• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

NotLiquid

Holiday bump or not I'm surprised to see Wii U on the rise by such an amount, especially since it seemed like 3D World did nothing. And now it's climbing too.

I hope the U can find a good baseline after holidays.

Honestly, Vita and 3DS sales are the most disappointing. 3DS seems like it has reached a peak in Japan until a big pricecut (2DS?) comes along. And Vita. For it's mediocre regular week sales it is barely getting a holiday bump at all. Wii U is doing great , but unfortunately in Japan 1 game is not enough for a consistent turnaround. Once 3D World plateaus and the holidays are over it will be back to sub 10k soon with the complete lack of software in Japan

Holiday bump or not I'm surprised to see Wii U on the rise by such an amount, especially since it seemed like 3D World did nothing. And now it's climbing too.

I hope the U can find a good baseline after holidays.

It won't, but it probably won't fall back to 5k as fast as people thought either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is not in any way to suggest a PS3 style recovery in Japan is likely, or even possible, and I fully acknowledge there are significant factors making that nearly impossible, but if you project out Wii U sales the next 3 weeks, they could be about 150K behind PS3 after its second full holiday*

I guess my only real point is that the first year Wii U sales, while terrible, aren't quite as bad in Japan as elsewhere and I think a GCN LTD is very achievable.

*The comparison isn't exact week to week because PS3 launched earlier in the year

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Honestly, Vita and 3DS sales are the most disappointing. 3DS seems like it has reached a peak in Japan until a big pricecut (2DS?) comes along. And Vita. For it's mediocre regular week sales it is barely getting a holiday bump at all. Wii U is doing great , but unfortunately in Japan 1 game is not enough for a consistent turnaround. Once 3D World plateaus and the holidays are over it will be back to sub 10k soon with the complete lack of software in Japan

It won't, but it probably won't fall back to 5k as fast as people thought either.

I admit I would have liked to see 3DS doing more (200-220k this week). It's still very, very strong, but it's not as strong as last year. It should be near that 5 millions YTD target, however (with no new hardware iteration). And I suppose next year will be the time for 2DS / price-cuts. 2DS at 12,000 Yen could be a serious crack in Japan, given how the console is loved over there. Think just about the Pokémon 2DS bundles being released in Japan.

The audience buying Vita now is not the one that goes all out during Holidays, so it's expected to see the console not receiving great boosts from Holidays. It's still mediocre, but it could be far, far worse: Sony obtained to "save" Vita, after all (last year was too horrifying).

Celine

I'm confused. Did anyone expect a 3DS title to debut above 500k this week lol? 500k?
Those who follow sales-age in general and MC thread in specific sure did expected a very big opening for P&DZ.

Those who follow only casually probably don't even know what P&D is.

Those who follow sales-age in general and MC thread in specific sure did expected a very big opening for P&DZ.

Those who follow only casually probably don't even know what P&D is.

Comgnet points hinted towards some number above 400K...so a 500K opening wasn't all that surprising.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is not in any way to suggest a PS3 style recovery in Japan is likely, or even possible, and I fully acknowledge there are significant factors making that nearly impossible, but if you project out Wii U sales the next 3 weeks, they could be about 150K behind PS3 after its second full holiday*

I guess my only real point is that the first year Wii U sales, while terrible, aren't quite as bad in Japan as elsewhere and I think a GCN LTD is very achievable.

*The comparison isn't exact week to week because PS3 launched earlier in the year
It also has a shot at beating PS3 YTD, which would already be... something.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sorry for the dumb question, but weeks 51/52 are bigger than this week in Japan then?

Afaik, week 51 is, week 52 isn't. Week 1 is higher again, but usually not for Nintendo (for Sony, though).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It also has a shot at beating PS3 YTD, which would already be... something.

If Wii U did this, Nintendo could at least claim they had the best selling home console of the year in one region. Something that won't happen in a long time from then on.

FF X/X-2 HD will give the VITA the bump it deserves :D

Nice sales all around. Wii U got a big Nintendo holiday boost. PDZ sold really well but honestly, i was expecting a bit more. Still great sales for a IP that had its home in smartphones.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If Wii U did this, Nintendo could at least claim they had the best selling home console of the year in one region. Something that won't happen in a long time from then on.
Could still happen next year in Japan with Mario Kart and Smash.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Depends on how the PS4 Japan launch. Considering how little Sony cares for the region I'm honestly expected a close race with the wii u may be able to beat it (PS4's 2014 schedule in Japan is that bad.)

cafemomo

>those vita numbers
iDXE4coSchB0b.gif

schuelma

I was thinking the same thing, Vita is up sharply year over year for the comparable week. Wii U is perhaps slightly skewed as it was the week after launch.

Vita's Week 50 last year was probably the worst selling week 50 for any console in the last 20 years not made by Microsoft. To double that number doesn't mean very much.

schuelma

I just notice that too. Very very weird. I had no idea PS3 was selling so bad.

PS3 got off to an incredibly bad start in Japan. Took a long time to reduce the price and get a steady stream of 3rd party content.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
PS3 got off to an incredibly bad start in Japan. Took a long time to reduce the price and get a steady stream of 3rd party content.

Pretty much the Wii U has little chance of reversing its fortune - the Wii U doesn't have a price problem right now and the 3rd party games aren't going to come.

Mpl90

Now that I think about it, right now Wii U has a better Musou than PS4 in terms of selling potential. Things will surely change next year, but still :lol

AniHawk

absolutely baffled at the wii u turnaround. the gamecube didn't increase like this during the holidays when times were tough.

3ds might not hit 5m for the year. damn, it fell behind 2012 and i didn't see that coming at all. 2ds may help boost hardware sales and interest in 2014, but i think their main sellers are spent. i'm guessing 4m in 2014 for the 3ds (which would still make lifetime sales somewhere between 22-25m before all's said and done).

luigi's mansion 2 should hit 1m sometime in january. what a sleeper hit that turned out to be.

schuelma

Pretty much the Wii U has little chance of reversing its fortune - the Wii U doesn't have a price problem right now and the 3rd party games aren't going to come.

It isn't going to come close to a PS3 revival, but I think this month is showing there is still interest in the platform.

L Thammy

Now that I think about it, right now Wii U has a better Musou than PS4 in terms of selling potential. Things will surely change next year, but still :lol

New Musou series tend to do very well, but I would imagine that Zelda's the weakest IP (in Japan) that they've attached a new series to.

Aren't mousu games still pretty popular in Japan? You're usually reasonably cynical but this seems pretty far off

Yes and no. They don't do nearly what they did in the PS2 era. When they announced the new tie-in series (Gundam, Fist of the North Star, and One Piece), but I think Gundam is the only Musou series that isn't slowly shrinking.

Mpl90

New Musou series tend to do very well, but I would imagine that Zelda's the weakest IP (in Japan) that they've attached a new series to.

Well, my sentence was more a reference to how weak is, saleswise, DW8: XL for PS4, being a late porting of the expansion, than to how strong can be Zelda Musou. XD

Haines

Banned
Good for WiiU, but I sure hope Nintendo finds away to keep the sales rolling...cuz if they lose ANY steam they are boned..

Pain

Banned
Vita is still selling pretty bad but it is a sustainable platform for 3rd parties now. I'd like to think that the baseline can only keep increasing but Sony has already done a redesign and Vita TV and a price cut. They need to really bring it with the games.

Frodo

Hopefully word of mouth will have some effect on Wii U's sales from January. SM3DW is an amazing game and maybe it will get people excited about the console, and then, hopefully it can keep some momentum going, instead of plummeting to sub 10k a week. Fingers crossed.

And also, if the sales keep growing it stands a chance of passing PS3's YTD. Which is not much of a achievement, but..

guek

Banned
This is a bit out of date, but it fluctuates a lot depending on series, time period, and platform: http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?t...d1=&sltd2=&gameid=&orderby=&res1=&res2=&opt=1

Back in the PS2 era the games sometimes topped one million.

The only one on the Wii U there is at 6000 units.

I wasn't suggesting they're mega his but they do tend to still preform solidly, especially franchise collaborations. Orochi 3 doesn't really seem like a fair rubric but maybe I'm wrong

Frodo

So, didn't Iwata say in the Japanese Direct that Luigi's Mansion 2 surpassed 1 million sales?

Good for them.

Top Bottom