• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2014 (Jan 27 - Feb 02)

SmokyDave

Famitsu.png

Beautiful, man. Just beautiful.

duckroll

Yes, but most systems go into a natural decline at some point. And I don't know if what we see is anything more than that, is what I mean

If it's in natural decline, than it means the audience is saturating. Which is what people were talking about.

How did they ship 150k if the game sold 26k and 60-80% FW? The math doesn't add up.

No, you are right. Amagami is a new release for Vita and had a 60-80% sell-through.

I don't know what's that talk about 150-300k.

Ow shit, I misread, forget what I said above, sorry.

I am confused. o_O

Sorry my bad. Misread some earlier articles. 150K is their "Target" number of copies sold. I gotta study the Japanese language more.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, as has been said, Wii U won't do jack squat with no games. Nintendo was apparently full of shit when they acknowledged the early 2013 drought was bad and that they were going to rectify the situation moving forward. And no, delaying DKCTF into 2014 just so that they'd have "a game" in Q1 doesn't count. That's cheating.

Famitsu.png

Beautiful, man. Just beautiful.

image.php

Bruno MB

Youkai Watch sales stats

Source: Famitsu

Code:
July, 2013

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 101.136 / NEW

August, 2013

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 54.884 / 156.020 (-46%)

September, 2013

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 37.493 / 193.513 (-32%) 

October, 2013

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 17.359 / 210.872 (-54%) 

November, 2013

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 11.988 / 222.860 (-31%)

December, 2013

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 63.593  / 286.453 (+430%)

January, 2014

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 60.586 / 347.039 (-5%) 

February, 2014 

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 28.423 / 375.462

3 biggest weeks:

Week 1 - 52.901
Week 2 - 28.707
Week 30 - 28.423

Digital sales:

September, 2013 - 1.175
October, 2013 - 914 
December, 2013 - 2.206

[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 375.462
[3DS] Youkai Watch (Digital sales) <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 4.295

Total - 379.757

SmokyDave

Two new games and still a decline. Beast mode!

Statistical noise. If you want to see decline, look at the YoY figures for, well, everything but the Vita.

This confirms that "at least it's over last year's YTD" is the new "at least it's over 10k" denial that Vita fans desperately hold on to. A psychological barrier in other words, to try to hide that it still sells horrible overall.
Remember in Theme Park where you'd whack up the salt levels in the fries, so everyone got thirsty?

You're making everyone thirsty.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retail release for Wii Fit U was very anemic. It barely doubled last week's sales.

21./00. [WIU] Wii Fit U # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.02.01} (¥5.985) - 6.560 / 86.796 <40-60%> (+126%)

Frillen

PSV Week 5 2014 - 22.246 (MC)

PSV Week 5 2013 - 9.596 (MC)
PSV Week 5 2013 - 8.266 (F)

2013 hashtag: #Champion.
2014 hashtag: #20V1T4.

This confirms that "at least it's over last year's YTD" is the new "at least it's over 10k" denial that Vita fans desperately hold on to. A psychological barrier in other words, to try to hide that it still sells horrible overall.

Dat Vita, and it will only get better with the amazing third party support incoming, you done good Sorny.

I still don't know if your posts in these threads are joke posts or not.

duckroll

Youkai Watch sales stats

Source: Famitsu

Yeah the anime definitely helped the game a lot. The interesting thing though, is the really low digital sales. I think it's a good sign that the audience buying the game might be younger, and hence more likely to just get a game in a store, or ask their parents to get it, rather than buying it on the eShop.

Mr Swine

Banned

I still don't know if your posts in these threads are joke posts or not.

I think Kardinski and Dave are both delusional Vita fans that will say anything :p

Without a steady flow of games the Wii U will continue to drop. It's why the Vita has stayed stable in recent weeks. Congrats to it. If this keeps up and more stuff is localized I might finally buy one. I just wish the situation with Phantasy Star wasn't the way it was. I just don't believe Nintendo can even address this at this point. Donkey Kong is not going to perform how they expect. It always comes back to games. Enough of them and the type of games people want to play and be willing to spend money on in the first place.

Agreed.

Ofc DK is going to boost HW for a little bit, but I wouldn't personally expect any real bump until MK8 release in May.

I admit I'm glad WiiFit U bombed so hard...
Now I hope they will take the good lessons.

thinks about the mysterious QOL platform

I am afraid.

test_account

XP-39C²
I doubt that there is any denial going on. The numbers speak for themself, at least it should for those who have been following the Media Create numbers for years (which i know that SmokeyDave has). What matters the most is that the Vita isnt going to be canceled any time soon in Japan, like there were several discussions about before. The "beastmode" and "#champion" are just humour ways to say that the Vita is selling better than it did =)

Sorry my bad. Misread some earlier articles. 150K is their "Target" number of copies sold. I gotta study the Japanese language more.

No problem. A 60-80% sell-through looks very good to me. I don't expect PS2 ports of niche games to do big numbers on the Vita but I have no idea how high the expectations are, from the publishers side, for these kind of games. 150k as target is wishful thinking, far away from reality, if true.

Yeah, as has been said, Wii U won't do jack squat with no games. Nintendo was apparently full of shit when they acknowledged the early 2013 drought was bad and that they were going to rectify the situation moving forward. And no, delaying DKCTF into 2014 just so that they'd have "a game" in Q1 doesn't count. That's cheating.

Well, it's incredibly hard for Iwata to admit, but without third party support, droughts can not be avoided.
But, given the Q and A for investor meeting, it seems they feel that last year drought was not such a big thing.
But it is a bit off-topic...

Frillen

Statistical noise. If you want to see decline, look at the YoY figures for, well, everything but the Vita.

Remember in Theme Park where you'd whack up the salt levels in the fries, so everyone got thirsty?

You're making everyone thirsty.
Says someone who erases the 3DS from the chart. Lack of respect, denial and salty, all in one.

DaBoss

I mean permanently. I'm sure noone expected Wii and PS3 would be in this position 5 years ago.
Late 2015 or 2016.

I'm assuming they will release the 2DS this year along with a price drop and the Vita continues to get support like it is and maintain this trend.

I really thought Youkai watch would fizzle away before the anime and would have chalked it up to another Level-5 franchise mismanagement but it has actually prolonged its legs and given it a new lease of life a la Inazuma Eleven. Now to wait for Level-5 to milk it to death...

Late 2015 or 2016.

I'm assuming they will release the 2DS this year along with a price drop and the Vita continues to get support like it is and maintain this trend.

That's how I see it, and by then the 3DS would probably have a successor out so it wouldn't really mean much. It'll probably be analogous to the DS/PSP situation where the PSP only really got a permanent weekly lead from 2011 onwards (though it came close to the DS in both 2008 and 2010 --surpassing it even in 2010 according to Media Create) .

Says someone who erases the 3DS from the chart. Lack of respect, denial and salty, all in one.
You might be taking SmokyDave a little too seriously :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If it's in natural decline, than it means the audience is saturating. Which is what people were talking about.

That's fine. But if it follows more or less the same trends as the DS and all their other handheld systems, should that be "causing alarm bells to ring" and worry, or should we assume that Nintendo should naturally be prepared for this (even though we are talking about Nintendo here...), and that we should expect their next system within a couple of years?

Because, looking at consolidated sales, it seems to me a decline in the 4th fiscal year seem to be the norm.

duckroll

That's fine. But if it follows more or less the same trends as the DS and all their other handheld systems, should that be "causing alarm bells to ring" and worry, or should we assume that Nintendo should naturally be prepared for this (even though we are talking about Nintendo here...), and that we should expect their next system within a couple of years?

Because, looking at consolidated sales, it seems to me a decline in the 4th fiscal year seem to be the norm.

If it is already following the same trend then it shows that the market for Nintendo is shrinking. By the fourth year, the DS already sold about 3 times what the 3DS did so far. So if we agree that the 3DS is following on the same overall trend but on a much lower level, then the concern is obviously that Nintendo is declining across all areas. Their portable business is what is driving the company now, with the WiiU being a complete disaster. Since even that is declining, don't you think alarm bells should be ringing for the company?

Takao

Banned
Disgaea ports on handhelds:

[PSP] Disgaea Portable - 18.732 / 115.645
[NDS] Disgaea DS - 13.991 / 31.591
[PSP] Disgaea 2 Portable - 38.634 / 101.812
[PSV] Disgaea 3 Returns - 22.453 / 65.441
[PSV] Disgaea 4 Returns - 33.749 / NEW

Its in fully dying franchise mode after they yanked Kai off-air without closing out the series. This game would probably have achieved better were it released at the same time as the new movie, but its just been released at a bizarre time "HEY WHO WANTS ANOTHER DBZ GAME?!"

Dragon Ball home console game sales have never been good on PS3 in Japan. In fact, the best selling game on PS3 was Burst Limit, and that was before Kai. During Kai's broadcast, Dragon Ball merchandise sales actually declined in Japan.

But hey, it looks like Kai will be back this Spring as Toriko gets canned.

Tripon

Lol. Anyone who thought that WiiU Fit would have any impact should.... become the CEO of Nintendo. Looooooooool. :D

To be fair, Nintendo's actions shown they didn't think it was a big seller. There's a reason why they constantly delayed it, and the bundle they did have with Wii Fit U cost 2000 yen more than the other bundles Nintendo was pushing. If Nintendo really thought Wii Fit U was a system seller, they went though an odd process to do it.

Tripon

Its just SmokyDave Schick. He wants to get a rise out of people, let him have his fun.

I think its pretty clear that market for the OG 3DS is saturated. A refresh is definitely needed.

SmokyDave

'Lack of respect' got me good, man.

Its just SmokyDave Schick. He wants to get a rise out of people, let him have his fun.
Though I may possibly be mildly prone to slight minor embellishment, I think it's important to note that the Vita is on a clear upwards trajectory (2014 > 2013 > 2012 > 2011), and that it's about to enter a fairly 'busy' period for software releases. This is happening at the same time as the overbearing competition enters an evident and precipitous decline. Things are genuinely looking up for the plucky champion that simply won't be knocked down.

#20V1T4.

Disgaea ports on handhelds:

[PSP] Disgaea Portable - 18.732 / 115.645
[NDS] Disgaea DS - 13.991 / 31.591
[PSP] Disgaea 2 Portable - 38.634 / 101.812
[PSV] Disgaea 3 Returns - 22.453 / 65.441
[PSV] Disgaea 4 Returns - 33.749 / NEW

That improvement. The mark of a true #champion #20V1T4 :p

turnbuckle

I doubt that there is any denial going on. The numbers speak for themself, at least it should for those who have been following the Media Create numbers for years (which i know that SmokeyDave has). What matters the most is that the Vita isnt going to be canceled any time soon in Japan, like there were several discussions about before. The "beastmode" and "#champion" are just humour ways to say that the Vita is selling better than it did =)

Yup.

Now if we could only get it to start selling better in the US. The wider the gap in hardware between the two territories the greater the number of games I want to play that never get translated :(

#20V1T4.

Top Bottom