• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

21./12. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) - 12.441 / 227.760 <80-100%> (-43%)

b23.png

PES 2014 vs PES 2013:

2013 (Total = 651,395)

PSP : Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 ( Konami ) { 2012-11-01 } - 34,486 / 143,047
PS3 : Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 ( Konami ) { 2012-10-04 } - 234,383 / 448,727
3DS : Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 ( Konami ) { 2012-11-01 } - 9,084 / 32,534
WII : Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 ( Konami ) { 2012-11-01 } - 8,387 / 27,087

2014 so far (Total = 268,005)

PS3 : Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 ( Konami ) { 2013-11-14 } - 153,410 / 227,760
PSP : Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 ( Konami ) { 2013-11-14 } - 16,504 / 24,069
3DS : Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 ( Konami ) { 2013-11-14 } - 10,459 / 16,176

Fox Engine obviously didn't do shit for Japanese gamers.

This is the 3DS's best year for software by far and yet it's going to underperform 2012 by a good amount. It's doing good, but I'm sure Nintendo expected more. They likely will miss the 3DS forecast, so not only will they have to drop the Wii U forecast they will have to drop the 3DS forecast.

Nintendo expected 5m YTD. They never expected it to surpass 2012. You guys need to stop downplaying 2012. It didn't have as many big hitters, but the stream of releases were a lot more concentrated than 2013.

Mecha

Did Gaist Crusher do even worse than Gotcha Force?
please say yes

No idea, but even if Gotcha Force sold 4k it wouldn't have had a costly advertisement campaign behind it that adds on to the losses.

I would love Gotcha Force to get a reboot, but I can't imagine it would do well right now.

Honestly don't see how, It's improve the console situation but the console situation hasn't been good this entire generation it's also expensive and will for a long time be severely lacking in support even in comparison to the Vita..

If the PS4 changes things I doubt it'd be apparent this time next year.

Yeah, console gaming seems to be going down in general from what we've been able to see. I still have hopes that Wii U will pick up to a decent level week to week but PS4 will have the same hurdle after initial release. It's also more expensive. Handhelds will be king for the forseeable future.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Vita just have that 80k week.

Just did a quick calculation in my head (rounding to the nearest 1k):

From Nov-Present:

Vita is 73 000 ahead of WiiU

3 weeks left so the WiiU needs to beat the Vita by 24k each week.

Anyone taking any bets :) this seems close.

Christmas: in Japan it starts when God Eater and Vita TV launches mid November

the vita is getting a good stream of games that sell moderately well now, and its ytd sales are almost double what they were a year ago. it's not nearly irrelevant like the wii u is.

But it doesn't have the (relative) big hitters like WiiU. NSMBU has sold more than any Vita game by a significant margin for example. Both are simply products with a limited appeal. Vita needs bigger hitters and WiiU needs actual third party support. Equal yet opposite problems imo.

Where did Nintendo say they expected 5 million YTD?
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ms-for-5-million-japanese-3ds-sales-this-year

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
b23.png

PES 2014 vs PES 2013:

2013 (Total = 651,395)

2014 so far (Total = 268,005)

Fox Engine obviously didn't do shit for Japanese gamers.

Strangely, PES 2014 on 3DS is perfoming better than last year entry. Heck, as said earlier, right now it's higher than PS3 SKU on Amazon, first time...ever XD

Jamix012

the vita is getting a good stream of games that sell moderately well now, and its ytd sales are almost double what they were a year ago. it's not nearly irrelevant like the wii u is.

I was somewhat with you, especially with the sickeningly festive Nintendo atmosphere in here, but you've got to let it go. The Vita is largely irrelevant other than the small niche it's established in Japan and the Wii U is largely irrelevant too. Arguing one is more relevent than the other is kind of ridiculous as (right now) they're both in a coma. Regardless of whether one is in a coffin and one is in a hospital, they're both irrlevent.

Can anyone humour me with some figures? Do we know the LTD of the Game Gear in Japan (or in any region for that matter)?

How much did zelda 3 & links awakening sell back in the day?

I know zelda has sold poorly recently in japan, but this is the first time nintendo themselves have made a truly classic-style zelda game in close to 2 decades.

AniHawk

But it doesn't have the (relative) big hitters like WiiU. NSMBU has sold more than any Vita game by a significant margin for example. Both are simply products with a limited appeal. Vita needs bigger hitters and WiiU needs actual third party suppose. Equal yet opposite problems imo.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ms-for-5-million-japanese-3ds-sales-this-year

fair enough. i think sony's strategy of letting it glide on by is definitely helping in japan more than the rest of the world, at least. nintendo's plan to have heavy hitters with concentrated marketing works only in america. they should be learning from each other to make their platforms a success. if the wii u was a sony platform, i would imagine every indie game would be advertised on tv and if the vita was a nintendo product, they would have had naughty dog making games for the machine.

Lesiroth

I was somewhat with you, especially with the sickeningly festive Nintendo atmosphere in here, but you've got to let it go. The Vita is largely irrelevant other than the small niche it's established in Japan and the Wii U is largely irrelevant too. Arguing one is more relevent than the other is kind of ridiculous as (right now) they're both in a coma. Regardless of whether one is in a coffin and one is in a hospital, they're both irrlevent.

Can anyone humour me with some figures? Do we know the LTD of the Game Gear in Japan (or in any region for that matter)?

Except AniHawk is right. One of these platforms is somewhat viable for third party releases, the other isn't.

AniHawk

How much did zelda 3 & links awakening sell back in the day?

I know zelda has sold poorly recently in japan, but this is the first time nintendo themselves have made a truly classic-style zelda game in close to 2 decades.

alttp did 1.16m
ladx did 200k+
the oracles games did about 400k each
the minish cap did around 200k

Metallix87

Vita may have found a niche audience in Japan, but that doesn't make it a force. Irrelevance continues to nip at it's heels.

Mecha

Wow, that's a lot of money burned there. Why does it failed so hard? Any particular reason?

I personally believe advertising it in Saikyo Jump hurt it a bit. The last franchise that tried to advertise itself in Saikyo over CoroCoro was Gyrozetter, and that failed quickly too. Clearly the magazine choice isn't the main issue, but with kids who knows what it really was.

fair enough. i think sony's strategy of letting it glide on by is definitely helping in japan more than the rest of the world, at least. nintendo's plan to have heavy hitters with concentrated marketing works only in america. they should be learning from each other to make their platforms a success. if the wii u was a sony platform, i would imagine every indie game would be advertised on tv and if the vita was a nintendo product, they would have had naughty dog making games for the machine.
I agree with this. Except I doubt it is even that viable in NA with much heavier competition in a console centric market. The N64 and GC survived just enough there with that strategy but these are very different times. I don't know what Nintendo could have done to salvage the WiiU in Japan though, maybe they could have pushed for more PS3 ports, I guess.

Mory Dunz

3DS might not have a horrible 2014.
My guesses:
Mario Golf
Smash
Kirby
Majoras Mask
Pokemon Z
DK TF for Christmas
2DS

I guess we'll see.

Another question, I don't see KH staying away from handheld entries even with KH3 coming out. Vita is the only handheld without an entry, do you think it would get the next one? I think it'd do well enough...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, even if you throw in KH3, MGS5, and FF15, what else is announced post launch?

Eh, there has been only one announcement since TGS, and that's the PS4 version of Nobunaga's Online, coming in March and on PS2, PS3 and PC as well. At least, there's Ground Zeros at March. FFXIV is in April, right? (and that's another cross gen title). After that...nothing.

alttp did 1.16m
ladx did 200k+
the oracles games did about 400k each
the minish cap did around 200k

Cheers for that. There's no LA data or you're conflating the two?

I'll be very interested to see the sales that ALBW gets, as it'll answer the question of whether Japan went off Zelda wholesale, or just didn't like the switch to 3D(as happened with super mario).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Eh, there has been only one announcement since TGS, and that's the PS4 version of Nobunaga's Online, coming in March and on PS2, PS3 and PC as well. At least, there's Ground Zeros at March. FFXIV is in April, right? (and that's another cross gen title). After that...nothing.

It's about as bad as wii u. which saying something.

They're putting them all on mobile.

Why not both? If your still releasing mainline games on the handheld you might as well put some of the spin offs.

I hope you are not serious. As much as I hate SAO, it is a big series currently in Japan and many of the fanbase overlap with video gamers due to the nature of the story, all with strong following. If GGO/SAO S2 announced for spring, expected it to break 500k sales in first week. Although such blockbuster anime usually reserved for summer slot.
nnnnnnn

We gonna have to wait and see.

Celine

looking at how people in the west bought it despite it having mostly cross-gen games, we could start seeing the PS4 lineup as a good one, imho. yakuza, MGS V demo, and other Japanese games are there, even if multiplatform with PS3.
3DS and mobile are a different field, in any case, imho.
Well, we have just to wait for PS4/One figures after the holidays in the west and PS4/One figures in Japan after the first few weeks I suppose.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's about as bad as wii u. which saying something.

Why not both? If your still releasing mainline games on the handheld you might as well put some of the spin offs.

Some Japanese publishers seem decidedly done with non-mobile games outside of their biggest titles.

I mean even though Capcom's new game totally bombed, the idea there was to make a gigantic franchise.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
nnnnnnn

We gonna have to wait and see.

500k first week, drr what? An unproven game with a franchise whose popularity we don't know what level it will be at when it's drops selling that much.

That's crazy talk. One piece sells around 20 million per volume. Look at the sales of it's games. SaO is isn't even in remotely the same league. It's fan base may be per person more into merchandising but that's not gonna make up the difference.

Mecha

So with Inazuma declining, Danball possibly ending, and Gyrozetter/Gaist Crusher bombing, can we still expect more multimedia franchise attempts any time soon?

Slightly unrelated, but I fully expect Hero Bank to be the next victim.

allan-bh

It's funny people saying that Wii U bump is expected, but I have not seen any people saying before that expected 50k for the system this week.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Those comprehension skills.

Please tell me what I got wrong. You were replying to a poster who said "looks like Wii U will outsell Vita for Christmas" ??

Before that again was your prediction "that the vita would outsell wii u for the holidays"

To me bringing in the God Eater launch week now looks like classic goal post moving, but I could be wrong. Though that rarely happens :p

RM8

I hadn't realized Gaist Crusher's bomb-ness is not a good thing for future Capcom games on 3DS with their recent mobile interest :(

Mecha

I hadn't realized Gaist Crusher's bomb-ness is not a good thing for future Capcom games on 3DS with their recent mobile interest :(

I was hoping it would do well so they would reboot Battle Network, now it looks even more unlikely.

L Thammy

It's not their first bomb on the system either, they've already had E.X. Troopers and Revelations. This is just the bomb with the highest hopes (for some dumb reason).

On this note, how many upcoming 3DS games does Capcom have announced?

None, as far as I recall.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I'm expecting pretty much MH from them from now on.

Come on Bravely Second, keep the third party new IP Japanese hope alive. Also come on PDZ show the viability of traditional handheld ports. You can do it guys.

Top Bottom