• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

guek

Banned
More like breathing a deep sigh of relief under a pile of shareholders

This just in: after bouncing back from a horrible first half of the year, Nintendo appears to be on the up in up in Japan. Nintendo stock falls 20% in response. A statement from shareholders express disappointment at the lack of iOS games at a 98% reduction of 3DS game prices. "Imagine a world with 100 yen MK7! Iwata continues his incompetent management of the company, and we're determined to punish him for it."

Alrus

3DS rising to heaven. As hot as it is right now, I still don't expect it to outsell the DS overall. I see finishing somewhere in the 20 million range overall, which is still really good. DS was lightning in a bottle.

Also, what happened to Zelda. Am I seeing this right or is a Kirby game going to end up heavily outselling Skyward Sword?

To be fair, a Kirby game outselling Zelda in japan isn't something too surprising.

BurntPork

Banned
What is it with Nintendo and December? This doesn't even make sense! Wii rising like crazy, 3DS selling as is it's on a firesale, and the software chart... Seriously, WHAT?!

Road

And even this time, we've had the classic Monster Hunter difference between the two trackers, but strangely... inverted.

MH3: 560k 580k (Famitsu) / 520k (Media Create)
MHP3rd: 2,1 millions (Famitsu) / 1,9 millions (Media Create)
MH3G: 470k (Famitsu) / 520k (Media Create)

Strange.

...Not as much as the Wii higher than PS3 and almost at the same level as PSP. :lol :lol :lol

Wonder if Dengeki will side with Famitsu this time (Famitsu / MC / Dengeki)

MHTri: 583k / 520k / 526k
MHP3rd: 2.15M / 1.95M / 1.96M
MH3G: 471k / 521k / ???

Kenka

Software sales don't seem too hot though, aside MH.

It looks like for the first time for Nintendo, a third-party game is taking the role of the system seller. OK, Street Fighter II would have been another one (and also made by Capcom).

M3d10n

Handheld sales in Japan already surpassed last year's total by 17% and we still have two weeks and Vita's launch before the year ends. It's clearly doomed.

boingball

Only one PSP game in the charts. But still more than 50k PSP sold. Will be interesting to see whether it dies off after the Vita comes out.

And the Wii ahead of the PS3? First time in months.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What is it with Nintendo and December? This doesn't even make sense! Wii rising like crazy, 3DS selling as is it's on a firesale, and the software chart... Seriously, WHAT?!

But sadly, even with Nintendo's December-fu, Skyward Sword cannot be saved. D:

BurntPork

Banned
This just in: after bouncing back from a horrible first half of the year, Nintendo appears to be on the up in up in Japan. Nintendo stock falls 20% in response. A statement from shareholders express disappointment at the lack of iOS games at a 98% reduction of 3DS game prices. "Imagine a world with 100 yen MK7! Iwata continues his incompetent management of the company, and we're determined to punish him for it."

*checks stock price*

It's down 1.12%.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Handheld sales in Japan already surpassed last year's total by 17% and we still have two weeks and Vita's launch before the year ends. It's clearly doomed.
Mobility is a fad. Console quality gaming on the go is NOT what people want.

001.gif

80% sales come from handhelds, and Vita is coming next week.

Wonder if mon hon will fall like Mon hon 3 did or stay on course. im guessing on course, but who knows...im sure PS3 doesn't have to worry about Wii outselling it next week. it does have FFXIII-2 coming :D plus a bundle.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
01./00. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 520,138 / NEW

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 521.959 / NEW

Holy shit :lol

He was right, selling to the Nintendo audience and no one else! 800k guaranteed!

Doogdogg

3DS is about to come away with 3 million seller in 2-3 weeks. RER is a early 2012 title right? and KH3D isn't far off. Yeah this thing isn't slowing down.

Celine

Market's changed, handhelds effectively replaced consoles as the primary platforms. Wii's more like a Game Boy than a Famicom or a PlayStation in that sense, it's a secondary or support platform.
Yes past generation witness a new age of gold for handhelds but that didn't caused Wii lower than expected LTD ( for a leading home console ) IMO.

test_account

XP-39C²
"meh 3DS has no games"
MK7, SM3DLand, MH3G
"meh, 3DS sells just because has games"

Who have said "meh, 3DS sells just because has games" or said anything about "meh" at all? (just asking since you quote me). What i wrote was to show that it is not MH alone that is the reason for this 3DS hardware sale success.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hey I could get a PS Vita with no games and no memory card or a 3DS with Monster Hunter and Mario Kart 7 and built in memory and a free SD card for roughly the same price.

Vita is in for a rough time.

guek

Banned
Hey I could get a PS Vita with no games and no memory card or a 3DS with Monster Hunter and Mario Kart 7 and built in memory and a free SD card for roughly the same price.

Yes but even with all those games, could you stand to game in the handheld gaming ghetto?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

At launch it will sell to high tech enthusiasts and core Sony fans. After launch, this comparison will hurt indeed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mario Kart 7 will probably be the first, with all the rise incoming in next weeks, but it'd be nice to see for the first time ever a third party game being the first million seller on a Nintendo console.

03./03. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 89.743 / 724.611 (+21%)

I'm interested by this. Is this title just receiving a holiday boost or can its legs hold out a lot longer than other 3D Mario games? Nintendo's tried to make 3D Mario more accessible before but this time they might have got somewhere.

OT: I remember Miyamoto saying the 3DS was going to receive a 3D Mario game and a 2D Mario game... did he actually state that they were separate games or was he being tongue-in-cheek about the 3D/2D nature of 3D Land?

3DS is about to come away with 3 million seller in 2-3 weeks. RER is a early 2012 title right? and KH3D isn't far off. Yeah this thing isn't slowing down.

Future potential million sellers (announced games only) imo:

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix) spring 2012
Animal Crossing (Nintendo) 2012
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix) 2012
Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) tba
Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) tba

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm thinking it'll probably be 3D Land, then Mon Hun, then Kart. The real race will be the first to 2 million. (Kart wins)

GCX

Mario 3D Land's sales are amazing. It just goes up and up.

Numbers seems to suggest that it's selling to a larger audience than the 3D Mario crowd. It's going to end up much higher than Galaxy games.

Future potential million sellers (announced games only) imo:

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix) spring 2012
Animal Crossing (Nintendo) 2012
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix) 2012
Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) tba
Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) tba

Kingdom hearts will no way sell a million in Japan alone

Top Bottom