• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think people are downplaying 2012 for the 3DS - the system started the way strong pushed by the year end 2011 releases with MK, MH and 3D Land. You also had the XL, NSMB 2 and with Animal Crossing the biggest release so far.

This year was strong software wise - but they didnt introduce any new hardware, MH4 got delayed, no price drops and the Vita was a stronger competitor this year. So selling nearly as much, when most of the systems being sold are the more expensive 3DS version isnt that bad - after all they will still hit their 5 million goal.

Bruno MB

XX./00. [3DS] Gaist Crusher <ACT> (Capcom) (¥4.990) - Below 7.663 units.

Another casualty of trying to build a big multi-media franchise in a time when even Level 5 is struggling hard to find success. Their only recent moderate success has been Yokai Watch and as we can see in this week's chart Inazuma Eleven series seems done.

phanphare

Banned
I think the Wii U has a stronger first 2 quarters next year in terms of software than it did this year though. So while January will probably be poor, I'm hoping for a stronger baseline.

yeah honestly I expect January to go back to dreadful numbers. but that should be expected by everyone, even Nintendo. then they've got fuckin Donkey Kong, Kart, and possibly Smash in spring. if the Smash rumor pans out I expect the Wii U to do some work in 2014

Mr Swine

Banned
I guess that 3DS will sell around 550-600k before the end of the year, maybe like

150k next week
250k week after
150k at the last week of the year

You'll note that I said active and not pleasant, then.
I didn't realise "active" discussion entailed profanities aimed at people who offer a different take on a situation, but okay....

----

Anyway, good numbers for the Wii U, and reasonable numbers for regular Vita. Vita TV further dying, also as expected.

PS3 bump - not sure if that's the holidays or GT but I can't imagine the latter really has much sales impact these days.

Maedhros

Vita TV really is a massive bomba... probably cheap for them to make it so it doesn't really bring any loss for them, but it won't sell well in Japan at all.

It does have a better chance in the west, if marketed correctly.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Whoa whoa. Hold the phone people. A Wii U bump is nice, but let's not fly off the handle here. Decent (in relative terms anyway) numbers for Wii U will continue for the holiday season and then it's going to hit rock bottom faster than Spongebob and Patrick going home from GloveWorld. Nintendo needs to fast track some titles and quick to keep some sort of momentum going.

Metallix87

Vita TV really is a massive bomba... probably cheap for them to make it so it doesn't really bring any loss for them, but it won't sell well in Japan at all.

It does have a better chance in the west, if marketed correctly.
If by marketed correctly, you mean "dropping the Vita name", then you may be right.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Total 3DS sales in 2012:

Current YTD for 2013:

The difference is 1.23m and there are just 3 weeks left for the year, it would require average sales of over 400k per week, which is more than 275k higher than this week. Last year the 3DS sold 200k for the same week.

2012 may have been the peak year for 3DS, I expected it to be this year given the strength of the titles it received. It should still get to 5m though which is a good achievement.

The user base build up for the titles on 3DS in Japan started at the end of 2011 since SM3DL/MK7 were joined by MH3G in that time frame and it continued all throughout 2012 with Animal Crossing launching before the end of the year there. It's really unlike the west where we got two of those games in 2013 alongside Pokemon. I think it's a bit soon to say 3DS has peaked just yet, but I guess it'll really depend on what is left to come out for it in the next two years.

Amin_and_Azizah

Neo Member
Dat holiday bump. Rise from your grave!

3D World must have sold out of it's initial shipment this week as well.

I just hope that SQUARENIX realizes that Nintendo is only one company and they are single handedly carrying the Wii U console in Japan right now. Thank goodness that Dragon Quest 10 is selling very well on Nintendos HD console right within its first week debute. So I hope that Square Enix continue to throw the Wii U console titles here and there and not jump ship just because the install base is quite low. Now if more companies will at least give the console a chance then maybe their fortunes would change.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is there anything specific about this week that ALL systems are up?

Probably the incoming Christmas holidays

I think people are downplaying 2012 for the 3DS - the system started the way strong pushed by the year end 2011 releases with MK, MH and 3D Land. You also had the XL, NSMB 2 and with Animal Crossing the biggest release so far.

This year was strong software wise - but they didnt introduce any new hardware, MH4 got delayed, no price drops and the Vita was a stronger competitor this year. So selling nearly as much, when most of the systems being sold are the more expensive 3DS version isnt that bad - after all they will still hit their 5 million goal.

I agree, I've always seen the 3DSXL as a major factor and it's not that 2012 didn't have big hits (I remember having this discussion months ago with Smokeydave).
2014?
Probably 2DS, together with another good amount of software: from the medium as Bravely Default 2, to the more important as DQMonster 2 already confirmed, as Kirby (that usually in JP is strong sales-wise), plus I think that one (or even both) among Pokemon Z or a new update of MH4 (could be the Best Print, or even the G version?) will hit the market, together with Smash Bros (I'm expecting gangbuster from the 3DS version, that will hurt Wii u SO MUCH imho) and other unannounced games of course

If the 2DS will have a small impact, we'll probably see another small decrease YoY, otherwise could match up with this year IMHO, that in JP saw no new HW revisions

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Lets all shed a tear for Tearaway btw :'(

This and W101 are my personal most disappointing mega-bombas of the year

And was the sole game to push that holidays which was my point.

It seems unlikely that PDZ will have the same legs as an evergreen first party title. Doing over 600k out of the gate would be a great achievement but I highly doubt it is going to push 3DS hardware to anything like the same degree as AC:NL did.

5m is still a great achievement though. I guess I expected more from this year's software line up...

The user base build up for the titles on 3DS in Japan started at the end of 2011 since SM3DL/MK7 were joined by MH3G in that time frame and it continued all throughout 2012 with Animal Crossing launching before the end of the year there. It's really unlike the west where we got two of those games in 2013 alongside Pokemon. I think it's a bit soon to say 3DS has peaked just yet, but I guess it'll really depend on what is left to come out for it in the next two years.

I was talking specifically about Japan since this is a Japanese sales thread. Globally 2013 could beat 2012, the 2DS performance is going to be key, it needs to bring in new buyers.

The 2DS hasn't launched in Japan though. I expect with a cheaper SKU they may be able to match 2012 again perhaps?

Or has the mobile gaming craze taken too much hold over Japan as well.

Whoa whoa. Hold the phone people. A Wii U bump is nice, but let's not fly off the handle here. Decent (in relative terms anyway) numbers for Wii U will continue for the holiday season and then it's going to hit rock bottom faster than Spongebob and Patrick going home from GloveWorld. Nintendo needs to fast track some titles and quick to keep some sort of momentum going.
Nobody in this thread is getting carried away. What are you even talking about.

I didn't realise "active" discussion entailed profanities aimed at people who offer a different take on a situation, but okay....

----

Anyway, good numbers for the Wii U, and reasonable numbers for regular Vita. Vita TV further dying, also as expected.

PS3 bump - not sure if that's the holidays or GT but I can't imagine the latter really has much sales impact these days.

To be honest these numbers for Vita don't seem good at all.

Celine

Total 3DS sales in 2012:

Current YTD for 2013:

The difference is 1.23m and there are just 3 weeks left for the year, it would require average sales of over 400k per week, which is more than 275k higher than this week. Last year the 3DS sold 200k for the same week.

2012 may have been the peak year for 3DS, I expected it to be this year given the strength of the titles it received. It should still get to 5m though which is a good achievement.
If I'm not mistaken 2012 had one more week compared to 2013 but yeah it's unlikely to be up YoY.

Exile20

There is always some kind of negativity around the Wii U. Can't it just do good this week and wait for next week before you throw doom and gloom around?

Anyway glad to see it picking up. I hope they are picking up SM3DW also, it is GOTY for me.

Is there anything specific about this week that ALL systems are up?

christmas shopping sales bumps plus sales are usually at there highest in december i mean look at the wii in 2010 it still holds the record for highest selling game console in a single month atleast in the americas.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It seems unlikely that PDZ will have the same legs as an evergreen first party title. Doing over 600k out of the gate would be a great achievement but I highly doubt it is going to push 3DS hardware to anything like the same degree as AC:NL did.

5m is still a great achievement though. I guess I expected more from this year's software line up...

It also has Zellda who while hasn't done great in it's console realises was should still a be very strong franchise handheld wise (It was an evergreen for the DS).

It may not manage to beat it but could still very be close with two high profile releases at Christmas.

BowieZ

Banned
Yeah, this was probably their biggest year in releases with MH4 and Pokemon, yet the console is down YoY. I think at this point is fair to assume that the portable market is just not there at it was with the DS and is going to be worst from now on.

Without the heavyhitters it will be nice to see 3DS evolution in 2014.

I wouldn't be dismissing some hopeful heavyhitters of 2014.

Besides the self-evident Pokemon Z, there is potential in Smash Bros. 3DS, Mario Golf, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Yoshi's New Island, and probably Zero Escape 3, Majora's Mask 3D, and many other first and third party games by studios who haven't unveiled anything for a while now.

Keep your congrats for the Wii U, it turned things around by itself ;)
I thought it was supposed to turn around in August once games started coming out? As it is, this is only at best a start. Three key test, as for the other next gen systems, will be how it does post-holiday.

Ty4on

The 2DS hasn't launched in Japan though. I expect with a cheaper SKU they may be able to match 2012 again perhaps?

I'm not so sure with the Vita TV doing nothing at its price and the regular 3DS selling just 30k this week, but who knows. Demand for cheap HW doesn't seem to be that big in Japan.

Orgen

Seriously, saying a "fuck you" for a different opinion (and two times in different threads) and justifying it by being in an active discussion... brbrbr

Let's see what happens if next week Wii U goes up again (I think it's pretty likely). Maybe we'll get a "die motherf*****?" :p (joking!)

Anyway, is this the 6th Inazuma? Maybe Level 5 should realize that the 6th installment of their franchises = death by megabomba?

lefantome

Cool for the Wii U but nothing to be too excited about.

We can now safely assume that 3DS will be down year over year despite Pokemon and Monster Hunter

I wouldn't be dismissing some hopeful heavyhitters of 2014.

Besides the self-evident Pokemon Z, there is potential in Smash Bros. 3DS, Mario Golf, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Yoshi's New Island, and probably Zero Escape 3, Majora's Mask 3D, and many other first and third party games by studios who haven't unveiled anything for a while now.

I don't know that many NIntendo first party studios that haven't released a game in a long time that already isn't announced for Wii U.

Also what the hell at the snipeyness from some people. Wii U isn't turned around in the slightest because of ok holiday numbers.

Sakura

I'm not so sure with the Vita TV doing nothing at its price and the regular 3DS selling just 30k this week, but who knows. Demand for cheap HW doesn't seem to be that big in Japan.

I don't think Vita TV is an apt example.

Seems like some people decided to upgrade Wii to Wii U with DQ X update as it risen much higher then everything else.

also 3DS 2012 had:
week 50 - 319k (MC numbers)
week 51 - 411k
week 52 - 250k

To be honest these numbers for Vita don't seem good at all.
Good is probably too strong a word, that I'd generally refrain from using regarding the Vita; it got a modest bump leading into the holiday season. I am really curious how much everything will collapse post-Holiday though.
The 2DS is a cheap 3DS which removes function that nobody really cares about. The Vita TV is a screenless, tethered Vita that doesn't play the library in full. One is something people already want. The other is something of a leper. They're not really analogous.

FourMyle

Between Week 40 and Week 44 the Wii U sold 12,874 units (MC), and average of 3,219 per week.

In a single week last week it sold nearly 4 times that combined 4 weeks of sales.

Fuck you if you want to pretend this week's number was likely.

holy shit lol

You've been hoping for such a Wii U bump just so you could post something like this huh? Embarrassing.

Glass Rebel

Happy with the Bravely Default sales. For an enhanced re-release that's pretty decent.

At least one country seems to have some good taste left

UK
50GcvOF.png

SmokyDave

Lets all shed a tear for Tearaway btw :'(

This and W101 are my personal most disappointing mega-bombas of the year
This one's the opposite of GT6 for me. I'm amazed that it has seemed to do better in the UK. It's all relative, of course. Poor thing has bombed badly.

Top Bottom