• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2012 (Dec 03 - Dec 09)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The range for the Inazuma sell-through is a bit schizophrenic. 20% really wouldn't be so hot, whereas 30% could be pretty okay for the type of game it is.

People's reaction over L5 sw results are always bizzarre, probably because a lot of Gaffers don't like their products, imho.
If the game sold 25% of the first shipment at day 1, it could easily sell 50% on first week. doing so it will probably have no issue is selling it's entire first shipment once everything will be said and done.

If we want to discuss the fact that they are no longer capable of repeating the Ds crazy numbers, we should also consider who (or which franchise) will be able to do so.

Let's see which will be the Ltd numbers after the holidays for Layton Vs Aa and for this one. I think that 250k and 400k could be lower than the golden age of Layton and Inazuma games, but still positive results

People's reaction over L5 sw results are always bizzarre, probably because a lot of Gaffers don't like their products, imho.
If the game sold 25% of the first shipment at day 1, it could easily sell 50% on first week. doing so it will probably have no issue is selling it's entire first shipment once everything will be said and done.

If we want to discuss the fact that they are no longer capable of repeating the Ds crazy numbers, we should also consider who (or which franchise) will be able to do so.

Let's see which will be the Ltd numbers after the holidays for Layton Vs Aa and for this one. I think that 250k and 400k could be lower than the golden age of Layton and Inazuma games, but still positive results

Level-5's problem is more related with the sales of its new IPs, which weren't so hot. Layton and Inazuma Eleven are declining, but they're still strong, both in Japan (how many series can sell +350k each time?) and in Europe (Inazuma Eleven is a growing franchise here). There were overexploited, that's why they declined so fast. LBX has never been huge, and in this case Level-5 clearly made a mistake not putting W on 3DS given the sales of Baku Boost.

Another problem is the fact that many interesting games took forever to be released. But yeah, it's not so dramatic as many Gaffers say, probably still hurt that 90% of its lineup is on Nintendo platforms.

Mario007

Level-5's problem is more related with the sales of its new IPs, which weren't so hot. Layton and Inazuma Eleven are declining, but they're still strong, both in Japan (how many series can sell +350k each time?) and in Europe (Inazuma Eleven is a growing franchise here). There were overexploited, that's why they declined so fast. LBX has never been huge, and in this case Level-5 clearly made a mistake not putting W on 3DS given the sales of Baku Boost.

Another problem is the fact that many interesting games took forever to be released. But yeah, it's not so dramatic as many Gaffers say, probably still hurt that 90% of its lineup is on Nintendo platforms.
Layton is having tons of problem in Europe and the cross-over with Ace Attorney didn't do so well either. It is smart for L5 to retire the franchise, but if their new IPs aren't catching on it's a bit troubling. I'll be doing my part in helping them out with Ni No Kuni next year, hopefully it'll sell well in the west.

Road

Yes, the Level 5 games sell their first week shipments eventually.

It may take 4 months, 1 year or 2 years, but they get there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes, the Level 5 game sell their first week shipments eventually.

It may take 4 months, 1 year or 2 years, but they get there.
I think that the games I'm talking about (their "main games") took way less to sold the forecast.

but, hey, people described also Ninokuni DS as a fail, so...

Layton is having tons of problem in Europe and the cross-over with Ace Attorney didn't do so well either. It is smart for L5 to retire the franchise, but if their new IPs aren't catching on it's a bit troubling. I'll be doing my part in helping them out with Ni No Kuni next year, hopefully it'll still well in the west.

Retire Layton? No way. They might find new solutions, as iOS and maybe an entry on Wii U to revive the interest.

I think Youkai Watch is a project on the right path. Let's see if it can succeed.

Retire Layton? No way. They might find new solutions, as iOS and maybe an entry on Wii U to revive the interest.

I think Youkai Watch is a project on the right path. Let's see if it can succeed.

But if they release Layton outside of Nintendo platform , they have to find an alternate source of localization . Nintendo localization are one of the best in the industry too, so they may lose something in the process.

They should just rotate their franchises , pokemon sells because their main line titles come very 4 years or so . mario used to do that too, they are still doing it of sort(one main line 2d mario on each platform, 1 3d mario(outside of galaxies 2 but that is one of the best Mario 3d game).

So level 5 need to reduce their work load and push out more new ip to rotate their exisiting ip so people will not get bored of them.

Youkai watch is a good move, just try to not spam a pokemon yellow so soon level five.

duckroll

I expect Yokai Watch to be about as successful as Little Battlers is now. It's not an original idea, and there are already stuff like that which exist in the market. It won't be as easy as Inazuma was. If Captain Tsubasa was still a popular game series when Inazuma came out, it wouldn't have taken off like it did either.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
PS3: 19,126
PSV: lolololol
Concidering what the PS3 version sold, i think that there might be a chance that the Vita version didnt sell that bad in comparison. The Vita version never charted in the Top 50, but in the 3 weeks from it launched, the top 20th positions were about 28k, 43k and 44k respectively, meaning that charting outside the top 50 could still bring in some sales. I wouldnt be surprised if the Vita version was able to sell around 10k somewhere (also concidering digital sales). That in itself isnt very much, but the difference compared to the PS3 version might not be that huge. Difficult to say for sure without any numbers at all for the Vita version though, but it is just my guess.

Do we have any sales numbers of Inazuma Eleven from Europe?

Concidering what the PS3 version sold, i think that there might be a chance that the Vita version didnt sell that bad in comparison. The Vita version never charted in the Top 50, but in the 3 weeks from it launched, the top 20th positions were about 28k, 43k and 44k respectively, meaning that charting outside the top 50 could still bring in some sales. I wouldnt be surprised if the Vita version was able to sell around 10k somewhere (also concidering digital sales). That in itself isnt very much, but the difference compared to the PS3 version might not be that huge. Difficult to say for sure without any numbers at all for the Vita version though, but it is just my guess.

Do we have any sales numbers of Inazuma Eleven from Europe?

I had data for Italy suggesting that IE2 was selling way better than 1. Now I'm not at home, I can look for them later. I sent some links privately to some users asking for them as well. So yeah, IE is growing in Europe, and numbers for France and Germany suggests the same.

vareon

Right path to where? I don't see any uniqueness on Yokai Watch, and they seem to follow Inazuma Eleven's path of multiple media franchise.

I sort of wonder if Level 5 will pull a Guild 01 and sell/resell IE1-3 individually on the eShop overseas? They already have scripts for IE1-2 they could insert, and I have to imagine NOE's already knee deep in IE3's localization...

I meant, didn't they say that there was only one more Layton game?

They say something more "the last Professor Layton of Professor Layton" or something like that. Nothing stops them to make reboot, spin-offs, etc.

Right path to where? I don't see any uniqueness on Yokai Watch, and they seem to follow Inazuma Eleven's path of multiple media franchise.

The only IPs selling well lately are indeed cross-media franchises.
At least they have chosen the right platform (not like Ni no Kuni on PS3) with the right target (kids) with the right genre.

Mario007

They say something more "the last Professor Layton of Professor Layton" or something like that. Nothing stops them to make reboot, spin-offs, etc.

The only IPs selling well lately are indeed cross-media franchises.
At least they have chosen the right platform (not like Ni no Kuni on PS3) with the right target (kids) with the right genre.
Doing PL spin-offs would be the worst decision for the franchise that L5 can make. If anything the franchise needs to rest for a while and come back with a revamped gameplay a few years later.

Also re the Ni no Kuni example, they actually chose the right platform with the ps3. Big japanese JRPGs sell well on the ps3. Releasing it half a year earlier on the DS was the problem here.

zroid

Banned
I'm not sure putting Ni no Kuni in the same group as "big PS3 JRPGs" is the right idea. It is very much a kids' game. A highly-produced one, of course.

Doing PL spin-offs would be the worst decision for the franchise that L5 can make. If anything the franchise needs to rest for a while and come back with a revamped gameplay a few years later.

Also re the Ni no Kuni example, they actually chose the right platform with the ps3. Big japanese JRPGs sell well on the ps3. Releasing it half a year earlier on the DS was the problem here.

Before, you wrote that Level-5 should retire the franchise, not keep on rest some years... By the way, I wrote spin-offs but also reboot. In my opinion a Professor Layton on Wii U could be something interesting and new for the franchise.

As for Ni no Kuni, well, a jRPG aimed at kids on PS3? Bad decision imo.

I'm sure it is. But yeah, the target audience is kids. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by adults, naturally.
The problem was it's a mainstream/family targeted title not on the mainstream/family console. That was easily the biggest strike against Ninokuni PS3, and why it sold like an Xbox 360 game.

The DS version didn't have the best reception either, though from what I understand response for the PS3 was similarly mixed. Unless Hino has Horii to hold his hand, Level 5 is probably better off doing adventure brain teasers than jrpgs.

Mario007

I'm sure it is. But yeah, the target audience is kids. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by adults, naturally.
Coolio, cheers for clearing that up!
Before, you wrote that Level-5 should retire the franchise, not keep on rest some years... By the way, I wrote spin-offs but also reboot. In my opinion a Professor Layton on Wii U could be something interesting and new for the franchise.

As for Ni no Kuni, well, a jRPG aimed at kids on PS3? Bad decision imo.
As I've said I meant the 'retiring' thing to mean that they were saying they were going to retire the franchise.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam AGE isn't so much the problem as it was the canary in the coal mine for their main issue; they expanded way too fast on too little talent. One of their two major pillars was more of a one generation phenomenon and the other was milked in a way that Capcom in their heyday would have been proud of.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Lunchwithyuzo banned again?!? What's the reason this time? XD

Gundam AGE isn't so much the problem as it was the canary in the coal mine for their main issue; they expanded way too fast on too little talent. One of their two major pillars was more of a one generation phenomenon and the other was milked in a way that Capcom in their heyday would have been proud of.

Too little talent? For having released the two first million seller new IP in like 10 years, I would say that they had a lot of talent, it wasn't just luck.

L5 milked everything they had way too quick, seriously, Capcom would be proud.

On related note: Please no more NSMB for awhile Nintendo, please!

Apparently Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd on 3DS has continued selling since its release and Koei Tecmo producer Hisashi Koinuma said they'll consider another sequel if it sells just a bit more.

https://twitter.com/koinuma_p/statuses/279925947887661058

Can you translate the entire tweet if possible? :)

Hopefully if we get a 3rd, they'll beef up the visuals to at least DWvs level, the lighting in that was sick!

And that it'll come to NA. :(

Hobby

Can you translate the entire tweet if possible? :)

Hopefully if we get a 3rd, they'll beef up the visuals to at least DWvs level, the lighting in that was sick!

And that it'll come to NA. :(

Good evening. I'm extremely happy that Sengoku Musou Chronicle Z (typo, he means 2nd and corrected himself in another Tweet) has continued to sell as we head into the end of the year! If it sells just a bit more, we'll be able to consider another one, so thank you very much. (=´∀`)人(´∀`=)

Kenka

Courtesy of the_lascar (link includes similar charts for Animal Crossing):

amaj1mariokart.png

Jackano

Legs seems broken for MK7? Still ahead MKDS but doesn't climb as fast.
That said, digital sales and bundles aren't likely in the chart. And the following weeks are a holiday period, so a first bump for the game.

But I'm not very surprised, just like NSMB2, the game doesn't add something fresh.

That said, digital sales and bundles aren't likely in the chart. And the following weeks are a holiday period, so a first bump for the game.

But I'm not very surprised, just like NSMB2, the game doesn't add something fresh.

Well, we're not going to see similar results to the DS craziness. Also AC, that started very strong, I doubt it will reach the 5mln mark.

Digital sales are insignificant, and there hasn't been a MK7 bundle in Japan.

Sandfox

IMO Level 5 puts out really good game ideas but things keep going wrong for various reasons.

After this Layton game they will probably find a new main character(probably an older Luke) and find a new gimmick to increase interest.

Inazuma is just a product of them getting too caught up in how popular the series got. They will probably just be content with the sales the series is getting now and just hope that the anime keeps people interested in the game.

Though the info was already stored if you liked manually meddling with URLs, the relevant dropdown boxes at Garaph have had Wii U added. Also 3DSLL belatedly.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Recently, we've seen 2nd Super Robot Taisen OG released for PS3, and the game isn't doing as well as Namco hoped ( they forecasted 350k of shipment) neither as well as other OG titles. Given PS3 doesn't seem to me the culript here ( many mecha titles did well on the platform, especially Gundam Vs., which had astounding sales), what has been the problem with this specific title? I've seen someone saying on Gaf ( maybe in this very thread) that one reason could be the Original Generations sub-brand itself, with the anime not so successful, IIRC.

duckroll

Too little talent? For having released the two first million seller new IP in like 10 years, I would say that they had a lot of talent, it wasn't just luck.

I guess Resident Evil 6 selling really well in Japan is talent too eh? Lol. Level-5 has always had really good marketing skill. Their creative talent on the other hand... is much more questionable.

NeonZ

Recently, we've seen 2nd Super Robot Taisen OG released for PS3, and the game isn't doing as well as Namco hoped ( they forecasted 350k of shipment) neither as well as other OG titles. Given PS3 doesn't seem to me the culript here ( many mecha titles did well on the platform, especially Gundam Vs., which had astounding sales), what has been the problem with this specific title? I've seen someone saying on Gaf ( maybe in this very thread) that one reason could be the Original Generations sub-brand itself, with the anime not so successful, IIRC.

Personally, I think...

-Evolution to HD sprites without evolving the animation further at all (like still keeping sliding sprites with still frames between animations and generally just being the same visually as previous games, only in higher resolution) likely didn't result in a good enough visual jump to make people buy the game just for that.

-OG series traditionally does have smaller numbers than the main games, although not actually bad like the 3d titles. This OG game seemed to be an attempt to turn the OG series into the "main" SRW titles, by giving it a big console debut treatment with all new sprites and systems, it clearly failed.

-Even among OG games, this game was rather conservative in adding protagonists from other SRWs, and it even removed some of the series which had already appeared in the OG universe.

Top Bottom