• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2012 (Jan 30 - Feb 05)

Mrbob

Ouch at Soul Calibur 5.

Also, are those numbers decent for Revelations? Looks like the game will struggle to hit 300k.

- ToIR dropped off but what does the previous charts say for the older Tales series? Isn't this right around normal sale rate or worse?
more than anything, it's disappointing compared to the more successful PSP entries. There's not much hope for Tales on any platform but the PS3 at this point in Japan. It's not Sony platforms that makes tales successful in Japan. It's more PS3 being a really strange anomaly.

weeaboo

Wait a second

12./00. [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online: Forward .3 Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.02.01} (¥6.090) - 9.047 / NEW

Fucking nippon, they LOVE Monster Hunter lol

gogogow

To be fair, SC was never truly a very popular IP in Japan. The best selling one was what, Soul Blade on the PSone, which sold 400k? Even Tobal NO.1 did better than that. It was never as popular as Tekken and/or Virtua Fighter which were million sellers back in the day.

To be fair, SC was never truly a very popular IP in Japan. The best selling one was what, Soul Blade on the PSone, which sold 400k? It was never as popular as Tekken and/or Virtua Fighter which were million sellers back in the day.
it's still a 50% decline or so.

I meant, I compared both titles for this week only. Obviously, MK7 will sell more on the long run. Outselling DQ:MJ would be a great achivement for MH and I do hope it lifts itself past the 1.7 M bar which would encourage the Japanese hardcore industry at focusing on the 3DS market.

I'm more thinking if it gets a best release this xmas then mh4 don't come out til next xmas it could quite easily do more like 2.7 million when all is said and done

I'm liking Rhythm Thief's legs.

Soul Bomba 5. I wonder if their attempt to "reboot" the franchise scared fans away.

RO did better then I expect (my guess was around 25k) but I'm not sure if it'll have the legs to get to 50k (which would be a success in my book).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Quite possibly, but that still doesn't make Japanese Market -> Worldwide logical, which is what I was complaining about.

From memory lately when a Beat Em Up had respectable sales in Japan or the opposite West followed the pattern except SSFIV that performed well in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Isn't PSP HW 142k YTD and PSV HW is 112k YTD?

Or am I missing something...

No, you're right. I was reasoning in terms of "trends", let's say.
First week of January was still a "holiday-based" week, with PSP normally seen as the cheaper and better supported Sony console for the "holiday market" (target age speaking).
We are now seeing in my opinion the shift from PSP to PS Vita for at least a (small) part of the audience.

Not that it means much with low sales anyway but comparing FFXIII to XIII-2

FFXIII Week 8 was around 3,500

FFXIII-2 Week 8 is around 5,000

XIII-2 is showing better legs, of course higher userbase and DLC is helping and it barely matters but a 17% drop isn't too bad.

Fair opening for Ragnarok Odyssey.
Fail opening for Soul Calibur V. I can agree on the fact that fighting games DO have market in the West, but it seems that this last entry on the franchise was not so anticipated globally.

Bruno MB

01./02. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 43.575 / 190.134 (-70%)

Decent hold, comfortably better than Resident Evil 5 and a little bit better than Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (-74%). Anyway, I think that it won't be considered a success unless it ends up comfortably selling over 300k units, better around 400k.

02./00. [PS3] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 34.328 / NEW
16./00. [360] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 7.679 / NEW

4. [PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 74,607 / NEW
6. [360] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 34,786 / NEW

Bad, terribly bad, though it was to be expected.

btw, I didn't remember that the 360 version of Soul Calibur IV did it that well.

04./00. [PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey <SLG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2012.02.02} (¥5.985) - 33.496 / NEW

I guess it is a nice debut.

11./09. [3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure <ACT> (Sega) {2012.01.19} (¥6.090) - 9.511 / 56.037 (-36%)

It is showing great legs so far.

13./10. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800) - 8.960 / 379.764 (-14%)

Its first shipment will be sold by the end of the month xD

14./03. [PSV] Tales of Innocence R <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.26} (¥5.980) - 8.397 / 63.250 (-85%)

Nothing unexpected, another example of Tales of Frontloadness.

NeonZ

The major things I'm taking from this:

- JESUS CHRIST SOUL CALIBUR V. After seeing the opening sales for IV, this is ultra-bomba sales. Why the large drop off in sales? Japan tired of SC?

SCIV, in addition to the Star Wars characters, had the marketing promotion with the manga artist guest designed characters. Add to that how SCV, character editor aside, seems to lack features for single player, and is getting panned for it, due to the series' previous tradition, and this result shouldn't be a surprise. They needed to show that this game would be bigger than IV, but failed to do it. It just seems like Namco didn't try to push this title very hard compared to the previous ones and the new Soul team had some misguided priorities outside of the core fighting system design.

Anyway, if the original Soul team was disbanded after SCIV's numbers, these even lower numbers aren't good for Soul Calibur's future.

gogogow

it's still a 50% decline or so.

It did, but so many games had a huge decline that it really isn't surprising seeing a moderate popular game to have a steep decline this generation. Virtua Fighter for example was a much more popular fighting game in Japan, but this generation it had a 80+ % in sales from 500+k to 100k. Tekken about 30% in decline.

My guess is that Ragnarok drops off the charts next week, and Gravity Daze opens at roughly 35K, and promptly disappears.

It's acceptable to infer patterns from a single occurence, right?

- 3DS numbers are doing great, who would have thought this a year ago after that botched launch?
- Resident Evil Revelations is doing horrible IMO. This is supposed to be a pretty big and nice game, unlike Mercenaries. I expected 600k+, but I think it'll only reach half of that.
- MH3G is doing great, much better than I expected and with legs like MH is known for. Won't get close to the 4.5+ they could have gotten on PSP, but it will pass 1.5 mil with ease. 2 million is not out of the question.
- Vita is doing horrible, no 2 ways about it. There's nothing in the horizon to save it either. I looked up the release list for Japan and there's Gravity Daze (bomb), Shinobido 2 (niche), NGS (bomba), Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012 (people will buy other versions). Other than these there's nothing that the Japanese folks would want to buy IMO.
- PS3 is doing great, all things considered, should be within 4 million of Wii by the end of the year. IIRC the gap was close to 7 million a couple of years back.
- Wii is doing horrible. Might actually be its last year as a relevant piece of HW in Japan. A price drop to Y14,980 or Y9,980 would help, but with the WiiU coming and Nintendo losing a lot of money this year in part due to the yen and in part due to them losing money on 3DS HW, I doubt they will do it anytime soon. They already "won" this generation anyways.
- PS2 finally dying and 360 is not that far behind in the dying category. Will be interesting to see whether PS2 can sell 40k this year and if 360 can sell 100k

Furoba

My guess is that Ragnarok drops off the charts next week, and Gravity Daze opens at roughly 35K, and promptly disappears.

It's acceptable to infer patterns from a single occurence, right?

If Gravity Daze lives up to the hype (?) I am sure it will sell at least 100K during the first few months.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Will ToIR outsell Abyss 3D's first-week before dropping off completely?

01. / 00. [3DS] Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco) {2011.06.30} - 74.173 / NEW

14./03. [PSV] Tales of Innocence R <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.26} (¥5.980) - 8.397 / 63.250 (-85%)

An epic head to head!

MH3G is doing great, much better than I expected and with legs like MH is known for. Won't get close to the 4.5+ they could have gotten on PSP, but it will pass 1.5 mil with ease. 2 million is not out of the question.

You think Tri G would have sold 4.5 million on PSP? Why?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
- Resident Evil Revelations is doing horrible IMO. This is supposed to be a pretty big and nice game, unlike Mercenaries. I expected 600k+, but I think it'll only reach half of that.

Just my opinion: ReR is 3x better than Mercs. And it's selling at the same ratio :p

02. / 01. [3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom) {2011.06.02} - 15,551/ 74,343 (-74%)
01./02. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 43.575 / 190.134 (-70%)

Kenka

I'm liking Rhythm Thief's legs.

Soul Bomba 5. I wonder if their attempt to "reboot" the franchise scared fans away.

RO did better then I expect (my guess was around 25k) but I'm not sure if it'll have the legs to get to 50k (which would be a success in my book).
I personally prefer "Bomba Calibur".
No idea GAF how RE:R would eventually sell above 500k ? It definitely deserves it.

- 3DS numbers are doing great, who would have thought this a year ago after that botched launch?
- MH3G is doing great, much better than I expected and with legs like MH is known for. Won't get close to the 4.5+ they could have gotten on PSP, but it will pass 1.5 mil with ease. 2 million is not out of the question.
- Vita is doing horrible, no 2 ways about it. There's nothing in the horizon to save it either. I looked up the release list for Japan and there's Gravity Daze (bomb), Shinobido 2 (niche), NGS (bomba), Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012 (people will buy other versions). Other than these there's nothing that the Japanese folks would want to buy IMO.
- PS3 is doing great, all things considered, should be within 4 million of Wii by the end of the year. IIRC the gap was close to 7 million a couple of years back.
- Wii is doing horrible. Might actually be its last year as a relevant piece of HW in Japan. A price drop to Y14,980 or Y9,980 would help, but with the WiiU coming and Nintendo losing a lot of money this year in part due to the yen and in part due to them losing money on 3DS HW, I doubt they will do it anytime soon. They already "won" this generation anyways.
- PS2 finally dying and 360 is not that far behind in the dying category. Will be interesting to see whether PS2 can sell 40k this year and if 360 can sell 100k

600k for revelations? What planet are you on and can you please stay there

Road

Not that it means much with low sales anyway but comparing FFXIII to XIII-2

FFXIII Week 8 was around 3,500

FFXIII-2 Week 8 is around 5,000

XIII-2 is showing better legs, of course higher userbase and DLC is helping and it barely matters but a 17% drop isn't too bad.
Then we realize there are still 70000 copies of XIII-2 that were shipped first week sitting in stores.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Where did you see that? It's not even a far possilitty if you think last year was the first PS3 outsold Wii.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No idea GAF how RE:R would eventually sell above 500k ? It definitely deserves it.

I'm loving the game, really.
That said: I've always foreseen 300K as a good target for the first real portable iteration of this franchise. The most important thing in my opinion is to reach a target that can assure ALSO very good portable iterations for for the brand. And in my opinion the 300k mark could be the right one.

Let's wait and see how it will end (looking at the sell-through and to the Mercs resulst could be able to do that)

Was RE:R more expensive in Japan like it was in the US originally? I know the $50 price point scared away prospective buyers, added to the fact that everyone pretty much says "you need CPP" to play this game, the fact it's still holding firm is a good sign.

Was RE:R more expensive in Japan like it was in the US originally? I know the $50 price point scared away prospective buyers, added to the fact that everyone pretty much says "you need CPP" to play this game, the fact it's still holding firm is a good sign.

No just standard price, it was only America that was gonna get ripped off

Revelations had better have some nice legs. I want this game to be a hit so bad, but I don't have a 3DS yet...
For SCIV and SCV comparison:

[PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 74,607 / NEW
[360] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 34,786 / NEW

[PS3] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 34.328 / NEW
[360] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 7.679 / NEW
SCV's numbers are even worse than BlazBlue CT's numbers which were lower than CS. Damn, that is pretty freaking bad. I guess Japan likes 2D and lots of single player content?

Kazerei

Banned
Slow week all around. I'm surprised RE Revelaitons managed to hold on to #1. Soul Calibur V is at #2, yet a 40k open is actually kind of terrible. Every thing else ... meh.

EDIT: Oh, I guess Ragnarok Odyssey did okay. And Mario Kart Wii still hanging in the top 20 :lol

one_piece_boxart_mistake.jpg

Further stresses how they failed this week.

Bwahahahaha!

Rolf NB

I propose the term Soul Calibomba.
What is 'YTD' and 'LTD' on the hardware charts?
I'm trying to get into all of this sales-age.
Year to date. Sum of sales for the running calendar year.
Life to date. Sum of sales since the system's launch.

Happy for the 3DS sales numbers. It's a good system, just took longer than anticipated for it to go and take off. Hopefully we'll see some more software developed for it.

Ugh @ SCV numbers, I'm enjoying the game but with numbers like that I don't think there'll be a VI....anyone have the US numbers?

Pachimari

Year-to-date (sales since the start of the year)

Life-to-date (sales since its launch)

But I don't get it,sorry if I'm being dumb, but then PlayStation Vita has sold 112k since the start of the year, but it launched in December. And 500k since launch.

Oh: So it has sold 112k units since the start of 2012, but since December and until now it's 500k. I think I got it.

Top Bottom