• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

Sandfox

MH4 may not reach the highs of 3rd portable and if you see it as a disappointment in that perspective (even though thats a very weird way to see it since its still selling a shit load and will probably have a LTD close enough to 3rd) then okay.

However, it really was the best case scenario for Capcom. Low dev costs + placing it on the platform where it would perform the best. Vita was definitely a no go due to the size of the userbase at the time. Maybe MH could have accelerated it but Capcom had a better and a less risky alternative namely the 3DS.

One interesting thought is if putting MH4 on the PSP would of resulted in greater sales (alongside with the cheaper dev costs).

MH4 was announced before the Vita was even released but even then Capcom probably still would've gone 3DS.

redcrayon

I hope the game is good and does well, localization please.

I'm really interested to see exactly how they have changed up the mechanics from FTP to a full price release, I tried the mobile version but it wasn't for me, I really don't like the enforced limit on play per day.

It's the reason I stopped playing Marvel Puzzle Quest too, keeping me coming back for 20 minutes a day to maximise the chance over a period of months of me getting annoyed and spending more money than I would do normally just doesn't work for me, I'd rather pay £30 up front and never again. Still the business model has left them rolling in enough cash to greenlight a portable version with my preferred business model as an afterthought, that can't be a bad thing.

jetsetrez

I really wonder why Capcom didn't just put MH4 on 3DS, PSP, and Vita. Why play the console warz game? Just let everyone who wants to play it play on the system they want.

redcrayon

I really wonder why Capcom didn't just put MH4 on 3DS, PSP, and Vita. Why play the console warz game? Just let everyone who wants to play it play on the system they want.

It's not about console wars, it's about the financial incentives of not splitting a user base for a game with a heavy focus on multiplayer, while keeping development as cheap as possible. Vita would have required significant investment, PSP and 3DS were equally viable, but the 3DS came with Nintendo offering to promote it overseas (and a better future for their handheld overseas), something that was a core aim for the franchise.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MH4 will be the selling for at least another 12-18 months with a Budget/Best-Of version being released. 2014 will also be the date for a western release, which alone will push the game easily above 5 million and make it the best selling MH title so far.

MH isnt the problem for Capcom, the problem is what else they can release on handhelds - Revelations 2 would be nice or a Dragons Dogma Spin-Off.

L~A

Well, what else do they have for spring 2014? They need to have a good line-up ready before Golden Week at least I think, and getting that game out before that would be wise

Well, there's Super Smash Bros ha ha ha. Perfect game for the Golden Week, though it probably won't be released a few days before it starts.

For a second, I thought it was a sequel to that Dragon Ball card game, which performed quite well if I remember correctly.

redcrayon

Well, thank god for that. I'm sure Capcom is really happy with its overseas' performance.
You need to look at it as the franchise as a whole- they did alright with Monster Hunter Tri in that way, and 3G got bundled in with various eshop promotions, both of which were also efforts to beef up the number of MonHun fans here. It's a decade old, and previous efforts to sell it on Sony platforms in the West amounted to sod-all. It's easy enough to look at it with the benefits of hindsight now, but at the time, with the Vita yet to launch, it must have absolutely seemed like an option that was low cost, had everything to gain and little to lose overseas compared to the PSP sales of previously released titles.

gogogow

Well, thank god for that. I'm sure Capcom is really happy with its overseas' performance.

Definitely a million times more happy than their P3rd overseas' performance.

Also why do you care whether Capcom are happy or not, are you a shareholder?

Me, as a gamer am very happy that Nintendo is willing to help out with the Monster Hunter franchise. I can just buy the game at my local store, pop the game in and play it.

With MHP3rd I had to wait for someone to make an English patch, import the expensive JP version, wait for it to arrive by mail, download the language patch. Rip the game, patch it, needs a CFW PSP and still a lot of things aren't translated. Well, thank god for Sony!

Takao

Banned
MH4 will be the selling for at least another 12-18 months with a Budget/Best-Of version being released. 2014 will also be the date for a western release, which alone will push the game easily above 5 million and make it the best selling MH title so far.

MH isnt the problem for Capcom, the problem is what else they can release on handhelds - Revelations 2 would be nice or a Dragons Dogma Spin-Off.

Dragon's Dogma Quest launches tonight on Vita.

lol

You were one of those who predicted MonHun to fail on the 3DS, and look where that series ended up being: easily succeeding Capcom's sales projections despite having competition such as Animal Crossing, Pokémon and bunch of other popular million sellers. You don't understand the differences between the 3DS and the PSP situation and that's the big problem it seems

But yeah, keep dreaming about MH4 selling badly - because in reality that's just delusional

Wait wait wait. I knew Phoenician was a very unique poster, but I find it hard to believe that anyone thought Monster Hunter 4 would FAIL.

Glass Rebel

For a second, I thought it was a sequel to that Dragon Ball card game, which performed quite well if I remember correctly.

huh, didn't even know this was a thing

I'm torn. On one hand, Legendary Super Warriors on GBC was awesome and this has a female Super Saiyan

on the other hand this looks like something they fished out of a gutter

Celine

Wait wait wait. I knew Phoenician was a very unique poster, but I find it hard to believe that anyone thought Monster Hunter 4 would FAIL.
There were a few...

Remember a gaffer predicting MH4 to do less than 2M cause no MH game ever sold more than that on a Nintendo hardaware.

Mr Swine

Banned

It's like one of the posters a year ago predicted that Monhun 3G wouldn't sell more than 800k and that a Vita version would sell double the amount (lol). Well that bit him in the ass :p

Well this is ironic. Capcom should have put MH4 on Vita. They will regret this decision one day!! One day I tell you!
Don't put words in my mouth like you usually put words in others peoples mouth. Its a fact it's selling less than 3, you can spin it the way you want the fact still stands.
You're projecting yourself onto others, Nibel is not even close to a Nintendo fanboy defender.

So please stop spewing trash like this, at least take it to some other thread ffs.
Lol. People from glass houses should not throw stone, but
I am probably stupid and don't understand things as clearly as you do, but it seems that the brand will expand in the west. MH3U was strongly supported by Nintendo and was preparing the launch of MH4.
But you're probably right, MH4 is so far such a failure it will probably bomb hard in the west.
Its one way to spin.
So ironic that this is coming from you - when was the last time I seriously defended Nintendo? :lol

You were one of those who predicted MonHun to fail on the 3DS, and look where that series ended up being: easily succeeding Capcom's sales projections despite having competition such as Animal Crossing, Pokémon and bunch of other popular million sellers. You don't understand the differences between the 3DS and the PSP situation and that's the big problem it seems

But yeah, keep dreaming about MH4 selling badly - because in reality that's just delusional
All the time, don't you think that you post in a vacuum.
Lol underperforming is now a good thing for sequel. Yeah keep dreaming and spinning.
Let's be honest. Even if it sold twice more than MHP3rd, you'd find a way to spin it. It sold 4 millions in less than 3 months, it's going to sell more and more, until they release a budget version, which will drive more sales. The only thing bothering you is the platform, because I guess it's not released on your favorite one. Which coming from the person who keeps claiming 3DS performs bad while Vita is doing fine relatively to expectations or such.
Let's be honest here it's like you don't have a post history of spinning Nintendo's news. And prove that I would do this or STFU. I guess some people here are allergic to numbers lol.
I have never once said the Vita is doing fine relative to expectations. Don't spout bullshit lies. The only thing i say is that the Vita is doing ok in Japan and that the 3DS has never met Nintendo's expectations. Both are correct statements. But of course you have to lie and put words into people's mouth to prove a point.

BlackJace

Cut the carnival of stupid out before someone gets banned y'all.

Lots of money was made at Capcom, what we should really be mad about is most of it going into mobile development!

*shakes fist*

So, to come back on topic cause I guess the troll ate enough, shouldn't we have some numbers for Puzzle and Dragons now? Doesn't Famitsu release some figures on mondays when something special appear?

L~A

So, to come back on topic cause I guess the troll ate enough, shouldn't we have some numbers for Puzzle and Dragons now? Doesn't Famitsu release some figures on mondays when something special appear?

Only for real important stuff (like Monster Hunter for example, or Pokémon). I doubt Puzzle and Dragons Z is that important... if it'd sold 1 million + in just 4 days, maybe. So we'll have to wait a bit more before we get any numbers (unless Gibson -- that Nintendo analyst in Japan -- leaks some stuff on Twitter).

So this is anecdotal and all, but I'm on holidays in Tokyo at the moment and the Wii U is being pushed pretty hard. Ads on trains, and billboards at train stations. Super Mario 3D World demos on tv's at bic camera etc. Puzzles and Dragons is the only thing seemingly being pushed harder.

It's like one of the posters a year ago predicted that Monhun 3G wouldn't sell more than 800k and that a Vita version would sell double the amount (lol). Well that bit him in the ass :p
What's even more hilarious are those trying to spread Wii U's troubles to the 3DS. The 3DS is not doing DS numbers but its fine. I still don't think Wii U is done by a mile......

Dragon

Banned
STFU? Be careful with what you said. I remember a guy who said a similar word got banned. Just a friendly reminder.

Depends who the user is :p. I was told to shut the fuck up outright and the person was fine. I think the point is we should all try to be respectful. Which hopefully can last at least until we get the numbers this week!

What's even more hilarious are those trying to spread Wii U's troubles to the 3DS. The 3DS is not doing DS numbers but its fine. I still don't think Wii U is done by a mile......

The WiiU is in a similar position to the PS3, which everyone agreed started out horribad last gen. The difference is the third party support. For HD games, the PS3 was the system to get. The WiiU simply isn't getting those games right now, and its exclusives, while obviously high quality, aren't selling. Not sure what Nintendo can do to change it at this point.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
MDX: Nintendo's answer to airmangataosenai
Phoenician_Viking: Sony's answer to MDX
???: Nintendo's answer to Phoenician_Viking

I'll update this list often, there are many seats left

Spiegel

Jusr realized that Taiko WiiU has been released already.

Does anyone still thinks that it would have done worse on PS3?

Isn't MH4 at 4 million including digital sales?

Capcom has shipped 4M.

I think adding retail copies + DD estimates from Famitsu the game is around 3.5M

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Still with MH4, eh?
It would be much better to talk about Digimon for Vita, seriously :D

Glass Rebel

Actually, let's talk about Digimon Vita, interesting platform choice.

Very curious choice. One would think that the 3DS is a better choice for a game aimed at kids but who knows what their reasoning is.

I heard there was a high likelihood of large breasts in that game. True, or false?

Search for Devil Survivor and Digimon World Re: Digitize art. It might be the same artist, who knows.

Very curious choice. One would think that the 3DS is a better choice for a game aimed at kids but who knows what their reasoning is.

Yep, the only possible reason that springs to mind is that they have said ReDigitize was on PSP because the Digimon crowd was on PS platforms (to be fair, the original DW games were PS1 exclusives).

But other than that, this is a baffling choice, and it's not coming out until 2015, that's really bizarre even then alone.

Kenka

That's me waiting for the Puzzle & Dragons figures :

g7IsB.gif

Barely exaggerated.

What is the biggest debut for a third-party standalone game on a Nintendo console ever ? Dragon Quest I ?

Quoting myself because I want to know if there is some kind of record at stake with P&D.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Vita actually has a surprisingly robust anime tie-in game line-up in terms of title count.

Vita Only:
-Sword Art Online
-Girls und Panzer
-Tu-Love Ru
-Digimon
-Madoka Magica: Battle Pentagram

Vita/PS3:
-J-Stars Victory
-Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
-Shin Gundam Musou
-Rozen Maiden: Wechseln Sie Welt ab
-Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts
-Super Heroine Chronicle

If I had to guess, Sony has either been spending to get this audience, or they have successfully convinced publishers they have this audience.

Top Bottom