• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

PS3 is a considered a failure by some because it didn't make Sony any money but instead lost them tons. It had a turnaround in fortunes but overall its main success was in keeping the Playstation brand relevant and cutting the losses significantly which put Sony in a good position to launch the PS4. In that sense it can be considered a small, yet significant kind of success. My point basically is that success isn't necessarily a binary situation where "greater than" or "less than" sales are the sole determining factors. I'm not saying the 3DS is a success...yet, but being behind the DS doesn't automatically disqualify it.

Losing half of your marketshare is a failure too, beyond money or anything. Sony losed they privileged position in the market like Nintendo did, they didn't only fail in "making money" they failed also at that. The fact 3DS isn't capitalizing all that market created by DS is a failure by itself, despict the fact that 3DS is making money for Nintendo (way less money that DS, that said).

It also missing all Nintendo forecast until now. Something is not going well, clearly.

Tom_Cody

It's actually pretty well reviewed online, lol. We will see how well it holds next week.
I have no idea, lol. I was just reminded of all of the crappy licensed NES and GB games I had as a kid. It wasn't until I was ~10 years old that I came to realize that a game's quality is dictated by its developers and not it's concept/characters.

Yeah Vita traditionally sells like crap during holidays with a minimal bump. Lower price point and bigger games are helping it this year but it was never going to get a signfiant point.

Well I asked this question about a week ago and it wasn't so unanimous :p Hindsight always is 20/20 etc.

Losing half of your marketshare is a failure too, beyond money or anything. Sony losed they privileged position in the market like Nintendo did, they didn't only fail in "making money" they failed also at that. The fact 3DS isn't capitalizing all that market created by DS is a failure by itself, despict the fact that 3DS is making money for Nintendo (way less money that DS, that said).

It also missing all Nintendo forecast until now. Something is not going well, clearly.
I guess the DS losing marketshare was a failure then. Sometimes your competition just steals some of your share and there's nothing you can do about it, but in the PS3's case, price was obviously the main problem. In the case of the DS, raw sales didn't even suffer. Anyway, the point is that it isn't binary. As long as you're not declaring the 3DS a failure solely because its falling behind the DS then I have nothing else to argue.

| WIU | 48.762 |

[WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 43.844 / 183.245 (+10%)

tumblr_ma3j75LBvx1rqg45q.gif

Wii wish U a merry Christmas!

Taker666

The other systems aren't a successor of the DS. You can't ask Vita to have a similar performance than DS, but you should ask that for the 3DS. People consider PS3 a failure because it also didn't sell as much as the best selling console of all time, although it reached 80m, way more than most console systems.

3DS is not escaping his legacy.

..but you can ask for it to have a similar performance to the PSP.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well I asked this question about a week ago and it wasn't so unanimous :p Hindsight always is 20/20 etc.

Not really hindsight those people were just completely unrealistic. We're talking about a system that sold around 10k this time last year. You'd have to be fairly delusional to believe the Vita would get a significant sales bump now.

It's the simple fact that the people that buy a Vita aren't generally the type that would pick it up as a present for someone else during the holidays (e.g parents). Nintendo products typically are so of course it would beat it. Post holidays is another question entirely, since the Vitas far more consistent in that regard. (sure it'll drop like a rock but it'll normally get back up fairly soon).

Bruno MB

2 years without a new Yu-Gi-Oh! entry.

Here's the franchise at its peak: [NGB] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters IV (Konami) {2000.12.07} - 1.228.599 / 2.210.163

Code:
[PSX] Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Breed & Battle	(Konami) {1998.07/.23} - 80.259 / 255.490
[NGB] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (Konami) {1998.12.17} - 683.948 / 1.522.971
[NGB] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters II (Konami) {1999.07.08} - 401.533 / 984.862
[PSX] Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories (Konami) {1999.12.09} - 183.295 / 453.034
[NGB] Yu-Gi-Oh! Capture Monster GB (Konami) {2000.04.13} - 36.220 / 129.095
[NGB] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters III (Konami) {2000.07.13} - 327.686 / 726.519
[PSX] Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories [Konami the Best] (Konami) {2000.07.13} - 5.014 / 57.770
[NGB] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters IV (Konami) {2000.12.07} - 1.228.599 / 2.210.163
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Dungeon Dice Monsters (Konami) {2001.03.21} - 61.325 / 145.354
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 5: Expert 1 (Konami) {2001.07.05} - 221.654 / 410.534
[PS2] Yu-Gi-Oh! The Duelists of the Roses (Konami) {2001.09.06} - 39.730 / 76.248
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 6: Expert 2 (Konami) {2001.12.20} - 139.947 / 264.056
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 7: The Sacred Cards (Konami) {2002.07.04} - 128.343 / 238.112
[GCN] Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom (Konami) {2002.12.05} - 13.312 / 35.463
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 8: Hametsu no Daijashin (Konami) {2003.03.20} - 53.944 / 118.122
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: International (Konami) {2003.04.17} - 21.300 / 58.798
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Expert 3 (Konami) {2004.02.05} - 29.929 / 73.870
[PS2] Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Colosseum (Konami) {2004.07.29} - 8.166 / 17.080
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: International 2 (Konami) {2004.12.30} - 30.791 / 67.205
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Beginner's Pack 2005 (Konami) {2005.04.28} - 5.208 / 21.561
[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Nightmare Troubadour (Konami) {2005.07.21} - 39.016 / 102.249
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX (Konami) {2005.10.13} - 37.483 / 89.862
[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2006 (Konami) {2006.02.23} - 22.186 / 71.644
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force (Konami) {2006.09.14} - 20.491 / 47.761
[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Spirit Summoner (Konami) {2006.11.30} - 20.521 / 98.502
[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2007 (Konami) {2007.03.15} - 18.025 / 57.322
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 2 (Konami) {2007.09.27} - 30.168 / 121.285
[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008 (Konami) {2007.11.29} - 38.563 / 146.945
[PS2] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force Evolution (Konami) {2007.12.06} - 7.300 / 7.300
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 3	(Konami) {2008.11.27} -	63.885 / 161.878
[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2009: Stardust Accelerator (Konami) {2009.03.26} - 36.491 / 91.895
[WII] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers (Konami) {2009.03.26} - 7.700 / 32.234
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 (Konami) {2009.09.17} - 52.235 / 111.136
[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia (Konami) {2010.02.18} - 24.538 / 60.636
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 (Konami) {2010.09.16} - 53.380 / 98.423
[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over The Nexus (Konami) {2011.02.24} - 22.401 / 55.167
[WII] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Duel Transer (Konami) {2011.04.21} - 4.088 / 13.743
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 6 (Konami) {2011.09.22} - 66.007 / 122.800
[B][3DS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Clash! Duel Carnival! (Konami) {2013.12.05} - 38.451 / NEW[/B]

Ty4on

OK, I think then it is fair to count the NSMBU sales toward the game when they are coming from the bundle. Buying NSMBU+Wii U would still be cheaper (and what I'd do) and you'd get a real copy of it. Of course, you're getting a permium if you buy the bundle, but some of the extra space is also taken up by the game. Wii Party U doesn't count, that's one horrible game :D.

Wii Party U is ironically outselling NSMBU. It sold 5.5k more as a standalone game last week :p

Kandinsky

Vita is selling great and it will only get better from now on, I'm happy.

WiiU bump seems about right considering Nintendo owns Navidad.

UNCMark

Banned
Impressive rise for Wii U and Mario, and an impressive drop in week 1 numbers for GT from 5 to 6. Also poor Vita. Santa no like you.

I guess the DS losing marketshare was a failure then. Sometimes your competition just steals some of your share and there's nothing you can do about it, but in the PS3's case, price was obviously the main problem. In the case of the DS, raw sales didn't even suffer. Anyway, the point is that it isn't binary. As long as you're not declaring the 3DS a failure solely because its falling behind the DS then I have nothing else to argue.

DS losing marketshare over the years is reasonable, but the success of the system and how much sales and market gained over GBA is undeniable. Comparing both is rubbish as you know pretty well. DS losing their incredible percentage of domination is not a failure, 3DS not capitalizing that market and failing way behind DS numbers IS a failure, even if it's making money.

And Nintendo could have done plenty of things to avoid this situation. Like you said on the PS3 price situation, 3DS was overpriced too for starters. Nintendo didn't read how much the situation was changing already in the last years of DS, and the result is 3DS.

..but you can ask for it to have a similar performance to the PSP.

Yeah and I'm not arguing that Vita is not a failure too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A couple of questions:

1) To me, Vita TV had Japanese market in mind, as a product. I wasn't expecting these horrible numbers at all. Is this a wrong impression I had? Or was people expecting decent numbers for it in the JP market as I was doing?

2) can't understand why, if SE (finally!) realize and push a nre IP as Bravely Default obtaining 274,972 (retail copies by Garaph) with 35k for the "expension pack", everyone go "YEAH GREAT", while people continue to judge negatively Level% results, while:
- Obviously they put effort on multimedia projects but they also obtained way bigger results with Inazuma Eleven (even this episode sold 100k at launch, and we saw that they usually sell for some weeks at least, before desappearing), and gained them also revenues from the merchandise (and got good sales in some European markets too); brand- fatigue? yes of course. but is that so crucial when you are basing your game on a tv series? I don't think so, honestly
- They were able to sell 231,299 with Fantasy Life (retail copies by Garaph), that didn't have any multimedia budget behind, with the expension pack able to sell very similarly to BD for the sequel numbers
- They were able to sell 230K of Youkai Watch, waiting for the hairing of the TV series

jakncoke

Banned
I wonder if PD and Sony will try and slap a coat of paint on GT6 and try to sell it as a budget title for PS4 before GT7 comes out.

Oregano

Fantasy Life and Youkai Watch are considered successes. Level 5's problem is franchise sustainability. They just haven't been able to do it. They've killed Layton, Little Battlers and Inazuma Eleven already.

DS losing marketshare over the years is reasonable, but the success of the system and how much sales and market gained over GBA is undeniable. Comparing both is rubbish as you know pretty well. DS losing their incredible percentage of domination is not a failure, 3DS not capitalizing that market and failing way behind DS numbers IS a failure, even if it's making money.

And Nintendo could have done plenty of things to avoid this situation. Like you said on the PS3 price situation, 3DS was overpriced too for starters. Nintendo didn't read how much the situation was changing already in the last years of DS, and the result is 3DS.
I'm just showing you how flawed your criteria is when you apply it to varying situations. I'm not making any comparison as such.

Not really hindsight those people were just completely unrealistic. We're talking about a system that sold around 10k this time last year. You'd have to be fairly delusional to believe the Vita would get a significant sales bump now.

It's the simple fact that the people that buy a Vita aren't generally the type that would pick it up as a present for someone else during the holidays (e.g parents). Nintendo products typically are so of course it would beat it. Post holidays is another question entirely, since the Vitas far more consistent in that regard. (sure it'll drop like a rock but it'll normally get back up fairly soon).
Well, I'm just saying that this reasoning wasn't common place. I mean the WiiU was defying even the worst predictions so there was no guarantee that it'd get the typical Nintendo holiday bump.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Wii Party U is ironically outselling NSMBU. It sold 5.5k more as a standalone game last week :p
It's new and bundled with a controller though. Looking at the seel-through, Wii Party U is not doing all too hot on its own.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm just showing you how flawed your criteria is when you apply it to varying situations. I'm not making any comparison as such.

Well, I'm just saying that this reasoning wasn't common place. I mean the WiiU was defying even the worst predictions so there was no guarantee that it'd get the typical Nintendo holiday bump.

It still had a mario and wasn't too ridiculous in price. It's not that surprising. If the Wii u didn't have a new Mario released for then it'd have a decent chance. But the difference between the Vita sales and the wii u's aren't great enough, surpass the expect bump.

Tripon

It's new and bundled with a controller though. Looking at the seel-through, Wii Party U is not doing all too hot on its own.

Wii Party U is probably selling to families looking to get some Wii Sports casual play going on. Mario U is for people who like platformers.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I hope you didn't take that post seriously.

What Vita beating WiiU or WiiU beating Vita? What do the numbers look like?

Vita beating Wii U. for Christmas. No idea on numbers but I'm guessing he's expecting the wii u to continue with it's normal holiday bump and the Vita to continue to do what it's been doing (staying reasonably consisten.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Those Wii U bundles are really helping!

Nintendo always performs well during the holiday period; though improving, Nintendo needs to provide constant support for the platform after the holiday rush in order to maintain a certain continuity and momentum.

3DS is doing good. P&D will be a hit no matter what, how much so that remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see as I can see it achieving 1.2 million by year-end.

Hope it gets localized :)

Also, the McDonald promotion (Mario toys) in each kids meal was brilliant marketing strategy by Nintendo Japan for the holiday season and a healthy percentage of sales can be attributed to that.

Shengar

God Eater 2 didn't save the Vita. SAO will be lucky to sell more than P4G.

I hope you are not serious. As much as I hate SAO, it is a big series currently in Japan and many of the fanbase overlap with video gamers due to the nature of the story, all with strong following. If GGO/SAO S2 announced for spring, expected it to break 500k sales in first week. Although such blockbuster anime usually reserved for summer slot.

sajj316

Mentioned this in the Vita TV Import thread .. just allow me to use my Vita has a controller and I get 100% compatibility.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why are people down on Vita sales? Looks like its at least holding steady now.

Nothing wrong with Vita's sales (aside from tv which are terrible) they were just expecting more of a holiday bump, when after 2 holidays Vita hasn't really received much of a thing. It's more about expectations.

Top Bottom