PSV] Girl Friend Beta: Kimi to Sugosu Natsuyasumi # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.19} (¥7.171)
49./47. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
50./40. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PSV - 12
PS4 - 9
PS3 - 5
WIU - 4

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  1.979.000 |    604.000 |  1.028.000 | 30.493.000 | 36.287.000 |

BriBri

Monster Hunter X digital sales are now higher than Super Smash Bros.

Edit: beaten! As stated earlier: 7 - 9 are all relatively close so MHX should be 7 within a couple of days or so.

BriBri

How do we know that 7-9 are that close sales-wise? You make it sound like they're merely hundreds/thousands apart. :p

Also, I found a cool video showing X's release event in Japan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMx78ZlBaQ4
I follow the current and all-time charts several times a day. Smash and Puyo have traded positions a few times and Puyo has only been towards the bottom part of the current top 20 if at all in recent months were sales aren't at all high if you look at the Famitsu estimates. Battle Cats overtook both games (and Super Mario Bros) relatively quick too.

And I only ever watch Kumamon videos :-O

Top Bottom