• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2016 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
See, this is what I meant when I started off this year saying that, in Media Create, Nintendo fans would feel uncomfortable most of the year, but that'd transfer over to PlayStation fans in the Fall.
Uncomfortable...why ? I dont get it.

01./00. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 101,998 / NEW

And I would argue that Miitopia is a maybe a new IP, but builds up on previous entries plus Miitomo.

Im not disagreeing all im saying is first week sales for this type of games arent as defining as on more traditional software. Too soon to decide if it a flop or not and how or if this would impact a potential western release.

Fdkn

We could adapt our expectations to where the market is now and react properly, but those making fun of bombas would lose its entertainment.

For example, you've been talking for months about how FFXV would struggle to get 1million at retail, but then when it happened there was this massive over reacting about it like it was a surprise that noone saw coming.

We expected yakuza 6 to open around 200k, and it did. Huge bomba let's make fun of it too.

And for every hopeful member that talks about huge numbers for his favourite game, there's another doom&gloomer that predicts FFXV not reaching 500k LTD or something like that, so it's not like there's no room in the middle for a normal discussion about where the sales are in 2016.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On the plus side for Sega, despite the condition of the Japanese console market not being favourable towards their console titles, AM2's latest (First even?) mobile title Soul Reverse Zero has managed over a million downloads in less than a month after release and continues to beat expectations. For comparison their biggest mobile hit in Japan, Chain Chronicle, is about 5 million downloads and I think this is their first big hit in the mobile space since then.

https://www.segalization.com/2016/1...-zero-surpasses-1-million-downloads-in-japan/

There's the actual main game still coming out on arcade sometime next year. I wonder if this might be a plan deployed for future major arcade titles?

But that sells worse than Yakuza now.

Back to F-Zero!
The mobile spinoff of Border Break actually did quite well back in the day.

That said, in terms of especially notable mobile games, Sega had Hortensia Saga after Chain Chronicle.

Uncomfortable...why ? I dont get it.

Im not disagreeing all im saying is first week sales for this type of games arent as defining as on more traditional software. Too soon to decide if it a flop or not and how or if this would impact a potential western release.
The games selling worse than expected and people feeling the need to explain how "No, no, everything is actually fine and this looks positive, also consider ___________. You guys are all over reactionary haters."

Essentially, we're very likely to see a lot of publishers start changing their behavior in the not too distant future, and I don't think everyone is comfortable with that, and would have liked to imagine their favorite games wouldn't be impacted by macro trends... until they were.

Alrus

And for every hopeful member that talks about huge numbers for his favourite game, there's another doom&gloomer that predicts FFXV not reaching 500k LTD or something like that, so it's not like there's no room in the middle for a normal discussion about where the sales are in 2016.

The same fake argument was peddled last week and was proven fake. Check the prediction league.

Fdkn

The same fake argument was peddled last week and was proven fake. Check the prediction league.

A person does not need to participate in the prediction league to talk about the sales of the game at some moment in one of these threads. That's something that happened

Takao

Banned
Yikes. Maybe Puyo fans just don't want a non-mobile RPG? I wonder if they'll bother with Chronicle ports at all now too?

I don't think bombing at retail will hurt its chances of winding up on mobile.

If you mean other dedicated platforms, where would it go? Puyo Puyo Tetris didn't move a notable amount anywhere outside of 3DS and Chronicles will look low end on Switch.

Elandyll

Banned
Well despite PS4 software bombing all around (Japanese sw at least) the hw itself is doing better than people expected. Mixed bag for PS fans!
TLG actually did 'well', all things considered.

FFXV might be a slow burner (though it seems there's still tons of unsold copies in stores, which doesn't bode too well), but there's no denying the franchise itself has lost a ton of power imo.

I know it probably also relates to the state of things in Japan for home consoles, but why are some people fighting tooth and nails the idea that XIII possibly harmed the FF franchise quite a bit?

MacTag

Banned
I don't think bombing at retail will hurt its chances of winding up on mobile.

If you mean other dedicated platforms, where would it go? Puyo Puyo Tetris didn't move a notable amount anywhere outside of 3DS and Chronicles will look low end on Switch.
I figured Vita, PS4 and Switch late Q1. No one cares if Puyo looks low end.

hiska-kun

PS3 VS PS4
ps4_zpskhoznfmm.jpg

Next week, PS3 Slim enters the chart.

Pokemon Comparison
pokemon_zpsg3pbbone.jpg

Still neck to neck. Sun/Moon ~2.7M

saichi

I guesss with digital FFXV may reach 1 million
someday...

It's already there now with 30% digital ratio!
/s

Mario maker 3ds going to do over 500k on 3ds isnt it?

easily before this year. Question is if it will do a million.

Did you know that Persona 5 did a -85% in its second week ? Stop watching japanese numbers for the first time and overreact

while it's normal, that makes the first week sale number extremely important as there is no legs for JRPG games in Japan. And people were wishing to see legs for FFXV.

Well despite PS4 software bombing all around (Japanese sw at least) the hw itself is doing better than people expected. Mixed bag for PS fans!

you mean this week, right? cause for the year, I think it's performing as expected or even slightly worse than expected.

L~A

01./00. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 101,998 / NEW

And I would argue that Miitopia is a maybe a new IP, but builds up on previous entries plus Miitomo.

I don't have much more to say about Miitopia than what I said in first post (for now), but I wanted to comment on that Miitomo bit here and... Quite frankly, Miitomo is a total non-factor.

It couldn't possibly have any impact (either positive or negative), the game quickly lost steam and while I don't have any data on play retention (like Nintendo), it's clear the vast majority of the 10 million users have dropped it altogether (maybe occasionally coming back for a day or two with major updates).

Not to mention Miitopia isn't even directly advertised in Miitomo (other than that one loading screen mentioning), so even if it was still popular, Miitopia wouldn't really benefit from it.

Also, just wanted to point that one out:

13./16. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800) - 8.744 / 90.088 (+89%)

Yup, it's holiday period alright.

you mean this week, right? cause for the year, I think it's performing as expected or even slightly worse than expected.

It's going to sell about the same PS3 did during its best year. How is that slightly worse than expected? If I remember yearly predictions right there wasn't many people with over 1.5 million estimates for PS4.

MacTag

Banned
Speaking of not enough sales ... I'm sure those releases would go swimmingly.
Which is going to lose more, a new 250k Yakuza game or a 50k VF5 port?

Even if he doesn't go back to past hits like Daytona or Monkey Ball, it's becoming increasing clear Nagoshi needs to move on from Yakuza. And probably move on from consoles for that matter.

See, this is what I meant when I started off this year saying that, in Media Create, Nintendo fans would feel uncomfortable most of the year, but that'd transfer over to PlayStation fans in the Fall.

I don't think people really wanted to believe the direction things were going, or feel that it only applied to the "other things."

These days these threads are about making fun of excuses, and then turning around and digging up every excuse in the book.

I think a more accurate summary would be Japanese sales crashing, there clearly being areas that are unaccounted for in these threads coming into play such as overseas sales, digital sales, people abusing this fact by either gross extrapolation or attempting to undermine the fact by gross exaggeration.

Which is going to lose more, a new 250k Yakuza game or a 50k VF5 port?

Even if he doesn't go back to past hits like Daytona or Monkey Ball, it's becoming increasing clear Nagoshi needs to move on from Yakuza. And probably move on from consoles for that matter.

That's why they're targeting other markets. The rest of Asia is making up some of the lost sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

The general impression in here last year was that XV would collapse from XIII for a LTD close to 1m. That was expected and that happened.

What wasn't expected was the ordered shipment from retailers.

MacTag

Banned
The general impression in here last year was that XV would collapse from XIII for a LTD close to 1m. That was expected and that happened.

What wasn't expected was the shipment from retailers.
Last year we still had 1.5m ltd predictions, with some expecting other possible million sellers in DQXI, FFVIIR and even KH3.

Now reality is sinking in and it looks like PS4 might have 0 million sellers. Which would be a first for Sony.

Wow, that SMM hold. Hot hold.

TLG had a fairly positive opening. Good.

PS4 hardware looking nice.

These days these threads are about making fun of excuses.
When this started with "Japan is dead", I reached my limit lol. It is fine (but annoying) if there are jokes about digital, west, etc... Trying to downplay the impact the state of Japan has on everything we are seeing is nothing short of ridiculous though. It actually amazed me lol.

Console/IP warring > reality.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Last year we still had 1.5m ltd predictions, with some expecting other possible million sellers in DQXI, FFVIIR and even KH3.

Now reality is sinking in and it looks like PS4 might have 0 million sellers. Which would be a first for Sony.

I meant in 2016. I was on 1,5m board too in 2015.

Alrus

A person does not need to participate in the prediction league to talk about the sales of the game at some moment in one of these threads. That's something that happened

I don't recall any posts that seriously predicted Final Fantasy XV would do around 500k LTD.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Didn't Binary Domain kill Sega?

Anyway, still don't understand why Japanese people are buying nearly as many PS4s as they did PS3s if they are buying even fewer games.

Who says they are buying fewer games. PS3 software was bad in Japan.

Go_Ly_Dow

I blame that piece of turd called Yakuza of the End for the decline.

Yakuza + zombies + tanks, WHAT COULD GO WRONG!

How wrong we all were. :(

saichi

It's going to sell about the same PS3 did during its best year. How is that slightly worse than expected? If I remember yearly predictions right there wasn't many people with over 1.5 million estimates for PS4.

Are we in the same GAF forum? People were expecting this year to be better than last year and PS3's best year/beating 3DS in sales/over 2 million in Japan for the year.

There are still people onboard for this as of last week.

horuhe

For next week, no more than 15k for FFXV. That will put it down 800k. It will be very difficult to reach 900k even with digital sales.

Are we in the same GAF forum? People were expecting this year to be better than last year and PS3's best year/beating 3DS in sales/over 2 million in Japan for the year.

Sure if we go by the random console warriors. Pretty much no regular user in this thread expected it to sell anywhere near the best PS3 numbers.

Aki-at

Didn't Binary Domain kill Sega?

Anyway, still don't understand why Japanese people are buying nearly as many PS4s as they did PS3s if they are buying even fewer games.

Ironically it was RGG Studio best selling game in the Western markets too haha.

Rymuth

I blame that piece of turd called Yakuza of the End for the decline.

Yakuza + zombies + tanks, WHAT COULD GO WRONG!

How wrong we all were. :(
But I liked Yakuza of the End ._.

It had Ryuji Goda as a cook. Do you not see how amazing that is? Ryuji Goda. In an apron. Actually cooking. At a food stall!

How can you hate that??

Top Bottom