• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

Kazerei

Banned
Currently, Inazuma Eleven is THE franchise for the yaoi fanbase. For some stupid reason, fujoshis decided that the underaged characters of Inazuma Eleven make GREAT yaoi fantasies. It is because of the fujoshis that the new cast consists of a piano playing pansy as a captain and a pink-haired boy that completely looks like a girl.

At this point, the only reason that Endou, the main character of the series is still on the top of popularity polls is because the kids are preventing the fujoshi fan favorites from getting up there.

In completely basic terms, fujoshis are female otakus that are into homosexual anime and manga or homosexual pairings that do not exist in canon. Again, this is a VERY basic definition.

Suddenly I've become very interested in Inazuma Eleven.

Orgen said:
I know Zelda can't do Mario numbers, it's a remake and it's been selling for a long time... etc. But it's losing legs and selling 5k/week when the 3DS user base is growing in the hundreds of thousands and we are in Christmas period too is not a good sign for legs. If OoT manages to sell 5k/week when the Christmas period is over then yes, it'll have legs. But as I've said I doubt the game will remain in top50 next year.
Just because something falls off the top lists doesn't mean it no longer has legs--we just can't tell until getting things like end-of-year lists. Here's Super Mario 64 DS as of its last Top 30 appearance, months before DS exploded.

and here it is today.
292+-+Super+Mario+64+DS+-+DS

2006 weekly average: 3.3K
2007 weekly average: 1.5K
2008 weekly average: 1.2K
2009 weekly average: 0.9K
2010 weekly average: 0.5K
2011 weekly average until the end of October: 0.3K

Of course it's extremely atypical, but if any game is in the SM64DS position today it's OOT3D.

Cipherr

In completely basic terms, fujoshi are female otakus that are into homosexual anime and manga or homosexual pairings that do not exist in canon. Again, this is a VERY basic definition.

Never in my wildest dreams could I have guessed that would have been the answer to "What is a Fujoshi". Jesus Christ that is random.

LOCK

Just because something falls off the top lists doesn't mean it no longer has legs--we just can't tell until getting things like end-of-year lists. Here's Super Mario 64 DS as of its last Top 30 appearance, months before DS exploded.

and here it is today.

Of course it's extremely atypical, but if any game is in the SM64DS position today it's OOT3D.

Would be awesome if this actually happens for Oot 3D even if to a lesser extent.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like they have shipped enough - Vita price is already being dropped at amazon.

lo zaffo

27./11. [WII] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes Fourze <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.12.01} (¥6.280)

well if wii was region free I'd like to play this. 8ing is always great!

extralite

Currently, Inazuma Eleven is THE franchise for the yaoi fanbase. For some stupid reason, fujoshi decided that the underaged characters of Inazuma Eleven make GREAT yaoi fantasies.

For some reason? It's pretty obvious: soccer is a classical yaoi genre and they do it with all anime with bishounen. Shounen really means boy as in 15 and below. Also, I11 is a major popular RPG, similar appeal as with FF.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mix of reports about Vita's launch from Andriasang

PlayStation Vita saw its Japanese launch today, and despite the mid December cold and wide availability of pre-orders, the system still managed to draw lines in the hundreds at many retailers.

Based off Famitsu.com's launch report, the longest lines were to be found at the line mecca itself, Akihabara. The Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo's electronics capital had around 200 people by about 6:00AM, but as train service started, this swelled to 500 or 600 by the time the shop opened for sales at 8:00.

Famitsu.com spoke to many of the early risers. The person at the front of the line had arrived at 21:00 the night before. He'd already pre-ordered, but lined up because he was concerned about memory card shortages. He picked up the system with Uncharted.

The lines weren't as impressive at other locations around Tokyo, but still crossed the hundred mark. The large Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku had 120 people lined up by the 8:00 opening time. The first person in line had arrived at 22:00 the night before and planned on picking up Dynasty Warriors Next, Hot Shots Golf 6 and Ridge Racer. The person behind him had arrived at midnight and said that he wanted to play up Disgaea 3 Return.

Yodobash Camera in Shinjuku
The Bic Camera in Ikebukuro had 300 people lined up by opening time. This shop told Famitsu that, based off pre-orders alone, top sellers for the launch appeared to be Hot Shots Golf 6, Uncharted and Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru.

There were a few special guests at the launches. Sony VP Kaz Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan CEO Hiroshi Kawano showed up at the Akihabara Yodobashi for the start of sales. House and Hirai had also made an appearance at the Bic Camera in Yurakucho, which drew a line of around 120 or so by its opening time at 8:00.

But the main appearance for the execs was the system's official launch countdown at the Tsutaya outlet in Shibuya. Held at 6:45, before the shop opened for sales at 7:00, Hirai and House took the stage and gave brief speeches before introducing a countdown reel highlighting the system's launch titles and its path from announcement to launch.

http://andriasang.com/comzef/vita_launch_report/

cvxfreak

IMO, launch lines have really lost their impact. Sometimes they make it obvious how big something will be, such as MHP3's extraordinary launch, or can be misleading. In 2009, Biohazard 5 had a launch report, but this year, FFXIII-2 didn't, yet the chances of FFXIII-2 having a higher start are much better. Big games like MK7 didn't have any reports either, yet sales were very high.

The Vita launch is interesting though: tons of pre-orders, yet ample stock for others. This indicates that early demand should be satisfied, but also that it could possibly, though not certainly, signal a slowdown sooner than expected. We'll see.

Erethian

IMO, launch lines have really lost their impact. Sometimes they make itobvious how big something will be, such as MHP3's extraordinary launch, or can be misleading. In 2009, Biohazard 5 had a launch report, but this year, FFXIII-2 didn't, yet the chances of FFXIII-2 having a higher start are much better. Big games like MK7 didn't have any reports either, yet sales were very high.

The Vita launch is interesting though: tons of pre-orders, yet ample stock for others. This indicates that early demand should be satisfied, but also that it could possibly, though not certainly, signal a slowdown sooner than expected. We'll see.

Seems like the higher price would make things more likely to lean towards a slowdown, once you burn through that initial demand. At least without big system-selling games to drive sales week to week.

AniHawk

Seems like the higher price would make things more likely to lean towards a slowdown, once you burn through that initial demand. At least without big system-selling games to drive sales week to week.

fortunately, final fantasy x, super return of the jedi, and unnanounced vita title are on the way.

Mpl90

What's the deal with MGS3D on Amazon? It started preorders staying in the 230th position for a while, then a sudden rise to the top100, and now it's in 56th position. Why this strange pattern? Maybe due to the lack of a release date? I've seen such a strange pattern also for If you were sealed with a girl in a room, you'd play Dream C Club on Vita to make the Pink Milf eat the banana: sudden rise in top100, then slowdown, then another rise again, almost in top30. Strangely, the one which had an immediate rise to the top even without the release date has been...Senran Kagura (it has to do with the audience :p )

When preorders are opened with also the release date indicated, titles go up a lot, even in the first position (One Piece the recent example, but also Hatsune Miku 3DS... every major title).

We'll see what happens with MGS3D. ...At least, Beyond the Labyirinth should do well, Konami!

P.S. Anihawk is always Anihawk.

IMO, launch lines have really lost their impact. Sometimes they make it obvious how big something will be, such as MHP3's extraordinary launch, or can be misleading.
I think any stock I put in them was blown after we saw those DS launch pictures with like 7 people waiting, then it went on to sell nearly a half million.

Spiegel

What's the deal with MGS3D on Amazon? It started preorders staying in the 230th position for a while, then a sudden rise to the top100, and now it's in 56th position. Why this strange pattern? Maybe due to the lack of a release date? I've seen such a strange pattern also for If you were sealed with a girl in a room, you'd play Dream C Club on Vita to make the Pink Milf eat the banana: sudden rise in top100, then slowdown, then another rise again, almost in top30. Strangely, the one which had an immediate rise to the top even without the release date has been...Senran Kagura (it has to do with the audience :p )

When preorders are opened with also the release date indicated, titles go up a lot, even in the first position (One Piece the recent example, but also Hatsune Miku 3DS... every major title).

We'll see what happens with MGS3D. ...At least, Beyond the Labyirinth should do well, Konami!

The deal is that you should stop looking, caring and commenting about those amazon rankings. They are pointless.

Mpl90

I think any stock I put in them was blown after we saw those DS launch pictures with like 7 people waiting, then it went on to sell nearly a half million.

IIRC, that time it happened that most of the units were already sold through preorders.

I don't know: lines for certain games, which rely more on a costant flood of people buying especially without preorders, are absent, or not so big. Especially if the shipment is big enough (Mario Kart 7 haven't had any report of lines, while Wii Fit had it ). Instead, more "core" games, which have big preorder numbers, even with big first shipment, especially if belonging to very big brands can have lines due to the fact that the audience want to buy it as soon as possible (MHP3rd, the greatest recent example ). And this concept should apply to console launches as well.

Lines certainly cannot be ignored in every case, as well as cannot be seen as the revelator of the future in every case: just an examination case to case could be useful.
But who would do a thing like that :p

it isn't updated continuously.

gkryhewy

Same pattern as the 3DS at the same price point.

idwl

Part of me wants vita to do really well, just to keep nintendo on their toes+ sony deserves it for making such a great device, But the Nintendo Fanboy in me wants it to fail miserably

Part of me wants vita to do really well, just to keep nintendo on their toes+ sony deserves it for making such a great device, But the Nintendo Fanboy in me wants it to fail miserably

As long as the 3DS keeps on trucking like it is i'm not sure there is any reason to not want the vita to suceed. Competition is good for both sides.

Also as much as i really like nintendo and their games the vita is just a beautiful piece of tech. I want both to be successful for different reasons.

gkryhewy

As long as the 3DS keeps on trucking like it is i'm not sure there is any reason to not want the vita to suceed. Competition is good for both sides.

Also as much as i really like nintendo and their games the vita is just a beautiful piece of tech. I want both to be successful for different reasons.

The dedicated handheld market may be able to support two handhelds in Japan, but not anywhere else. From a practical standpoint, there can be only one (i.e., one of these consoles is going to have a short and/or niche life IMO).

The dedicated handheld market may be able to support two handhelds in Japan, but not anywhere else. From a practical standpoint, there can be only one (i.e., one of these consoles is going to have a short and/or niche life IMO).

Well i'm not convinced this is true at all. Though it depends what you mean by 'niche'.

hsukardi

Why not? That's a rubbish theory.

gkryhewy

Why not? That's a rubbish theory.

Well, you sure told me.

It's my read of the handheld device landscape in 2011 and beyond. Diminishing returns for handheld console makers (outside Japan) on much more aggressive investments (i.e., they're putting in more $$ and getting out less). Nintendo has gone all-in with 3DS, pricing it the same as the current price of its predecessor (unprecedented) and with a lineup of back-to-back bankable heavy hitters that's certainly the best ever for a year-1 handheld, and its sales in the US and Europe are merely pretty good. Not great, pretty good. 3DS sold less than the third-place home console in the last NPD, despite aggressive marketing and promotions. If this sounds like a climate that will happily embrace a second dedicated handheld to you, then, well good luck with that.

BurntPork

Banned
Well, you sure told me.

It's my read of the handheld device landscape in 2011 and beyond. Diminishing returns for handheld console makers (outside Japan) on much more aggressive investments (i.e., they're putting in more $$ and getting out less). Nintendo has gone all-in with 3DS, pricing it the same as the current price of its predecessor (unprecedented) and with a lineup of back-to-back bankable heavy hitters that's certainly the best ever for a year-1 handheld, and its sales in the US and Europe are merely pretty good. Not great, pretty good. 3DS sold less than the third-place home console in the last NPD, despite aggressive marketing and promotions. If this sounds like a climate that will happily embrace a second dedicated handheld to you, then, well good luck with that.
You need to go take a look at how common it is that a handheld or console sells almost 800k in its first or even second November NPD.

Orgen

and here it is today.

I know that staying out of the top50 doesn't mean that a game no longer has legs but as you've said Mario 64DS disappeared from the top months before the DS exploded. Now the 3DS is exploding and OoT3D is selling less than before (from 10k/week to 5k/week) which is not a good sign of legs IMO.

Maybe the new 3D users are only buying MK7 or MHTG (or both) with the system for now and plan to buy OoT3D later but right now I see Nintendogs+cats more in line with Mario 64DS than OoT3D.

gkryhewy

You need to go take a look at how common it is that a handheld or console sells almost 800k in its first or even second November NPD.

You need to go take a look at how common it is for a console or handheld to be priced identically to its predecessor and have year two or three-grade heavy hitters for its first holiday season. How do you think the PS3 would have done if it were available for $199 in November 2006 with GT5 and GOW3? Pretty well, yes?

Or you could just read the post to which you replied.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You need to go take a look at how common it is for a console or handheld to be priced identically to its predecessor and have year two or three-grade heavy hitters for its first holiday season. How do you think the PS3 would have done if it were available for $199 in November 2006 with GT5 and GOW3? Pretty well, yes?

November NPD only 3D Land was out for the 3DS and that was only for 10 days or so. The 3DS is the youngest plattform with the worst lineup compared to other plattforms on the market.

Well, you sure told me.

I'm a tad confused by this. In Nintendo DS's first non-launch holiday it had Nintendogs + Animal Crossing + Mario Kart DS, I would compare that similar to 3DS' Mario Kart 7 + Super Mario Land 3D + Monster Hunter 3G. Plus it followed with Brain Age, New Super Mario Bros., and DS Lite. What makes 3DS seem that much more of a push outside of the price drop?

BurntPork

Banned

The whole "priced the same as it's predecessor" thing is a bit dubious, though. It's $20 more than what it's predecessor launched at, which is far from unprecedented. The only reason the DSi and DSi XL are still so high is to avoid stealing sales from 3DS. It's not setting the world on fire, but it only had one must-have game in the US in that NPD. Software decides everything in this business, and one game can only do so much. I would at least wait for the December NPD before making any final conclusions. Hell, even that might not work, since for all we know, there may be a lot of people waiting for Vita.

November NPD only 3D Land was out for the 3DS and that was only for 10 days or so. The 3DS is the youngest plattform with the worst lineup compared to other plattforms on the market.

It was out for two weeks, to be exact.

gkryhewy

I would at least wait for the December NPD before making any final conclusions. Hell, even that might not work, since for all we know, there may be a lot of people waiting for Vita.
You are correct; I expect 3DS to also have a pretty good month in December. Pretty good. Vita has essentially zero mindshare in the US.

Anyway, this is OT for the MC thread.

I know that staying out of the top50 doesn't mean that a game no longer has legs but as you've said Mario 64DS disappeared from the top months before the DS exploded. Now the 3DS is exploding and OoT3D is selling less than before (from 10k/week to 5k/week) which is not a good sign of legs IMO.

Maybe the new 3D users are only buying MK7 or MHTG (or both) with the system for now and plan to buy OoT3D later but right now I see Nintendogs+cats more in line with Mario 64DS than OoT3D.
I agree, Nintendogs is the title to look out for, its the launch title that will benefit more as the userbase grows, OOT will sell less than it eventually imo.

Mpl90

@Joshua: ...And now I remember what was different in the DS launch compared to the others: it had the classic 4 days period to sell in the first week. This is why, despite not having massive legs at the launch day, it did very well.

@Bishop and Orgen: Nintendogs is recovering indeed. This week was just shy of the top 20, so it probably did 12-13k.

In regard to Zelda, I don't agree with Joshua when he says that in the positions lower than 30th, numbers are almost the same: I think they're rising, so seeing Zelda still in top50 despite numbers increasing and lots of new releases is not bad. It's obvious that games can sell a lot outside of the top 50, however.

Top Bottom