• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2013 (Dec 09 - Dec 15)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I know the WIi U numbers aren't mind blowing or anything, but as a fan it is nice to know that there are 70,000 more Wii Us out in homes for people to enjoy!
Hopefully with Wii U games being so focused on local multiplayer, it will have a lot of exposure beyond current owners. Titles like Mario 3D World and Wii Party U are ones you want to play with friends. It could create a viral effect and spread the momentum.

mstevens

Hopefully with Wii U games being so focused on local multiplayer, it will have a lot of exposure beyond current owners. Titles like Mario 3D World and Wii Party U are ones you want to play with friends. It could create a viral effect and spread the momentum.

It has definitely worked (at least as far as visibility) on my immediate family and friends.

Fisico

800k? I thought it sold less than Tales of Xillia, didn't that one sell over 600k?

Tales of Xillia had a better first week of sales than FFXIII-2, but the latter had a bigger shipment with many copies sold through the bargain bin.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
They haven't mishandled the IP. The Ip still sells 10 million+, GT5 (if prologue is included) is the second best selling iteration. What is evident is the massive decline of the series in Japan due to the market just disappearing. It seems Japan is no longer into sim racers or even racing (Ridge racer decline).

Maybe GT7 will invigorate sales but right now I have zero faith it will do such a thing.

Japan will be the territory with the softer decline for GT6 from GT5. At what country is it setting the charts on fire?

Ridge Racer is bombing everywhere, not only there.

And I don't get this continued sum of GT5 and GT5:p sales. Did different people buy the 2 versions?

Bruno MB

06./09. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 60.318 / 245.889 <60-80%> (+53%)

Four week of sales (half of them during December) and despite showing good legs thanks to holiday season it still hasn't matched Super Mario Sunshine opening. At least it is on path to cross half a million units, something that wasn't a lock when it was released. By the way, I wouldn't say Super Mario 3D World is helping too much to lift Wii U hardware sales, New Super Mario Bros. U + Wii Party U bundle is doing most of the work. In fact, Super Mario 3D World is the beneficiary.

[N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) {1996.06.23} - 45.665 / 393.546
[NDS] Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo) {2004.12.02} - 125.360 / 366.603
[GCN] Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) {2002.07.19} - 39.562 / 482.723
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) {2007.11.01} - 37.484 / 415.491
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) {2010.05.27} - 49.304 / 574.829
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} - 57.465 / 542.842
[WIU] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} - 60.318 / 245.889

07./01. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 # <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.05} (¥6.980) - 49.991 / 237.631 <60-80%> (-73%)

Dead.

[PSX] Gran Turismo (Sony Computer Entertainment) {1997.12.23} - 129.731 / 778.381
[PSX] Gran Turismo 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {1999.12.11} - 261.741 / 1.010.321
[PS2] Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2001.04.28} - 262.941 / 731.332
[PS2] Gran Turismo 4 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2004.12.28} - 160.573 / 824.116
[PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2010.11.25} - 68.116 / 478.602
[PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.05} - 49.991 / 237.631

Celine

Has the bar for the vita dropped so low that current sales during holiday season are considered as good?
This holiday Vita sales are amazing compared to last year:

Code:
     2012       2013
48-  9,830    27,768 	
49-  10,348   28,253
50-  13,590   34,993
51-  19,056
52-  18,022

FWIW a recent press release by GungHo pegs PAD at 22m downloads in Japan and 25m worldwide. They've definitely slowed down in new player acquisition (earlier in the year they were gaining 1m new users per WEEK) and I believe their revenue from the game fell for the first time in a recent monthly earnings report. They picked a great time to release PAD Z.

Steel

Banned
Surely the bar needs to be raised higher than just selling more than the god awful sales last year.

To be fair, everyone's pretty much accepted that the Vita has failed at this point, so improvement of any degree lessens the magnitude of the failure.

jeremy1456

To be fair, everyone's pretty much accepted that the Vita has failed at this point, so improvement of any degree lessens the magnitude of the failure.

You say that now, but even the slightest bump (even in the past few months) has caused unrealistic talk of 'raised baselines' and the like.

Four week of sales (half of them during December) and despite showing good legs thanks to holiday season it still haven't match Super Mario Sunshine opening. At least it is on path to cross half a million units, something that wasn't a lock when it was released. By the way, I wouldn't say Super Mario 3D World is helping too much to lift Wii U hardware sales, New Super Mario Bros. U + Wii Part U bundle is doing most of the work. In fact, Super Mario 3D World is the beneficiary.

[N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) {1996.06.23} - 45.665 / 393.546
[NDS] Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo) {2004.12.02} - 125.360 / 366.603
[GCN] Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) {2002.07.19} - 39.562 / 482.723
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) {2007.11.01} - 37.484 / 415.491
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) {2010.05.27} - 49.304 / 574.829
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} - 57.465 / 542.842
[WIU] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} - 60.318 / 245.889

Dead.

[PSX] Gran Turismo (Sony Computer Entertainment) {1997.12.23} - 129.731 / 778.381
[PSX] Gran Turismo 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {1999.12.11} - 261.741 / 1.010.321
[PS2] Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2001.04.28} - 262.941 / 731.332
[PS2] Gran Turismo 4 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2004.12.28} - 160.573 / 824.116
[PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2010.11.25} - 68.116 / 478.602
[PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.05} - 49.991 / 237.631

Wow this puts things in more perspective. The game is still selling pretty bad even with the holiday bump that will dissipate soon, and GT's decline is even more horrific.

Celine

Wow this puts things in more perspective. The game is still selling pretty bad even with the holiday bump that will dissipate soon, and GT's decline is even more horrific.
I believe it's a combination of anemic WiiU install base and the fact that at first sight it resembles 3D Land.

I think 3D World is going to have nice legs though if WiiU sales pick up (big if).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I believe it's a combination of anemic WiiU install base and the fact that at first sight it resembles 3D Land.

I think 3D World is going to have nice legs though if WiiU sales pick up (big if).

I think the biggest factor is that virtually every new Wii U owner since November 1 gets a Mario platformer in the box.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I agree. I think this game suffered on launch a lot from the Wii U being as dead as it was. Once people started playing it, I think there's some word of mouth going on during the holidays that's helping the game's sales.

It's still a ton better than what the game initially looked it was going to sell after the terrible launch week of 100k. Pokemon is also still selling really well. Could it pass Animal Crossing by the end of next year?

Nibel

Just saw the thread and the OP - great numbers all around, finally positivity almost everywhere!

I'm very happy to see the Attack On Titan game performing better than expected; love the anime and hope that we'll see another AOT video game on a dedicated gaming platform

z0m3le

Banned
No, this game is destined to fail. Nothing can save it.
Expectations are relative, I doubt the game is costing much to make, releasing it world wide should keep the project in the black. Especially considering how much attention the Internet is giving it. Front page on reddit, 40+page thread on neogaf hours after its reveal. Not saying it will do well in the land of the rising sun, or bring warriors fans to Nintendo's platforms, but it could do enough to broaden the Wii u library. Another exclusive game for wii u? Yes please

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Expectations are relative, I doubt the game is costing much to make, releasing it world wide should keep the project in the black. Especially considering how much attention the Internet is giving it. Front page on reddit, 40+page thread on neogaf hours after its reveal. Not saying it will do well in the land of the rising sun, or bring warriors fans to Nintendo's platforms, but it could do enough to broaden the Wii u library. Another exclusive game for wii u? Yes please

Exactly. If it makes a profit from Tecmo Koei (and doesn't cost Nintendo too much), it at least gives Nintendo an option for getting exclusive content for the Wii U that it doesn't typically have. If anything I think the Zelda name might help more in the West than in Japan.

Japan will be the territory with the softer decline for GT6 from GT5. At what country is it setting the charts on fire?

Ridge Racer is bombing everywhere, not only there.

And I don't get this continued sum of GT5 and GT5:p sales. Did different people buy the 2 versions?

Europe? I dunno but hopefully we will hear sales figures soon. GT5:p is part of GT5 so thats why I added them. By itself the rankings are:

GT3>GT4>GT5>GT>GT2

The thing is the racing market in the West has numerous other successful franchises as well but it seems in Japan the genre is totally dead. I think the relative decline will be the biggest in Japan for GT.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mario Kart begs to differ.

Saying Mario Kart and Gran Turismo are the same genre is a bit of a stretch.

It was definitely a mistake to release GT as a PS3 only game this late in the cycle especially with a PS4 version not coming anytime soon.

It doesn't help that the marketing for the game was terrible and there were hardly any new features that you can slap onto the back of the box.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They haven't mishandled the IP. The Ip still sells 10 million+, GT5 (if prologue is included) is the second best selling iteration. What is evident is the massive decline of the series in Japan due to the market just disappearing. It seems Japan is no longer into sim racers or even racing (Ridge racer decline).

Maybe GT7 will invigorate sales but right now I have zero faith it will do such a thing.

Eh GT6 doesn't seem to selling too hot from most accounts, in the UK it sold 5 times less than GT5 debut and we can have the full Japanese sales so far. Granted this isn't any where near the full pictured, but there's at least some indication this may be the lowest selling GT and perhaps by a significant amount.

jeremy1456

Saying Mario Kart and Gran Turismo are the same genre is a bit of a stretch.

All I heard was 'racing genre.' Is Mario Kart a platformer? Shooter? Which genre does it belong to if not racing?

I agree that they are far from being the same thing, but I was responding to the statement that the racing genre in general is done.

First year (52 weeks):

PS3 - 1,273,555
Wii U - 1,219,474
PSV - 1,074,621

First 54 weeks (current Wii U LTD)

Wii U - 1,343,139
PS3 - 1,341,304
PSV - 1,110,333

Head to head with PS3!

Steel

Banned
First year (52 weeks):

PS3 - 1,273,555
Wii U - 1,219,474
PSV - 1,074,621

Wii U - 1,343,139
PS3 - 1,341,304
PSV - 1,110,333

Head to head with PS3!

I think the fact that the vita ranks on that list pretty much destroys the worth of that comparison...
For the record I know this is tongue in cheek.

guek

Banned
No, this game is destined to fail. Nothing can save it.
Mind expanding on that a bit? At least clarify what you mean by "fail." Seems like it'd easily be a 100k title in Japan, 500k world wide which while not great wouldn't be a failure considering costs.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
First year (52 weeks):

PS3 - 1,273,555
Wii U - 1,219,474
PSV - 1,074,621

Wii U - 1,343,139
PS3 - 1,341,304
PSV - 1,110,333

Head to head with PS3!

At least it's beating something lol?.... Actually considering Wii U sales are nowhere near the terrible PS3 sales in the same timeframe in the US, I'm somewhat surprised that it's this close in Japan. They are all terrible numbers to be sure, but it's somewhat interesting. What were the GameCube's numbers in the same time frame btw?

Also why isn't Namco willing make to make Tales multiplatform? I still think a Nintendo audience would generally appreciate a Tales game on their platform, and Namco will still get their original fanbase that way. I wonder if Nintendo could pay for a port and maybe even help out a bit. Plenty of their devs are getting Wii U development experience after all (Smash, Wii Sports Club, Taiko).

Mind expanding on that a bit? At least clarify what you mean by "fail." Seems like it'd easily be a 100k title in Japan, 500k world wide which while not great wouldn't be a failure considering costs.

Easily 500k worldwide? Is this just because of the expectations Wii U owners will pick it up with the Zelda name on the box?

guek

Banned
Easily 500k worldwide? Is this just because of the expectations Wii U owners will pick it up with the Zelda name on the box?
Pretty much. Considering the response it's gotten I'd say so. I also don't think a 500k Ltd would be all that impressive.

jmizzal

First year (52 weeks):

PS3 - 1,273,555
Wii U - 1,219,474
PSV - 1,074,621

Wii U - 1,343,139
PS3 - 1,341,304
PSV - 1,110,333

Head to head with PS3!

This just shows the overreaction to Nintendo sales

Nintendo is not doomed and are fine, people seem to forget how badly GC and N64 got outsold by PS1 and PS2, Nintendo doesnt have to be in 1st place or right next to the top in console sales to survive, they just have to make money which they are making a lot of.

schuelma

Nintendo is not doomed and are fine, people seem to forget how badly GC and N64 got outsold by PS1 and PS2, Nintendo doesnt have to be in 1st place or right next to the top in console sales to survive, they just have to make money which they are making a lot of.

I agree only in the sense that I think they can eke out something in Japan.

The problem is they have utterly failed in the larger, Western markets.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I'm not sure where you're getting the "Nintendo is making a lot of money". The problem is that they weren't making that much money. They were doing decently with the 3DS and losing money with the Wii U. I think the 2DS makes Nintendo more money per unit, so that should help their bottom line at least. Advertising isn't cheap, especially since Nintendo finally started doing it.

This kind of nonsense is annoying to read. Nintendo is not making money on Wii U right now. And if people are really talking about Nintendo console business being in big trouble they are looking at the west, not in Japan where consoles aren't going to do well anyway.

Also just look at the lineup for Wii U in Japan. No one is releasing anything for it, so it's just going to be sitting on the shelves for weeks and weeks with no new releases. And the comparison to the N64 and GC is also awful when no Wii U game will probably ever outsell the top 3 GC games. So you have a console that will sell worse than any of their consoles before it with much higher production costs and you think there is no reason to be worried?

Sales of 3D World are relative to the userbase. If the install base was higher, the game would sell more

schuelma

And the comparison to the N64 and GC is also awful when no Wii U game will probably ever outsell the top 3 GC games.

Huh?

NSMB U would be at #5 on the total GCN list already and will easily outsell every single GCN game outside of Melee.

Not to mention Mario Kart and Smash coming next year.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
This kind of nonsense is annoying to read. Nintendo is not making money on Wii U right now. And if people are really talking about Nintendo console business being in big trouble they are looking at the west, not in Japan where consoles aren't going to do well anyway.

Also just look at the lineup for Wii U in Japan. No one is releasing anything for it, so it's just going to be sitting on the shelves for weeks and weeks with no new releases. And the comparison to the N64 and GC is also awful when no Wii U game will probably ever outsell the top 3 GC games. So you have a console that will sell worse than any of their consoles before it with much higher production costs and you think there is no reason to be worried?

Btw, I know the PS4 isn't out yet in Japan, but what does it have lined up for it? Apart from that Sengoku Basara game (I think this was the one) one PS4/3/2, what other Japanese games are on the schedule? I guess there's FFXV and KH3 at some point, and eventually a Tales game, but anything else so far?

The west will likely support it in Japan thankfully, but even the best selling Western title (like GTAV) barely seems to get over 500k on the decently sized install base of the PS3.

Huh?

NSMB U would be at #5 on the total GCN list already and will easily outsell every single GCN game outside of Melee.

Do you have a link to a list? Also, what do you mean by total?

guek

Banned
Huh?

Metalslimer's recent stance on Wii u tends to be 100% negative pretty much no matter what

Btw, I know the PS4 isn't out yet in Japan, but what does it have lined up for it? Apart from that Sengoku Basara game (I think this was the one) one PS4/3/2, what other Japanese games are on the schedule? I guess there's FFXV and KH3 at some point, and eventually a Tales game, but anything else so far?

The west will likely support it in Japan thankfully, but even the best selling Western title (like GTAV) barely seems to get over 500k on the decently sized install base of the PS3.

Do you have a link to a list? Also, what do you mean by total?

Well it's going to have pretty much same franchises as the PS3. So like you said FF and KH and then Tales of, RE, MGS, Gundam, Yakuza etc.

Top Bottom