• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

N64 sold in more regions and sold more quickly due to the 3D novelty but it bombed later. OoT came out with no competition and when the hype was still in. Hence it did well. The video-game market had already been well reestablished. Zelda and the initial NES games had to overcome the stigma from the preceding video-game crash in the early 80s. Its not really comparable. For the time LoZ kicked dick - almost 7 million (we don't know the real numbers) for an action/RPG. The only other games like that were Nerdy computer games that weren't popular. Then its sequel had people driving all over the damn place just to get it since there was a shortage. Its sales were gimped due to the chip shortage. OoT didn't even have to do any work, it sold because of the ground-work laid by the originals, the 3D hype and no competition.
Um...
graphhm.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why wait for them? Retailers talk for a slow start.

Inazuma the same.

Inazuma a bit expected, but it can recover a lot in the weekend, since it's a game that doesn't have to rely on the short term, being a bit a "casual" game, especially compared to all the other RPGs.
...And its rise could be even better since 3DS will probably see high weekend sales.

About FFXIII-2...eh, expected as well.

Well, from the famitsu article posted earlier...
ffxiii2u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
There's a couple dozen lined up.

Would be nice to get some reports on the situation two years ago by comparison.

A post about the actual sales of this week, hurrah ! Yeah, I overlooked it but it is nice to see Namco actually reach their own expectations. Didn't end up into another Namco x Capcom-like projection, he he.
For a game as good as Gundam Extreme VS is, even with it's arcade popularity, that pricing could have made a big impact on its sell-through. Not bad for Namco at all. I wonder how many total units the game has sold in both Japan and Asia so far.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
DCharlie and French were right!?! D:

This is it for 3DS. It'll be discontinued next week...

mentioned this yesterday in another thread (the amazon/street price drop), was told my anecdotal evidence wasn't believable and contrary to others. Bath of tears. Pills and vodka. A night alone.

:( :( :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFXIII-2 faces an uphill battle. Releasing a sequel to a game many people were disappointed in wasn't exactly the best idea.

FFXIII-2 faces an uphill battle. Releasing a sequel to a game many people were disappointed in wasn't exactly the best idea.

It's not like they had a lot of options on the table.

Yes, it's a bad decision, but it was pretty much an inevitable bad decision after all the other screwups they made over the course of this generation backing them into a corner.

Erethian

It's not like they had a lot of options on the table.

Yes, it's a bad decision, but it was pretty much an inevitable bad decision after all the other screwups they made over the course of this generation backing them into a corner.

They can also hope to win back some interest in the franchise, assuming FF13-2 is a good game and has positive word of mouth.

LOCK

Media Create:

MH3 - 325k pre-orders
MH3G - 444k pre-orders

[360] Skyrim - 91.12% sell-through.

Clearly they under shipped this time. They should have followed MH3 example and added 200K to the preorders and shipped that amount.

Jonnyram

I think the undershipping is gonna bite them in the ass, because from now until the end of the year, Mario Kart 7 is gonna be the big seller. I don't see MH3G having legs because of MK's popularity.

cvxfreak

Well, from the famitsu article posted earlier...
ffxiii2u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
There's a couple dozen lined up.

Would be nice to get some reports on the situation two years ago by comparison.

I was there. That was the line to get into the countdown event. Granted, most people bought the game then and there, but by no means did everyone in there (including myself) buy the title.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Media Create:

MH3 - 325k pre-orders
MH3G - 444k pre-orders

[360] Skyrim - 91.12% sell-through.

And also brutal comebacks on 3DS
Nintendogs 24th
Pokemon 41st
Zelda 48th

Two things
1)last week's Famitsu data reported a great increase for Rocket Heroes 3, which made it back to 25th position, while for Media Create...it wasn't even in top 50.
Considering how the games from this DQ derivative brand behave, we could probably see it again in top 30. Different trackers are different indeed :lol

2) but no tracker difference can make up for the absence in top 50 of PES 2012, completely destroyed by MH, at this point :lol
Seeing how much high are the numbers, it could have had a Wiiesque debut (7-8k)...and it could have legs.
But, however, great job again, Konami!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
On a side note I wanna ask you guys one thing: if FFXIII-2 doesn't sell well, how much your sure it's related to XIII's output and how more related to japanese players loosing interest in home console games? Afterall, Skyward Sword too had low sales and was already a sequel of a great game and even better than the previous one. Ni No Kuni had a bad destiny too. Monster Hunter tri on Wii too didn't achieve the same success of portable versions. And so on.

The point I make then is easy: maybe it's not FF loosing fans, it's japanese players that want their saga to move on portables like Dragon Quest did.

sphinx

the piano man
On a side note I wanna ask you guys one thing: if FFXIII-2 doesn't sell well, how much your sure it's related to XIII's output and how more related to japanese players loosing interest in home console games? Afterall, Skyward Sword too had low sales and was already a sequel of a great game and even better than the previous one. Ni No Kuni had a bad destiny too. Monster Hunter tri on Wii too didn't achieve the same success of portable versions. And so on.

The point I make then is easy: maybe it's not FF loosing fans, it's japanese players that want their saga to move on portables like Dragon Quest did.

I think, japanese gamers respond to stimuli like all other gamers in the world.

Advertise in famitsu, have a demo, show high production values and a fun gameplay premise and you are set. There's not much you can do, regardless of whether a game is on a handheld or a home console.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Monster Hunter did worse than the Wii game on home consoles before Japan went all handheld to this extent so I don't think that's relevant.

It's just a special case since it exploded when it went portable despite being a PS2 game previously so, it's the social aspect that sells it.

Ni No Kuni doesn't count either since Level 5 games often bomb, I think, while the DS Ni No Kuni game bombed badly too.

Alrus

We have seen games being successful on the PS3 pretty recently so I don't there's a sudden lack of interest in console release.

Ni No Kuni failed for a few reasons imo... It's targeted at kids on a console not really populated by them, it's by Level-5 after 2 very mediocre ps3 rpgs, it wasn't clearly different in content compared to the DS game...

I think FF XIII soured a lot people and they're not interested in exploring that world further. It's also starring characters that weren't major actors in the first game. (On the other hand FF X is one of the most beloved game in the series and FF X-2 starred its most popular character).

Alextended said:
Ni No Kuni doesn't count either since Level 5 games often bomb, I think, while the DS Ni No Kuni game bombed badly too.

Not really, until recently most of their game were pretty successful. And Ni No Kuni DS didn't bomb, it sold more than 550k(that's huge for a new IP). But it was vastly overshipped (kind of like Mh Tri)

Top Bottom