• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

Agreed, not necessarily declines, but poor decision making at Sony. They likely hurt the images of their respective franchises, though.

Probably yeah.
PD just did what they always do, 2 GT games in a generation but they usually release them before the new playstation consoles are out, so this time it's probably going to bite them in the ass more than usual. They would be screwed without Europe.
SSM really was a weird choice, since they have several teams and do a lot of co-development in other games. Should have just skipped Ascension entirely and continued co-developing stuff on other platforms and start ps4 development.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
According to your list, GT5 sold less than GT4, only if you count Prologue on top of it it wins. Also, GT5 should be compared to GT3, not 4. 6 should be compared to 4. However, install base is a very important factor, just look at Mario. So GT has been a very strong franchise this generation, definitely.

2006 also had the launch of the DS Lite in addition to that. I'm sure you know the model relaunch for 3DS was in 2012, not 2013. 2012 also was no slouch in terms of software releases, especially with mid-tier titles where I feel 2013 has fallen a little short of.

DS' peak was in 2006. It launched in late 2004.

Mostly because it was the best year in terms of software. The best selling titles from DS are from 2006 (and the best selling titles from 21th century), there's no way DS next years could do that again. 3DS best selling titles won't be from 2012.

And in 2007 DS sold 21m consoles until that moment. LOL at 3DS peaking at 14m.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So you are saying we are not allowed to celebrate little unforseen bumps?

The spark of optimism reminds me of how Vita owners like Dave got excited when Vita had decent bumps only to get back in its coffin the next week.

Vita owners including myself. I would be lying if I said seeing a rise in sales doesn't make me happy, but I know the Vita's place in the market and the troubles it faces. I'm not saying people can't celebrate. Hell, I did a jig in that same quote you just posted. Now look at where we are with VitaTV. Abysmal.

Third week:

One Piece Red - 15.615 / 119.289
One Piece Cruise - 10.337 / 106.852

Man, Cruise SP had monster legs to get to 300k. I hope Red gets there too because it looks like a really solid effort.

Mostly because it was the best year in terms of software. The best selling titles from DS are from 2006 (and the best selling titles from 21th century), there's no way DS next years could do that again. 3DS best selling titles won't be from 2012.

And in 2007 DS sold 21m consoles until that moment. LOL at 3DS peaking at 14m.
LOL @ 3DS being behind the best selling system in Japan (and being the 2nd fastest selling system in Japan). Indeed. I guess all other systems are a failure then.

2012 and 2013 are very comparable in terms of incentives provided to sell systems; this has been argued by me and many others numerous times. 2013 had a hole especially in the Q1/Q2 period that it suffered from due to MH4's delay. In the end, we're arguing over a minor sales drop even comparing DS' 2006 -> 2007 so whatevs.

You can try and paint this as bad news all you want but Nintendo's own goal is to sell 5m this year. Seemed like they actually had realistic expectations because that could indeed be achieved. But we'll see.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Nice to see the WiiU fare well, hopefully NPD shows some improvement as well. Still, I believe this is just a nice holiday bump and it will settle back to low numbers early next year.

Ty4on

DQX maybe explains it, but the sudden rise in sales looks strange compared to other years where sales the last week of Nov and first week of Dec are very similar. Super Mario 3D World sales were decent as well so it seems healthy. The bundles seem to have really helped it.

Yoshi

DQX maybe explains it, but the sudden rise in sales looks strange compared to other years where sales the last week of Nov and first week of Dec are very similar. Super Mario 3D World sales were decent as well so it seems healthy. The bundles seem to have really helped it.
GameCube had Mario Party 5, Resident Evil Zero, Super Mario Sunshine and a very big preorder campaign for Zelda: WW in 2002. So the higher numbers in November are to be expected. Of course, this might have lowered the impact of the holiday-bump.

Tom_Cody

Famitsu Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

08./10. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 43.817 / 707.550 <80-100%> (+75%)
09./05. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 39.298 / 185.571 <60-80%> (+0%)
Can anyone explain the presence of these NSMBU numbers on the Famitsu chart? The title does not appear on the Media Create chart. Are they counting copies bundled with systems?

Yoshi

Can anyone explain the presence of these NSMBU numbers on the Famitsu chart? Are they counting copies bundled with systems?

Yes. This way the game has a good chance of reaching a million sold units, which would be a respectable result on such a weak console :).

Shengar

Go figure, the second GT game in a generation continues to sell less and a fourth GOW game that no one wanted sold like crap, much like the other GOW.
Truly the signs of declining franchises.

God of War could be still a franchise. All it need is just scarp Kratos, let him rest in pieces. Why not try other mythology like Egypt or Norse with brand new character? They should keep the name, but let it have another fresh start. Kratos is totally burned at this point and further game about him will just hurt the brand as a whole.

Can't believe Vita TV is doing worse. Was really hoping for it to be a success.

Maybe it'll get a small boost around the time of PS4's launch, but really it's a poor alternative to the Vita in a country where portability is a significant factor.

oh wow, gaist crusher didn't even chart? damn

i didn't think the demo was great, and as long as treasure got their check i guess i'm happy, but...
damn. from my understanding that was a pretty big investment

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Go figure, the second GT game in a generation continues to sell less and a fourth GOW game that no one wanted sold like crap, much like the other GOW.
Truly the signs of declining franchises.

GT6 should've been saved for PS4, as once a generation is enough for these games. Would've been nice to receive Omega Boost 2 as PD's last PS3 title, but that sure isn't going to happen.

Nibel

TV/GO Road To Glory:

TV: 42.172 > 7.868 > 5.391 > 3.772 (59.203)

GO: 29.109 > 13.992 > 6.427 > 4,574 (54,102)

Well, shit - I really hope they bring that thing to Europe because it really seems to be a neat companion device

You know what, random question to those who know: do Japanese players just don't prefer consoles or are TVs unpopular in general? :lol

Vita owners including myself. I would be lying if I said seeing a rise in sales doesn't make me happy, but I know the Vita's place in the market and the troubles it faces. I'm not saying people can't celebrate. Hell, I did a jig in that same quote you just posted. Now look at where we are with VitaTV. Abysmal.

Vita owners including myself were happy to see the system doing good back then, and yet I never said it's inappropriate to celebrate - because the system had a hard life in the world, just like the Wii U, and celebrate some small successes is no problem no matter the future sales of the platform

I'd agree with you if anybody would show up and say shit like "Wii U is becoming Japan's new main home console" or "PS4 doesn't need to launch, Wii U is already there!!!", but nobody is doing so because we know the situation for months now - it's just a cool change of things, that's all

Man, Cruise SP had monster legs to get to 300k. I hope Red gets there too because it looks like a really solid effort.

LOL @ 3DS being behind the best selling system in Japan (and being the 2nd fastest selling system in Japan). Indeed. I guess all other systems are a failure then.

2012 and 2013 are very comparable in terms of incentives provided to sell systems; this has been argued by me and many others numerous times. 2013 had a hole especially in the Q1/Q2 period that it suffered from due to MH4's delay. In the end, we're arguing over a minor sales drop even comparing DS' 2006 -> 2007 so whatevs.

You can try and paint this as bad news all you want but Nintendo's own goal is to sell 5m this year. Seemed like they actually had realistic expectations because that could indeed be achieved. But we'll see.

The other systems aren't a successor of the DS. You can't ask Vita to have a similar performance than DS, but you should ask that for the 3DS. People consider PS3 a failure because it also didn't sell as much as the best selling console of all time, although it reached 80m, way more than most console systems.

3DS is not escaping his legacy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good grief. VitaTV really did crater after release. And Sony is thinking of releasing it over here in America? LOL Good luck with that.

I don't know why there's such a focus on Vita TV. To me it's like a Sega CDX. It's not the main system, it's just a little offshoot. Although I don't expect sales to explode when PS4 hits, a big selling point is letting you play PS4 games on another TV.

Nice to see Wii U bump, but I'm guessing that's from DQX more than anything else.

-Didn't expect Gran Turismo 6 to put up those numbers out of the gate, I still figure it'll be one of those long haul sellers.

-Nice bump for WiiU, hopefully it can maintain that momentum in some degree. Same for Vita staying above 20k, not great numbers but relatively better than their previous baselines.

Ty4on

What's Wii U and NSMBU separately?

6k yen is the regular price for a Nintendo game on the WiiU. Very few seem to opt for a console without a bundle even though the basic can be had for like 24k yen. I just find it interesting as the only WiiU I'd buy would be the cheapest unless it was bundled with some must have games :p

Vita: 20.202 > 25.594

DQfBJPx.png

Sony released three value packs this week, I was expecting more but I guess 5k is not that bad.

And another generation of children learns the hard lesson of crappy licensed games.
It's actually pretty well reviewed online, lol. We will see how well it holds next week.

Someone asked the Vita Calendar for the next year on the last topic. As of it now:

January : Dragon Ball Z - Battle of Z (23), UtaKumi 575 (23), Tokyo Operation Abyss (30), Disgaea 4 Returns (30), Amagami+ (30)
February: Terraria (6), Puyo Puyo Tetris (6), Super Heroine Chronicles (6), Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds (13), Natural Doctrine (22), Valhalla Knights 3 G (27), Deception IV (27), Infinite Stratos 2 (27)
March: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F2 (6), Soul Sacrifice Delta (6), Sengoku Musou 4 (20), J-Stars Victory VS (19), Neptunia Rebirth 2 (20), Winning Post 8 (27)
April: Chrono Materia, Sword Art Online: Hollow Memories (24)

Sword Art Online will save the Vita.

What Bravely Default sold badly in UK?! That country's taste is getting worse by the day.

It didn't even make the top 40 and just because your favourite game bombed does not mean UK's "taste" is getting worse. Its been pretty much the same for quite some time.

Jump to conclusions much?

Gran Turismo 10,850
Gran Turismo 2 9,370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 1,400
Gran Turismo 4 11,730
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 5,350
Gran Turismo PSP 4,220
Gran Turismo 5 10,660

GT5 sold more than GT4 even with the lower install base.
It also destroyed GT4 if you count GT5 Prologue.
It's the second most sold GT ever (losing to GT3).
Once again, It's even bigger than that if you count GT5 Prologue.

GT6 is a victim of a business strategy: Give one last big exclusive to PS3 owners and take advantage of the higher install base. Sales suffered due nextgen arriving at the same time.
That said, It will have big legs, just like GT5. I can see it reaching 6M before GT7 launches. Sony still should have launched this sooner or made it a PS4 game.

Yeah I don't see a decline either. If anything GT5 showed an increase for the franchise accounting the base differences. We expected a decline in GT6 due to it being the second iteration and though it may still reach the lofty heights of 6-7 million+ its decline in Japan is worrying. I'm guessing they shipped 400-500k so hopefully it will be able to sell its initial shipment.

Is WiiU still lagging behind the Vita in terms of holiday sales? I did predict the Vita will sell more over the holidays.

Ty4on

The other systems aren't a successor of the DS. You can't ask Vita to have a similar performance than DS, but you should ask that for the 3DS. People consider PS3 a failure because it also didn't sell as much as the best selling console of all time, although it reached 80m, way more than most console systems.

The PS3 was a failiure because Sony went from making money and dominating to playing catch up and losing a ton of money.

Yoshi

6k yen is the regular price for a Nintendo game on the WiiU. Very few seem to opt for a console without a bundle even though the basic can be had for like 24k yen. I just find it interesting as the only WiiU I'd buy would be the cheapest unless it was bundled with some must have games :p

OK, I think then it is fair to count the NSMBU sales toward the game when they are coming from the bundle. Buying NSMBU+Wii U would still be cheaper (and what I'd do) and you'd get a real copy of it. Of course, you're getting a permium if you buy the bundle, but some of the extra space is also taken up by the game. Wii Party U doesn't count, that's one horrible game :D.

PS3 is a considered a failure by some because it didn't make Sony any money but instead lost them tons. It had a turnaround in fortunes but overall its main success was in keeping the Playstation brand relevant and cutting the losses significantly which put Sony in a good position to launch the PS4. In that sense it can be considered a small, yet significant kind of success. My point basically is that success isn't necessarily a binary situation where "greater than" or "less than" sales are the sole determining factors. I'm not saying the 3DS is a success...yet, but being behind the DS doesn't automatically disqualify it.

Jump to conclusions much?

Gran Turismo 10,850
Gran Turismo 2 9,370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 1,400
Gran Turismo 4 11,730
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 5,350
Gran Turismo PSP 4,220
Gran Turismo 5 10,660

GT5 sold more than GT4 even with the lower install base.
It also destroyed GT4 if you count GT5 Prologue.
It's the second most sold GT ever (losing to GT3).
Once again, It's even bigger than that if you count GT5 Prologue.

GT6 is a victim of a business strategy: Give one last big exclusive to PS3 owners and take advantage of the higher install base. Sales suffered due nextgen arriving at the same time.
That said, It will have big legs, just like GT5. I can see it reaching 6M before GT7 launches. Sony still should have launched this sooner or made it a PS4 game.

I figured most people would catch my sarcasm. Guess not :p

God of War could be still a franchise. All it need is just scarp Kratos, let him rest in pieces. Why not try other mythology like Egypt or Norse with brand new character? They should keep the name, but let it have another fresh start. Kratos is totally burned at this point and further game about him will just hurt the brand as a whole.

I agree, Ascension was just a poor decision. Give the franchise a rest for a few years, give it a twist by changing the characters, new setting, whatever. People are kinda burned out on it.

GT6 should've been saved for PS4, as once a generation is enough for these games. Would've been nice to receive Omega Boost 2 as PD's last PS3 title, but that sure isn't going to happen.

I guess. They're very much set in their ways, and since the franchise is almost nonexistent in Japan, not that big in the US and huge in Europe, they probably figured it would be best to release GT6 on PS3, since PS3 is huge here and their biggest territory.

Wouldn't those games usually sell much higher thanks to the huge installbase? I don't see a decline in GTA. Anyway I was just curious, and it seems most people agree GT is still Sony's biggest IP, hopefully they'll do something interesting for 7.

See my other post in this thread, and the responses above. God of War wasn't even gow "4" and gt6 is just the "victim" of some poor decisions.
Declining franchises? Too early to call.

Sword Art Online will save the Vita.

It didn't even make the top 40 and just because your favourite game bombed does not mean UK's "taste" is getting worse. Its been pretty much the same for quite some time.

Yeah I don't see a decline either. If anything GT5 showed an increase for the franchise accounting the base differences. We expected a decline in GT6 due to it being the second iteration and though it may still reach the lofty heights of 6-7 million+ its decline in Japan is worrying. I'm guessing they shipped 400-500k so hopefully it will be able to sell its initial shipment.

Is WiiU still lagging behind the Vita in terms of holiday sales? I did predict the Vita will sell more over the holidays.

I don't think there is any hope of that.

Tripon

27./26. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 7.996 / 33.261 <20-40%> (+3%)

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm really surprised that Namco-Bandai didn't release a Wii version to hedge their bets. Taiko is fucked over.

rschauby

Banned
About time Wii U gets some good news. Keep those bundles and sale prices and promos coming Nintendo. You need to keep the momentum!

Top Bottom