• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2012 (Dec 03 - Dec 09)

test_account

XP-39C²
We know that both IE and IE2 have each sold over 100,000 copies in France alone.
http://gamekyo.com/newsfr47373_nintendo-le-point-sur-les-ventes-en-france.html

Chart positions in other countries like Germany, Italy and Spain suggest considerable success in those countries, too.
I had data for Italy suggesting that IE2 was selling way better than 1. Now I'm not at home, I can look for them later. I sent some links privately to some users asking for them as well. So yeah, IE is growing in Europe, and numbers for France and Germany suggests the same.
Ok, thanks for the info :)

I guess Resident Evil 6 selling really well in Japan is talent too eh? Lol. Level-5 has always had really good marketing skill. Their creative talent on the other hand... is much more questionable.

What a comparison: new IPs from a small software house and the 6th entry of one of the most famous video game series ever, from one of the biggest Japanese companies. Yes, Level-5 had talent in both creating and selling their games.

donny2112

Well above, isn't it the best selling 3D Mario?

I realize it is a 3-D Mario, but it was marketed and billed as as much a 2-D Mario as you could be in 3-D. It was not the typical 64/Sunshine/Galaxy open-world 3-D Mario. Much more 2-D type areas (played well with the 3-D trickery, too) than those other openworld 3-D Marios. I think they hit a good balance between the two on 3DLand, but don't want it forgotten that this was purposefully more 2-D-y than past ones to try to appeal to more people.

Hot fuck, I just realized that L5 alone has a total of (and counting both IE's 2 versions as one game each as well as both Guilds as one each as well) 13 games! o_O

The Guilds with their 7 total (4 in 01 and 3 in 02 right?) would bump it to 18! o_O

That's gotta be a fucking record for a JP dev that's not the biggies like Namco Bandai, Nintendo, etc.

Hot fuck, I just realized that L5 alone has a total of (and counting both IE's 2 versions as one game each as well as both Guilds as one each as well) 13 games! o_O

The Guilds with their 7 total (4 in 01 and 3 in 02 right?) would bump it to 18! o_O

That's gotta be a fucking record for a JP dev that's not the biggies like Namco Bandai, Nintendo, etc.
They're pretty big now. I feel like my comment on them milking their IPs is a bit unfair to them. They have launched many new IPs, many more than other publishers at their scale. I'm not in Japan, so I haven't really played most of their games, I'd really like it if someone with the knowledge and explain exactly why Level 5's games are under performing so often.

Ghibli --> Disney
In terms of popularity and recognition I'm not sure. I work in a language lab where babies and kids come in every day and it's full of Disney toys, posters, music playing etc. Nothing Ghibli related. And people are always talking about going to Disneyland (while I would rather visit the Ghibli museum!)

When released, Spirited Away became the most successful film in Japanese history, grossing over $274 million worldwide. The film overtook Titanic (at the time the top grossing film worldwide) in the Japanese box office to become the highest-grossing film in Japanese history.
(wiki)

duckroll

Quick, name the mascot of Ghibli Studios. Name the top five characters. Any recurring icons?

Exactly.

Erm.

HCbh5.png

donny2112

He was in Toy Story 3.....a disney movie.
Disney is publishing/promoting the Studio Ghibli movies in the U.S.

Neat about the Kittenbus short, but yeah, not much in the way of repeating/easily recognizable characters in the Ghibli arsenal (at least not on the level of Mickey Mouse).

Koren

while I would rather visit the Ghibli museum!
And probably be a bit disappointed... It's nice to see a couple of storyboards and pictures, but it's awfully small and usually, the temporary exhibitions (Wallace and Gromit when I visited the museum) are larger than the ghibli stuff

About the Disney vs Ghibli, I think it might be a matter of age. Ponyo is probably more known to very young children than characters that older people might remember like Sen/Chihiro. I'd say that some big Ghibli movies can reach a larger audience than Disney can do.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I guess Resident Evil 6 selling really well in Japan is talent too eh? Lol. Level-5 has always had really good marketing skill. Their creative talent on the other hand... is much more questionable.

TBF the two aren't remotely comparable, resident evil is a multi generation spanning popular franchise by that fact alone it would have sold well, creating popular franchises inside a generation does require at least some talent, all the marketing in the world won't force something to become a large success, sure it helps, but won't carry it by itself. Regardless how highly regarded the games are it does require a certain type of talent in order to produce more than one popular franchise in the space of 1 or 2 generationsas several developers would love to have that "talent".

I thought the general discussion was about whether Disney, an American company could gain sales and popularity in Japan, which it definitely can. It has succeeded in becoming a cool and 'kawaii' brand. Even if each individual movie doesn't have the pulling power of a major Ghibli release, the merchandise and everything else under the Disney umbrella gives it a huge presence here. I can't see that sort of phenomenon occurring in the games industry though.

I realize it is a 3-D Mario, but it was marketed and billed as as much a 2-D Mario as you could be in 3-D. It was not the typical 64/Sunshine/Galaxy open-world 3-D Mario. Much more 2-D type areas (played well with the 3-D trickery, too) than those other openworld 3-D Marios. I think they hit a good balance between the two on 3DLand, but don't want it forgotten that this was purposefully more 2-D-y than past ones to try to appeal to more people.

Were talking sales. Its a 3D Mario. Its not 2D.
Has the change helped sales? Certainly, the series benefits from is massively; but its a 3D game.

The idea its 2D is frankly ludicrous.

Were talking sales. Its a 3D Mario. Its not 2D.
Has the change helped sales? Certainly, the series benefits from is massively; but its a 3D game.

The idea its 2D is frankly ludicrous.

Don't think that he's suggesting that it shouldn't be counted as a 3D Mario, just that it was clearly designed and marketed with the intent of blurring the line somewhat between 3D Mario and the NSMB series.

I do have to wonder whether and to what extent Wii U's 3D Mario will be NSMB-ified, given that even Paper Mario was seemingly given a similar remit for its 3DS iteration.

Don't think that he's suggesting that it shouldn't be counted as a 3D Mario, just that it was clearly designed and marketed with the intent of blurring the line somewhat between 3D Mario and the NSMB series.

I do have to wonder whether and to what extent Wii U's 3D Mario will be NSMB-ified, given that even Paper Mario was seemingly given a similar remit for its 3DS iteration.
I think the console 3D Mario won't be 2D-ised; ditto to any Wii U Paper Mario. Paper Mario in particular was more informed by the realities of handheld play rather than a shift in priorities.

I think the console 3D Mario won't be 2D-ised; ditto to any Wii U Paper Mario. Paper Mario in particular was more informed by the realities of handheld play rather than a shift in priorities.

That would cover the world map, but not the fact that the team was actively discouraged from creating original characters or settings.

It's great for what it is, and so is SML3D (where the shorter, more linear levels are an excellent fit for the platform anyway), but I really hope that EAD Tokyo's first Wii U effort doesn't reflect any homogenization of the franchise.

Considering Paper Mario sales seem at best flat worldwide, I doubt they homogenize things. I mean I'm sure the Wii U mario will try to appeal to as wide a base as 3D Land did, but it will probably be done in a different way

SuperMod

Neo Member
Can someone please give me the Wii Numbers for the first 4-5 weeks in Japan after launch? And what kind of numbers do you expect in the second Wii U Week?

Koren

I mean I'm sure the Wii U mario will try to appeal to as wide a base as 3D Land did, but it will probably be done in a different way
3D World ?

There's probably funny things to do with the UPad. They could at least put the "bonus rooms" in pipes on the pad screen, like 4 swords adventure, but I hope they'll come with creative ideas.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Looking at Wii U sales in Europe (and possibly America) there shouldn't be any problems with supply in Japan at holidays if that possibility existed before.

hiska-kun

Can someone please give me the Wii Numbers for the first 4-5 weeks in Japan after launch? And what kind of numbers do you expect in the second Wii U Week?

Going by Media Create:

Week 1 - 350.358 (launch)
Week 2 - 85.439 (supply problems)
Week 3 - 108.237
Week 4 - 279.277 (Christmas)
Week 5 - 96.332

I expect around 150k for Wii U second Week.

BowieZ

Banned
3D World ?

There's probably funny things to do with the UPad. They could at least put the "bonus rooms" in pipes on the pad screen, like 4 swords adventure, but I hope they'll come with creative ideas.
This idea is thrown around a lot but it would have made more sense for NSMBU with its 2D perspective and less need to make use of the HD quality of the big screen.

I could imagine the pad screen being used as a birds-eye overview which may hold some clues, and to zoom out to see essentially a map of the land, Google Maps/Earth style.

Vinnk

I keep seeing ads for that Vita AKB48 game. Like every commercial break. But no other Vita games. I really hope all of Vitas hopes are on this title. It looks dreadful.

Also I wonder if Sony is co-funding the ads. At the end of the ads it is not a simple vita logo, they show the system and the announcer yells "Vita!". Or is that how all Vita ads are now? I haven't seen any other than AKB48 recently.

Going by Media Create:

Week 1 - 350.358 (launch)
Week 2 - 85.439 (supply problems)
Week 3 - 108.237
Week 4 - 279.277 (Christmas)
Week 5 - 96.332

I expect around 150k for Wii U second Week.

I'd like to think that they could manage 1,000,000 before the end of the year, total. In fact, if they aren't sitting at around 3M WW by New Years, there could be big trouble reaching the 5.5M goal.

Considering Paper Mario sales seem at best flat worldwide, I doubt they homogenize things. I mean I'm sure the Wii U mario will try to appeal to as wide a base as 3D Land did, but it will probably be done in a different way

Paper Mario SS is selling in line with 2 in Japan/US (no numbers for anywhere else). It's funny seeing the haters trying to make up this narrative that the game is selling badly because it doesn't have experience points.

ohlawd

With that, March 2013 suddenly got less interesting sales-wise :/

Oh well. Guess I'll have to settle with DQVIIr in February for now.

urfe

No one else excited for numbers?

Vita's second week was the most telling week of all for it, I'm curious how it is for WiiU.

Bumhead

Banned

Vita's second week was the most telling week of all for it, I'm curious how it is for WiiU.

I'm very curious about this weeks Wii U numbers. They'll set the course for the next week of Wii U threads on GAF.

BadWolf

Definitely looking forward to them.

Very interesting in seeing the Japanese reception of the console past launch, if they like the concept Nintendo came up with (I personally find it very weak).

Top Bottom