• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even with these bumps I just don't see how WiiU can be turned around in Japan. 3DS gets all japanese heavy hitters, Vita gets niche otaku games and PS4 will get the big franchises that sell also in west. Then we have Nintendo that has showed that it has some major problems with HD development. After Smash bros and Mario Kart what is left that could move systems?

3rd party 3DS up ports would be the best bet if they can get them that is. It's pretty much how the Vita survived.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kinda shows the benefit of developing your IP's on smartphones. I feel like this is something most major devs aren't taking advantage of including nintendo. You don't have to release full games to take advantage of it either.
Good point.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but ND has never been about the "future", but about games that are about to be released in the coming months. So, no Fall 2014 games etc. The ND of today will most likely be about DKCTF and maybe MK8 for the Wii U and 3DS games.
Nintendo did have that big WiiU blowout on Nintendo Direct many months ago, where they announced many upcoming WiiU games (like X, a new Yoshi game and Fire Emblem VS Shin Megami Tensei). Its not usual that they do this in Nintendo Direct though, but it has happened.

gogogow

Found it boring as fuck. Played for some days. The IAP bullshit and stamina system is... ugh.

Boring or not, opinions differ. And I actually think PAD has a pretty good microtransactions system in place. You don't have to buy any diamonds at all to enjoy the game unlike other mobile games. There's the stamina system, but it's also not a game where you spend hours and hours playing the game. And even then, they give you plenty of extra diamonds. If you really need to play you can always replenish your stamina with diamonds.

gogogow

Huh, I really enjoy it. It's a clever twist on the usual match 3. Still, diff'rent strokes and all that.

I think Sony are fucking bonkers for letting it go to 3DS. Well, assuming they had any say in it, which they probably didn't.

I really thought it was going to Vita, was there some kind of rumour or sth? Don't really remember anymore.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but ND has never been about the "future", but about games that are about to be released in the coming months. So, no Fall 2014 games etc. The ND of today will most likely be about DKCTF and maybe MK8 for the Wii U and 3DS games.

Nope, their last January Direct showed off games coming later in the year, and games still to be released even today.

Even showing owners that the first half of 2014 - through to the end of Spring, at least - is going to be a more satisfying proposition than the first half of 2013 goes some way toward what I'm hoping for.

Ratrat

Maybe we'll see a mobile to 3DS trend? Very good P&D numbers, though expected.

Wii U is good but it'll just make the inevitable drop off that much more painful.

Now to Spring 2014 titles though.

If they only have DKCTF and MK8 during that time period...

Maedhros

Boring or not, opinions differ. And I actually think PAD has a pretty good microtransactions system in place. You don't have to buy any diamonds at all to enjoy the game unlike other mobile games. There's the stamina system, but it's also not a game where you spend hours and hours playing the game. And even then, they give you plenty of extra diamonds. If you really need to play you can always replenish your stamina with diamonds.

Dunno, I found the IAP just as abusive as many other hated smartphones games around here.

The idea behind the game was sound though. Maybe the 3DS version is actually better than the smartphone one.

urfe

Wii U as a failure is unprecedented, so I find it strange people can say this sudden rise is merely a holiday blip with confidence when the console is really bringing us into uncharted territory.

I think there's a good chance it continues to sell (relatively) well after Christmas.

Lexxism

LM2 so close to a million. Do we have a list of current 3DS million sellers in JPN only for comparisons sake?

3DS currently have 9 million seller in JP.
DiQ6sLo.png

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man... Puzzle and Dragon + 3DS is just like a one-two punch towards Sony, isn't it.

Glad to see everything that matters from 3DS to WiiU to Vita all enjoy a raise though, even if the latter is not that significant but still!

redcrayon

Maybe we'll see a mobile to 3DS trend? Very good P&D numbers, though expected.
I don't know, it's a pretty good crossover between the appeal in this specific case- match 3, short burst gameplay works well on mobile, cute RPGs with dungeons work well on 3DS.

I agree with what AdventureRacing said upthread- the best example it gives is of using the mobile market as a low-risk testing ground for new ideas that you can then continue to develop both there and on other platforms. P&D is a very rare example of a breakout hit.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo holiday bump in action :)

Puzzle & Dragons had a great opening week! Wii U numbers on the rise but 3DS a little low; hopefully 5million by year-end is reachable.

On a side note, I'm glad Super Mario 3DWorld is selling steadily - the game is a gem.

Fuck Monster Hunter. Fuck Pokemon. P&D is the king of Japanese gaming now. It's unbelievably huge. Sadly P&D US never gets the same treatment.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii U as a failure is unprecedented, so I find it strange people can say this sudden rise is merely a holiday blip with confidence when the console is really bringing us into uncharted territory.

I think there's a good chance it continues to sell (relatively) well after Christmas.
It really depends on what games it will have. It needs new games to keep the momentum going, especially in non-holiday times.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What is causing the Wii u bump? Is it just the holiday? Nintendo always gets a bump but usually there's software.
Mario there has a pretty large attach rate of around 60-70%.

I imagine most of this is getting gift wrapped so the lack of a huge software bump isn't too surprising given it won't be played for a few weeks.

wrowa

Nope, their last January Direct showed off games coming later in the year, and games still to be released even today.

Even showing owners that the first half of 2014 - through to the end of Spring, at least - is going to be a more satisfying proposition than the first half of 2013 goes some way toward what I'm hoping for.

Last January's Direct was announced as a special Direct looking at future Wii U games, though. This time around it's just your normal "Let's look at the line-up of the next three months."

SmokyDave

Dunno, I found the IAP just as abusive as many other hated smartphones games around here.

The idea behind the game was sound though. Maybe the 3DS version is actually better than the smartphone one.
I play it daily and I haven't paid a penny. I very rarely run out of stamina, and if I do I've always got magic stones to hand anyway. Stamina replenishes in full when you level up too which always seems to happen just when I want it to. I've played much, much worse as far as IAP goes.

I don't know if I'm getting lucky because I log in every day (which gets you bonuses), but I've never felt the need to open my wallet.

Software sells hardware. We will get the answer to your question in 33 minutes. ;)
Yet the PS4 broke all kinds of records on the back of... Killzone?

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 35.660 / 3.206.695 <80-100%> (+39%)
[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.980) - 17.661 / 136.950 <40-60%> (+13%)
[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 14.650 / 47.911 <20-40%> (+83%)
[3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 10.385 / 244.456 <80-100%>

iEp4I2QASssvc.gif

The power of the little plumber is still strong !

Lol at my prediction of WiiU outselling 3DS ;-).

3DS can now outsell last years total but just ?.

Some Nobody

I think software moves hardware. So depending on how Japan feels about DKC and MK8, that will probably help them keep momentum going.

The REAL question is what's happening Stateside and in Europe.

urfe

The Wii U software discrepancy between MC and Famitsu is quite strange.

Famitsu includes bundled games, Media Create doesn't.

Wii Party U and NSMBU are bundled with the Wii U.

edit: beaten :(

edit2:

I think software moves hardware. So depending on how Japan feels about DKC and MK8, that will probably help them keep momentum going.

The REAL question is what's happening Stateside and in Europe.

This is an unconventional opinion, but I think the software is already there, and what the Wii U needs is marketing good word of mouth. When I'm at the store these days, there's kids showing their parents the system, and it looks like marketing has got kids bringing their parents down, and all that.

Seriously, the Wii U bundle plus 3D World is all most families will need for years, no?

Top Bottom