• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

Cygnus X-1

Certain games catch the holiday wave for Nintendo every year. Not surprising, but Skyward Sword definitely did not.

How much did it sell worldwide? I have the feeling the numbers overall are really bad. And thinking it is the best Zelda since so many years......

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
2338074180101451989s6dx6yg.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Any hardware data?

So far, we've had as anticipation of the official hardware datas

PSVita at 325k, 65% of the shipment
PSP at 60k, 10k more than the precedent week.

The other figures will come in 40 minutes.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think VIT would be a better three character abbreviation for Vita than PSV. PSV is less visually distinct ehen looking at the list because we already had 4 systems that started with PS.

4Gamer is already using the PSV initials and Media Create will do the same.

It's the name that makes sense after all.

wrowa

Either Just Dance and Kirby got a nice boost or Mina no Golf and Uncharted aren't doing quite as good as expected. The reason for that might be easily found, though: Due to the rather good launch line-up of not-quite-great-but-easily-good games the software sales might be more equally divided among a bigger quantity of comparatively lower selling games. With MNG and Uncharted being the obvious exceptions. (that none of the games would be able to land at the top of the charts was obviously obvious though)

test_account

XP-39C²
The pessimism comes from a host of factors and conjectures that were made by many members long before the launch ever happened, some valid, some not-so-much. Some are just making the mistake of trying to use the launch as evidence of their previous suppositions and not just letting time take its course to see if they were right or not.
Yeah, i can see that. And i agree that Vita does faces some challenges in the upcoming times. There are also much that we dont know (like how much software support Vita will get), so i can see speculations around this for sure, and i can also see why people arent necessarily too optimistic about this.

But in this specific case i personally dont think that hardware being in stock 4 days after launch is much of an indicator regarding Vita's success or not. People are free to speculate around it regardless though of course, there is nothing wrong with that, but i just think it is a bit too early to say much about it, so i wanted to comment on it. I dont see much reason to be pessimistic about it right now since the system is just out and the two day launch numbers are quite good :)

Either Just Dance and Kirby got a nice boost or Mina no Golf and Uncharted aren't doing quite as good as expected. The reason for that might be easily found, though: Due to the rather good launch line-up of not-quite-great-but-easily-good games the software sales might be more equally divided among a bigger quantity of comparatively lower selling games. With MNG and Uncharted being the obvious exceptions. (that none of the games would be able to land at the top of the charts was obviously obvious though)

Well just dance and kirby getting a nice boost is pretty much a given

Fularu

Banned
Well just dance and kirby getting a nice boost is pretty much a given

Question is, did they get a 100% boost (95k and 60k for Kirby and Just dance) or did they get a boost more in line with the previous ones (around 50-75%) and we would be looking at 75k and 50k.

I somehow doubt Kirby got a 200% boost, same with Just Dance.

FWIW, here's how last year's Kirby game scaled up during December weeks--

Week starting
11-22 7.9K
11-29 9.3K
12-06 18.4K
12-13 39.9K
12-20 67.8K
12-27 22.6K

Alextended said:
Don't the Vita games seem low? Did people buy just the system without games or what?
Fularu said:
They seem to be in line with the 3DS software sales when it launched.
Right, in both cases there isn't one defining game, but a lot to spread sales between. 3DS launch week had one game over 100K, and only one more over 50K.

Jokeropia

I dont see why it is potentially ominous because it is in stock 4 days after release. Being in stock could simply mean that Sony calculated the first shipment good enough to make sure that it is easy available during this holiday season, and this can be quite important concidering the heavy competition from the 3DS. It is too early to say anything about Vita's continuous sales pattern. I know that you said 'potenially', but based on what we know, personally i dont think it looks more potentially ominous than the 3DS, which is also in stock and easy to get.
3DS pretty much sold out it's 400k shipment first day, so VITA had lower initial demand despite releasing in the middle of the holidays. 3DS then showed that launch demand doesn't last long, fell rather quickly and didn't recover until the pricedrop and major games/announcements. VITA needs to make it's launch demand last longer (despite being lower) or else things could get pretty bad once the holiday season is over, as I don't see any obvious sales drivers in the foreseeable future.
AndrewDean84xX said:
Also, do you guys think the Vita outsold the 3DS?
I'm sure it will, but according to GAF it wont, I mean just check the predictions, they're ridiculously low for Vita lol.
3DS 367.691
PSV 324.859
I'm still with DCharlie on this, totally expecting sub 200k for MH this week.
02./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 208.427 / 730.386 (-60%)
But things did turn out quite like I said :X
LOL

test_account

XP-39C²
3DS pretty much sold out it's 400k shipment first day, so VITA had lower initial demand despite releasing in the middle of the holidays. 3DS then showed that launch demand doesn't last long, fell rather quickly and didn't recover until the pricedrop and major games/announcements. VITA needs to make it's launch demand last longer (despite being lower) or else things could get pretty bad once the holiday season is over, as I don't see any obvious sales drivers in the foreseeable future.
True, but on the other hand, the 3DS didnt launch with any big competition and it is the sequel to the most popular system in japanese history :)

But fair enough. I just wanted to say that i dont think that the stock thing alone is an indication of anything bad because it has only been 3-4 days. But the other things regarding games and price, i see that point clearly and i agree that this could be some issues with Vita's sales. Only time will tell what Vita games that will be announced.

spwolf

3DS 367.691
PSV 324.859

02./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 208.427 / 730.386 (-60%)

LOL

Not sure if PSV success can be judged only by it outselling Nintendo portable. If so, they lost already, long time ago.

Jokeropia

True, but on the other hand, the 3DS didnt launch with any big competition and it is the sequel to the most popular system in japanese history :)
Right, and it still dropped sharply in the following weeks. If the circumstances for VITA are less favourable, the outlook is unfavourable as well.
But fair enough. I just wanted to say that i dont think that the stock thing alone is an indication of anything bad because it has only been 3-4 days. But the other things regarding games and price, i see that point clearly and i agree that this could be some issues with Vita's sales. Only time will tell what Vita games that will be announced.
That's why I said "potentially", I'm not making any definite predictions at this point. The stock just allows us to gauge launch demand, had it sold out we wouldn't have been able to.
Not sure if PSV success can be judged only by it outselling Nintendo portable. If so, they lost already, long time ago.
There's certainly nothing necessarily bad about selling less than 3DS now or in LTD numbers, but if starts selling less than 3DS did in March/April&#8230;

Basch

Is it just me, or are all these hardware numbers ridiculously high? What the hell came out this week for the PSP and 3DS? Vita and PS3 are understandable, but even the Wii sold a helluva lot this week.

EDIT: nvm, I thought Monster Hunter came out last week.

EDIT 2: extra NVM, this is last weeks thread. lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The reasons were a bit biased, plus he did hammer his prediction a bit too much. Obviously it would fire back if he was wrong. The agree to disagree arguments was used during the prediction with the attitude "Let's wait and see who's right!" ... his predictions turned out wrong each time, followed with an adjusted prediction with the same "Let's wait and see who's right!". It's getting a bit repetitive, that's why people hammer on him. But he likes MH so he gets a free pass from me. I just wish he was a bit less biased, quite a Vita fan he is (skewing his realistic judgement).

it's all fun - i expect to get hammered when i'm wrong, that's all part of the fun - i'm sure i'd have been on my soap box if it had turned out right.

My overall prediction didn't change - i stuck to 800k even in the face of certain failure, and i'm still sticking to it now! Only 4000 sales next week! ;)
I know a few people have mentioned i'm trolling 3DS or Monster Hunter or -Monster Hunter on 3dS- but it's nothing to do with that. It's just all about the prediction and little else.

Vita bais? Don't agree with that though - i'm a huge 3DS fan and that's putting it mildly. The call on MH numbers was purely on Nintendo pressing expectations coupled with the thought that interest would be confined to a smaller base of Hunters. We're passed 1m shipped so it's moot - it's selling 800k+ no matter what :) I do also admit that i didn't buy into the simple "other side" argument which was basically "Japanse like Monster Hunter, this is Monster hunter - therefore = $$$SALES$$$" or "All the PSP MH fans are flocking to 3DS" (still think the last statement is rubbish - they will for MH4 though... but that's a whole different predictions thread! ;) )

Madao

How much did it sell worldwide? I have the feeling the numbers overall are really bad. And thinking it is the best Zelda since so many years......

i think the main problem is those many years. many people stopped caring and waiting for the game since it took them so long to make it
a friend of mine asked me about the game for like 4 years straight after he beat TP. he got tired of asking by last year before E3 when nintendo finally did the big reveal.
he doesn't play portables so the DS games didn't do anything.
i'm guessing a lot of the casual zelda players gave up the same way since a lot of people gave up on the wii last year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Right, and it still dropped sharply in the following weeks. If the circumstances for VITA are less favourable, the outlook is unfavourable as well.
Yeah, that could be the case indeed.

That's why I said "potentially", I'm not making any definite predictions at this point. The stock just allows us to gauge launch demand, had it sold out we wouldn't have been able to.
I know, i pointed that out myself, that you mentioned "potentially" :) It could go both ways of course, so i'm not saying that you're wrong, but from what we know right now, i dont think that it is more likely that it can go one way or the other. I'd say that it is equal. I just wanted to say my view on it =)

EDIT: Oops, i didnt see that this was the old MC thread. I will reply in the new MC thread from now on.

Top Bottom